Metal Storm logo
Favourite Metal Subgenre

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 17.05.2006 - 23:37
So what's your favourite metal subgenre? Mine is progressive metal; love it's creativity and with lengthy songs it gives the artists enough time to produce a lot of diversity within a track. Most of the time the musicians are highly skilled as well as being able to combine emotion into their music. Additionally, I find that this genre of music can be very experimental at times.

Btw, if your favourite genre is not on the poll it's because I didn't have enough space to put it on. So click other and say what your favourite genre is.

Poll

What is yoir favourite metal subgenre?

Death Metal
Black Metal
Thrash Metal
Power Metal
Other (please specify)
Progressive Metal
Folk/Viking Metal
Heavy Metal
Gothic Metal

Total votes: 535
21.10.2006 - 13:02
Revenant
Account deleted
Written by Dam3k on 08.10.2006 at 19:08

Written by [user id=5431] on 08.10.2006 at 18:38

Written by Dam3k on 27.08.2006 at 12:42

gothic metal is a stupid tag... lol

how else would you define Tristania, Draconian and Theeatre of Tragedy?

for sure something relationated with metal but not with gothic...

The 'gothic' refers to the adjective refering to dark, majestic and impossing things, not goth rock
21.10.2006 - 15:11
Dam3k
Written by [user id=5431] on 21.10.2006 at 13:02

The 'gothic' refers to the adjective refering to dark, majestic and impossing things, not goth rock

That's not the original concept of gothic
----

21.10.2006 - 23:45
marillionfan
Account deleted
My favourite metal subgenre is progressive metal ( also a subgenre of prog-rock, right?); my favourite band of this subgenre is Threshold. other examples would be Enchant, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Evergrey, Symphony X, Ark, Riverside, Vanden Plas, Sieges Even etc.
i also enjoy 80s heavy metal, especially Iron Maiden.
I enjoy all genres mentioned if they provide something interesting, not uselessly aggressive and not repetitive.
22.10.2006 - 12:48
Revenant
Account deleted
Written by Dam3k on 21.10.2006 at 15:11

But goth rock has fuck all to do with a tribe of barbarians either yet no one says that cant be called gothic.
22.10.2006 - 19:27
Dam3k
Written by [user id=5431] on 22.10.2006 at 12:48

Written by Dam3k on 21.10.2006 at 15:11

But goth rock has fuck all to do with a tribe of barbarians either yet no one says that cant be called gothic.
----

22.10.2006 - 19:31
Dam3k
@Revenant: U can call that bands whatever... but gothic has nothing to do with the style that bands have... no more... It's hard for a band becoming gothic metal, so that I only use that tag for bands who really have the concept of gothic developed in a metal way, like Type O Negative or Crematory... but for god shake don't say that lacuna coil, tristania, sirenia, within temptation, etc etc are gothic bands cuz they have nothing to do with it
----

23.10.2006 - 17:59
Revenant
Account deleted
Written by Dam3k on 22.10.2006 at 19:31

@Revenant: U can call that bands whatever... but gothic has nothing to do with the style that bands have... no more... It's hard for a band becoming gothic metal, so that I only use that tag for bands who really have the concept of gothic developed in a metal way, like Type O Negative or Crematory... but for god shake don't say that lacuna coil, tristania, sirenia, within temptation, etc etc are gothic bands cuz they have nothing to do with it

The four main meanings:
1 A barbarian tribe eg visigoths, ostrogoths
2 A derogatory term for the architecture of pre-renaisance religious buildings, being dark and opressive eg a medieval cathedral
3 Other art forms that invoke similar feelings and ideas to gothic architecture eg gothic novels
4 A 1980s subculture that involves dark clothing and post-punk music eg souxsie and the banshees

'goth metal' like Type O Negative is influenced by number 4
'gothic metal' like The Sins of thy Beloved is influenced by 3, using gregorian chants, violins, organs, classical style vocals (reminiscent of old european catholocism), dark opressive atmospheres etc
Within Temptation is just symphonic metal, no relation to either.
23.10.2006 - 18:21
Dam3k
Written by [user id=5431] on 23.10.2006 at 17:59

The four main meanings:
2 A derogatory term for the architecture of pre-renaisance religious buildings, being dark and opressive eg a medieval cathedral
3 Other art forms that invoke similar feelings and ideas to gothic architecture eg gothic novels
4 A 1980s subculture that involves dark clothing and post-punk music eg souxsie and the banshees

'gothic metal' like The Sins of thy Beloved is influenced by 3, using gregorian chants, violins, organs, classical style vocals (reminiscent of old european catholocism), dark opressive atmospheres etc

lol... well... I think you should check the old gothic bands out to understand what I'm saying. The music evoke things, thoughts, feelings... and the original gothic concept was taken from number 4, if there is a completly different idea with the same name it's not my problem, just call it another way but don't mix it with the FIRST concept that taken the idea of gothic.

