Metal Storm logo
Burzum

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 09:54
This band needs no introduction.

To start things off, what do people think of Vargs' writings about paganism that are posted on his website ((www.burzum.org)?
17.07.2009 - 15:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Diabolos on 17.07.2009 at 14:59

As I said, I absolutely don't care if someone is an asshole or not, but his music is nothing special for me. I also know that Burzum was very important for BM, but who cares? Do I have to listen to any band that influenced other bands? And I also agree that no band played like that but I don't know in which time you live, but I live in 2009 and nowadays there are lots of better bands than Burzum

@Ex-Filip: There are good and bad depressive BM vocals and imo his are bad

1- While I wrote my post you two already put the other ones... If I knew that, I wouldn't post the first quote

2- The "who cares" is not about liking a band... It's about respecting it. I truly dislike everything Metallica and Iron Maiden have done.... But I respect them to some degree.

3- Check my favorite cd collection as an example... I think I'm pretty stuck with the present just like you. I'm just objective and fair with the bands that played in the past... We all know that metal has a constant evolution and that most of the old bands are.. well... getting old! . But I still like to look back once in a while. I'm not forcing my tastes onto someone. I just don't see the point of insulting bands, especially important ones. That's why I don't visit Metallica, Iron Maiden or similar bands threads because it's jsut not my duty to bash them.

But hey... We agree to disagree, it's not like I gonna stab you several times jajaja.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.07.2009 - 16:35
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.07.2009 at 15:04

As I said, I absolutely don't care if someone is an asshole or not, but his music is nothing special for me. I also know that Burzum was very important for BM, but who cares? Do I have to listen to any band that influenced other bands? And I also agree that no band played like that but I don't know in which time you live, but I live in 2009 and nowadays there are lots of better bands than Burzum

@Ex-Filip: There are good and bad depressive BM vocals and imo his are bad

1- While I wrote my post you two already put the other ones... If I knew that, I wouldn't post the first quote

2- The "who cares" is not about liking a band... It's about respecting it. I truly dislike everything Metallica and Iron Maiden have done.... But I respect them to some degree.

3- Check my favorite cd collection as an example... I think I'm pretty stuck with the present just like you. I'm just objective and fair with the bands that played in the past... We all know that metal has a constant evolution and that most of the old bands are.. well... getting old! . But I still like to look back once in a while. I'm not forcing my tastes onto someone. I just don't see the point of insulting bands, especially important ones. That's why I don't visit Metallica, Iron Maiden or similar bands threads because it's jsut not my duty to bash them.

So I guess we totally agree to each other, I respect Varg for what he has done, but his music is not good anymore and he will always be an asshole . And imo there are also some "old" bands where the music is still up to date and I can listen to it
18.07.2009 - 12:52
Hamird
Lieutenant

but I live in 2009 and nowadays there are lots of better bands than Burzum

We haven't heard his Black Metal since 1997.. Maybe the upcoming album again be a good album, and make his way to the top of Black Metal.
18.07.2009 - 13:20
IronAngel
Well, I'll be controversial here:

I don't think a band deserves any special attention or reverence because of the impact it's had on the scene. Certainly, it's good to be civilized and generally knowledgeable about these things, so you probably should listen to and get an OK overview of bands like Burzum or, say, Metallica if you want to be familiar with the metal genre. Doesn't mean you should give a crap about it apart from pure historical curiosity. "Respect" is not something you should gain with such arbitrary achievements as "influencing other bands," and it should play no part in whether you think the band is crap or not.

Furthermore, I do think it's appropriate to take the character of the musician in some consideration. It's a fine line, though. Is it alright to support an artist whose views and actions are completely contrary to your ethics? I don't think it diminishes the quality of the art, but there's some case to be made about not supporting people like that. It's not stupid at all to choose not to listen to Burzum because the man is a rotten maniac, and very unintelligent at that. Your ethical principles should take priority over musical preference.

