Matt Barlow has rejoined Iced Earth, according to the following statement posted on www.icedearth.com:

"Hello Dear Friends!

Once again the winds of change are upon us, and this time I can say that I am very happy about the result.

While out on the European tour I had several in depth discussions with many loyal Iced Earth fans. A common theme of these discussions was how much Matt is missed. I agreed with the fans that things were not the same and that it was a very special period in Iced Earth's history.

When I heard several months ago that Matt was going to be doing a project in music again, I was thinking about contacting him and seeing what his intentions were. I didn't act on this because I was so focused on the writing of the new epic, and frankly, it just didn't seem realistic.

Well, after getting out on the road and speaking with many of you directly, I decided to call Matt and see how he was doing and if he was interested in working together again. I am proud to say that he is coming back to Iced Earth and we will be getting back to work in the studio very soon.

Matt will be singing on Part 2 of the Something Wicked concept CD and we will be looking forward to getting out on tour and delivering a series of Iced Earth shows that will rival any in the history of the band. And there will be a proper DVD filmed from this period, something we've all been waiting for.

I want you all to know that it was you who made this a reality. I have missed Matt's presence onstage and in my personal life in a big way over the past few years, so I appreciate your honesty in our discussions. It did help me realize the decision to move forward with pursuing this. The fans have spoken and we have delivered!

You true fans know that I'm a straight shooter, I say what I mean and mean what I say. And though I value your opinions greatly, you must believe that this is a decision that comes completely from the heart and is not motivated by anything other than what feels the best for Iced Earth. This is the way that things have always been dealt with, for better or for worse, but always honestly and from the heart.

Tim Owens is a great and talented singer and I wish the best for him and his future on a personal and professional level.

There will be more news soon as to further developments and plans. This will push back the release of Part 2 a bit. Not because we couldn't be ready to record in time, but because of a new addition to Matt's family in early 2008!

I am very happy to announce that Iced Earth is truly BACK!

Have a great holiday season. We'll be in touch very soon with more details.

Jon Schaffer"

Source: icedearth.com
Band profile: Iced Earth

Posted: 12.12.2007 by Lyrinan

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

Lucas - 12.12.2007 at 17:54
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.12.2007 at 08:31

If this is actually true (and why shouldn't it be?) then it shows what a d******d Shaeffer actually is, first praising Tim to no end and burning down Matt, and now that the fans really miss Matt (which they have done right from the moment Matt left btw) goign back to Matt again. I think Jon was really really really disappointed by the sales figures of the last two albums, somehow thinking that IE would really break it big with Tim.

My thoughts exactly. Seriously, saying: "I am very happy to announce that Iced Earth is truly BACK!" is just a fucking bad thing to say. Sure, I can understand you want Barlow back in your band, but don't do it this way.

But then again, who am I am to mess with internal and personal affairs. I cannot deny I'm happy Barlow is back.
Daniell - 12.12.2007 at 18:23
Best news this year! It's already December, so it'll be hard to beat...
TTR - 12.12.2007 at 18:29
When i saw this news at the top my heart almost stopped pounding! BEST news this year indeed! Actually this year i had the most momments of...WHY why did he leave! hehe, but that ofcourse started with the Alive in Athens DVD
PrettyMao - 12.12.2007 at 19:41
I am probably one of the few, but I am really disappointed by this...

I thought that Pt I of Something Wicked was really well done with Tim's voice and was really looking forward to Part II...

Now for him to change vocalists in the middle of it is pretty retarded in my mind.

I loved Matt in the earlier albums and he was a really good fit... and I don't mind him coming back, I just wish it wasn't at Ripper's expense, as I think Ripper is a far superior singer than Barlow. (I have seen them both live)...

So disappointed...

I really hope Ripper finds another awesome band...

I will be checking out Beyond Fear very soon....
PrettyMao - 12.12.2007 at 19:42
I also find Jon lacks a lot of tact in this instance....

but then again he is used to people coming and going and probably has little or no sympathy for the Ripper on this one...