Sometimes it's hard to difference post-punk from gothic or ebm etc, and wtf has lacuna coil to do with all that?nothing, so that if the term was already in use for that things, why the hell did they come and said they are a gothic band?! :S

all that bands could be tagged somewhat like dark symphonic metal or whatever...or maybe they could just invent a new genre for their own... but I'm tired of people triying to defend symphonic metal bands with a dark atmosphere as gothic...

Be cool, be like tool, "art metal" nice
----

23.10.2006 - 18:40
Warman
Erotic Stains
It really is an impossible question to answer. But as it seems now I think I'll have to choose Black Metal of all its forms. It really is a genre you can do a lot with. It's dark, evil and often very beautiful at the same time. I feel that it is a style you have to work hard with to really get into. Also, Black Metal growl are probably my favourite style of vocals.
----
25.10.2006 - 02:30
Revenant
Account deleted
Written by Dam3k on 23.10.2006 at 18:21

The four main meanings:

lol... well... I think you should check the old gothic bands out to understand what I'm saying. The music evoke things, thoughts, feelings... and the original gothic concept was taken from number 4, if there is a completly different idea with the same name it's not my problem, just call it another way but don't mix it with the FIRST concept that taken the idea of gothic.

Sometimes it's hard to difference post-punk from gothic or ebm etc, and wtf has lacuna coil to do with all that?nothing, so that if the term was already in use for that things, why the hell did they come and said they are a gothic band?! :S

all that bands could be tagged somewhat like dark symphonic metal or whatever...or maybe they could just invent a new genre for their own... but I'm tired of people triying to defend symphonic metal bands with a dark atmosphere as gothic...

How can the original meaning of gothic come from the 1980s, 20 years ago? Siouxsie and the Banshees and Sisters of Mercy (who I think are great) are not old comapred to Lord Byron or Shelley, and they are not old comapred to gothic architecture. A dark dramatic classical piece on organs could be called 'gothic' as an adjective but it has nothing to do with post punk and ebm. Lacuna Coil get called gothic because Cristina Scabbia looks like a typical 'goth' and the music is mroe dark and melancholy than most K Rock bands, but just to call them nu metal seems to miss the point.

It's jsut like black metal is still black, though it has nothing to do with 'black music' and death metal is still death metal though it is nothing like death rock.
25.10.2006 - 16:43
Dam3k
Written by [user id=5431] on 25.10.2006 at 02:30

Written by Dam3k on 23.10.2006 at 18:21

The four main meanings:

How can the original meaning of gothic come from the 1980s, 20 years ago? Siouxsie and the Banshees and Sisters of Mercy (who I think are great) are not old comapred to Lord Byron or Shelley, and they are not old comapred to gothic architecture. A dark dramatic classical piece on organs could be called 'gothic' as an adjective but it has nothing to do with post punk and ebm. Lacuna Coil get called gothic because Cristina Scabbia looks like a typical 'goth' and the music is mroe dark and melancholy than most K Rock bands, but just to call them nu metal seems to miss the point.

It's jsut like black metal is still black, though it has nothing to do with 'black music' and death metal is still death metal though it is nothing like death rock.

Ok fair enough

I didn't call them nu metal, anyway dude, do whatever, this is senseless... If I must support a bunch of symphonic female fronted bands who claim that they are gothic I'll do, I don't care... although I think different.

Actually there would be still true gothic bands that will be able to transfer that dark essence along with the gothic ideas...

