The big mystery surrounding the new singer of Kamelot has been revealed. The band has just announced that Tommy Karevik is their new vocalist. The following press release was issued: "The American/German symphonic metal band Kamelot is proud to announce another key piece leading to the release of their new studio album. A question foremost in every Kamelot fan's mind has been: Who is the group's new lead singer? Band mastermind and guitarist Thomas Youngblood has now revealed: 'The new man is Scandinavian Tommy Karevik!'

"The general public may not be overly familiar with the 30 year old Swede, Karevik, but people in the industry know him as the immensely talented frontman of the Swedish band, Seventh Wonder. Youngblood states: 'We had around 800 candidates for the vacant position, among them a number of really renowned musicians, and having to reject them really wasn't easy. We want to thank all the applicants, thank you for your understanding and we wish you all lots of success in the future!'

In their search for a new singer, Thomas Youngblood found YouTube to be an amazing tool: "I listened to a clip of a studio production featuring Tommy and have to confess that his performance really amazed me. His approach to melodies and themes suits Kamelot perfectly, and during our European shows we had plenty of opportunity to find out what a great guy he is."

Karevik is thrilled about his new position: "I am so honored to now be a part of this family and I can't wait to move into the new era of the band together with the guys. I fully understand that this comes with great responsibility and that it will be a big challenge for me as a singer as well as a person, but you can rest assured I will give it my all. From this day, a new journey has begun and I am really eager to meet you all along the way to share my passion for this music!"

You can read Tommy's biography here.

[Also thanks to RhaegarTargaryen for sending in this news!]

Source: kamelot.com
Band profile: Kamelot

Posted: 22.06.2012 by Neroese

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

Blackleaf - 30.06.2012 at 13:47
Written by Milena on 30.06.2012 at 13:39

Written by Blackleaf on 30.06.2012 at 13:30

Let face it Roy is not that very good looking guy

You're the first person ever to say that, I think.

Then Im more then happy to make the girls wake up from this fantasy
Tristus Scriptor - 01.07.2012 at 21:55
For what it's worth- I'm happy about this. The guy can sing. I am a pre-established fan of his voice. And as far as image goes (for the people that find that important) Kamelot is still gonna be very Kamelot. My (minor?) concern is about a couple vocal nuances that Roy had that few can pull off so emotively. Khan had this blending of gentle/tender falsetto into straight full voice, all the while keeping a perfect amount of vibrato at the same time. It's this that made me hope for Alfred Romero (Dark Moor), since - while not the shining vocal wizard Roy was at one point - he can do this gracefully and passionately. To some extent, Fabio could do this too...just not as similarly or fitting for Kamelot. That is my opinion, though. All three would have done great with some work (as well as the rumored Michael Eriksen)...yet the band made their choice, and I definitely respect it. Onward to the next stage!
Mechaniacal - 03.07.2012 at 04:33
This guy has the best voice I've ever heard in metal. Seventh Wonder's last 3 albums also shit all over Kamelot's entire discography combined. I was actually hoping this wouldn't happen, but damage is done, I guess. Too bad.
Tristus Scriptor - 03.07.2012 at 06:22
If the two bands were in the same ballpark, the last sports team-like protest comment above would make a little sense (just a little)...but oh well...opinions are like vaginas...
xbloodbirds - 06.07.2012 at 05:34
From what I've heard, Keravik seems to sound more similarly to Khan's vocals in the works of "Karma" and "Epica", especially when considering range and pitch. I believe this guy has the capability to live up to the Khan's legacy and maybe even surpass him.
Tristus Scriptor - 10.07.2012 at 00:35
The more I indulge in Seventh Wonder lately, I'm feeling even more happy to have him front one of my favorite bands. But, as I expressed above; I need to hear him do that strange and beautiful falsetto featured on songs like the "Elizabeth" trilogy, "Don't You Cry", and "Wander"...that wacky, inimitable thing he did on the second verse of "Up Through the Ashes" ...the way Khan blended it in effortlessly. I don't doubt Tommy, and know he's a whole different man. I just really wanna know how he's going to approach this technique.
JohnDoe - 10.07.2012 at 01:00
Written by Mechaniacal on 03.07.2012 at 04:33

I agree; fortunately, he did not quit Seventh Wonder, he's still their vocalist.
psykometal - 10.07.2012 at 18:49
Written by JohnDoe on 10.07.2012 at 01:00

fortunately, he did not quit Seventh Wonder, he's still their vocalist.

...for now.

If he gets as good a reception world wide as he has here then he will probably have to choose eventually between the big name band and the little known band. Look at Stu Block, he still hasn't announced his departure from Into Eternity yet but in an interview with one of MS's Staff members he stated that he was basically done with Into Eternity and was focused entirely on Iced Earth because they are the bigger band and need him a lot more than Into Eternity. I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before Tommy departs Seventh Wonder for Kamelot. Just saying...
JohnDoe - 10.07.2012 at 21:14
Written by psykometal on 10.07.2012 at 18:49

Written by JohnDoe on 10.07.2012 at 01:00

fortunately, he did not quit Seventh Wonder, he's still their vocalist.

...for now.

I hope what you say will not happen; I hope Tommy remains loyal to his friends in Seventh Wonder (as he has been so far).
Milena - 10.07.2012 at 23:50
Written by JohnDoe on 10.07.2012 at 21:14

I remember reading a recent SW interview where Tommy explained his love for and connection to Seventh Wonder and how he'll never leave the band, and back then I was bummed because, while it definitely meant he'd stay with SW, which is amazing, it also diminished his chances of joining Kamelot. But now that he plans to sing in both bands, I couldn't be happier. SW don't usually have a busy schedule so I could see it working out pretty well, especially if Kamelot continue their habit of bringing a full circus of people with them each tour - maybe SW will tour the world with them sometime as a support act, who knows.
psykometal - 11.07.2012 at 04:13
Written by Milena on 10.07.2012 at 23:50

maybe SW will tour the world with them sometime as a support act, who knows.

That would certainly be interesting for sure but it might also be a bit too strenuous for Tommy voice depending on the length of such a tour since Kamelot usually play long sets to get good coverage of their catalogue...
Milena - 11.07.2012 at 10:10
Written by psykometal on 11.07.2012 at 04:13

Yeah, I know that, but a girl can dream, right?
psykometal - 11.07.2012 at 17:26
Written by Milena on 11.07.2012 at 10:10

Yeah, I know that, but a girl can dream, right?

I guess, if you really must then fine knock yourself out...
Milena - 11.07.2012 at 17:30
Written by psykometal on 11.07.2012 at 17:26

I guess, if you really must then fine knock yourself out...

That's probably the only shot at seeing SW live I'd ever get *knocking herself out*
They posted an update on their Facebook wall, asking fans about their dream setlist for an SW show... maybe there's a DVD in the works?

Pages: 1 [2]

News Riot - Reveal New Vocalist 5.5 23.11.2013 by LeChron James
News Within Temptation - Reveal Guest Vocalist On New Single And Trailer 5.5 13.09.2013 by BynersA7X
News Lord Symphony - Reveal New Vocalist 5.5 07.03.2012 by finalfortuner
News Doom:VS - Reveal New Album Tracklist And Guest Vocalist 5.5 09.05.2013 by Carrion Misery
News Carcass - Reveal New Album Title 4 27.02.2013 by exomorphyx89