Just business as usual, I guess....
Metal Maiden - 12.12.2007 at 19:52
Written by Spyroid on 12.12.2007 at 02:21

But well... I hope the Ripper joins a good band now. Like, ehm... Therion

Muhahahaha...now, that would be rippin' awesome...he'll be a damn good replacement for Leven...i think...
necrovamp - 12.12.2007 at 20:12
hmm, feel sorry for tim, sacked from judas priest and now iced earth? jons a dick for doing this, its like dumping your girlfriend to get eith your ex, does he have any morals? idiot
Richard - 12.12.2007 at 21:09
Written by Bararey on 12.12.2007 at 06:55

Written by Richard on 12.12.2007 at 05:16

"I'm tired of the whole Owens-Barlow debate, it's bullshit. Matt's not coming back. Tim has done a fantastic job on the last two albums and he's here to stay".

Do you know when the interview was actually conducted?

The news about Barlow's return is also on their official myspace page blog, so I really doubt it is a hoax or anything in that line.

Sure, I'm not saying it's a hoax that Barlow's back - and although the interview is in the new issue of the magazine, I admit that it doesn't necessarily mean it was conducted very recently. But it's still a big turn around in attitude, in what must still be a very short space of time, from one extreme to the other.

I think we need to hear Owens side of the story as well, though.. maybe he could make a statement about the situation as well, so people know if it was an amicable split or if he feels hard done by.
Timsen - 12.12.2007 at 22:01
Dreams come true still!
FrostbittenIlham - 12.12.2007 at 22:19
Am I the only one who doesn't care at all?
Asitis - 12.12.2007 at 22:22
Written by Guest on 12.12.2007 at 22:19

Am I the only one who doesn't care at all?

Nope, I don't either.
FrostbittenIlham - 12.12.2007 at 22:29
Written by Asitis on 12.12.2007 at 22:22

Written by Guest on 12.12.2007 at 22:19

Am I the only one who doesn't care at all?

Nope, I don't either.

Good to know. Although I wouldn't care either if I were the only one.
Asitis - 12.12.2007 at 22:33
Written by Guest on 12.12.2007 at 22:29

Written by Asitis on 12.12.2007 at 22:22

Written by Guest on 12.12.2007 at 22:19

Am I the only one who doesn't care at all?

Nope, I don't either.

Good to know. Although I wouldn't care either if I were the only one.

Thats the spirit. Individualism! woohoo!
Angel Of Rage - 12.12.2007 at 22:42
I'm happy and sad at the same time.Matt... welcome back! Ripper... How we're gonna miss you, man.
FrostbittenIlham - 12.12.2007 at 22:45
Written by Asitis on 12.12.2007 at 22:33

Thats the spirit. Individualism! woohoo!

I'd qualify it as a sort of independence of thought, that's all .
Infurnace - 12.12.2007 at 22:57
Damn! This is some of the best news i've heard this year. Welcome back Matt!
Opium - 12.12.2007 at 23:38
Written by Guest on 12.12.2007 at 22:19

Am I the only one who doesn't care at all?

That there madam is an opinion for war. Let's get her!
AnarChrist - 13.12.2007 at 01:06
Okay,everything is said already,I agree with:
a) Something Wicked part I = awesome with Owens
b) Something Wicked part II recorded with Matt = wtf stupid
c) Jon Schaffer = a big shithead
d) Barlow with Iced Earth = definately good , timing for it = bad
e) HOLY SHIT! OMGWTFBBQ!!!

