Metal Storm logo
Death metal vocals

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 19.06.2007 - 23:17
I have been trying to get some vocals sort of between Vader and Meshuggah but i cant do it and if i do i cant keep it up for long, any tips on how to scream/growl like this would be greatly appreciated.
07.04.2008 - 18:17
Sunioj
Written by Lord TJ on 07.04.2008 at 18:05

Everyone has their own sound when it comes to growls, not many people think of that.

Written by [user id=26418] on 12.01.2008 at 21:21

I don't know so much about this but I use to listen to some DEath Metal Bands, and for me, Angela's Gossow vocals (from Arch Enemy) is really amazing...

She uses effects in her voice, I can hear it.

Seconded.
07.04.2008 - 19:06
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Sunioj on 07.04.2008 at 18:17

Written by Lord TJ on 07.04.2008 at 18:05

Everyone has their own sound when it comes to growls, not many people think of that.

Written by [user id=26418] on 12.01.2008 at 21:21

I don't know so much about this but I use to listen to some DEath Metal Bands, and for me, Angela's Gossow vocals (from Arch Enemy) is really amazing...

She uses effects in her voice, I can hear it.

Seconded.

I can hear it too in Doomsday machine and other later releases, but I don't think she did in her early days with AE.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
07.04.2008 - 19:37
Lord TJ
Just think of what she would sound like in bed if her vocals were real...
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
07.04.2008 - 19:58
Sunioj
Written by Arian Totalis on 07.04.2008 at 19:06

I can hear it too in Doomsday machine and other later releases, but I don't think she did in her early days with AE.

I agree with you, Wages of Sin had much more organic vocals.

@TJ
LOL!
08.04.2008 - 15:49
Hangar XVIII
Written by Lord TJ on 07.04.2008 at 19:37

It's weird, cause my friend just asked me that yesterday o-o.

But yeah, i don't really like singing death metal vocals, cause they don't feel good to sing, but you should always try to do them from your vowels, not from your throat.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
08.04.2008 - 16:35
Lord TJ
Written by Hangar XVIII on 08.04.2008 at 15:49

Written by Lord TJ on 07.04.2008 at 19:37

It's weird, cause my friend just asked me that yesterday o-o.

But yeah, i don't really like singing death metal vocals, cause they don't feel good to sing, but you should always try to do them from your vowels, not from your throat.

lol

If it hurts, thats when you know your doing it wrong. The vocalist from Lucifixion told me, "use your diaphram to push air out, position your throat like your going to speak in a low tone of voice. Pop, gum, and ciggarettes help your growlings a lot." Though I personally would not encourage smoking to help you, as it only would for a duration of time, while in the long run it would damage your vocal abilities.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

09.04.2008 - 12:03
Smurfophagist
Some told me that you should put ice on your throat and make your vowels kinda numb. I never tried personally, when I try to do growls I have to turn the mike up higher, because if I growl too loud myself I get tired very soon.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
10.04.2008 - 18:40
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Smurfophagist on 09.04.2008 at 12:03

Some told me that you should put ice on your throat and make your vowels kinda numb. I never tried personally, when I try to do growls I have to turn the mike up higher, because if I growl too loud myself I get tired very soon.

That is like the opposite of what you want to do. Who ever told you that is a dumbass. Sorry if that sounds mean, but that is a prime way to destroy your voice. Would you numb your whole leg and then try playing soccer? Of course not! You'd have no control, fall break it, and not know you broke it because you can't feel pain. Same with you voice. It is begins to hurt, STOP!!!