But I advert u all those bands are a trend so they don't last for long... everybody now is "gothic" and has "dark" images in their myspace profiles and don't even know what Bauhaus was... so I don't mind, I'm happy listening gothic music, if they are happy listening other music and thinking they are gothic that's ok, I respect and I'm not gonna do anything against them lol =)

Happy listening , I'm done with u
----

01.11.2006 - 22:24
Mariela.
Account deleted
It's very hard, 'cause i don't listen to just one subgenre, I listen to many...And many bands cross over at some point..but i guess i'll have to vote for blackmetal because most of the bands are in that genre..
04.11.2006 - 10:37
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Melodic Death Metal is definitely my fav sub genre. ( Anything from Gothenburg as well )
22.03.2007 - 14:33
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
In another poll I chose black metal, this time I've chosen death metal
I like these styles the most.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
22.03.2007 - 15:39
arwestromen
For the moment my fav subgenre is melo death/Gothenburg but it changes from time to time I used to be a huge PM fan
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
27.03.2007 - 22:59
Infurnace
I voted Thrash Metal, but the subgenres I also like are Thrash, Death, Black, Power and Folk Metal. It was a hard decision, but most of the bands I listen to are Thrash Metal bands. I don't have an actual favorite subgenre.
01.04.2007 - 14:42
|Angela|
Account deleted
I voted for Black Metal although I listen to a lot of Gothic Metal and Folk/Viking Metal as well. I listen to even Thrash, Doom and Power metal quite a bit.
09.04.2007 - 05:51
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I am a black and death metalhead and it's a ridiculously hard decision as to which is the better sub-genre. My vote, though, is going to go to death metal because it is the first 'extreme' genre I really liked and most of my favorite bands are death metal. Black metal just doesn't have as much to offer as death metal for me. There certainly are a lot of great black metal bands, but death metal is a more creative genre and it has spawned more bands that I enjoy.
09.04.2007 - 11:43
APOHAKC
The Bard
Black Metal. Cause it wasn't only metal subgenre once... now it is less than that...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
14.04.2007 - 01:12
A Kat Person
Account deleted
An easy choice for me - folk/viking metal. Why? In my profile, I think at least half the bands I listed belong to that category... I can't say exactly why I love this genre so much; I enjoy many bands from every single one of those subgenres listed, but folk/viking is the one I most consistently fall for, i.e. it is a very rare occurrence for me to hear a folk/viking band I dislike!
22.04.2007 - 07:51
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Well im guessing you guys can tell by my name which style I like most lol, why? it's fast, aggresive, catchy, most of the bands i listen to make me and let's not forget the huge influence Thrash had on styles such as Black and Death Metal. Close seconds would be Power Metal and Death Metal.
22.04.2007 - 08:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Well, for me I would have to say Folk Metal, its so unique and....wierd.

Unless you count Hair/Glam Metal, but I find most people just classify that under rock.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.04.2007 - 11:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Doc G. on 22.04.2007 at 08:06

Unless you count Hair/Glam Metal, but I find most people just classify that under rock.

Its rock man, ist souynds like rock because AC/DC, GnR, Deep Purple istr rock even how heavy it is
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.04.2007 - 14:13
duyhung
Account deleted
At first Power metal is my only favourite and Rhapsody Cds are in my Cd player all the time But now,it seems like I've become more 'Gothic' ,so I vote for Gothic metal
22.04.2007 - 19:52
atte
Account deleted
Even thou I listen pretty much black and trash also, I voted death metal. So many great bands and much of great music in that genre.
23.04.2007 - 01:19
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
For me Folk/Viking Metal.

For great bands like Amon Amarth, Moonsorrow, Finntroll, .... . And also for their different music, bringing a little out beaten tracks.
12.05.2007 - 04:45
darklords son
Account deleted
for me it just has to be black metal
12.05.2007 - 04:48
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
Progressive Metal. Long, very 'out there,' and complex music. This was a hard one, since I love Death Metal just as much.
12.05.2007 - 07:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Bad English on 22.04.2007 at 11:57

Written by Doc G. on 22.04.2007 at 08:06

Its rock man, ist souynds like rock because AC/DC, GnR, Deep Purple istr rock even how heavy it is

You cant tell me Motley Crue is just rock, with songs like 'Kickstart My Heart' or 'Shout At The Devil'. All pretty metal. Same with Newer bands like Crashdiet or Hardcore Superstar, they both are very heavy and are living proff there should be a glam metal selection in this poll.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.05.2007 - 13:31
FOOCK Nam
To me, everything related to Epic (in genre) are my favorite, and I really appreciate high epic combined/mixed with extreme metal.