Metal Storm logo
Favourite Metal Subgenre

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 17.05.2006 - 23:37
So what's your favourite metal subgenre? Mine is progressive metal; love it's creativity and with lengthy songs it gives the artists enough time to produce a lot of diversity within a track. Most of the time the musicians are highly skilled as well as being able to combine emotion into their music. Additionally, I find that this genre of music can be very experimental at times.

Btw, if your favourite genre is not on the poll it's because I didn't have enough space to put it on. So click other and say what your favourite genre is.

Poll

What is yoir favourite metal subgenre?

Death Metal
Black Metal
Thrash Metal
Power Metal
Other (please specify)
Progressive Metal
Folk/Viking Metal
Heavy Metal
Gothic Metal

Total votes: 535
09.06.2006 - 11:59
DLMokoma
Account deleted
My fav. metal vocals are clean thrash vocals, like Hetfield, Arya and Mustaine. But actually I prefer almost all kind of vocals, well except Dani Filths.
09.06.2006 - 12:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i personally enjoy power and thrash but if i were to choose,i'd choose power,because it's got the feeling of being "true " metal(imo) also,i like the fantasy themes.
15.06.2006 - 00:08
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
My favourite genre is Gothic Metal... If i had to choose my second favourite that should be Black metal or doom
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
16.06.2006 - 00:56
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I voted for Gothic, since was the first metal subgenre I felt really atracted to, and I still do; but currently I'm more in the nu-metal & rock scene
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
16.06.2006 - 03:52
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
Black Metal, with no doubt about it... It's just perfect! I love the atmosphere, the songs can be obscure, melancholic, evil, it's fantastic! I can't live without Black Metal...
16.06.2006 - 04:26
Logo666
Account deleted
Only BLACK Forever ...
16.06.2006 - 16:50
lazarus
the genre I like the most is the Progressive thanks to bands like Green Carnation, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree and Opeth, all the experimentation inside their works and the concepts developing the masterpieces
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
16.06.2006 - 17:00
Ibanez07
Account deleted
Unquestioably, and easily the Gothenburg sound- I love melody and flowing song progression.
17.06.2006 - 19:37
Man Or Ash
Account deleted
Thrash
17.06.2006 - 23:15
CrematorY
Account deleted
I really like Power metal and i stopped listening to black metal which was my favorite before, so i voted to Power metal... Power metal all the way!!!!!!!!!!
17.06.2006 - 23:58
marinBG
Melodic death metal! That is the music for me... + pop or course
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
18.06.2006 - 00:09
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Ah, that's hard. I love Black, Death, Thrash, Grindcore, Gore, Funeral Doom, Doom, Folk, Viking and also some Power and Prog. And then I'm not even talking about crossovers between those, like Black/Death, Death/Doom etc.

Man, I think I'll go with Black, as I liked that first.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.06.2006 - 07:29
Metalguaska
I really like Power Metal, i believe that this genre requires high skills to be played and that's like some kind of filter, to make that power metal bands, always have good songs, and very epic lyrics... i really like that combination
----
Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea
22.06.2006 - 21:50
Nima
Account deleted
I'd have to go with other. I favor the experemental and wierd Avantgarde. I like it when its mixed with black elements. I could also have gone for progressive or doom metal
23.06.2006 - 02:13
LethargyMan
I could have very easliy said Death Metal, but I actually really love Avantgarde metal for its great complexity.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
23.06.2006 - 03:44
Dam3k
heavy metal is dead as i see.... T_T
----

23.06.2006 - 04:22
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Oh man this is hard. Im really into Death and Thrash metal, with the others being really close. Think i'll vote for Death Metal, if i look back with my music colection it consists of more DM bands, although i have almost as much TM albums there more of the same bands.

A vote for Death metal here
----

Hellcunt Smurf
23.06.2006 - 12:54
hydralamia
Account deleted
I went for Gothic Metal (surprised i was only one of five) because that's what i listen to more than the others
23.06.2006 - 22:50
X-FrEaK
i voted death metal...hum i could have chosen gothic metal...ok is very difficult but...arch enemy,bloodbath,dark tranquillity,hypocrisy... etc there are a lot of good bands
----
24.06.2006 - 03:44
HellRaiz0r
Account deleted
Hail Black Metal!!!
24.06.2006 - 21:05
Abortion
Account deleted
Black is my heart.
25.06.2006 - 21:34
TimmyPix
To be honest all these genres overwhelm me a bit - in my iTunes everyhting's just "Metal", but I appreciate that you gotta have some differentiation...although sometimes it gets a bit silly (Progressive Symphonic Melodic Gothic Doom Metal anyone?

I put heavy as my favourite, but I also like Melodeath, and some Metalcore.
----
And remember kids, don't play with matches - flamethrowers are much more fun!
07.07.2006 - 05:49
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Power. Folk in second. And open mind for other genres.
The one that is nort there: Avantgarde (Jesu, Pelican...)
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
07.07.2006 - 05:54
Niflhel
Account deleted
Voted black, but i think you should have put Black\Viking instead of Folk\Viking
Vikingmetal is in most cases bm with viking lyrics and maybe a tiny bit of folky sound.
07.07.2006 - 19:25
DarkMistress
Power metal
----
Wait in fire
07.07.2006 - 20:08
Ruines
Account deleted
Folk/Viking, even tought it's a lame category as Niflhel said.

But i like black, death, hardcore, metalcore, grind, gore-grind, folk, ambiant, dark ambiant, trash,, etc. etc.
07.07.2006 - 22:38
tulkas
el parcero
I couldnt vote bescuse I like to listen to different genres, and to choose a favorite one is just to hard. I listen to each one depending on my mood, or the ocasion. I mean, form the list I like black, power, thrash, goth and progressive, so.... no way for me to choose
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
07.07.2006 - 23:44
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Power Metal!!! Draw thy sword and slay the beast!!! Hahahaha yes My first metal bands were Sinergy and Iced Earth. Though they're not at all standard power metal they set me on that path and I'm eternally grateful

I also love heavy metal, folk (more and more every day!), doom, prog, symphonic, black metal and some avant varieties. I'll pretty much take metal in ANY form except death, thrash, or experimental goth. I'm sure those genres have their merit but they just don't quite fit in my ear.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
08.07.2006 - 00:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 07.07.2006 at 23:44

Power Metal!!! Draw thy sword and slay the beast!!! Hahahaha yes My first metal bands were Sinergy and Iced Earth. Though they're not at all standard power metal they set me on that path and I'm eternally grateful

I also love heavy metal, folk (more and more every day!), doom, prog, symphonic, black metal and some avant varieties. I'll pretty much take metal in ANY form except death, thrash, or experimental goth. I'm sure those genres have their merit but they just don't quite fit in my ear.

What is expermental goth maybe some bands like examples
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.07.2006 - 00:22
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
@Kariasakis7: Maybe "experimental" is the wrong word. Some goth bands I adore for their intricacies and oddities but others just get a bit too weird for me. I'll find some good examples for you.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs