Metal Storm logo
The Best Horror Movies Of All Time

Original post

Posted by Herzebeth, 30.06.2007 - 03:25
Well I've been buying DVD's lately, I'm proud to have such classics as Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dead Alive...but I was wondering which movies are in your top 5 or top 10...any Horror movie dudes, it doesn't matter if it's zombies, ghosts, monsters or slahers

My top 5 goes more o less like this:

#5: Cabin Fever (I just can't get enough of watching stupid kids spreading a flesh eating disease, yeah it's way in the line of Evil Dead but it's just too cool and the girls have great boobs)

#4: Day Of The Dead (Romero's third installment in his trilogy, a great piece actually, the last scene is just sickening)

#3: Dawn Of The Dead (Damn it...it's just...amazing)

#2: Dead Alive: (Peter Jackson did this? god damn it he was a gory motherfucker...the goriest film I've ever seen)

#1: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (The master of Slasher films)

There are other good films I love, some of them are still on my "to buy list" and on my "please stop renting them or you'll end up begging for money in the streeths"

-Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer (Damn, this is chilling)
-Suspiria (Masterpiece)
-The Night Of The Living Dead
-Evil Dead
-Curtains

some others...which ones are your favorites
05.07.2007 - 17:44
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Written by Herzebeth on 03.07.2007 at 18:22

Written by Dane Train on 03.07.2007 at 08:02

Oh man, trying to pick my favorite horror films. Now, I am a fan of true horror. Just because there is a lot of blood and boobs doesn't make it horror. It makes it stupid. Now, I have been studying film for almost 10 years now, and have seen many, many horror films.

Here are my top picks in some what of an order...

• ALIEN (1979)
  • Nosferatu (1922)
  • The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
  • The Thing (1982)
  • Freaks (1932)
  • 28 Days Later... (2002)
  • An American Werewolf in London (1981)
  • The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
  • Night of the Living Dead (1968)
  • Dawn of the Dead (2004)

• Nice one, I'm glad I actually own and love all of them except for 28 Days Later which is the blatant copy of "I Drink Your Blood..." with a different disease it's just way assholian to rip a movie in such a blind way

you've been studying film since you were 13 years old? wow, at that age I was in high school

Anyhow, boobs and blood are so good IMO, I do love boob-less blood-less horror as well man

First of all I think the list is amazing, but if we just add Silent Hill it would be perfect

and for the Boob-less blood-less, I think if the movie had "boob-more blood-less" it would actually make it to my top ten movies.....
    ----
    The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
    06.07.2007 - 02:56
    Herzebeth
    Today I bought two INCREDIBLE horror films, I bought Tesis, a spanish film of Alejandro Amenabar, intense and fucking shivering, then someone stole the script and decided it was a good idea to bring Nicholas Cage to do 8MM...bitches...

and I also bought Battle Royale, a japanese film which will satisfy your gore guts it's truly insane, anybody ahs seen any of those?
    ----
    06.07.2007 - 03:48
    Ernis
    狼獾
    Written by Herzebeth on 06.07.2007 at 02:56

and I also bought Battle Royale, a japanese film which will satisfy your gore guts it's truly insane, anybody ahs seen any of those?

Seen both, BR and BRII....both are good films....the first film, however is more wicked and has this gore/gut element in it.....a vicious psychological action film....
    The second part is a logical continuation of the tale remains unsolved in the end of the first one...however, the second film is different....it's entirely in Scharzenegger shooting film style.....it may disappoint you but it makes it up by carrying a "deeper" undertone....with this film the tale basically is ended....but I must agree that the arrangements are different....one is this Tarantino like gutting film, the other is shooting action....
    06.07.2007 - 08:29
    Basso
    Account deleted
    Written by Herzebeth on 06.07.2007 at 02:56

Incredible movie, I really love it. Awesome story, awesome characthers, humor, action, emotion, gore, it has it all. It even has a cheesy ending \m/ (Oh wait..)

well anyway do yourself a favor and never watch BR2, its really really really shit in comparision to the first one... Made me feel bad about the battle royale tag on the movie.
    06.07.2007 - 21:42
    Herzebeth
    I will avoid BR2 then...and I almost bought the 2 DVD package

now...today I bought two other movies...Blockbuster Mexico is at 2X1 now lol.

