Metal Storm logo
The Best Horror Movies Of All Time

Original post

Posted by Herzebeth, 30.06.2007 - 03:25
Well I've been buying DVD's lately, I'm proud to have such classics as Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dead Alive...but I was wondering which movies are in your top 5 or top 10...any Horror movie dudes, it doesn't matter if it's zombies, ghosts, monsters or slahers

My top 5 goes more o less like this:

#5: Cabin Fever (I just can't get enough of watching stupid kids spreading a flesh eating disease, yeah it's way in the line of Evil Dead but it's just too cool and the girls have great boobs)

#4: Day Of The Dead (Romero's third installment in his trilogy, a great piece actually, the last scene is just sickening)

#3: Dawn Of The Dead (Damn it...it's just...amazing)

#2: Dead Alive: (Peter Jackson did this? god damn it he was a gory motherfucker...the goriest film I've ever seen)

#1: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (The master of Slasher films)

There are other good films I love, some of them are still on my "to buy list" and on my "please stop renting them or you'll end up begging for money in the streeths"

-Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer (Damn, this is chilling)
-Suspiria (Masterpiece)
-The Night Of The Living Dead
-Evil Dead
-Curtains

some others...which ones are your favorites
11.07.2007 - 19:08
Herzebeth
Written by [user id=5394] on 11.07.2007 at 18:53

Written by Herzebeth on 11.07.2007 at 18:51

Haven't yet bought Suspiria, Can't find it anywhere damn, Horror culture sucks in Mexico...well we have some cool Horror Movies and all

anybody has seen MExican Horror?

Nope not a single movie...

The Chances For You to find these movies are one in a million as they're really fucking underground and shit...but if you by any chance have the opportunity, check the following movies... (EVERYONE AS A AMTTER OF FACT)

Mexican Horror:

Alucarda

Hasta El Viento Tiene Miedo

Más Negro Que La Noche

KM 31

really creepy shit!!!!
----
11.07.2007 - 19:25
Basso
Account deleted
Will check them out, thanks
11.07.2007 - 19:53
Cassandra
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5394] on 11.07.2007 at 18:05

Written by [user id=24842] on 11.07.2007 at 01:59

i <3 suspiria. has to be my favorite right now. unique plot (which so many horror movies lack) and AMAZING cinematography. whoever hasnt seen it... see it.

I also love it, infact I made sure to pick up the original DVD yesterday ^^

i have a 3 disc 25th anniversary edition, its got a making of disc, and collectors edition post cards! oh yeah!
11.07.2007 - 20:25
Ernis
狼獾
I remember once there was some horror film about satanic cult where Sonya Smith starred....unfortunately no evidence nor record of it exist in IMDb...I'm awfully confused...I'm sure...our television showed it years ago....
12.07.2007 - 10:17
Oracle
Orcinus
I think The movie Slugs. its really disgusting and heaps of gore. Apparently the movie 'Orca, The Killer Whale' is a horror film too. has anyone on here seen it? i wanna know if its a horror? i think its about a killer whale that eats people. the film was made in the 70s i think.
12.07.2007 - 21:54
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
Nobody seems to have mentioned Clive Barker's 'Hellraiser' which is one of my favourite horror films of all time. Not only is it a great story, but it has a killer soundtrack which really adds to the dark atmosphere. They really don't make films like this anymore!

On a more humourous note, Dr. Giggles is always a good horror/comedy delivering ridiculously stupid quotes during the death scenes.
----
This is an outrage...
12.07.2007 - 22:30
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Tony Harrison on 12.07.2007 at 21:54

Nobody seems to have mentioned Clive Barker's 'Hellraiser' which is one of my favourite horror films of all time. Not only is it a great story, but it has a killer soundtrack which really adds to the dark atmosphere. They really don't make films like this anymore!

On a more humourous note, Dr. Giggles is always a good horror/comedy delivering ridiculously stupid quotes during the death scenes.

I saw Hellraiser 4 or something... horrible movie have been avoiding everything with a name even similar to hellraiser since then...
12.07.2007 - 22:49
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I am looking for some really good horror films that stay away from the gore and sex aspect for the most part. More along the lines of psychological and suspense. Think of things like The Silence of the Lambs, Alien, or The Changeling. Films that sort of get inside your head, but are horror based.