New stuff to add:
a) Get back at Schaffer, Owens, go for Metal Storm Scandal of the Year 2007!!
b) Night of the Stormrider is the best IE album anyway
RhaegarTargaryen - 13.12.2007 at 02:22
One of the best news I heard in last days.
Oracle - 13.12.2007 at 02:48
YES!! he's my fav Iced Earth singer out of al of them
Im soooo glad he rejoined Iced Eath
dismaleuphony - 13.12.2007 at 03:05
I think the news is even more disheartening than much I've heard this year, as the timing is terrible. And to top it off, I don't think the problem has been Tim's vocals, it's been the songs he's been singing. I have little interest in their new work, even if Matt's back. I actually find Jon's decision just rude. But hey, it's not my band, so more power to him...
LeChron James - 13.12.2007 at 05:22
Written by necrovamp on 12.12.2007 at 20:12

took the words right outta my mouth. thats hella weak that he got axed from both iced earth and priest. at least he can focus fully on Beyond Fear if he doesnt do anything else, like join Therion.
Valentin B - 13.12.2007 at 12:33
this is great! owens only has 2 styles of voice: "shriek"(and right now in the metal world he is no. 1 on my list of shriekers) and "talk real loud", while barlow is much more versatile.
Nimlot - 13.12.2007 at 13:14
OMFG THIS IS AMAZING... I can't believe it... this is the best year in my life! 1 - I went to a Blind Guardian concert (my first concert ever) 2 - Iron Maiden Concert 3 - ManOwaR Concert (FRIGGIN best concert in my country 6 hours non stop HEAVY METAL) 4 - I Bought an electric Guitar (Ibanez GRG270b), I'm Getting good at it 5 - Helloween and Gamma Ray Concert (no better combination for a concert ) AND NOW THIS OH MAN ICED EARTH IS MY FAV. BAND OF ALL TIME! (Blind Guardian and Iced Earth actually)
kaoskrew - 13.12.2007 at 13:29
They must have sorted out their little mis-understanding then and poor old "ripoff"!
Xtreme Jax - 13.12.2007 at 14:59
Iced Earth are going to suck no matter who sings for them.
Götter - 13.12.2007 at 18:54
HELL YEAH

Written by Dark Cornatus on 12.12.2007 at 05:22

Well, certainly was not expecting that. I guess its good news thought i never really had too much of a problem with Owens. Just seem like Owens got the boot up the arse and yeh... ah well, its the typical Jon Schaffer way of doing things, still works for the band haha.

Actually, I was expecting that ever since I first heard Matt was back in the music business. Besides, the 9/11 craze which prompted him to leave is kind of over. There is no better public service for Matt than singing in Iced Earth.
Skull - 14.12.2007 at 04:51
The new of the year!!!
That's f*uking awesome!!

"I am very happy to announce that Iced Earth is truly BACK!"

This pharse TRULY summarized everything.
Darkside Momo - 14.12.2007 at 13:53
Good news but...
As was said earlier, in every interview he certainly said that Matt's days in Iced Earth were over.

And now? What's next?...
BlueMobius - 14.12.2007 at 16:46
Eh, well cool, i guess...what really needs to change is the fact that they need to write some good music first.
metalheadstinaa - 14.12.2007 at 17:11
that is the greatest news. it wasnt the same without matt, he really did something to us fans that made us truely miss him. im glad to hear he's back with iced earth m/
Jay - 14.12.2007 at 20:47
too soon... they should have recorded more with ripper owens
BrightNight - 14.12.2007 at 21:08
FUCK YEAH Now Iced Earth is really back....There was always one voice who really suited the style of Iced Earth...the voice of Barlow! Best metal news of this year! Iced Fucking Earth is BACK!

Hope Tim Owens finds another band...he deserves it. But Barlows voice is the best for Iced Earth. Im happy with this.
DoomGuard - 14.12.2007 at 23:04
WOOT!

favorite band back in business with the amazing vocals of Matt Barlow!!!!

