Metal Storm logo
Favourite Metal Subgenre

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 17.05.2006 - 23:37
So what's your favourite metal subgenre? Mine is progressive metal; love it's creativity and with lengthy songs it gives the artists enough time to produce a lot of diversity within a track. Most of the time the musicians are highly skilled as well as being able to combine emotion into their music. Additionally, I find that this genre of music can be very experimental at times.

Btw, if your favourite genre is not on the poll it's because I didn't have enough space to put it on. So click other and say what your favourite genre is.

Poll

What is yoir favourite metal subgenre?

Death Metal
Black Metal
Thrash Metal
Power Metal
Other (please specify)
Progressive Metal
Folk/Viking Metal
Heavy Metal
Gothic Metal

Total votes: 535
21.05.2006 - 18:08
__Az__
Thats a point, why hasnt doom metal been placed on the list... A brilliant genre...
22.05.2006 - 00:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by __Az__ on 21.05.2006 at 18:08

Thats a point, why hasnt doom metal been placed on the list... A brilliant genre...

I agree where are doom?
Its great genre whit more subganres hwo are here mention
But its proove that what I had say almoust in my all post about doom metal
Its most underground metal genre and its hard to understand for some people, well doom metal shoud be here
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.05.2006 - 00:55
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Hard to pick one out, to be honest. I don´t listen to metal that much anymore, considering that my favourite metal band is quite clearly Tool, I probably would choose progressive, although Tool isn´t always recognised as progressive metal.
But then again there´ s Gorguts and Nile from dm and Emperor and early Ulver from bm, so it´ s quite impossible to decide.
22.05.2006 - 04:14
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
I think is very diffcult to choose a specific genre; because we love many styles; power; death; black; doom; heavy
22.05.2006 - 06:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I can't chose a genre as I don't paricularly have any favorite genre - I focus more on individual bands rather than genres as a whole... and so many of the bands I like might bleed across several genres (Ulver, Enslaved), so it's fairly pointless.

Each genre has it's cream of the crop as well as crap of the crop. Ultimately I lean more towards extreme metal or noise...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.05.2006 - 13:01
BlindedByFear
Account deleted
I choosed Death Metal but i mean kind of melodic Death metal, like At the gates and earlier In Flames!
23.05.2006 - 16:29
TheKreator
Account deleted
my fav genre is thrash metal....u just can't go over bands such as Sayer, Megadeth, Testament, Overkill and so on....i like many metal genres...but i guess this is my fav:)
24.05.2006 - 08:38
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
I voted for prog, since i am yet to hear a prog band i dont like. Although the perfect mix for me is Symphonic/Gothic/Prog, but im not too fussy.
24.05.2006 - 13:13
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Power Metal is my overall favourite, yeh it has alot of crap bands, but it has also most of my favourite bands.
Second and third would have to be Folk/Viking and Black.
24.05.2006 - 15:37
__Az__
I dont think we should class Viking on its own as a genre.... What defines viking?

If Enslaved are viking... Arent they black aswell?
And is the genre just based on lyrical content??
25.05.2006 - 18:24
Carnage
Thrash Fukin Metal! all the way, its just so insanely good, next would probaby be Death Metal, ive listened to some like Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Death and some other good Death Metal bands and ive got to admit they are pretty good, but still in my opinion Thrash Metal is better than any other type of music
----
Even in death there's no equality...
because some people make better corpses than others...
26.05.2006 - 16:41
Soul less
Account deleted
I dont understand how people can like Power Metal vocals. I like clean vocals, but those are prepubescent cries. Someone please explain what you see in the vocals.

(Please do not take offence to the 'prepubescent cries' part)

26.05.2006 - 16:56
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=2801] on 26.05.2006 at 16:41

I dont understand how people can like Power Metal vocals.

I'm actually corious for this answer, cuz I can't stand them, and I wonder how can others like it.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
26.05.2006 - 19:20
#~|CoP Return|~#
Account deleted
Iwill go for Progressive metal!

Considering that my Top 5 favourite bands is :

-Dream Theater
-Opeth
-Symphony X
-Porcupine Tree
-Pain Of Salvation

I think it speaks for itself... I don't know why but I always been more attracted to progressive bands... maybe because of the musical performances... The instrumental play is better IMO on the progressive metal... I just can't live without prog bands
Really a musical stuff...
27.05.2006 - 21:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 26.05.2006 at 16:56

Written by [user id=2801] on 26.05.2006 at 16:41

I dont understand how people can like Power Metal vocals.

I'm actually corious for this answer, cuz I can't stand them, and I wonder how can others like it.

