Metal Storm logo
Ghost - Debut New Song

Psychedelic rockers Ghost just premiered a new song online! Currently working on new music to follow up the Grammy Award-winning album, Meliora, for now the occult gang debuts "Square Hammer". It's also perfect timing to premiere the song while they are touring in North America on their Popestar Tour. Hear it now at this location.

How do you like the new tune?

Source: blog.siriusxm.com
Band profile: Ghost
Posted: 12.09.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 26   Visited by: 219 users
12.09.2016 - 21:14
zikon

2spooky4me
----
"The poetry of the earth is never dead" John Keats
12.09.2016 - 21:25
Vombatus
Potorro
Dull radio rock for now. But Ghost always has some fillers, I do expect at least a few killer tunes overall.
12.09.2016 - 21:36
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Pretty awful. Seems like a rushed contract-filling kind of track. Meliora was really good, it would be nice if they could make a worthy follow-up.
12.09.2016 - 23:11
Netzach
Planewalker
This was really bad.
12.09.2016 - 23:46
Ocean Sage

Another cool Ghost song to me. I kind of wish they would use their heavier guitar tones from Opus Eponymous, but I still like this.
12.09.2016 - 23:50
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Yeah, i'm a bit disappointed. I don't dislike the song, I'll enjoy it when it comes on Octane but compared to all the other Singles they've put out, its by far the worst. Circe, From The Pinnacle To The Pit, Secular Haze, Year Zero, etc.... They all blow this tune out of the water.
13.09.2016 - 00:27
Spacerunner

The song seems to be a trial baloon to detect the direction for a new album.
13.09.2016 - 00:42
TheDarkWizard

I loved it.
13.09.2016 - 02:05
Overrwatcher

It's aight. Sounds like a lot of the stuff that plays on the radio nowadays, which usually I find to be some of the absolute dullest stuff made in a very long time, but this one had a pretty cool chorus.

I wish they kept the really weighty blues guitar tone from before though. Ghost inherently can't be a mainstream radio band because of their satanic image, so I don't understand the point of getting softer and softer.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
13.09.2016 - 07:03
Malignar

I didn't know there were modern radio rock stations? I don't think this is any softer than that dreadful super soft second album (other than year zero and maybe Depth of Satan's Eyes). I don't dislike this song. They definitely could have gone to a softer side than this. I do think they need to go back and listen to the Opus album to remember what they are. I also agree with the above comment that they shouldn't shoot for super mainstream success, as it appears they have been going for lately. The dark sound will hopefully come back on the other songs.
13.09.2016 - 12:49
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
I don't think this is an album single, it will be featured on their next EP which will feature four covers alongside this song, and given the songs they are covering, this original fits quite well.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
13.09.2016 - 12:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Overrwatcher on 13.09.2016 at 02:05

Ghost inherently can't be a mainstream radio band because of their satanic image, so I don't understand the point of getting softer and softer.

They already are a mainstream radio band over here.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.09.2016 - 13:25
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.09.2016 at 12:51

Ghost inherently can't be a mainstream radio band because of their satanic image, so I don't understand the point of getting softer and softer.

Agree with Marcel. Radio friendly music, tops album/single charts, headlines huge festivals, win a Grammy and even appear on a Late Night Show (in the US, their satanic imagery didn't prevent them). And the band is only 6 years old.

If that's not mainstream radio band, nothing is.
13.09.2016 - 14:08
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Capitalist rock.
13.09.2016 - 14:35
Overrwatcher

Written by Vombatus on 13.09.2016 at 13:25

Agree with Marcel. Radio friendly music, tops album/single charts, headlines huge festivals, win a Grammy and even appear on a Late Night Show (in the US, their satanic imagery didn't prevent them). And the band is only 6 years old.

Ah, I didn't know that things were different on the other side of the Atlantic.

Here in the US, literally the only thing that plays on the radio is Twenty One Pilots and the million bands that formed out of nowhere to try to sound like them but lack even a quarter of the charm. It's so horrifically dull, to the point where I miss the super sugary synthpop from only a few years back. At least that had personality. The absolute heaviest they will ever get is an occasional throwback thursday to Linkin Park's most radio-friendly songs. Or the one time I heard "Freak On A Leash" by Korn on the radio, but with the crazy babbling nu-metal breakdown cut super short so it was mostly just bass-heavy whining. The radios are so hyper squeaky clean, generic, and homogenized and it's awful.

Metal (and rock that hasn't lost what little balls it had) has some prevalence in America, but playing those on the radios won't pay the bills. The venues will sell out, yes, but radio is all about the masses. There are no niches in American radio. Even Ghost, as radio-friendly as their sound may be, is too controversial to play. Why alienate the conservative Christian crowd when you can just play "Stressed Out" by Twenty One Pilots for the thirtieth time that day and get guaranteed positive ratings? Talk shows don't really say much about radio prevalence, as Babymetal was on Colbert (an extremely popular and influential late night show that legitimately had a massive impact on American politics), and even they get absolutely zero play whatsoever. Ghost had by far the most accessible song at the Grammies compared to CUT ME UP AND FUCK ME UP Slipknot, growling Lamb of God, metalcore August Burns Red, and might-as-well-not-exist Sevendust.
----

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
13.09.2016 - 21:13
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by Malignar on 13.09.2016 at 07:03

I didn't know there were modern radio rock stations? I don't think this is any softer than that dreadful super soft second album (other than year zero and maybe Depth of Satan's Eyes). I don't dislike this song. They definitely could have gone to a softer side than this. I do think they need to go back and listen to the Opus album to remember what they are. I also agree with the above comment that they shouldn't shoot for super mainstream success, as it appears they have been going for lately. The dark sound will hopefully come back on the other songs.