God i freaking love Iced Earth!!!! Time to pull out Nights Of The Stormrider
IcedGuardian - 15.12.2007 at 05:45
Wow!!!! Im starting to like Iced Earth again!!!
RavenLord - 15.12.2007 at 15:51
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.12.2007 at 08:31

Marcel's hit the nail on the head. Schaffer's complete and utter inconsistency is damaging Iced Earth as much as any fans' reactions. Now, I'll be honest here. I hate Tim Owens' voice. I love Matt Barlow's voice. This news should have me over the moon, but I'm extremely skeptical. The last two albums have been pretty abortive, even disregarding Ripper's vocals. I don't think that having Matt Barlow back will redeem Iced Earth's descent into self-parody (which started with Horror Show, arguably), but we'll have to see.
Powerslave16 - 15.12.2007 at 17:53
Wow, when I first heard this I thought about stripping off my clothes and going prancing happily through the fields, but then the sadness of the Ripper began to set in. I am sorry that he is gone, but the show must go on. Matt is back, though I really wish someone (be it Matt, Jon, or Pyramaze) would make some more details known. I read somewhere he joined Pyramaze so he could keep his job with the police. If he's in Iced Earth now with a kid on the way, does that mean Iced Earth won't tour? I can't see Jon not touring. He needs a stable job if he's going to have a kid. Good God, I wish someone would issue a statement.
exar - 15.12.2007 at 22:34
This is great the great Matt barlow is back
Fuath - 16.12.2007 at 07:10
i think they should re-do glorious burden and framing armageddon,
ripper has an awesome voice but it doesnt fit the music, nor does the music fit his voice
barlow on the other hand, i think the music was shaped around his voice
i really cant wait for something wicked part 2

but i still want to know what is to become of ripper
parallax - 16.12.2007 at 19:46
AMAZING! Barlow is the true singer of this band. I feel bad for Owens, but I think he should do his own thing. So far he's just been taking other peoples places.
Snockis - 16.12.2007 at 20:01
Written by Daniell on 12.12.2007 at 18:23

Best news this year! It's already December, so it'll be hard to beat...

Have to say, sign to that.
Best news this year.
Arian Totalis - 16.12.2007 at 20:21
Wow, this is both good and bad news for me. I love Matt, but I loved ripper too
Thought. - 17.12.2007 at 01:17
All is well with the universe once again
kaos666 - 19.12.2007 at 13:31
Yeaaaaa!!! YEAAAAAAAAA!!!! YEAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MATBARLOW - 22.02.2008 at 11:54
I looved ripper but I think that Mat is more suitable for Iced Earth.I'm waiting them in Greece!!!
Nimlot - 03.03.2008 at 23:12
Written by Ivan on 12.12.2007 at 12:10

Written by ylside on 12.12.2007 at 01:14

HOLY SHIT !!

This about sums up my initial thoughts. But also I feel bad for Tim Owens, who just keeps getting kicked out when the old frontman returns. Not really fair to him, he's a great singer...

My point exactly... but guess what The Ripper is now with none other than Yngwie Malmsteen, so he'll be fine
IconMaiden - 01.04.2008 at 04:18
Sorry to change the subject guys, but when I first heard that Matt was back, the first thought that came to my mind was whether or not Iced Earth would remake The Glorious Burden or Framing Armageddon with Barlow on vocals, ala Days of Purgatory. Do you guys think this is a good idea?
IconMaiden - 01.04.2008 at 04:19
I know that Framing Armageddon is too early, but they could certainly do Burden
Samuel - 10.04.2008 at 12:38
My life is complete again...

okay not really

but this is pretty awesome.

I know this is old news but I haven't been on here in a while and gave up on iced earth once Tim Owens came around

Pages: 1 [2]

News Iced Earth - Matt Barlow's New Band 9 26.08.2006 by Dam3k
News Matt Barlow - Announces New Project With Freddie Vidales And Van Williams 9 15.07.2012 by WorpeX
News Iced Earth - New DVD In The Works, Bassist Leaves The Band 7.5 11.04.2012 by MarioVillalobos
News Iced Earth - Vocalist Is Leaving The Band Again 7.5 02.03.2011 by Angelic Storm
News Iced Earth - An Update On The Band 7.5 09.09.2010 by Valentin B