Personally, though, I don't mind. And I like Burzum a lot. I absolutely love the vocals. Atmosphere is what gets me in Black Metal, and Burzum has loads of that. One of my favorite BM bands, though Darkthrone takes the cake. I like his ambient too, though I've heard better.
18.07.2009 - 13:30
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Hamird on 18.07.2009 at 12:52

but I live in 2009 and nowadays there are lots of better bands than Burzum

We haven't heard his Black Metal since 1997.. Maybe the upcoming album again be a good album, and make his way to the top of Black Metal.

I'll definately give the new album a listen, but my expectations are not very high
18.07.2009 - 22:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 18.07.2009 at 13:20

"Respect" is not something you should gain with such arbitrary achievements as "influencing other bands," and it should play no part in whether you think the band is crap or not.

I agree here... I respect bands like Iron Maiden or Metallica but it doesn't make any difference for me because they are still crap for me. Burzum happens to be a band that I respect AND like the music. So respect is something that I don't put over musical taste.'On the other way around... I really dislike Kvarforth... But Shining is still one of my favorite bands because I love the music, but not the musician behind it.

Written by IronAngel on 18.07.2009 at 13:20

Your ethical principles should take priority over musical preference.

...Why?

Ethical Principles over musical preference? Then that kind of people don't really enjoy music. No one should care where the music is from... but what it is on it's own. I wouldn't discover half of the bands I like if I choosed ethics over musical preference.
I find it very curious that you think that respect doesn't matter but ethics do... I mean... why?
If I enjoy the music of some NSBM I will not give a damn and will buy the album anyway. Music is something out of everything that it's called moral or ethics.

Written by Diabolos on 18.07.2009 at 13:30

I'll definately give the new album a listen, but my expectations are not very high

I don't have hopes at all... It's better to always be like that. Then the bad album will not be a tragedy but something you expected.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.07.2009 - 16:39
IronAngel
Well, it is not a matter of whether you enjoy the music or not. It's about whether you choose to support the person who makes the music, and fund his/her continued lifestyle that you disapprove of. (Though the support may also be merely symbolic.)

It's exactly the same as boycotting Amazon because of the working conditions its employees have to suffer (as a concrete example), choosing to cancel the order of a newspaper who publishes a report you find immoral and disagreeable (such as political propaganda that conceals genocide, as another practical example), or in fact voting according to your personal conviction in a democratic election.

The highest guiding principle of all your decisions should be in morality. That's not the same as being a hypocritical moralist, quite the opposite. If one truly objected to, say, paganism, it would be rather hypocritical to support pagan artists just because the music is enjoyable.

But, as I said, I have no personal conflicts with Burzum, either way. But if I did, it wouldn't be foolish to follow my moral maxims rather than my taste in music.
20.07.2009 - 12:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 19.07.2009 at 16:39

It's exactly the same as boycotting Amazon because of the working conditions its employees have to suffer (as a concrete example), choosing to cancel the order of a newspaper who publishes a report you find immoral and disagreeable (such as political propaganda that conceals genocide, as another practical example), or in fact voting according to your personal conviction in a democratic election.

Sorry.... I fail to see what this have to do with buying music, specially with the first example... It's not in the same level as supporting a place where the working conditions are crap.
I support music.... I want the guy or girl to continue with it. I support their music but I never support them.

This matter is almost like the people who don't want to move to another house where some weird/gross stuff happened like a homicide/suicide or both... I mean, the house doesn't have blood so that's fair enough. Same goes here. The artist being an asshole do not affect the music.

And this is just my opinion: Moral and ethics don't a huge amount of value since a long time ago. and to even being a burden for cds people should buy or not is out of my understanding
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.07.2009 - 17:36
ironfiststew
Account deleted
Notice how everyone who responded to my post is either 17 or 18. angsty teens love this shit.

