Headbangers Ball Blog can exclusively reveal that singer Tommy Cummings has been fired from Divine Heresy. The move came after Cummings flew into a rage during a show on April 26 in Poughkeepsie, New York when the other players wouldn't let him end the set early.

"He gave us 10 different reasons why we should stop 'My microphone doesn't work, I got diarrhea, the monitors are f-ked up' whatever he could think of," Cazares told HeadbangersBlog.com. "And we decided that's not fair to the fans. We wanted to give them a full show."

In part, the other members of Divine Heresy decided to finish the gig because they didn't think Cummings was being honest about why he wanted to cut the set short. "We felt that he wanted to end the show early to go hang out at the New England Metal Fest, which we were supposed to be performing at the next day," Cazares said.

But when Divine Heresy blasted into the next song, Cummings became unglued. He tried to pry the drumsticks from Tim Yeung's hands, then he shoved Cazares, knocking him down. "The venue has a weird step onstage, and I hit the step and fell after he pushed me," Cazares said. "He just caught me off balance. It was extremely unprofessional, and, in my head I just knew it was over with him."

The Poughkeepsie incident was the final straw in a relationship that had grown increasingly strained over time. From the start, Cummings' hardcore and hip-hop background clashed with the rest of the band's brutal death metal orientation, and as the lead singer, he seemed to see himself as the leader of the group even though the band was formed by Cazares. "He's a big, intimidating guy and he knows how to use that to his advantage," the guitarist explained. "We didn't agree on a lot of things and we thought it was better that he left."

After the onstage confrontation, Divine Heresy canceled their April 27 headline show at the New England Metal and Hardcore Fest and returned to California. Currently, the band has auditions scheduled with four other singers and will definitely be onboard when their tour with Arch Enemy and Firewind launches on May 9 in Philadelphia.

"Even if we have to go as a three-piece we'll be there because Joe sings as well," Cazares said. "Sometimes it's a bit difficult for him to do both. But even if I have to sing which you don't want to hear we'll be there."

As stressful are circumstances are at the moment for Divine Heresy, Cazares said the shakeup with Cummings was inevitable and for the best. "There were a lot of things that were leading up to this," he said. "Tommy's a great singer and a great frontman. We just didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things. I know Tommy has another project that he's working on and I hope his is able to make it work for himself with another band. We have no ill will towards him, we just weren't on the same page."

Source: headbangersblog.mtv.com
Band profile: Divine Heresy

Posted: 30.04.2008 by Thryce

Comments

Baz Anderson - 30.04.2008 at 15:03
ha, interesting! at least Dino is eager to get the show running again..
I bet the audience didn't know what to think! just imagine Dino rolling around the stage on the floor.. hahaha.. poor guy
still.. I don't know about the "brutal death metal orientation" as such, but whatever..

I am sure they will find a singer to fit their band, there are already a million other people out there that sing that way. maybe they should look for someone with a bit of originality this time!!!
Thryce - 30.04.2008 at 15:36
Written by Baz Anderson on 30.04.2008 at 15:03

I don't know about the "brutal death metal orientation" as such, but whatever..

Had the same thought about that part actually. Think he's maybe talking about their backgrounds: Dino Cazares (Brujeria), Tim Yeung (Hate Eternal, Vital Remains, Decrepit Birth), Joe Payne (Nile). I really can't imagine he's talking about Divine Heresy.

Anyway, this is a pretty entertaining piece of news, to say the least.
jupitreas - 30.04.2008 at 16:42
Take your heads out of your asses my friends and realize that there are more than one ways of sounding brutal
As for the incident, it comes as a surprise, but I suppose its for the better considering what Dino said. The vocalist was actually pretty good I think, maybe not terribly original but at least he performed well. His screams were quality and his clean vocals were some of the best on the scene (Keith Caputo influenced, I'd say).

Anyway, this band was always about Dino's guitars and Tim's drums so a change of vocalists wont harm them very much.
Thryce - 30.04.2008 at 17:23
Written by jupitreas on 30.04.2008 at 16:42

In what way would you call Divine Heresy a brutal death metal band then, I wonder.

You made me curious though. Next time I listen to the clean vocals on "Bleed The Fifth", I'll keep Keith Caputo's voice in mind, let's see what it gives
jupitreas - 30.04.2008 at 17:32
Written by Thryce on 30.04.2008 at 17:23

Written by jupitreas on 30.04.2008 at 16:42

Do you have to ask? Half of the album is a blastbeat...
MINDSI1618 - 30.04.2008 at 17:55
I think Dino is a classy guy for saying good things about Cummings after the latter treated him this immature way. As for the band, they need to grow.Last album had some awesome songs but was a weak effort over all. Hopefully with the new singer they will evolve into something more interesting and original.
CyberWasted - 30.04.2008 at 18:01
I guess easy come easy go. Good this crap was sorted out early. I'm sure
there are heaps of great vocalists that can fill Tommy's shoes and then some, without all the arrogant baggage! Lets hope they get someone who totally lifts Divine Heresy to dizzying heights. First album very impressive debut! With the right frontman this band could potentially climb to the stratosphere of metal!
Carrion Misery - 30.04.2008 at 18:32
Just because the music has blast beats doesn't mean its brutal death metal. Its Metalcore at its best with influences from death metal and fear factory. The vocalist is yelling, not growling or screaming. I just call it metalcore for 13 year olds who go to hot topic and thats it really. No offense to anyone not a teenager who happens to like them, but thats just my opinion. As they said, the singer has a hiphop background. He didn't know what he was doing. If you listen to Cryptopsy, Dying Fetus, or Suffocation then you can clearly tell that Divine Heresy is by far less brutal.
jupitreas - 30.04.2008 at 18:49
Written by Carrion Misery on 30.04.2008 at 18:32

xdissectionx - 30.04.2008 at 21:09
good. didnt like that guys vocals that much.
Sepulchre - 30.04.2008 at 22:08
Written by xdissectionx on 30.04.2008 at 21:09

good. didnt like that guys vocals that much.

Me either, I think this is a good thing for the band
CyberWasted - 01.05.2008 at 04:02
Written by Carrion Misery on 30.04.2008 at 18:32

Regardless of where you want to pigeon hole this band, this was a pretty damn refreshing release. Metalcore - maybe some leanings in the vocal department, but the music is certainly more leaning toward modern death / with a heafty side order of Fear Factory. Yeah we all know Dino's history, its great to hear him back thrashing out his shredding mastery! Ive been listening to metal since 1991 and I love certain tracks off the album, other parts just plain bore me to tears. Pure death metal they ain't but you need to give credit where its due also, still a fairly crushing release anyway you look at it!
Stigmatized - 01.05.2008 at 06:17
I never liked his voice, it really took away from the music. Hopefully they get someone better and more fitting.
-Valhalla- - 02.05.2008 at 05:48
This is exactly what i wanted for this band, hopefully they get someone with the right image this time.

News Divine Heresy - Search For New Vocalist 7.5 17.07.2008 by LeChron James
News Divine Heresy - South American Cancellation 6 15.08.2008 by LeChron James
News Divine Heresy - First New Album Details And Song Online 6 06.06.2009 by LeChron James
News Divine Heresy - Japanese Bonus Track Online 6 12.12.2007 by -DC-002-
News Divine Heresy - Prepare New Material, New Video With New Singer Online 6 17.10.2008 by LeChron James