Also, if anyone is looking for non-horror films that will still really disturb you I would suggest:
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Thirteen
  • Mulholland Dr.
  • Lost Highway
  • Harsh Times

Just as a starter, those are some good ones.
  • ----
    (space for rent)
    13.07.2007 - 00:21
    Basso
    Account deleted
    I did just now finish watching Shutter, and what can I say? It was horrible... this is exactly the kind of horror I dislike. PeekaBOO horror is worthless. If your going to make a Girl from Beyond the Grave movie atleast try to not use the "sudden face in front of camera trick" to scare people all of the time, its the oldest trick in the book and its boring. Creds for being a Thai movie though, its an intressting language.

@ Hemlock : Both Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr. Are David Lynch movies, and both really awesome. I can highly recommend Blue Velvet and especially Eraserhead from him. If you havent already seen Eraserhead please do, its the most eerie film I have ever watched, and the movie that has frightened me the most, not because of the gore, not because of the "monsters" (there arent any here.. atleast not unhuman ones..), what frightens me so much is the soundtrack, the actors and the disturbing setting, and that CHILD (THIS CHILD!!!! THIS HORRIBLE CHILD!)... Please watch this movie... It scarred me for life. Eraserhead is my worst nightmare put into a cinematic experiance I will never forget.

About A Clockwork Orange, its one of my alltime fav films, I really dont find it very disturbing to be honest, I see it more as a dark comedy (ofcourse I dont disregard the facts that it is a brutal and raw movie) and I have seen it to many times for my own good, I have also read the book which is equally incredible. Fact is I am sitting in my Clockwork Orange t-shirt right now ^^. Alex is also one of the characthers I love the most when it comes to both litterature and movie leads.
    13.07.2007 - 01:03
    Dane Train
    Beers & Kilts
    Elite
    Oh yeah, Basso, I own Blue Velvet and Eraserhead. I am a huge Lynch fan. My buddy managed to get all of Twin Peaks, but three episodes on DVD. But, yeah, Eraserhead is nuts!

Maybe watching all of that Lovely, Lovely Ultra Violence, has made you numb to to film? Haha. And the book is amazing too.
    ----
    (space for rent)
    13.07.2007 - 01:22
    Herzebeth
    I did like Shutter...jumpy horror and old-school tricks are nice to watch, I wouldn't buy it for sure, but it's a good sunday rental
    ----
    15.07.2007 - 14:59
    Tony Harrison
    I have no arms..
    Written by [user id=5394] on 12.07.2007 at 22:30

I saw Hellraiser 4 or something... horrible movie have been avoiding everything with a name even similar to hellraiser since then...

The first one is the best and the sequel continues straight on from the end of it. However, after that they go dramatically down hill and you're wise to avoid them as they are unimaginative pieces of crap.
    ----
    This is an outrage...
    15.07.2007 - 22:20
    Dane Train
    Beers & Kilts
    Elite
    Ok, any Zombie movie fans here? I am one. I don't care how bad it is, I will watch it. Some are actually really well made films, like 28 Days Later, and some are just crap. But here are my favorites, in order.
    10. Land of the Dead
    9. Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave (dude zombies attack a rave!!!!!!!!)
    8. Dead Alive (a.k.a. Braindead )
    7. Dawn of the Dead (1979)
    6. Army of Darkness
    5. Evil Dead II.
    4. Shaun of the Dead.
    3. 28 Days Later
    2. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    1. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    ----
    (space for rent)
    16.07.2007 - 00:45
    Basso
    Account deleted
    I love Zombie movies, here are some of my top Zombie flicks:

Evil Dead trilogy
    Braindead
    Zombie Holocaust (Zombies + Cannibals in the same movie, EXPLOITATION HISTORY!)
    Dawn of the Dead (1979)
    Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    Shaun of the dead (Hillarious movie, a great watch!)
    Fulci's Zombie (This one has ZOMBIE vs SHARK BATTLE HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE IT??)

I was rather dissapointed at Land of The Dead, It was rather dull imo

On a slight sidenot I want to add that Everyone that loved Bad Taste MUST check out "Evil Aliens" Its fucking hillarious and has cought a similar experiance as Bad Taste. They even threw in some crazy Alien sex. A must see for splatter / comedy fans. I really really enjoyed it!
    16.07.2007 - 03:52
    Dane Train
    Beers & Kilts
    Elite
    Basso, I was disappointed with Land of the Dead for the most part. But it did have some nice things about it. Such is (man I love making lists, can't you tell?)