BURZUM IS SHIIIIIIT. if you listen to burzum, you have NO STANDARDS, IN LIFE. my asshole produces more beautiful music than burzum. total fucking garbage. NEXT.
20.07.2009 - 18:12
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
That one has to go to ''funny quotes'' topic
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
20.07.2009 - 19:11
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by [user id=41594] on 20.07.2009 at 17:36

Notice how everyone who responded to my post is either 17 or 18. angsty teens love this shit.

BURZUM IS SHIIIIIIT. if you listen to burzum, you have NO STANDARDS, IN LIFE. my asshole produces more beautiful music than burzum. total fucking garbage. NEXT.

Opinions like assholes, etc.

Bye
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
21.07.2009 - 02:29
ß
Problem?

Notice how your replies are those typical of a 17 or 18 year old.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
21.07.2009 - 03:08
rageing atheist
Account deleted

And you are 20. Huge fucking difference, right? I can only imagine how ridiculous would it look for some older people to see a 20 year old calling a bunch of 17 - 18 year old people "angsty teens", while only being two years older.

Edit, to keep this post more relevant to the topic: I've found out that after I've started listening to Kraftwerk and Throbbing Gristle I've also learned to appreciate the 20 minute synth track on Filosofem.
21.07.2009 - 03:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=23267] on 21.07.2009 at 03:08

And you are 20. Huge fucking difference, right? I can only imagine how ridiculous would it look for some older people to see a 20 year old calling a bunch of 17 - 18 year old people "angsty teens", while only being two years older.

You're right. I am more than twice her age and totally laughed my ass off seeing a 20 year YOUNG person calling 17 and 18 year olds angsty teens as if when you're 20 you're all of a sudden old and so-called wise and know what good and bad music is. HELL FUCKING NO
But btw I do agree Burzum's music isn't good at all, but tht has nothing to do with age cause I have friends who are older than me that absolutely love Burzum's music.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.07.2009 - 04:24
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late

Eh you need to grow up. You just sound so childish, it is seriously pissing me off. You are so narrow minded, Burzum aren't just about creating melodies, it's about creating an atmosphere, which they do very well. Everyone in this thread is tiring of you, I think you should give up now.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
21.07.2009 - 11:06
Hellkommando

I am not 17 or 18 nor am I "angsty". Mentioning the point of age, please, if anyone here has a maturity issue it is you. "NEXT!"
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
21.07.2009 - 17:45
Galar
Wicked Mung

You have down syndrome. Please go in a cave, and never come back. If you don't like the band, DONT POST in the thread. Easy as pie. You have lowered my intelligence, and your immaturity is ever so evident.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
21.07.2009 - 17:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Galar on 21.07.2009 at 17:45

You have down syndrome. Please go in a cave, and never come back. If you don't like the band, DONT POST in the thread. Easy as pie. You have lowered my intelligence, and your immaturity is ever so evident.

She can post here although she doesn't like the band, as long as it is explained why she dislikes the band (and not in the way she just did, cause that is just retarded)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.07.2009 - 20:38
Visioneerie
Urban Monster

For the record, I don't even like Burzum. I just felt like bashing your dumb comment because we can all have a little fun right ? I mean you left yourself wide open, it's easy for anyone regardless being fans or not of the band to drop the bomb on you. Post a retarded comment like that on any band's discussion topic and your bound to get the same answer out of me anyways.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
23.07.2009 - 15:26
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I dont like Varg as a person, but some of his works (especially older ones like Hvis Lyset Tar Oss) are good enough, no matter what one retarded girl from America is saying
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.07.2009 - 17:53
RockeRoy
Anayway... i saw varg buy a drumkit today, well he piced it up at the post-office so i guess he had ordered it, it was a Sonor kit. so guess he going to lay down some crappy drums for his new material:)
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
24.07.2009 - 16:54
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by [user id=23267] on 21.07.2009 at 03:08

Edit, to keep this post more relevant to the topic: I've found out that after I've started listening to Kraftwerk and Throbbing Gristle I've also learned to appreciate the 20 minute synth track on Filosofem.

