Metallica will headline the 10th installment of the Download festival at Donington Park on Saturday, June 9th, 2012, with an exclusive U.K. performance of the band's album Metallica. It will be the eighth time the California metal titans will have played at Donington during their three-decade-long career, having previously performed at both Monsters Of Rock and Download festivals.

The band announced it on their official website: "And our first announcement brings us to the most hallowed of rock grounds, Donington Park, for our return to the Download Festival. The three day festival runs from June 8-10 and we take the stage right smack in the middle of it on Saturday, June 9, 2012."

"This year's European trek has a twist... to help celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Download Festival, the dudes who run it asked us how we felt about playing The Black Album in its entirety and we thought 'hold on, that could be really cool since it is technically the tail-end of the 20th anniversary of the release (August '91).' So come hang with us for the 2012 version of our European Summer Vacation featuring The Black Album, with the exclusive stop in the UK on June 9."

Download 2012 takes place at Donington Park on June 8-10, 2012. Weekend with camping tickets go on sale at 9 a.m. on Friday, November 18th, from this location.

Source: metallica.com
Band profile: Metallica

Posted: 13.11.2011 by warensemble

Comments

malaikat - 13.11.2011 at 13:39
One question: are they ever going to play something out of LULU live? Ever?

Thought so.
Angelic Storm - 13.11.2011 at 13:48
The best thing about this is, at last maybe the best song on the album "Struggle Within" will finally be played live, as will "Don't Tread On Me" which has also never been played live.

@Malaikat: They already have, last week on a tv show over here they played some songs from "Lulu" live with Lou Reed. For your "viewing" pleasure! James' first public announcement of being a table.

malaikat - 13.11.2011 at 14:22
Holy mother of god.

Plus, is this Jules Holland? I thought are they ever going to play it live in a concert, like "Lulu World Tour" or something (how many albums made by "great" bands are never promoted via touring? thats' right)

But this... Just wow.

EDIT: I love how James and Co. are trying to look "heavy" with all that forced body gestures. Overacting if I ever saw one done by a metal band.
vezzy - 13.11.2011 at 14:35
Written by malaikat on 13.11.2011 at 14:22

Shouldn't come as a surprise. It's not like they haven't been doing it all the time before.
Angelic Storm - 13.11.2011 at 14:39
Written by malaikat on 13.11.2011 at 14:22

Holy mother of god.

But this... Just wow.

Haha...

Yep, it's Jools Holland all right! His live music show is on every week over here. Well, Metallica are gearing up for their next album, so I don't think there'll be any world tour for "Lulu", which is a small mercy I guess. lol
K†ulu - 13.11.2011 at 14:40
Well, pretty cool if you ask me. James' voice probably suits best to perform the black album than any other. Of course, Kill 'Em All or Justice would be kind of more interesting to watch and for them to play but again, only as long as Kirk does not screw the soloing up. They played Master in 2006 and that was pretty awesome, so Black should be great too.
malaikat - 13.11.2011 at 14:43
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.11.2011 at 14:39

Haha...

Aw, man, I miss Jools. They used to show the re-runs in my country, but they stopped after a couple of seasons, a damn shame

And, I agree, a small mercy on their behalf. Nay, a GREAT mercy actually :/
Angelic Storm - 13.11.2011 at 14:57
Written by malaikat on 13.11.2011 at 14:43

And, I agree, a small mercy on their behalf. Nay, a GREAT mercy actually :/

Jools is awesome, he plays all different styles of music on his show, including metal. I really enjoy watching it. It's a shame you can't get it over there anymore.

It is a great mercy, "Lulu" is something best thought of as an unfortunate mistake and it should be forgotten as soon as possible. lol
Unhealer - 13.11.2011 at 15:22
This will be great. Sucks that they played MOP in 2006 and now BA in 2012... but no Justice on 2009?
Play "Frayed Ends of Sanity" sometime at least.

LOOOOOOOOOL at The View played live xD.
At 2:25 Lou Reed singing " WHO ACTIVELY DESPIIIIISES YOUUUUU" with that face and voice implying "GUYS WAKE UP FROM PLAYING THAT BORING RIFF, SWITCH TO JAMES'S SECTION WAS LIKE 10 SECONDS AGO" and then James warns Lars who probably was thinking of something else while playing.
Nemo Atkins - 13.11.2011 at 16:02
Written by Unhealer on 13.11.2011 at 15:22

Play "Frayed Ends of Sanity" sometime at least.

