"March To The Sea", a new song from US sludge metal quartet Baroness is now available for your streaming pleasure below. The song comes off the band's new double album Yellow & Green, set for release on July 17th via Relapse Records. The single March To The Sea is now available on iTunes. More album details, including the tracklist and artwork, were previously reported here.

"Take My Bones Away", another song from the new album, is still streaming at this location.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Baroness

Posted: 14.06.2012 by BudDa

Comments

snake? snaaaake! - 14.06.2012 at 12:49
Mind-numbingly boring. Well at least I wont have expectations anymore.
Ozman - 14.06.2012 at 12:52
My God, this is as bad as the first song off the album they featured. Let's hope that's the two worst songs of the new album out of the way. But I doubt it.
Mr. Doctor - 14.06.2012 at 13:22
Booooooooooooooooooring.
Lokaeda - 14.06.2012 at 13:23
Disappointing, that's the word.
Spirit Molecule - 14.06.2012 at 13:56
Even the new tee design sucks
I would have still bought it if it were good. I'm a fan of John D as well.
!J.O.O.E.! - 14.06.2012 at 15:09
Sounds like they're trying to do one of Kylesa's poppy songs from their last album, but failing big style.
Spirit Molecule - 14.06.2012 at 15:14
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 14.06.2012 at 15:09

I thought Kylesa did it really well, these guys not so much. Sorta like Mastodon failing with The Hunter.
!J.O.O.E.! - 14.06.2012 at 15:21
Written by Spirit Molecule on 14.06.2012 at 15:14

Kylesa had that nice, psychedelic twist to it. This just sounds straight up and meh.
BlueMobius - 14.06.2012 at 15:24
Written by Ozman on 14.06.2012 at 12:52

I'm afraid it's going to be more of that. Decibel did a big feature on the album in its latest issue and pretty much the whole album is a lot more accessible and "poppy" than the band's previous music.
Unhealer - 14.06.2012 at 15:56
Great song! But I'm guessing I'll be over this record with only a couple of listens.
Troy Killjoy - 14.06.2012 at 16:23
I suppose we can stop referring to them as sludge metallers.

Alt-rockers? This sounds like a track from one of EA's NHL games...
Mr. Doctor - 14.06.2012 at 16:30
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.06.2012 at 16:23
I suppose we can stop referring to them as sludge metallers.

Finally!

Okay... It's not like I hate the band, I dig the first two records but I always hated the fact that when there was a discussion about sludge one of the very first things to come up was Baroness and I'm like... what? I mean yeah, they were kinda sludgy but always soooo light that they hardly represent the genre at all to me. Always considered them a sort of alternative metal with rocking moments, cool 70's ideas and some sludge elements here and there.
Spirit Molecule - 14.06.2012 at 16:47
Written by Mr. Doctor on 14.06.2012 at 16:30

Finally!

Okay... It's not like I hate the band, I dig the first two records but I always hated the fact that when there was a discussion about sludge one of the very first things to come up was Baroness and I'm like... what? I mean yeah, they were sludge but always soooo light that they hardly represent the genre at all to me. Always considered them a sort of alternative metal with rocking moments, cool 70's ideas and some sludge elements here and there.

Baroness "were" sludge lite. They had sludge elements in quite a few songs. There always seems to be discussion with regard to sludge coz its such a varied genre.
Anyway they're "Sludge Not" now
Mr. Doctor - 14.06.2012 at 16:49
Written by Spirit Molecule on 14.06.2012 at 16:47
Baroness "were" sludge lite. They had sludge elements in quite a few songs.

I definitely recognise that I just fail to understand how one of the first words some people think is "Baroness" the moment they hear the word "sludge".
Spirit Molecule - 14.06.2012 at 16:54
Written by Mr. Doctor on 14.06.2012 at 16:49

Ah right. Not sure about first name that pops up.
I would definitely bring them up
Anyway I guess its sorta similar to people getting pissed when Dimmu or CoF are the first words when people think black metal?
Void Eater - 14.06.2012 at 19:12
Well this is odd. I'd expect everybody here to be praising this and saying that anybody who dislikes this is just a "close minded kvlt elitist lololol go back 2 ur black metal demo tapes" while I would be bashing it... On the contrary, I'm really liking this...
PocketMetal - 14.06.2012 at 19:26
Well I got bored with their previous releases , I'm gonna risk coma listening to this one .
2 discs = borefest
Lit. - 14.06.2012 at 19:26
Quote:
Written by Spirit Molecule on 14.06.2012 at 15:14

Sorta like Mastodon failing with The Hunter.

Mastodon did great with the Hunter becuase they figured out the right way to make songs commercial with losing the Mastodon sound. Baroness, if they were attempting to do so, fail at this epically.
Mr. Doctor - 14.06.2012 at 19:34
Written by Lit. on 14.06.2012 at 19:26

You mean "without", right? Becuase otherwise your argument fails.
Lit. - 14.06.2012 at 20:19
Written by Mr. Doctor on 14.06.2012 at 19:34

Written by Lit. on 14.06.2012 at 19:26

You mean "without", right? Becuase otherwise your argument fails.

