Swedish dark rockers Katatonia will be recording their ninth full-length album in the first months of 2012 and plan to release it before the summer.

The band posted an update on their official website: "2011 has been a very busy year mostly out on the road and we'd like to thank everyone who came out to see us! Also thanks to all our friends, families and the loyal 'Katatoniacs' worldwide for showing support. We know you're impatient to know what's up next and in brief the big news are that the first couple of months of 2012 will see us hard at work on the recording of our 9th album and if everything goes according to plan the album will be out before summer. We're also busy on a double duty finishing up the Last Fair Day Gone Night anniversary DVD. More info on all of this as we take the step over to the other side, but today we just wanna have a toast and wish everyone a happy new year! Cheers!"

Source: katatonia.com
Band profile: Katatonia

Posted: 01.01.2012 by kual21

Comments

annodomini - 01.01.2012 at 14:42
It's already this year
Kenos - 01.01.2012 at 14:58
Then I already know this is going to be a great year for my life.
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.01.2012 at 15:03
Hopefully they will regain the fire they totally lost on the latest two of their albums
Mr. Doctor - 01.01.2012 at 15:25
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.01.2012 at 15:03

I'll have a low profile here and just hope the dvd is good, I liked the previous one
But yeah, hopefully this one would be good. Although I didn't have much problem with The Great Cold Distance but that's just me.
zero - 01.01.2012 at 17:21
CAN'T WAIT
BloodTears - 01.01.2012 at 17:39
Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.01.2012 at 15:25

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.01.2012 at 15:03

Me neither. I quite liked TGCD.
Frankthetank727 - 01.01.2012 at 18:37
Night is the New Day is my personal favorite by them and I think their songwriting skills really came together on that album so strongly. Definitely looking forward to this album
Kenos - 01.01.2012 at 18:42
Written by Frankthetank727 on 01.01.2012 at 18:37

Sojgenske - 01.01.2012 at 19:27
2012 smells so good
Slayer666 - 01.01.2012 at 19:33
Nice. I enjoyed NITND a lot, hopefully they'll dish out something as good.
Troy Killjoy - 01.01.2012 at 20:29
I don't know why I still bother with them since the last album of theirs I enjoyed was released in '98.
Mr. Doctor - 01.01.2012 at 21:12
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.01.2012 at 20:29

Discouraged Ones is one of my top 3 Katatonia albums And considering it's their third album, I guess it's the same with you hahahaha. Why don't you enjoy the others? Tonight's Decision is quite meh but I found Viva Emptiness to be a strong one.
slavc79 - 01.01.2012 at 21:14
...and now i know - this will be a great year form me!!!
Troy Killjoy - 01.01.2012 at 21:16
Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.01.2012 at 21:12

It's not in my top 3 actually, that goes to Brave Murder Day, Dance of December Souls, and For Funerals to Come.

I don't enjoy their other releases after DO because I honestly felt like they kept watering down their sound with every release.
Mr. Doctor - 01.01.2012 at 21:19
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.01.2012 at 21:16

Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.01.2012 at 21:12

Well fuck off DO is the tits.
Troy Killjoy - 01.01.2012 at 21:21
Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.01.2012 at 21:19
Well fuck off DO is the tits.

DO sounds like it was made by a bunch of men with tits.

Nah, in all seriousness I like it for what it is. Subsequent releases? Not so much. The Night is the New Day or whatever was particularly bad. I mean it was good for like... mellow alternative music, but it's not what I'd call a standout release.
Mr. Doctor - 01.01.2012 at 21:26
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.01.2012 at 21:21

DO sounds like it was made by a bunch of men with tits.

It all comes down to personal opinions as always I can dig it.
Dark Blood - 01.01.2012 at 22:16
I enjoyed the last 2 albums. Despite the slight musical change, I think they were pretty good Katatonia albums.

Definitely looking forward to this one.
ryche76 - 01.01.2012 at 23:00
Great news !!!!! I am looking forward to hearing what they come up with the new album. "Night Is The New Day" and "The Great Cold Distance" were fantastic. CANT WAIT !!!!
Morteza K. - 02.01.2012 at 08:35
Great news.
Night Sight - 03.01.2012 at 21:28
I enjoyed their last fair gone done and brave murder day
i consider them their best effort
tea[m]ster - 12.01.2012 at 01:53
I listened to their entire discography and for me NiTND is by far their best effort. I hope the new album is similar in style and production. I couldn't get into the other stuff
Mr. Doctor - 12.01.2012 at 13:32
Written by tea[m]ster on 12.01.2012 at 01:53

Hmmmyeaaaaah, I'll just say I strongly disagree and leave it there.
strade - 18.01.2012 at 08:02
I can't freaking wait for this. Night is the New Day was absolutely perfect (to me). That one might be in my favorite albums of all time list soon. If it's even close to as good as that, it'll land in my top 10 for the year.

News Nachtmystium - To Release New Album Next Year 8.5 04.09.2009 by BitterCOld
News Drudkh - To Release New Album Next Year 8.5 17.11.2011 by Daniell
News Ephel Duath - To Release New Album Next Year 8.5 16.10.2012 by Black Conundrum
News Unisonic - New Label, Debut EP & Album Next Year 7 14.10.2011 by Metal Invader
News Amorphis - Releasing New Album Next Year, Announce Finnish Tour Dates 7 22.08.2012 by MeloDeathViking