Plus making it cold is the opposite of what you should do. There is a reason they call warming it up. It is not just a figurative remark. Ever see James LaBrie drinking cold liquids before and during a show? No, he drinks hot tea (with honey) all the time. It keeps the bllod flowing, and stretches the muscles in the throat.
----
(space for rent)
10.04.2008 - 19:55
GhostofPerdition
Account deleted
Actually, when growling, you will always have a littleb it of throat pain at the start. This is just because you're not used to it. It shouldn't hurt enough to cause you to start coughing a lot, though. It shouldn't "sting." It will slightly hurt for the first bit because your throat isn't used to it. As long as you push it out with your stomach, you should be doing it right. When you do it, make sure your stomach is extremely tense. Kind of like you're holding your breath and forcing your stomach out, I suppose. Just with growling, you're using that to force the air out, and sorta talk/sing at the same time. To get a harsher, rougher sound, drink orange juice, pop, or other acidic things beforehand. To begin, maybe have a glass of water sitting close by, too. I think I explained that right. Excuse me if it makes no sense or I explained it wrong. I'm not good at putting thoughts into words to explain things in detail like this, hah.
11.04.2008 - 17:45
Lord TJ
That makes perfect sense to me.

My vocalist for my band keeps telling me things that help out his voice, he said Quizno's subs helps a lot. I tell him that he should train his growls so that he doesnt need to rely on other things to create his sound. Then again he uses the inward growls.
----

17.04.2008 - 00:50
Haightredy
Our singer's a good screamer, but he still doesn't know how to use false chord screaming, and I really don't want him to damage his voice, because we still might use clean singing, and, just listen to George (Corpsegrinder) Fisher (Cannibal Corpse). He always sounds like he has a really bad cold. So, any tips for learning to use false vocal chords?
18.04.2008 - 21:28
Lord TJ
Written by Haightredy on 17.04.2008 at 00:50

Our singer's a good screamer, but he still doesn't know how to use false chord screaming, and I really don't want him to damage his voice, because we still might use clean singing, and, just listen to George (Corpsegrinder) Fisher (Cannibal Corpse). He always sounds like he has a really bad cold. So, any tips for learning to use false vocal chords?

First watch your mouth on the S word, screaming is for screamo bands. Growling is for death metal.

The only tips I can give out is what I stated before, so re read the past posts.

And if it hurts, dont do it! Make sure he knows that!
----

19.04.2008 - 19:17
Shreddkillski
Account deleted
I don't understand how inhale screams/growls even work. How can you project a scream if you're inhaling?
21.04.2008 - 11:01
Smurfophagist
Ok, now I have finished dealing with problems like pain in the throat and such. I really feel that I got my growls to a higher level. Now I've started to notice that after some time practicing growls I start feeling a little dizzy...Is this because I'm not getting enough air and is it something I should worry about or will I get used to it in time?
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
21.04.2008 - 21:58
Lord TJ
Im not really sure.

Written by [user id=30177] on 19.04.2008 at 19:17

How can you project a scream if you're inhaling?

You don't, the techniques are different.
----

21.04.2008 - 23:49
Berfones
try snoring with your mouth closed and only pushing air through your nose, then try to flex the muscles around your throut so it will sound like a vibrating note, after you succeed on doing that do the same but push the air through your mouth, this will give you a nice growling voice after you manage to speak while doing it
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
21.04.2008 - 23:55
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
Written by NECURATU on 20.06.2007 at 12:15

Dude, d'you have singing capabilites? Like for normal singing I mean? If not, yer wasting yer time and destroying your throat. If you do, here ya go http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Harsh-Death-Metal-Vocals

awesome link, i tryed it out of curiosity cos i was wondering about it and it actually helps
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
29.04.2008 - 20:18
Lord TJ
Written by Berfones on 21.04.2008 at 23:49

try snoring with your mouth closed and only pushing air through your nose, then try to flex the muscles around your throut so it will sound like a vibrating note, after you succeed on doing that do the same but push the air through your mouth, this will give you a nice growling voice after you manage to speak while doing it

Thats a good way to damage your voice.
----

30.04.2008 - 14:46
Berfones
Written by Lord TJ on 29.04.2008 at 20:18

Written by Berfones on 21.04.2008 at 23:49

you can't growl and keep your voice unharmed, I think...
----
30.04.2008 - 14:49
Lord TJ
Written by Berfones on 30.04.2008 at 14:46

You can, its just hard to learn to do it the correct way.
----

30.04.2008 - 15:31
Berfones
Written by Lord TJ on 30.04.2008 at 14:49

Written by Berfones on 30.04.2008 at 14:46

You can, its just hard to learn to do it the correct way.