I bought silence of the lambs, one of the most horrific thrillers I've ever seen, damn that hannibal is seriously one fucked up dude that doesn't even qualifies as slasher lol.

I also bought Bram Stoker's Dracula, romantic Horror yeah!!!
    ----
    06.07.2007 - 22:14
    Ernis
    狼獾
    Now quit bashing BRII..there are so many other things in life to whine about than a film's second part being weaker than the first one......one should see it...it isn't that awful....it's different and of lower quality in the action/horror part but all in all it's worth seeing....as I said....the tale of the main character continues in the second film and for that reason one should see it.....don't avoid BRII....it's a silly thing to do....
    07.07.2007 - 01:35
    Basso
    Account deleted
    Well im just stating my opinion, and in my opinion BR is a masterpiece, while BR 2 is a shitty actionmovie with nothing in common with the battle royale theme other than a class fighting for their lives... Lost all the brillance by not letting the class compete AGAINST eachoter, lost all intressting personas by making the main characters as mere terrorists, and in general its very very subpar to any action movie, even judging by todays standards..(says alot imo...)
    But lets not turn this thread into a BR thread. We probably wont ever agree on a topic such as this anyway.

@ Herzebeth : As you can see BR 2 has a split view on it, I would recommend reading up on it and reading some reviews before deciding to give it a try if you liked the first one. Just dont expect a similar experiance in any way... I did that and was severly dissapointed.
    07.07.2007 - 04:15
    Herzebeth
    One of the biggest sites in cinema has this thing:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338763/

while the first movie has almost an 8, the second film has a 4 as a rating, I guess I'll skip it (at least to buy) though If I find it to rent and there's nothing better around I'll give it a go just to see what happens with the characters, my hopes are really low so if I get something average I won't be dissapointed
    ----
    07.07.2007 - 10:33
    Clintagräm
    Shrinebuilder
    I'm not really into films as much as I used to, and never really been into the "underground" stuff but I actually though '1408' was pretty good. Although more of a thriller than just pure horror, but good nonetheless. I'm sure it's just child's play for you enthusiasts.
    ----
    The force will be with you, always.
    07.07.2007 - 13:13
    BloodTears
    ANA-thema
    Elite
    I think "Carrie" is a true classic. Although its not really horror, I suppose it was at the time.
    ----
    Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
    07.07.2007 - 15:38
    Ernis
    狼獾
    Try the film "Kairo"(The Pulse)....it's a Japanese film of 2001....it's really grand and rather spooky to watch in dark room.....if you wish, you may watch the English language remake afterwards as well but this is weak compared to the original Japanese film.....
    07.07.2007 - 16:14
    Basso
    Account deleted
    Written by Ernis on 07.07.2007 at 15:38

Try the film "Kairo"(The Pulse)....it's a Japanese film of 2001....it's really grand and rather spooky to watch in dark room.....if you wish, you may watch the English language remake afterwards as well but this is weak compared to the original Japanese film.....

I have recently become intressted in Asian horror, thank you for the reccommendation!
    If you havent already seen it I can highly recommend A Tale of Two Sisters, psychological horror from Korea. Very intressting.
    07.07.2007 - 16:55
    Ernis
    狼獾
    Written by [user id=5394] on 07.07.2007 at 16:14

I have recently become intressted in Asian horror, thank you for the reccommendation!
    If you havent already seen it I can highly recommend A Tale of Two Sisters, psychological horror from Korea. Very intressting.