Well, Justice isn't as much of a classic album as Puppets (one of the three thrash masterpiece albums of '86) and The Black Album (one of the best selling albums of all time), but I agree, they really need to do some more stuff from Justice. Maybe "The Shortest Straw"...
Warman - 13.11.2011 at 16:10
Entire black album live? So what? Yeah, I'd pay to see it and would probably be pleased afterwards. But I'd much rather have 12 songs from the first three albums.
Unhealer - 13.11.2011 at 16:17
Written by Nemo Atkins on 13.11.2011 at 16:02

Written by Unhealer on 13.11.2011 at 15:22

Play "Frayed Ends of Sanity" sometime at least.

But Justice is my favorite album, doesn't Metallica care about that? Huh? Don't they care about me?
They just won't stop betraying their fans... I hate them!!!!! MOMMYYYYY!!!!

BTW, they are playing the shortest straw lately. I think they are only missing "Frayed" and "To Live is to Die" live.
Nemo Atkins - 13.11.2011 at 16:37
Written by Unhealer on 13.11.2011 at 16:17

They just won't stop betraying their fans... I hate them!!!!! MOMMYYYYY!!!!

Well, they can't really get any lower after releasing Lulu.

I didn't know about the last bit. Well, here's hopes to "Frayed" being played live.
vezzy - 13.11.2011 at 16:45
Written by Nemo Atkins on 13.11.2011 at 16:37

Well, they can't really get any lower after releasing Lulu.

Yes, they can.

Imagine Metallica trying to do drone, because some random musician wanted to collab with them.
Unhealer - 13.11.2011 at 16:53
Written by vezzy on 13.11.2011 at 16:45

Yes, they can.

Then I... Jizzed.In.My Pants

Sunn O))) and Metallica collaboration please. Well, I don't think that is going to happen after the song title for their cover of For Whom the Bell Tolls
Milena - 13.11.2011 at 18:40
Written by malaikat on 13.11.2011 at 14:43

Well here is one idiot who never watched those reruns
Fat & Sassy! - 13.11.2011 at 19:35
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.11.2011 at 13:48
For your "viewing" pleasure! James' first public announcement of being a table.

*approves*
I see what you did there. lulz for everyone! x3
Mattybu - 13.11.2011 at 20:20
Damn you think they could at least play all of Lulu, then they wouldn't be playing their worst album in it's entirety!!
Bad English - 13.11.2011 at 20:36
After bulu or zulu whatw as name of that crap they wanna go beck to old glory days, it wont work, its eb fun non would attend
Zullus are in Birmingham
Troy Killjoy - 13.11.2011 at 21:52
Why not Lulu?
SBGMetal - 13.11.2011 at 22:34
The black album really? fudge that shit
Captain Obvious - 13.11.2011 at 23:59
Am I the only person here who notices the irony that they'll be playing it in front of a sellout crowd?
Angelic Storm - 14.11.2011 at 01:23
Written by Unhealer on 13.11.2011 at 15:22

Play "Frayed Ends of Sanity" sometime at least.

Yep, Frayed Ends Of Sanity is a song that they've never played live in full, which is a shame as it is an awesome song.

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 13.11.2011 at 19:35
*approves*
I see what you did there. lulz for everyone! x3

I actually thought about not using quotation marks, but I decided that putting them in would help people get what I was meaning. xD
JCJen7 - 14.11.2011 at 05:21
I feel like I have been misunderstanding something this whole time. To me, it sounds like James clearly says "tablet" not "table"....am I missing a joke somewhere?
Troy Killjoy - 14.11.2011 at 05:48
Written by JCJen7 on 14.11.2011 at 05:21

People misinterpreting Hetfield?
Ritual_Suicide - 14.11.2011 at 07:55
Why people still expect these guys to make anything even half-decent is beyond me.
Angelic Storm - 14.11.2011 at 08:47
Written by JCJen7 on 14.11.2011 at 05:21

To me, James only sings "tablet" once. (and there's no mistaking it, he definitely sings it once) In his vocal section near the end of the song, it sounds very much like he's saying "table" not tablet. In any case, he's not just a table, he's the view, the progress, the aggressor, the 10 storeys... Obviously Lou Reed saying he's actively despised just before that section makes James angry...