I just woke up, man. Cut me some slack.
EdguyAsFuck - 14.06.2012 at 20:21
Well, I guess I can't say I'm surprised at the hate the new material is getting, but if the rest of the album is as catchy and hard-rocking as these two new songs I'll be lumping this with my favorites of 2012.
TrollandDie - 15.06.2012 at 00:28
Written by EdguyAsFuck on 14.06.2012 at 20:21

I like it as a chirpy and upbeat tune. Maybe not a future ''When The Kite String Pops'' in the works but I wouldn't mind listening to tracks of this caliber on lazy summer days. Speaking of other sludge bands, I think it's fair to say that the sludge elements are pretty much in trace amounts at this stage but that's fine too; makes it easier to relax to some decent alt-rock.
Ace Frawley - 15.06.2012 at 00:31
I don't mind straight-laced rock and roll so this might get me through when I'm after a bit of easy-listening music to ease my mood.
Whoblehwah - 15.06.2012 at 02:37
I think this is alright.
EdguyAsFuck - 15.06.2012 at 03:32
Written by TrollandDie on 15.06.2012 at 00:28

Written by EdguyAsFuck on 14.06.2012 at 20:21

It's insane that people ever called them sludge in the first place. I've never heard their early EPs, but their first two albums hardly sound like they should share a genre with the likes of Eyehategod and Weedeater.
Darkfiber - 15.06.2012 at 03:51
First Mastodon, now Baroness...what's with sludge bands going pop? Oh right, more radio friendly sound, more fans, more money.
Unhealer - 15.06.2012 at 05:08
Written by Darkfiber on 15.06.2012 at 03:51

Go back to the Mastodon thread and FIGHT.
BlueMobius - 15.06.2012 at 06:01
Written by Void Eater on 14.06.2012 at 19:12

Good for you! I think a lot of people will like this if they have an open mind to it.
Void Eater - 15.06.2012 at 06:11
Nah bro, I wasn't implying that people dislike this because they're "close minded". They dislike it because they dislike it. It's just that normally, if a band changes their style and one person says they dislike it, a bunch of people jump on that person and says something along the lines of, "OMG there just evolving quit being a close minded elitist!!!!!!". On the contrary, I'm quite glad that a lot of people are saying they dislike it and not pretending to be so "open minded" and pretending to love it.
Boxcar Willy - 15.06.2012 at 06:14
Meh.
Spirit Molecule - 15.06.2012 at 11:54
Written by Void Eater on 15.06.2012 at 06:11

Well its personal choice at the end of it. I loved what Mastodon did with Crack the Skye and Kylesa with their latest. They evolved, but they still kept it very interesting. I don't think people will pretend to love it, even me, being a big baroness fan, I can't really say that they have done something good.
Mr. Doctor - 15.06.2012 at 13:50
Written by BlueMobius on 15.06.2012 at 06:01

Written by Void Eater on 14.06.2012 at 19:12

Ah c'mon please don't go there... Don't go to the cheap "open mind" thing because this music isn't complicated, crazy, unique enough to be something that requires an "open mind" to get. The style is very straightforward . Some people like it, others not, simple as that. Being open minded has nothing to do with this.
Troy Killjoy - 15.06.2012 at 15:37
TIL I'm not open-minded because I don't like radio rock.
Ozman - 15.06.2012 at 15:41
Why do people keep on thinking that open minded means that you have to like something?

Open minded means giving what you listen to a fair chance, that's it.

I am open minded when it come to most music cause I give it a fair chance when I listen to it (except European flowery gay power metal that is )
R'Vannith - 15.06.2012 at 16:20
Am I the only one hearing a heavy dose of Thin Lizzy?
Ozman - 15.06.2012 at 16:28
Written by R'Vannith on 15.06.2012 at 16:20

Am I the only one hearing a heavy dose of Thin Lizzy?

I am a huge Thin Lizzy fan and I don't hear a single iota of Lizzy in this song, unfortunately.
R'Vannith - 15.06.2012 at 16:32
Written by Ozman on 15.06.2012 at 16:28

Written by R'Vannith on 15.06.2012 at 16:20

Am I the only one hearing a heavy dose of Thin Lizzy?

Seems to be in the vocals mostly I think.. guess its just me then.
BlueMobius - 15.06.2012 at 16:50
Written by Mr. Doctor on 15.06.2012 at 13:50

I mean some people that are into the band's old sound are simply not going to want to hear anything different. Their minds are going to be closed to the band's new direction.
Slayer666 - 15.06.2012 at 19:25
Bring on teh Nickleback comparisons!

(seriously though, the song is pretty boring, although not completely abysmal)
!J.O.O.E.! - 15.06.2012 at 19:28
Written by Slayer666 on 15.06.2012 at 19:25

Bring on teh Nickleback comparisons!

(seriously though, the song is pretty boring, although not completely abysmal)

Honestly, this sounded more pop-punk than post-grungy Nickleback.
Slayer666 - 15.06.2012 at 19:31
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 15.06.2012 at 19:28

Honestly, this sounded more pop-punk than post-grungy Nickleback.

I dunno, I'm usually pretty repelled by anything with "pop" in its name (other than some noise pop, that's some decent shit), so I don't know enough to differentiate.
!J.O.O.E.! - 15.06.2012 at 19:32
Written by Slayer666 on 15.06.2012 at 19:31

I'm not exactly a keen listener of the pop-punk myself, but this song had a certain bounciness I'd associate with the genre. I'm sure when it comes down to it it has nothing to do with the pop-punk though.
Spirit Molecule - 25.06.2012 at 15:21
Written by BlueMobius on 15.06.2012 at 16:50

Well people listened to the band in the first place coz they were a certain style. You can't expect everyone to like every genre. So if the band changes up their style completely, most of the older fans are not going to want to listen to the new stuff if they don't like the it. You didn't start listening to Baroness coz you expected them to sound like this in 4-5 years.
I like experimentation, if done well. I loved Crack the Skye and Spiral Shadow, but I didn't think Baroness did a good job here. Well if this is the direction they are going to go in, I don't really have too much of a problem, I still can go back to their old albums whenever I want to hear the Baroness I like.

News Baroness - New Song Online 9 15.05.2012 by Ace Frawley
News Queensrÿche - Another New Song Available Online 7 02.06.2013 by The Shape 1973
News Monuments - Another New Song Streaming Online 7 09.06.2014 by LeKiwi