Symphonic power metallers Kamelot have just premiered their brand new video for the song "Sacrimony (Angel Of Afterlife)" and you can now watch it below. This song is the debut single off their forthcoming album Silverthorn, their first with new singer Tommy Karevik. The video was directed by Ivan Čolić and filmed in Belgrade, Serbia and features appearances by Amaranthe vocalist Elize Ryd and The Agonist vocalist Alissa White-Gluz.

Silverthorn hits stores on October 30th in North America, October 26th in Germany and October 29th in the rest of Europe via Steamhammer/SPV.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Kamelot

Posted: 22.10.2012 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: [1] 2

psykometal - 22.10.2012 at 18:55
Ok! Well, I'm actually very impressed by this song and Tommy's performance. I was honestly expecting a pop/symphony song of some kind but now I can see that Tommy was a fantastic choice. I apologize deeply to Kamelot for my lack of faith in them. This song to me is even better than everything they did on Poetry for The Poisoned (which I was rather disappointed in) so I will definitely be acquiring this album upon it's release. Fuck Time I, THIS is going to be THE symphonic metal album of the year.
ProgVet - 22.10.2012 at 19:02
That was... interesting.
Dargor - 22.10.2012 at 19:09
I actually like the video. Yeah, it's very cliché from time to time, but still very well done I think.
Rulatore - 22.10.2012 at 19:17
Elize Ryd looks utterly beautiful in this video, GOD.

About the music, it's very good, better than most of the songs I've heard from them

Written by psykometal on 22.10.2012 at 18:55

Fuck Time I, THIS is going to be THE symphonic metal album of the year.

I don't want to begin a discussion about styles and everything, but I felt that the symphonic approaches was quite different between these two, can't really compare them two, but it's just what I felt. (ps: I'm not saying that Time is better )

Can't wait for the album.

Edit: btw, this one is better than the Rhapsody's video
Neroese - 22.10.2012 at 19:28
Written by Rulatore on 22.10.2012 at 19:17

Elize Ryd looks utterly beautiful in this video, GOD.

Edit: btw, this one is better than the Rhapsody's video

Yup. I wan't threesome with Alissa and Elize:P (lucky Karevik). I tought that this album will fail - there's no Roy. BUt I must say that this album is Great! Better that the Poetry for the Poisoned. Really. I have top 3 for this year.

1.Silverthorn
2. Time I
3. Vanitas
psykometal - 22.10.2012 at 19:44
Written by Rulatore on 22.10.2012 at 19:17

Well, in all honesty I have not even listened to Time I yet (just a few snippets here and there), I know what I've read of it in the review by Barry on the front page and other reviews I've read elsewhere and based on said reviews (and the few snippets I've heard) it's very obvious that the symphonic orchestrations between the 2 are vastly different so my comparison was merely based on the merit of they are both symphonic-based albums.
opeth771 - 22.10.2012 at 19:52
They have found the perfect replacement for Khan! The new song is pretty good, but please, don't even compare the symphonic aspects of this and Time I... Time I has the most epic orchestrations ever recorded in the metal world.

Back to Kamelot... This is a very solid song, it somewhat reminds me of "Farewell".... And my god, how beautiful is Elyze Ryd!
Dark†SymphonY - 22.10.2012 at 20:35
I like this alot, new album is sure to make my top 2012.
Red_Travis - 22.10.2012 at 20:36
Not a big fan of the video, but I really like the song.
Dargor - 22.10.2012 at 20:39
I like the fact that they didn't shorten the song for the clip, but actually included a part of the intro and used the last few seconds to improve the storytelling. Very well done.
Sir Thrashalot - 22.10.2012 at 21:14
Wow ! Honestly, i was expecting Kamelot to never be able to get back up from losing Kahn, but when i heard that song, I don't have any doubt they that will.

