According to bialystok.gazeta.pl, a series of religious protests against the Behemoth's Phoenix Rising Tour in Poland have taken place in several cities. One live show scheduled for late this month is already cancelled, while the rest of the tour is now being questioned because of the heavy protests of the religious organizations.

In an open letter addressed to the mayor of Białystok, the band's frotman Nergal is called "scandalist and hostile to Christianity". Opponents to the concert say that in Białystok, which is also called ''the city of mercy'', this kind of event should not be allowed to happen, and that they will attend to stop any other similar event in the future. Some of them have also addressed the President Tadeusz Truskolaski himself, asking him to ''launch any available instrument of power'' if necessary. However, the president stated that the concert is held without the participation of the city and that the state has no rights to intervene because of a private initiative. Organizers of the concert criticized the protests by saying that nobody in their right mind would protest against any variety of art.

As a reminder, Nergal has been previously charged for a Bible bashing during a live show in Gdynia in September 2007. He reportedly called the Catholic Church "the most murderous cult on the planet" and tore up the copy of the Bible onstage. This event has instantly called a ''promotion of Satanism'' by the head of the All-Polish Committee for Defence Against Sects and the band got sued.

Source: bialystok.gazeta.pl
Band profile: Behemoth

Posted: 21.01.2012 by bokimaniac

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

afu - 29.01.2012 at 08:57
Written by 4look4rd on 25.01.2012 at 20:51

The same way I hate over the top religious people I hate over the top atheists too. This is the proof that the common answer to ignorance is even more mindless ignorance, then the two sides argue that the other is wrong when in fact both are full of shit.

Is it really necessary to vandalize a book that is so important to so many people (I'm not just talking about the Christian Bible, but any type of holy scripture) just to prove a point? Be against Christianity all you want, but be respectful while you are doing that. Because if you aren't then you are just as bad as those religious freaks that annoy you so much.

I personally do not have a problem with Christianity, I believe that it teaches very good moral lessons and I also believe that faith is important on anyone's life (regardless of where you put your faith in). The problem lies with religion itself but thats because, just like any other human-made institution, it is used to distort words and manipulate people.

Considering that I've studied the Bible to be a preacher and was a Christian for 16 years, I'd say I know what's in the book. It isn't very moral and I don't find it very useful for modern people. Religion was an explanation of what people saw around them. They made shit up and most people believed in one lie or another if it sounded good, because they were fairly superstitious and science did not exist.

In the Bible: the world was flat and Babylon would have reached Heaven, because it was just beyond the firmament; natural disasters were God's wrath; women were inferior to the point of being property; you could kill your kids for talking back; women had to marry their rapists; God destroyed humanity, killed a bunch of people in Egypt and then told man not to kill; he followed that commandment up by sending Joshua's army to the promised land to commit genocide; Lot fucked his daughters after getting drunk; you can't eat pigs and that's just fucked up, because bacon is delicious; and the Jesus Movement of the early CE, by it's own accounts in the Gospels, was little more than a doomsday cult, as Jesus was supposed to return in the lifetime of his original followers to take them to heaven before the end of the world, but those accounts may not be accurate as the first one (Mark) wasn't written until a little more than 20 years after Jesus was supposed to have died at Golgotha and people most likely would have already elaborated on the life of "The Messiah". Those are just off the top of my head and I don't find much of it useful today or moral in any way.

I might occasionally be an asshole, but I don't speak unless I know at least a bit about what I'm saying. Besides, you're on a Metal website in a thread about a band that hates Christianity. What did you expect?

Personally, I pray to Joe Pesci.
VloRD - 29.01.2012 at 18:37
Primitive. Ignorant. Religious is the enemy number one for free speech. Free speech is the most important aspect of a liberal society. A liberal society is the reason we have a thin strand of sanity still left over.
4look4rd - 30.01.2012 at 04:53
Written by Cill O' Connor on 28.01.2012 at 14:33

What about freedom of speech? You think it should be illegal to rip pages out of the Bible, whether on or off stage? Like someone above said, we might as well be back in the Dark Ages if that's the case.

I do not think that ripping the pages of the Bible should be made illegal. But this just shares way too many similarities with the guy that wanted to burn the Q'ran. What would he have accomplished other than piss a bunch of people off? If Polish society is indeed so far behind when it comes to accepting different philosophies, is the best way to change things to denounce/mock/vandalize their believes to proof how much they are wrong? Freedom of expression is a beautiful concept and should be protected by all means. But we should also know how to express ourselves.