"Kairo" is indeed a very good film...by the way...I saw it on Youtube....you can watch the whole film there....
    I've heard about the Two Sisters....however, I haven't seen it yet....but if I find it, I'll see it....
    07.07.2007 - 21:45
    Herzebeth
    Written by [user id=5394] on 07.07.2007 at 16:14

I've been meaning to check A Tale Of Two Sisters since...forever...but I'll go to Blockbuster right now and rent it.

so you're into Asian horror? have you seen Shutter? I HIGHLY recommend it, it's really one of the best Asian horror films I've ever seen since whatever...spooky as hell
    ----
    07.07.2007 - 22:14
    Basso
    Account deleted
    Written by Herzebeth on 07.07.2007 at 21:45

I've been meaning to check A Tale Of Two Sisters since...forever...but I'll go to Blockbuster right now and rent it.

so you're into Asian horror? have you seen Shutter? I HIGHLY recommend it, it's really one of the best Asian horror films I've ever seen since whatever...spooky as hell

I did rather recently gain a rather big intresst in asian cinema in general. After watching Dead or Alive and Ichi The Killer from Takashi miike I was blown away (both awesome, violent fucked up, Yakuza movies). I also watched Takashi Miike's Odishon which aslo was very very good. So since then I have been checking around. I will sure as hell check out Shutter! Thanks
    08.07.2007 - 06:44
    Herzebeth
    What about Werewolves

Today I was digging my old pile of DVD's and found a true classic, "An American Werewolf In London", I find this movie truly amazing, it has the edgy tone of classic Horror with an Evil Dead memento...I remember watching this one along with "The Howling" but I decided to buy the "American Werewolf" because is way more interesting, the plot is just chilling and the bottom line was that "The Howling" was just too idiotic for my taste, the transformations weren't as cool as in "American..." and damn how I hate to see shadows instead of actual menacing blood thirsty werewolves hahaha

Try "An American Werewolf in London" if you haven't already, it's both horrific and entertaining, love it.
    ----
    09.07.2007 - 03:04
    Mockingbird622
    Account deleted
    the original dawn of the dead is so amazing i have like fuckin 3 diffrent versions... i heard there gonna remake the evil dead which is wierd because evil dead too for all intents and purposes is a remake in itself which raises the question are they gonna remake one or 2 and if its 2 would that make it a remake of a remake?Hostel is probably one of the best newer horror movies ive seen i saw that movie so stoned... scared the hell outta me. anyone that hasent seen peter jacksons dead alive cannont call themselves a horror fan its simply a must...
    09.07.2007 - 16:49
    Basso
    Account deleted
    Written by [user id=6172] on 09.07.2007 at 03:04

the original dawn of the dead is so amazing i have like fuckin 3 diffrent versions... i heard there gonna remake the evil dead which is wierd because evil dead too for all intents and purposes is a remake in itself which raises the question are they gonna remake one or 2 and if its 2 would that make it a remake of a remake?Hostel is probably one of the best newer horror movies ive seen i saw that movie so stoned... scared the hell outta me. anyone that hasent seen peter jacksons dead alive cannont call themselves a horror fan its simply a must...

Well considering the fact that Sam Rami the original creator of Evil Dead, is also going to make the remake, I have some hope atleast ^^
    But if it turns out there will be no Bruce Campbell, I will go nazi-mode. Bruce Campbell is king.
    10.07.2007 - 16:07
    Narterath
    Hmm...how is The Exorcist missing from your lists? I have seen it 5-6 times so far and it still disturbs me, causing me trouble sleeping. For me, it's the scariest movie of all time, period.
    As other films go:
    The Thing
    Alien
    The Shining
    Shutter. Man, this was an amazing film, I was so impressed when I saw it. Clearly the best film of Asian horror cinema.
    Seven (though, not much on the horror side)
    Braindead
    The Silence Of The Lambs (of course, a classic film)
    I will agree with The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, it has an amazing atmosphere all around the film.
    The Call Of Cthulhu (2005 I think) is a very good black and white, silent film, a tribute to the oldies, based on the work of H.P. Lovecraft. I urge you to see it.
    Oh, and Lucio Fulci's Zombie (Basso's avatar) is fucking great. The 'splinter in the eye' thingy made me love it.