GREAT new singer, featuring of Alissa and Eliza are very welcomed (Kind of like Simone Simmons before) and a great Kamelot of Old days sound. I am very pleased and i am now eager to go and buy that new album. I love the fact that they will get back on track, because their "Poetry for the Poisonned" left me with a bitter "do they still have something in the tank?" Well now i know they do.
bj_waters - 22.10.2012 at 22:05
This ... has officially got me excited. I was pretty disappointed in the last two albums as they were flirting a little too much toward the Symphonic/Gothic sound. This sounds more like the Progressive Power of Karma. I also like the new vocalist here. They needed someone with a rich voice to help fill out their epic sound and I think he's got that down. We'll see if the album sticks to this Kamelot and not the one they've been masquerading as for the past five years.
Morbidron - 22.10.2012 at 22:10
I loved the great pandemonium and it looks like I'm gonna love this one, too. Sad about Kahn leaving the band but new singer is amazing! Just 2 points I'd like to make:
1st drummer tries way too much for the amount of drumming going on,
2nd In the voice of Cartman: "Intro sucks donkey balls"
psykometal - 22.10.2012 at 23:04
Written by Morbidron on 22.10.2012 at 22:10

1st drummer tries way too much for the amount of drumming going on,

It's just stage presence, me personally I love when drummers get into it like that for music videos and concerts instead of just sitting there like they're bored. It also goes to show that he knows what he's doing and he's confident and skilled enough at his own music that he doesn't have to focus really hard on hitting his notes.
DragonSavior X10 - 23.10.2012 at 00:06
Great video. I enjoyed Poetry for the Poisoned, but I'm glad they're returning to their old sound, at least for this song. The singer is very good. He'll do a fine job of succeeding Roy.
Akula - 23.10.2012 at 00:23
I am impressed. Very nice video.
The album overall it´s quite acceptable. It is amazing how Tommy ´s voice sounds EXACTLY as Khan´s.
Susan - 23.10.2012 at 00:55
Very promising! OK I'm not so scared for this album now

And thank GOD they finally starting using a female vocalist besides Simmons. Hooray for someone who can actually sing. Sounded amazing!
MetalSpider - 23.10.2012 at 00:55
Great song, and the video is pretty good (Elize and Alissa made it better in my book ...lucky Tommy!)

I'm just listening to the new album now. Tommy seems to be an excellent replacement.
The Shape 1973 - 23.10.2012 at 01:03
I would guess that the song was written with Roy in mind as it is so suited to his voice. It will be interesting to see if the whole album is the same.

Chances are that the next album with the new singer will have more of his natural style in it rather than having to be a Roy clone.
psykometal - 23.10.2012 at 02:08
Written by The Shape 1973 on 23.10.2012 at 01:03

Seeing as how they chose a guy who can look (he probably even fits into all of Roy's old stage wardrobe) , sound and act exactly like Roy we shall see if the music is going to change or not with their next release. Honestly I don't know if I will care since Tommy's presence seems to have brought back the old energy of earlier albums that has been missing on the last couple of albums. I'm not usually one to bitch about a band changing from their old sound providing it sounds like they are actually evolving and to a certain extent Kamelot were but at the same time the last couple albums for me just seemed very lackluster like they were just going through the motions.
The Shape 1973 - 23.10.2012 at 02:14
Written by psykometal on 23.10.2012 at 02:08

Written by The Shape 1973 on 23.10.2012 at 01:03

Yep, you're right. Although I did prefer Poetry For The Poisoned to Ghost Opera. I think it got some unfair treatment, as it sounded closer to Conception (Roy's old band) a little more depth, than just power metal. Still think Black Halo is their best work to date.
psykometal - 23.10.2012 at 02:50
Written by The Shape 1973 on 23.10.2012 at 02:14

Still think Black Halo is their best work to date.

This right here. But if this song is any indication of Silverthorn then it might be a close contender for me...
The Shape 1973 - 23.10.2012 at 02:57
Written by psykometal on 23.10.2012 at 02:50

Hope you are right. Signs are good so far.

October could be a good month. Wintersun, Whyzdom, Mob Rules and Kamelot, all ordered.
psykometal - 23.10.2012 at 03:25
Written by The Shape 1973 on 23.10.2012 at 02:57

Hope you are right. Signs are good so far.