• Dead Reckoning - an anti-zombie, zombie-killing, over loaded with weaponry tank! I want...no no...need one!
  • The simple man sharpshooter best friend character - dude, he was just funny and you really get to like him.
  • Pillsbury - OK, sure he had like two lines, but he was bad ass in a lovable way.
  • Dead Reckoning - again...so much fun.
  • The city! Hey, lets build a city to keep everything out! Oh crap, we're trapped inside our perfectly deafened city with no way out!
  • ----
    (space for rent)
    16.07.2007 - 13:15
    Basso
    Account deleted
    Written by Dane Train on 16.07.2007 at 03:52

Basso, I was disappointed with Land of the Dead for the most part. But it did have some nice things about it. Such is (man I love making lists, can't you tell?)

• Dead Reckoning - an anti-zombie, zombie-killing, over loaded with weaponry tank! I want...no no...need one!
  • The simple man sharpshooter best friend character - dude, he was just funny and you really get to like him.
  • Pillsbury - OK, sure he had like two lines, but he was bad ass in a lovable way.
  • Dead Reckoning - again...so much fun.
  • The city! Hey, lets build a city to keep everything out! Oh crap, we're trapped inside our perfectly deafened city with no way out!

• Yeah I agree with most of what you said, especially the conscept of a City to keep everything out was really intressting. But for me it was like the Hostel movies, they had an intressting plot infront of them, but instead of using it to its full potential they screwed up. Oh and I despise Eli Roths movies, just wanted to say that.

BTW: Anyone here that have seen Grindhouse? I really liked it, both movies are great (But Planet Terror is most definitly the better), but the Fake trailers alone makes it worth seeing, they are incredible!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31846 <-- On this page you can watch 3 fan-made fake trailers, all of them are really good, my fav is definitly HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN. Now thats a movie I want to see.
    16.07.2007 - 18:35
    Herzebeth
    Dude they didn't import Grindhouse to Mexico..I'll have to wait for the DVD

I do like ONE Eli Roth' movie...that's Cabin Fever, and it has a very interesting plot, with decent actors and a flesh eating disease...COOL!

Hostal does fucking suck...
    ----
    17.07.2007 - 00:31
    John Barleycorn
    Minimalist
    "Grindhouse" was fantastic. I loved equally both "Planet Terror" and "Death Proof". But the latter had nothing to do with horror of course. As for "Planet Terror", it is equal to the best zombie flicks out there IMO (and to the best comedies also).
    ""Werewolf women of the SS", starring Nicholas Cage as Fu Manchu." - can it get any better than that?

Today I watched "Burial Ground" which was an Italian zombie movie. It was utter crap actually but still some details were fun, for example a child who was played by a 30 year old midget who wanted to have sex with his mother and in the end bit her nipple off , or the fact that zombies were probably more intelligent than humans in that movie.
    17.07.2007 - 01:04
    Basso
    Account deleted
    Written by John Barleycorn on 17.07.2007 at 00:31

"Grindhouse" was fantastic. I loved equally both "Planet Terror" and "Death Proof". But the latter had nothing to do with horror of course. As for "Planet Terror", it is equal to the best zombie flicks out there IMO (and to the best comedies also).
    ""Werewolf women of the SS", starring Nicholas Cage as Fu Manchu." - can it get any better than that?

I totally agree, Planet Terror is awesome, it really caught the feeling of old zombie movies, and added some nice twists to it

About the Fake trailers... I cant describe my love for them:

From Werewolf Women of the SS:

Fu Manchu: THIS IS MY MECCA... WAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Got to love that one XD

Or this(From thanksgiving trailer xD):

This thanksgiving.... there will be NO LEFTOVERS
    ----
    White meat, Dark meat.... ALL WILL BE CARVED

@ Herzebeth: Im sorry but I really have to disagree with you here, I despise Cabin Fever the most of his works. It really is the epitome of all I dislike with modern horror.
    17.07.2007 - 18:21
    Herzebeth
    I want to see Grindhouse so badly
    ----
    17.07.2007 - 19:48
    Sonic Titan
    Account deleted
    Written by [user id=5394] on 10.07.2007 at 21:48

Written by OneWithMisery on 10.07.2007 at 21:34

Written by Herzebeth on 10.07.2007 at 20:43

Come on, where can I confirm this rumor of an Evil Dead Remake???

HELP!

its funnier when he put his hand under the trash can and put a bunch of books on it and the top book was a farewell to arms... i lmao everytime i see that and not alota people catch it
    Don't know if this will help, but... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434020/
    So..I guess it's kinda official, ha?