Yes, that's my favorite also, though I rarely listen to it perfectly .
24.07.2009 - 19:48
IronAngel
You, ladies and gentlemen, have just been trolled. But do not worry: every once in a while, even the best of men get trolled. They just dust their clothes and get back into the saddle.

I'm not particularly keen on Burzum's faster tracks. The atmospheric Hvist Lyset Tar Oss is to my liking, while the other stuff I've heard sounds pretty average to me. But then, I'm not an expert or a huge fan of BM. Gotta say, some of his ambientish works are brilliant too: Moti Ragnarokum and Han Som Reiste, to name two.

I have to admit that I've never heard Filosofem, though. It's the only BM album of Burzum's I haven't heard, and now I see it's the highest rated on MS. I guess I'm missing something?
24.07.2009 - 22:34
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 24.07.2009 at 19:48

I have to admit that I've never heard Filosofem, though. It's the only BM album of Burzum's I haven't heard, and now I see it's the highest rated on MS. I guess I'm missing something?

If you like Hvis Lyset more than the first two albums then you'd probably like Filosofem too, some of the best Burzum songs are on it (Dunkelheit, Jesus Tod, Beholding the Daughters of the Firmament).
26.07.2009 - 16:40
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
According to rumors, Varg has announced, he has 9 songs for a new album to be out next year...
----

31.07.2009 - 01:22
Skøllgrim
Northern

This thread is just what I expected, stupid people trolling Varg, and or Burzum, and some folks defending. In my opinion this band is influential for a reason, its a good band

*edit* to make people understand my post better
31.07.2009 - 10:04
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I would say it is a matter of taste...i personally like Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Filosofem quite a lot, but i know many people who simply dont and they doesnt have to be stupid because of it...and about Varg as a person - i dont like him either, if nothing more, he is crazy (have read some of his imaginations of how "ideal society" should look like...and he wants to achieve this "ideal" by force, just if he can...)
----

31.07.2009 - 19:25
Skøllgrim
Northern
I never meant to say everyone was stupid if they didn't like Varg and or Burzum, I just had a strong feeling there would be people that had trolled here, and of course.... Music is subjective, there is hard to find "truth" which bands / styles are the best, its about taste, I agree very much.
31.07.2009 - 20:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Skøllgrim on 31.07.2009 at 19:25

I never meant to say everyone was stupid if they didn't like Varg and or Burzum

well, that is exactly what you typed. and considering the amount of stupid and criminal behavior Vargy Varg McVargersson engaged in, do you think negative comments or criticism is unwarranted?

but using your stereotyping, i'll say sane people criticize the man, as he deserves it. and only worthless fanbois defend the douchebag for murder, arson, his nazi bullshit because he wrote some ok music...

weee generalization is fun. now i'm just as big a prick as you are.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.07.2009 - 21:25
Skøllgrim
Northern
Written by BitterCOld on 31.07.2009 at 20:41

Written by Skøllgrim on 31.07.2009 at 19:25

I never meant to say everyone was stupid if they didn't like Varg and or Burzum

well, that is exactly what you typed. and considering the amount of stupid and criminal behavior Vargy Varg McVargersson engaged in, do you think negative comments or criticism is unwarranted?

but using your stereotyping, i'll say sane people criticize the man, as he deserves it. and only worthless fanbois defend the douchebag for murder, arson, his nazi bullshit because he wrote some ok music...

weee generalization is fun. now i'm just as big a prick as you are.

What the? Where do you come up with all this? suddenly I'm a fanboi and I'm a big prick? just because I wrote a tiny comment which you have interpreted your own way? Go find someone else to troll. I think nazi, murder and arson is wrong and I've never defended him for that and I never will either. I didn't realize this thread was about Varg as a person, I thought it was about the band, seeing that this thread is under extreme metal, clearly I'm mistaken, as for his "pagan writings", nazi-shit is always unwanted.
So what if I expected there to be people talking negative or trolling varg and burzum... I'm just so sick of people judging the band because of the person all the time, not giving it a chance. What did I do to you, calling me a prick?