October has been a pretty good month Unfathomable Ruination, Anaal Nathrakh and Kamelot.

I'm actually gona wait til Time II is released I think, I've read a few reviews (including Barry's on front page) that all indicate it feels like an incomplete album.
The Black Halo - 23.10.2012 at 04:37
High respect for a band that still puts the same effort and thought into music videos as they do their music. Kamelot has never fallen short in this regard, and they certainly haven't let up with the absence of Khan. There used to be a time music videos were what sold songs, glad to see a band that still takes that seriously.

And does anyone else get the absolute chills after the first chorus when Tommy says "tell me every little detail." If thats not Khan I don't know what is.
Opethian - 23.10.2012 at 04:55
Did anyone else get a Boner from listening to that? AMAZING! The last 2 Kamelot albums were 100% filler. Im glad to see them back on their feet and putting out another Timeless Classic

P.S, even if Roy was still around i doubt that it would have had such an Impact
haladflire65 - 23.10.2012 at 05:04
Written by The Shape 1973 on 23.10.2012 at 01:03

Actually, Tommy wrote most of the vocal melodies if I'm not mistaken.

As was mentioned in the Silverthorn thread, I don't hear that many Roy/Tommy similarities other than sometimes in the lower register? I mean, there's no way anyone can claim that Tommy's a Roy clone after listening to, say, Song for Jolee. I think he has his own style, I suppose him being visually close to Roy isn't helping distinguish him. I'm hoping the next album will allow Tommy to unleash some high notes and show off his vocal prowess some more, he's capable of so much more (also said in the Silverthorn thread).
Italics - 23.10.2012 at 06:40
The chorus sounds very similar to The Black Halo (the album)... which is great for me, since that is their best album IMO.

However, I feel like they put guest singers into this song simply for the sake of having guest singers... they didn't really add much to the song, and in some instances, even took away from it I thought.

Overall I'm pleasantly surprised. "Poetry For the Poisoned" was absolute garbage, and I'm not just saying that because it's so hip on MS to trash new albums by power metal bands... that album truly was awful. Ironically, Kamelot may be making a big comeback now that Khan is gone... would never have expected that.
psykometal - 23.10.2012 at 08:37
Written by haladflire65 on 23.10.2012 at 05:04

Actually, Tommy wrote most of the vocal melodies if I'm not mistaken.

He doesn't mean that Roy wrote the vocals, he means that when they were writing the music they were tailoring it for a vocalist like Roy because that's the type of voice they were used to writing music for.
R'Vannith - 23.10.2012 at 08:40
Written by Italics on 23.10.2012 at 06:40

it's so hip on MS to trash new albums by power metal bands

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, and why you feel the need to make a generalised statement that appears to have a provocative motive. Why do you feel the need to label other MS users, though indirectly?
And if anything power metal goes largely ignored in comparison to other genres..
I agree about Poetry though, didn't meet my expectations, so I'm hoping for something redeeming in this album.

Anyway, that song is great and the new vocalist has certainly adjusted to an appropriate style (unless he normally sings in such a way?), a sign of talent I think.
BudDa - 23.10.2012 at 10:09
Roy who?

I really enjoyed that!
Arrietty - 23.10.2012 at 12:19
I love Kamelot and Karevik and I really like the song, but I would love them more if Tommy uses his own voice/style and don't clone Roy. He has a great talent and I think he can do a big contribution to Kamelot.
Iamawalker - 23.10.2012 at 13:31
Cool video, one of their better ones for sure. Tommy is a perfect fit for Kamelot. Will be exciting to see if he uses even more of his talents and range on the full album... Album of the year canditate? I wouldn't be surprised if it was!
ManiacBlasphemer - 23.10.2012 at 18:30
Written by Arrietty on 23.10.2012 at 12:19

The thing about him is that his vocal timber is way too similar with Khan's. Yes, there are some slight differences from his vocal performances in Seventh Wonder but not by much. Thomas Youngblood stated in several interviews that they selected him because they did not want to use different tune-ups and end up modifying the style that made them known, once I heard that I figured that they took him so that they do not change in style and also to please the fans which adored Khan and his vocal performance.