it's like trying to drink alchohol and not getting drunk, "if it doesn't hurt it means you are doing it wrong", it is much less fun when there is no pain in it
----
30.04.2008 - 19:32
Lord TJ
Written by Berfones on 30.04.2008 at 15:31

it's like trying to drink alchohol and not getting drunk, "if it doesn't hurt it means you are doing it wrong", it is much less fun when there is no pain in it

Why would getting hurt be fun? lol
----

01.05.2008 - 17:28
Berfones
Written by Lord TJ on 30.04.2008 at 19:32

Written by Berfones on 30.04.2008 at 15:31

Why would getting hurt be fun? lol

getting hurt is a part of the fun here, just like a stomachach is sometimes a part of the fun in riding roller cousters, pain is a part of the fun in growling
----
05.05.2008 - 20:35
Lord TJ
Written by Berfones on 01.05.2008 at 17:28

getting hurt is a part of the fun here, just like a stomachach is sometimes a part of the fun in riding roller cousters, pain is a part of the fun in growling

Except in this case pain could be something to totally fuck up your voice forever...
----

05.05.2008 - 20:41
Berfones
Written by Lord TJ on 05.05.2008 at 20:35

Written by Berfones on 01.05.2008 at 17:28

Except in this case pain could be something to totally fuck up your voice forever...

the all point of life is that it ends, and if you are to worried about how to make it longer or pass it without getting hurt you will miss the fun, live the moment, as you will die in the moment following
----
05.05.2008 - 20:50
Lord TJ
Written by Berfones on 05.05.2008 at 20:41

the all point of life is that it ends, and if you are to worried about how to make it longer or pass it without getting hurt you will miss the fun, live the moment, as you will die in the moment following

Your right, I will die in the future. I should fuck my vocals up as soon as possible! I will take no precautions in my actions!

I don't exactly find getting hurt fun, if theres things I want to do I can still be smart about it and have fun with it.
----

06.05.2008 - 17:11
Berfones
Written by Lord TJ on 05.05.2008 at 20:50

Written by Berfones on 05.05.2008 at 20:41

Your right, I will die in the future. I should fuck my vocals up as soon as possible! I will take no precautions in my actions!

I don't exactly find getting hurt fun, if theres things I want to do I can still be smart about it and have fun with it.

and some of the fun includes getting hurt, if you want me to get scientific on you, be it, there were some researches about what is fun, and it was found that the erea in the brain responsible for fun is also the one responsible for pain, and some may say that in any pain there is fun, and there is no fun without pain
----
06.05.2008 - 19:36
Lord TJ
Whats the source?

Well if you permanently fuck up your voice, im sure you'll never forget all the fun it took to do that which you live with for the rest of your life. Totally worth it isn't it?
----

13.05.2008 - 10:58
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Coffee and cigarettes!!

The coffee will warm and relax your throat plus give it some lubrication and a bit of flem due to the creamer, and smoking stimulates the hairs in your lungs which helps for some reason or another.. I don't recall the physics of it.

I've never experimented with death metal vocals before, but I've got some deep growls by accident before while recording black metal and this method seems like it works decently. Not that my vocals are other than generic, and I don't imagine the smoking is that useful.
18.05.2008 - 19:34
Dagorwen
Well, as I tryed to perform death metal voice, it first harmed my throat, and as I wish to keep my "clean" voice for melodic parts, I lokked on the internet for technics. I don't know if the tip with the "false vocal cords" is right, but it helps. But what helped me the best is simply.... the same technic as for melodic singing : breathing with your stomach and contracting your abdos. So my throat don't get hurt anymore, (behind the smile) I feel nothing, and it's also more powerfull. And yet I can go in the same song from "growling" to clear voice, for exemple training with D.B. "Progenies of the great apocalypse". So you don't have to sacrify your voice to growl. That's why I don't understand why most of the metal band use two singers, one for the growling, one for the "clean voices"? One could do the both.

PS: I it hurted (what means the technic is wrong), drink hot milk with lot of honey
PPS: have you some tips to get louder, it's still my problem ?