What Nergal did was the same as wearing an Arsenal jersey while surrounded by passionate Liver Pool fans. Its not illegal, it shouldn't be illegal, he shouldn't have to face consequences, but it is an incredibly stupid idea given the context and setting. In my opinion what he should do, if opposing Christianity is indeed so important to him, is to change how Polish society thinks. Sure thats a lot harder than getting on the stage and ripping pages from a book, but thats how it should be done.

I am not supporting the law-suits or the ban, I think they are ridiculous. But I believe that Nergal should have been aware of the consequences of his acts (even if there was nothing legally wrong with them), and that he could have accomplished his goal in more effective/less destructive way.

Written by afu on 29.01.2012 at 08:57

Personally, I pray to Joe Pesci.

I don't want to dispute any of your claims since you probably knows more about the Bible than I do. I do not follow any religion, but I have a deep respect for all of them. I would like to add a few things though:

All texts are a reflection a reflection of where and when they were written. If treating women like property was a common practice back then, than its very unlikely that the Bible would have opposed that. Texts are outdated the minute that they are written, and thats one of the biggest problems with religion.

I would also like to say that religious texts are not meant to be scientific text books. I love science, I was actually studying Astronomy and Physics (before getting sucked in the awesome world of Economics!), and I believe that Science and Religion are so unrelated (as much as people want to think other wise) that they are fully capable of coexisting in harmony. Most of the Christians that I admire actually believe that the Bible is metaphorical and it should not be interpreted word for word. Societies change, people progress, its our job to do just that. I still believe, however, that there are a lot of good things to be learned from Christianity, Judaism, Islam, or any other religion but we most be capable of thinking by ourselves and finding out what can apply to us and what cannot.
BloodFireDeath - 30.01.2012 at 10:43
Written by Lit. on 26.01.2012 at 22:24

Written by Burebista on 26.01.2012 at 03:30

Written by BloodFireDeath on 25.01.2012 at 06:25

Written by Burebista on 21.01.2012 at 16:50

It is time to kick ass of those fucking shit satanists. I love what happened. Go Christians Poland!

Do you even know what Satanism is? It certainly has a lot less killing, murder, and hatred than your christian religion.

Pra começar vc deveria pegar na minha rola e sentar em cima. Poland's motto: In God we trust, in Behemoth we fuck. Falando nisso, talvez seria melhor que a sua mãe sentasse na minha rola, seu satanista otário.

English please. I love and respect your language but I do not know it.
BloodFireDeath - 30.01.2012 at 10:43
Written by Lit. on 26.01.2012 at 22:24

Written by Burebista on 26.01.2012 at 03:30

Written by BloodFireDeath on 25.01.2012 at 06:25

Written by Burebista on 21.01.2012 at 16:50

English please. I love and respect your language but I do not know it.
Cill O' Connor - 30.01.2012 at 14:37
Written by 4look4rd on 30.01.2012 at 04:53

Written by Cill O' Connor on 28.01.2012 at 14:33

The guy who wanted to burn the Qu'ran was going to burn hundreds of them and any threat of retaliation posed by it was the media's fault for giving him so much coverage. It's not really comparable to Nergal ripping a few pages out of one Bible.

It's not the same as wearing an Arsenal jersey when surrounded by Liverpool fans because I can guarantee that most of the people at the Behemoth show at the very least either knew exactly what they were in for and what the sentiments of the band is regarding religion OR they themselves were already opposed to religion. So it's actually more comparable to wearing an Arsenal jersey in a room full of Arsenal fans and saying how much you hate Liverpool.

The point is that although it's clear you believe he should have gone about it a different way, he is not and should not be forbidden from dissing the Bible and tearing a few pages out. And Christians getting up in arms about any criticism to their beliefs only fuels the whole thing even more.
Warman - 02.02.2012 at 15:37
Dude... Chill...

Pages: 1 [2]

News Behemoth - Court Rules Against Frontman In Bible-Tearing Case 6.5 30.10.2012 by Bad English
News Behemoth - Announce 666 Years Of Bydgoszcz Special Show 4.5 15.12.2011 by Baz Anderson
News Behemoth - New Video, More Album Details Revealed 4.5 04.12.2013 by