He mastered Khan's stage antics pretty well and he gives the same vibe Khan did. Somebody can call him a copy cat, but it doesn't change the fact that this song kicks hard ass. Ghost Opera has been the child of Oliver Palotai, as the album was more opera driven, and Palotai is classicaly trained and an exceptional keyboardist. It had some great songs, but you cannot compare this album with the previous 2, Epica and The Black Halo, simply because the last 2 had no songs that could be highlighted, in other words, all the songs were great and absolutely no filler songs in the albums.

Poetry for the Poisoned strayed a little bit from Ghost Opera and I think that it is more Khan's own breed, since it is pretty similar to his performance given on the early Conception albums, band in which he activated before joining Kamelot. Same like Ghost Opera, Poetry for the Poisoned had some good songs, The Great Pandemonium, Necropolis, Seal of Woven Years or Hunter's Season were songs that could make it on anybody's playlist easily.
psykometal - 23.10.2012 at 22:59
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 23.10.2012 at 18:30

I knew that was why they chose him. So it seems I was right, Kamelot is going to continue to sound like Kamelot with Tommy "Roy Khan Jr." Karevic, and honestly I don't have a problem with that...
Italics - 24.10.2012 at 03:07
Written by R'Vannith on 23.10.2012 at 08:40

Written by Italics on 23.10.2012 at 06:40

it's so hip on MS to trash new albums by power metal bands

I said it because it's true for most power metal bands on here - Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Kamelot, etc. I just wanted to make it clear that I had actually listened to Poetry and sincerely found that it sucked... as opposed to simply assuming it sucked because other people said so.

And no, the new singer (his name is Tommy) doesn't typically sound that identical to Khan, but I'm guessing that it was done somewhat on purpose in this song.
R'Vannith - 24.10.2012 at 05:22
Written by Italics on 24.10.2012 at 03:07

Possibly that's true of some bigger name bands, but still I don't think it's a fair judgement to assume that a majority of users follow a pack mentality and simply dislike an album because of what others have said. I mean the popularity of an idea doesn't have to spring from a lack of personal engagement with the music and doesn't necessarily mean that there are MS sheep everywhere. Like yourself I'm sure many people "actually" listened to Poetry and found it disappointing.
The again bias is something which can creep up unexpectedly, the simple statement "this one isn't as good" can alter one's impression of an album if they take it into consideration prior to listening, even afterwards I suppose.

I'll need to check out Seventh Wonder sometime, with this Tommy guy, because he is really gifted in that he can so easily take on another persona like he does filling the empty vocal space of Kamelot. I remember hearing bits of their latest album but didn't think much of it at the time.
Italics - 24.10.2012 at 07:52
Written by R'Vannith on 24.10.2012 at 05:22

Written by Italics on 24.10.2012 at 03:07

Well, another thing with power metal fans is that as soon as you stop making albums that are 90% speed tracks, they think your music sucks. Just look at Sonata Arctica... for the past 5+ years they've been telling fans they are not a power metal band anymore, yet people still act surprised and bash on their music for not sounding like Silence.

The only Seventh Wonder album I've listened to is The Great Escape. It's a good album, but not great. Most of the songs are very hit-or-miss, and for a prog album it fails to grow much on you. With that said, again, it's a good album.
The Black Halo - 24.10.2012 at 07:54
If anything, what Tommy is doing by "mimicking" Khan should be a testament to his talent. Anyone that spends 5 minutes listening to Seventh Wonder knows that Tommy is his own vocalist, and sounds nothing like Khan. The fact that Kamelot picked someone special enough to mold himself into the image of the BAND, not the image of their former singer, should be relieved. How many times have long time singers been replaced by someone trying to make the band their own, and failed miserably?

Anyone throwing the term copycat around needs to do their homework on Tommy/Seventh Wonder.
Angel_Lament - 25.10.2012 at 09:48
Awesome song and epic video, nothing more to add
HumanSpirit - 25.10.2012 at 13:46
Written by The Black Halo on 24.10.2012 at 07:54

lol! Nuff said.
Karevik has been like this for some years now, his work with Seventh Wonder is awesome and THIS is his style. Period.