Yes its says "announced" and to be released 2008. So its more or less final =)

@ Mockingbird: I hope so too, that particular scene happens to be one of my alltime fav scenes ever. WHOS LAUGHING NOW?!? HAHAHAH *Blood sprays onto face*
    Fact is no need to hope for it, it says that its a remake on Evil Dead 2 *dies of joy*
    25.09.2007 - 22:09
    Tony Harrison
    I have no arms..
    Written by Tony Harrison on 12.07.2007 at 21:54

Great news, this gem has finally been re-released on DVD! Just as well as 2nd hand copies were selling on ebay for an absolute fortune.
    ----
    This is an outrage...
    26.09.2007 - 17:58
    Herzebeth
    Basso, I would like to inform you that I FINALLY got my hands on a copy of Lucio Fulci's Zombie....

I also bought "Let Sleeping Corpses Lie" one of the most clever zombie films out there, a little slow at the beginning but it pays off in the end lol (the breast cutting scene is fucking fucked up)

I still die to see Grindhouse
    ----
    26.09.2007 - 20:30
    Ellrohir
    Heaven Knight
    i have saw The Descent recently - about six "adventure" women lost in the unexplored cave system and than hunted down by some kind of humanoid monsters from the dark...

well nothing very special, still "B-Class" horror movie, but at least i has really cool atmosphere and some really nice bloody gore scenes...i really enjoyed it
    ----
    My rest seems now calm and deep
    Finally I got my dead man sleep

27.09.2007 - 18:10
    Herzebeth
    Written by Ellrohir on 26.09.2007 at 20:30

i have saw The Descent recently - about six "adventure" women lost in the unexplored cave system and than hunted down by some kind of humanoid monsters from the dark...

well nothing very special, still "B-Class" horror movie, but at least i has really cool atmosphere and some really nice bloody gore scenes...i really enjoyed it

It's a fun movie you're right...but you know what I hate? that like asian girl who first kills one of those mutants or monsters to defend herself and you say oh cool she killed one because she was in danger....but all of a sudden you see the same girl now hunting for those creatures, hell girl it's not a sport and this is not tomb rider...bitch!!
    ----
    27.09.2007 - 21:21
    Ellrohir
    Heaven Knight
    but this was even announced for this film (at least in our Czech promo) - "the danger and the serious possibility of death awakes the basic natural instincts in those women - the instincts of primitive hunters"

i had much more problems with the ending - as usually in those films, the script writers didnt handle it...
    ----

01.10.2007 - 18:42
    Herzebeth
    Written by Ellrohir on 27.09.2007 at 21:21

i had much more problems with the ending - as usually in those films, the script writers didnt handle it...

How? the writers didn't do the ending? didn't quite understand man...and yeah the ending sucks.
    ----
    01.10.2007 - 23:20
    Ellrohir
    Heaven Knight
    and who is responsible for how the film ends if not script writers ? (or do i misuse this english word "writer" somehow : - i mean those people who make the script for the film...)
    ----

02.10.2007 - 16:48
    Woutjinho
    Account deleted
    I think Cabin Fever sucks

#1 The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original Tobe Hooper's uncut version ofcourse)
    #2 Friday The 13th (part 1, 2, 3, 4, 6)
    #3 Halloween (part 1, 2)
    #4 Cannibal Holocaust (absolutely horrible: cannabalism and raping)
    #5 Braindead (alternative title Dead Or Alive. very funny but still kinda horror)
    #6 A Nightmare On Elm Street (part 1, 2)
    #7 Evil Dead (Bruce Campbell is the best. part 1 is the best horror, but part 3 is so funny)
    #8 Saw (its pretty good. not only stupid kids being killed but some intelligence is involved)
    #9 Hellraiser (what can I say: Pinhead is the man. part 1, 2, 3, 6, 7)
    #10 Child's Play and Bride Of Chucky (dolls can be dangerous)
    02.10.2007 - 20:53
    Ellrohir
    Heaven Knight
    Written by [user id=26136] on 02.10.2007 at 16:48

#5 Braindead (alternative title Dead Or Alive. very funny but still kinda horror)

i saw some "gore trailers" on youtube but still dont understand how this comedy can be even called "horror" does hundreds of liters of synthetic blood really the horror? than the "Man from Acapulco" (or at least this one scene in the Aztec pyramid) will be the second best horror
    ----