Written by Ritual_Suicide on 14.11.2011 at 07:55

Because their last album actually was decent...
JCJen7 - 14.11.2011 at 09:33
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.11.2011 at 08:47

Oh, i guess I have never gotten that far into the song
The Shape 1973 - 14.11.2011 at 22:36
I've always liked the Black Album. It was my first taste of Metallica. They have not done anything as good as this since and its sooo much better than Justice (did I hear the bass?...No thought not).
DrunkenFuck - 15.11.2011 at 08:39
Yay a set full of boring mid-tempo heavy metal... Fuck that.
Angelic Storm - 15.11.2011 at 10:22
Written by JCJen7 on 14.11.2011 at 09:33
Oh, i guess I have never gotten that far into the song

Aha! Now it makes sense why you've never heard "I am the table".

Written by The Shape 1973 on 14.11.2011 at 22:36

I like the Black Album, although I think Justice is better. But the fact there's literally no bass in the album mix is something that's always irritated me about that album's sound. Great songs, awful production. Bob Rock takes a lot of flak, and most of it justified. But I can't deny he did a great production job on the Black Album. Every instrument sounds great, including the (now audible) bass. lol
Marcel Hubregtse - 15.11.2011 at 19:27
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.11.2011 at 13:48

I am pretty sure they have played 'Don't Tread On Me' live during their headlining tour they did to promote Metallica. Of the three shows they did in Rotterdam on I think four nights I can clearly remember them playing it twice.
Marcel Hubregtse - 15.11.2011 at 19:34
Oops that was two nights Rotterdam the third night was a month later in Den Bosch
sorry for not getting it straight in one go. But we're talking about November and December 1992 on their Wherever I May Roam tour.
Btw the Den Bosch date was the 25th and last time I saw Metallica live. Never seen them live again I think. Unless them playing outdoor in Rotterdam with Megadeth and Suicidal Tendencies was June 1993 and not June 1991
Angelic Storm - 15.11.2011 at 21:27
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.11.2011 at 19:27

You must be mistaken. "Don't Tread On Me" has never been played live, and James has stated that he doesn't really like the song, which is why it hasn't been played live. But looking at the official setlists for all 3 shows you mentioned, confirms the song was not played at either of them.

Nov 7th, 1992 - Ahoy, Rotterdam, Netherlands:

Intro/The Ecstasy of Gold (Ennio Morricone song)
1. Enter Sandman
2. Creeping Death
3. Harvester of Sorrow
4. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
5. Sad But True
6. Wherever I May Roam
7. The Unforgiven
8. Justice Medley
9. Bass Solo
10. Guitar Solo
11. Through the Never
12. For Whom the Bell Tolls
13. Fade to Black
14. Master of Puppets (Short Version)
15. Seek & Destroy (Extended Version)
16. Whiplash

Encore:
17. Nothing Else Matters
18. Am I Evil? (Diamond Head cover)
19. Last Caress (Misfits cover)
20. One
21. Battery

Encore 2:
22. Stone Cold Crazy

Nov 8th, 1992 - Ahoy, Rotterdam, Netherlands:

The same setlist as above, except tracks 20 and 21 are replaced by Damage Inc. and Breadfan.

Dec 7th, 1992 - Hertogenbosch, Netherlands:

Same setlist as the Nov 8th Rotterdam show except, the Justice Medley was replaced by Of Wolf And Man. And 23 songs were played rather than 22. The extra song played this night is Motorbreath. (Track 22 before the last track Breadfan)
JCJen7 - 05.12.2011 at 00:41
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.11.2011 at 10:22

Written by JCJen7 on 14.11.2011 at 09:33
Oh, i guess I have never gotten that far into the song

Aha! Now it makes sense why you've never heard "I am the table".

Haha ok I just watched the video all the way through, and got to the point where James repeatedly yells "I am the table". LOL that joke and the pictures just go sooo much funnier, when before I thought everyone was just stupid! lollolololol "I AM THE TABLE!"

News Pentagram - To Perform Entire 'Relentless' Album At Power Of The Riff East Festival 7 24.08.2012 by Lit.
News Iron Maiden - Headlining Download Festival 2013, Steve Harris Solo Album Streaming 5.5 20.09.2012 by Void Eater
News Resurrecturis - Entire Album Available For Free Download 5.5 03.07.2009 by Syk
News Kekal - Almost Entire New Album Available For Download 5.5 24.12.2008 by Dane Train
News Cattle Decapitation - Entire New Album Streaming Online, Join Shockwave Festival Tour 5.5 05.05.2012 by Troy Killjoy