For the video... I'm a bit confused... I don't know If I want The Haunting kind of cheese back.... or this.

March Of Mephisto was a good video though.... But the "black eyes vocalist" trick is getting old and stupid.

Love Kamelot, new album is solid as the song is!
GT - 25.10.2012 at 14:24
A really nice song and very "Kamelot". It might even be able to spike my interest for the band again.
The Black Halo - 25.10.2012 at 18:30
Written by HumanSpirit on 25.10.2012 at 13:46

lol! Nuff said.

True, which further deepens my fear for the fate of Seventh Wonder. Kamelot has been one of my top 3 bands forever, but I loved SW. Mercy Falls was an incredible album, The Great Escape was slightly weaker but the strong tracks carried it. But no matter how much Tommy "pledges" he'll still work for both bands, fact is this isn't a side project, this is Kamelot. One of the most recognized power/prog bands in the industry. I only wonder how long SW will sit around waiting for Tommy to return from touring, recording sessions, photo shoots, meetings, etc before they say "Screw this" and move on.

Kamelot is a whole new beast from what Tommy is used to in SW. And he is only one man. There is no way he can work fulltime and record albums for 2 bands, and go on world tours with Kamelot, then come back and tour with SW, and expect both bands to have the patience for him to make that happen. And the worst part is Tommy is SO good, and sounds SO incredible for both bands, I honestly can't decide which band I rather have him stay in. Regardless, its no secret that in a years time from now one of these bands will be searching for a new singer, which is a shame.
Carrion Misery - 25.10.2012 at 21:41
I honestly wanted the new singer to show some semblance to Khan. If the singer didn't have the same range, vibrato style or melodies, then I most likely wouldn't want to listen to Kamelot anymore. You know there'd be people bitching if he sounded too different. I'd be one of them. They got the right guy -- that's all the matters.

I wish they didn't use so much god damn green screen in their videos. It looks too cartoony, but the music makes up for it, and so does Elize. She is hot as hell, and her expressions are very seductive.
Fredd - 29.10.2012 at 11:55
I'm confused. This vid game me a boner and a tear in my eye.
dismaleuphony - 30.10.2012 at 04:47
Pretty catchy song, already better than the band's previous output Worth checking out the rest of the album I'd say.
psykometal - 30.10.2012 at 04:56
It's definitely better than Ghost And Poetry. I'm still trying to figure out if I like this more than The Black Halo or not, so atm Halo and Silverthorn tied for my fave Kamelot album.
Epictemptation - 30.10.2012 at 21:22
The music video is awesome and one of there best, But sadly Simone is not in this video which makes me sad:(
But overall a good music video, but the song seems a bit popish compared to March Of Mephistro, Ghost Opera, Human Strain etc.
But overall I think they are coming to a bigger audience which I can respect
Chriwalker - 18.11.2012 at 17:28
Written by Iamawalker on 23.10.2012 at 13:31

Maybe even their best one? and defiantly a Album of the Year candidate I'd say! Kamelot stay's strong with Silverthorn that's for sure
Iamawalker - 19.11.2012 at 02:29
Written by Chriwalker on 18.11.2012 at 17:28

I couldn't agree more, sure left me with my jaw to the floor!
It shall be very interesting to see if they now can keep up this momentum further down the road. Impressive how the string of killer albums that started back in the days with "The Fourth Legacy" has kept going right up to "Silverthorn". They are truly one of a kind.

Pages: [1] 2

News Kamelot - New Video Online 7.5 06.05.2007 by
News Diabulus In Musica - Premiere New Video And Song 5.5 08.03.2014 by Ruchesko
News 3 Inches Of Blood - Premiere New Video 5.5 10.05.2012 by Boxcar Willy
News Fear Factory - Premiere New Video 5.5 26.10.2012 by Opethian
News Darkest Hour - Premiere New Video, New Album Streaming Online 5.5 05.08.2014 by Ace Frawley