Mna me to and Im courius why people mix power metal whit heavy metal Iron Maiden ins not power metal and Edguy are not heavy metal

But in power metal are some god bands, Salamandra, The Arrow, but moustly power metal are boring

Power ,metal are party metal but doom metal are emotional, one people music, when he are alone and its music for phylosophy
----

apos;'
[image]
27.05.2006 - 23:42
matos
black metal ist krieg! (and also my favourite subgenre)
----
28.05.2006 - 00:22
Daru Jericho
Written by __Az__ on 21.05.2006 at 18:08

This question has been asked too many times and I've actually answered it with the last statement of my first post; I didn't have enough space. I do enjoy bands within the said genre and if I had a limitless number of fields for this poll, doom would certainly be in there. In the mean time, you can choose other and state doom.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

28.05.2006 - 01:13
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
Viva Power Metal!
I too prefer Power Metal above other genres .. Not that I solely listen to this subgenre, but still.. I like it most. Bands like Sonata Arctica, Wintersun, Warmen, Children Of Bodom and such give me most satisfaction in music

On the second place for me would be Death Metal
and this is also second place in the poll

Man .. it feels good to know I'm an average person afterall
(no offence to people whom love other subgenres more )
28.05.2006 - 01:46
suinelah
I voted Other.

I can't really choose a specific subgenre as my favorite.
It's constantly changing. A few years back I was obsessed
with anything remotly Gothic or Doomy...
At the moment I'm mostly in to Folk, but I've noticed that
I've been listening more and more to Thrash and Death
lately... so...
----
blessed be,
//suinelah
28.05.2006 - 12:59
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Thrash metal of course. Aggressive and mad. Me like it Death metal's really good too.
28.05.2006 - 14:18
Basso
Account deleted
black.. because of Emperor
28.05.2006 - 18:00
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 27.05.2006 at 21:35

Power ,metal are party metal but doom metal are emotional, one people music, when he are alone and its music for phylosophy

I couldn't put it better myself.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
28.05.2006 - 18:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 28.05.2006 at 18:00

Written by Bad English on 27.05.2006 at 21:35

I couldn't put it better myself.

But well power metal lyircs are Now its be free improvisation

Power
"I saw a dragon, I hunting it
I saw a sword, I broke it"

Death:
"war
Thay take me there
Death
It take me home"

Thrash same us death"

Black"
In mountains, where landscapes are...
Frozen, and dusk kill my eyes..."

Doom:
"Alcohool My Hope-New Love Destroyer"

Now I just tell some lyrivs of genres, so doom are philsophy, lil' bit black metal too
----

apos;'
[image]
28.05.2006 - 18:33
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 28.05.2006 at 18:10

Power

:rollin: OMG, that is so rich! But I agree, and there should be only one power metal band, to sing all these adventures, not a gazilion...
----

28.05.2006 - 18:44
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
What ?
Only one power metal band ?
Where would the variety and creativity be if there was only one power metal band ?
28.05.2006 - 20:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 28.05.2006 at 18:33

Power

not a gazilion...

What you mean by this?

Well some power metal band lyrics are like small fantasy stoories, Rhapsody, Luca Trully, Salamandra but some abnds lyrics are so boring, no fantasy nothing,
Luca has inspirated from mytsh, bocks, history, but mustly power metal bands are inspirated dunno.
----

apos;'
[image]
28.05.2006 - 20:25
MetalSpider
Impossible for me to choose. I like Power, Progressive, Death, Heavy, Doom (a little bit...some great bands), Black (certain bands), Folk/Viking, Symphonic (mixed with Power, Progressive etc.)
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
28.05.2006 - 20:57
Draklar
Account deleted
Written by __Az__ on 24.05.2006 at 15:37

If Enslaved are viking...
, which they aren't.

I voted for folk/viking. Don't really listen to much metal besides those two genres (and more viking than folk). Well, sometimes I listen to power/heavy and I'll throw in melodeath too, but only from time to time.
Over time I started to love the traditional tunes, so if I listen to metal, it's usually one of those two...
28.05.2006 - 21:09
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 28.05.2006 at 20:00

Written by Damnated on 28.05.2006 at 18:33

Power

not a gazilion...

What you mean by this?

Well some power metal band lyrics are like small fantasy stoories, Rhapsody, Luca Trully, Salamandra but some abnds lyrics are so boring, no fantasy nothing,
Luca has inspirated from mytsh, bocks, history, but mustly power metal bands are inspirated dunno.

Gazillion is a big number
----

29.05.2006 - 00:37
Silhouette
My vote goes to progressive metal.

I listen to any kind of music (non-metal as well) as long as it's varied and has something to give. Progressive music is by far the most varied genre, and it's also a genre where the musicians really have a lot of space to express their musicality and technicality. Especially musicality is something I value very high.

Progressive it is.