As far as A Tale Of Two Sisters goes, am I the only one that wasn't THAT impressed by it? Maybe I watched it at a bad time and need to watch it again, but I found it somewhat boring. It was one of those films who were in desperate need for a plot twist to make them more interesting.
    10.07.2007 - 16:23
    Basso
    Account deleted
    I saw The Exorcist when I was 11 or something, and I never got scared, fact is I never got scared from that movie... I will however agree that its a great movie.

A Tale of Two Sisters has a heavy focus on the psychological aspect, and since I have a rather big intresst in that area, I couldnt help but to really like it. I do realize this movie may not be for all though.
    10.07.2007 - 19:04
    Herzebeth
    Written by [user id=5394] on 09.07.2007 at 16:49

Well considering the fact that Sam Rami the original creator of Evil Dead, is also going to make the remake, I have some hope atleast ^^
    But if it turns out there will be no Bruce Campbell, I will go nazi-mode. Bruce Campbell is king.

WHAAAAAAAAAAA!

Are you saying there will be a remake of the original Evil Dead? DONE BY RAIMI HIMSELF? Oh my fucking god

is this true? any place were I could read it or something?
    ----
    10.07.2007 - 20:34
    Mockingbird622
    Account deleted
    Written by [user id=5394] on 09.07.2007 at 16:49

yeah dude for sure if theres no bruce cambell im gonna shoot somebody!!!i hope its a remake of dead by dawn becuase i never get tired of bruce cambell sawing his own hand off...classic
    10.07.2007 - 20:43
    Herzebeth
    Come on, where can I confirm this rumor of an Evil Dead Remake???

HELP!
    ----
    10.07.2007 - 21:34
    OneWithMisery
    Written by Herzebeth on 10.07.2007 at 20:43

HELP!

Don't know if this will help, but... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434020/
    So..I guess it's kinda official, ha?
    ----
    Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'till it goes CLICK!
    10.07.2007 - 21:48
    Basso
    Account deleted
    Written by OneWithMisery on 10.07.2007 at 21:34

Written by Herzebeth on 10.07.2007 at 20:43

HELP!

Don't know if this will help, but... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434020/
    So..I guess it's kinda official, ha?

Yes its says "announced" and to be released 2008. So its more or less final =)

@ Mockingbird: I hope so too, that particular scene happens to be one of my alltime fav scenes ever. WHOS LAUGHING NOW?!? HAHAHAH *Blood sprays onto face*
    Fact is no need to hope for it, it says that its a remake on Evil Dead 2 *dies of joy*
    11.07.2007 - 01:59
    Cassandra
    Account deleted
    i <3 suspiria. has to be my favorite right now. unique plot (which so many horror movies lack) and AMAZING cinematography. whoever hasnt seen it... see it.
    11.07.2007 - 03:57
    Putrid_Cadaver
    Account deleted
    Deep Red is a classic, as is Maniac.
    11.07.2007 - 18:05
    Basso
    Account deleted
    Written by [user id=24842] on 11.07.2007 at 01:59

i <3 suspiria. has to be my favorite right now. unique plot (which so many horror movies lack) and AMAZING cinematography. whoever hasnt seen it... see it.

I also love it, infact I made sure to pick up the original DVD yesterday ^^
    11.07.2007 - 18:51
    Herzebeth
    Haven't yet bought Suspiria, Can't find it anywhere damn, Horror culture sucks in Mexico...well we have some cool Horror Movies and all

anybody has seen MExican Horror?
    ----
    11.07.2007 - 18:53
    Basso
    Account deleted
    Written by Herzebeth on 11.07.2007 at 18:51

Haven't yet bought Suspiria, Can't find it anywhere damn, Horror culture sucks in Mexico...well we have some cool Horror Movies and all

anybody has seen MExican Horror?

Nope not a single movie...