Yep, there are. Sirius XM Octane is the biggest modern radio rock station. They even have a metal station, Liquid Metal.

Written by Overrwatcher on 13.09.2016 at 14:35

Written by Vombatus on 13.09.2016 at 13:25

Ah, I didn't know that things were different on the other side of the Atlantic.

Here in the US, literally the only thing that plays on the radio is Twenty One Pilots and the million bands that formed out of nowhere to try to sound like them but lack even a quarter of the charm. It's so horrifically dull, to the point where I miss the super sugary synthpop from only a few years back. At least that had personality. The absolute heaviest they will ever get is an occasional throwback thursday to Linkin Park's most radio-friendly songs. Or the one time I heard "Freak On A Leash" by Korn on the radio, but with the crazy babbling nu-metal breakdown cut super short so it was mostly just bass-heavy whining. The radios are so hyper squeaky clean, generic, and homogenized and it's awful.

Metal (and rock that hasn't lost what little balls it had) has some prevalence in America, but playing those on the radios won't pay the bills. The venues will sell out, yes, but radio is all about the masses. There are no niches in American radio. Even Ghost, as radio-friendly as their sound may be, is too controversial to play. Why alienate the conservative Christian crowd when you can just play "Stressed Out" by Twenty One Pilots for the thirtieth time that day and get guaranteed positive ratings? Talk shows don't really say much about radio prevalence, as Babymetal was on Colbert (an extremely popular and influential late night show that legitimately had a massive impact on American politics), and even they get absolutely zero play whatsoever. Ghost had by far the most accessible song at the Grammies compared to CUT ME UP AND FUCK ME UP Slipknot, growling Lamb of God, metalcore August Burns Red, and might-as-well-not-exist Sevendust.

I live in the US and Ghost is pretty big here. If you're listening to Pop stations they obviously aren't going to play Rock. You need to listen to rock stations to hear Ghost and they most likely will. All the big rock radio stations near me play them - Sirius XM Octane and WMMR. I live in Philly though so maybe its just the area.
13.09.2016 - 21:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Seems ok to me, but don't like this new vocal sound. Sounds less distinctive.
14.09.2016 - 02:15
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Its like the recent album mixed with The Police.

I dig
14.09.2016 - 02:42
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I was told there was gonna be a song. There's an interview...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
14.09.2016 - 02:49
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 14.09.2016 at 02:42

https://vid.me/nI9H

Got you covered
14.09.2016 - 15:18
Overrwatcher

Written by WorpeX on 13.09.2016 at 21:13
I live in the US and Ghost is pretty big here. If you're listening to Pop stations they obviously aren't going to play Rock. You need to listen to rock stations to hear Ghost and they most likely will. All the big rock radio stations near me play them - Sirius XM Octane and WMMR. I live in Philly though so maybe its just the area.

Here in the Orange County and LA area there are literally zero hard rock/metal stations. The only time I have ever heard anything remotely close to metal play on the radio here was on KXLU 88.9, which is an eclectic radio station that has metal in a very tiny minority. There is no rock here unless you are fine with listening to the same recycled stuff from the 80's. All of the stations say they are "playing the hottest rock" and then goes from Coldplay to Mumford & Sons to Twenty One PIlots. I don't want to shit on any of those bands (I actually enjoy Twenty One Pilots outside of the godawful "Ride"), but they're so respectively pop/bluegrass/hip-hop influenced that you can't even call them rock. I wish they played Ghost. I wish they played rock made in the past 20 years that actually sounds like rock.

I don't count satellite radio, because the subscription costs inherently make the stations quality over quantity.
----

14.09.2016 - 15:36
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by Overrwatcher on 14.09.2016 at 15:18

Written by WorpeX on 13.09.2016 at 21:13

Here in the Orange County and LA area there are literally zero hard rock/metal stations. The only time I have ever heard anything remotely close to metal play on the radio here was on KXLU 88.9, which is an eclectic radio station that has metal in a very tiny minority. There is no rock here unless you are fine with listening to the same recycled stuff from the 80's. All of the stations say they are "playing the hottest rock" and then goes from Coldplay to Mumford & Sons to Twenty One PIlots. I don't want to shit on any of those bands (I actually enjoy Twenty One Pilots outside of the godawful "Ride"), but they're so respectively pop/bluegrass/hip-hop influenced that you can't even call them rock. I wish they played Ghost. I wish they played rock made in the past 20 years that actually sounds like rock.

I don't count satellite radio, because the subscription costs inherently make the stations quality over quantity.

Sounds like a business opportunity to me. Start your own Rock Station in LA!
14.09.2016 - 16:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Karlabos on 14.09.2016 at 02:42

It starts off with a short interview and then the song starts.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.09.2016 - 16:13
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.09.2016 at 16:08

a short interview

It's half the song =p

Anyway, this track was pretty bland.
I'm looking forward for silly dark wannabe catchy tracks, but if they start playing average heavy metal then it's not worthy anymore
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
14.09.2016 - 16:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
The chorus is incredibly catchy. Total ABBA worship. Btw nothing heavy metal about the song. Rock, yes, heavy metal, nope.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.09.2016 - 17:26
Akula

This is so pathetic lol. Shitty band.

Hits total: 3543 | This month: 8