Metal Storm logo
Favourite Metal Subgenre

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 17.05.2006 - 23:37
So what's your favourite metal subgenre? Mine is progressive metal; love it's creativity and with lengthy songs it gives the artists enough time to produce a lot of diversity within a track. Most of the time the musicians are highly skilled as well as being able to combine emotion into their music. Additionally, I find that this genre of music can be very experimental at times.

Btw, if your favourite genre is not on the poll it's because I didn't have enough space to put it on. So click other and say what your favourite genre is.

Poll

What is yoir favourite metal subgenre?

Death Metal
Black Metal
Thrash Metal
Power Metal
Other (please specify)
Progressive Metal
Folk/Viking Metal
Heavy Metal
Gothic Metal

Total votes: 535
12.05.2007 - 18:18
__Az__
My favourite sub-genre is changing to and from black and death atm... Both because of new albums released in each genre...

Marduk - Room 5:12
Vital Remains - Icons Of Evil
12.05.2007 - 20:59
Shadowmaker
Account deleted
i go for Power... why ? because heavy and power are only metal sub-genres i like
14.05.2007 - 18:47
magick
Account deleted
I overall have to say black metal. I just love the atmosphere and the distinct "evil" sound of the music. I also love the variety whether it's lsitening to the raw minmalistic esque BM, to the avant garde-esque BM. There is just so much to find in the genre and it's something you really become involved in and a part of.
15.05.2007 - 06:47
Asat0r
I went with Viking/Folk. I really like all of them a lot, but at the moment I'm listening to a lot of Viking and Folk metal like Amon Amarth, and Ensiferum.
16.05.2007 - 04:05
Megad3th
Sick Minded
Folk/Viking OFCOURSE it's amazing man and has the most greatest bands such as Vintersorg , Amon Amarth , Ensiferum , Enslaved , Enhierjer , Falkenbach...
21.05.2007 - 17:37
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i don´t know if it is really a self-standing sub genere or if i should put it under "power metal", but my most favourite are epic fantasy stories by Rhapsody
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.05.2007 - 18:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 21.05.2007 at 17:37

i don´t know if it is really a self-standing sub genere or if i should put it under "power metal", but my most favourite are epic fantasy stories by Rhapsody

IMO Salamandra CZ band ha sgreat epic stories uswell
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.05.2007 - 19:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
nice...our early myths and legends :-)

and well - they are damn good but what i'm missing a bit are those fantastic really masive choirs in refrains by Rhapsody...
----

21.05.2007 - 20:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 21.05.2007 at 19:51

nice...our early myths and legends :-)

and well - they are damn good but what i'm missing a bit are those fantastic really masive choirs in refrains by Rhapsody...

Great Motavian Elegies its awsoem song realy awsome I saw them in OCKO Madhouse when it was in friday and man its great songs specely one song where was lyric ...'Its moravian Gracelands, its Moravian Gracelands...'' IMO Under Black Wings, man ist so epic and ancient
----

apos;'
[image]
21.05.2007 - 20:11
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i have listened a couple of their songs and so far i like "The end" from second album Skarremar most...but all were pretty good :-)
----

24.05.2007 - 11:38
Hamird
Lieutenant
folk and viking metal is my favourite genre. some bands like moonsorrow, windir, amon amarth ...
17.06.2007 - 15:44
Infurnace
Last time I voted Thrash Metal, but now i'm more into Black Metal. But hey, it changes all the time.
21.06.2007 - 19:03
In Chaos
my favorite genre changes from time to time between Thrash metal and Power metal, but currently I like thrash metal best with bands like annihilator, slayer and trivium.
21.06.2007 - 20:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by In Chaos on 21.06.2007 at 19:03

my favorite genre changes from time to time between Thrash metal and Power metal, but currently I like thrash metal best with bands like annihilator, slayer and trivium.

Somehow it sounds wierd because if pll like thrash metal thay usualy dont like power metal
----

apos;'
[image]
21.06.2007 - 23:58
Pinusar
Account deleted
Hm, I don't know, I like both power and thrash metal.

I voted thrash, but actually I would not like to pick a favourite style and it might change easily. I also usally like bands from atmospheric black, tech death and doom and some psychedelic music, and some folk.
22.06.2007 - 00:22
In Chaos
Written by Bad English on 21.06.2007 at 20:40

Somehow it sounds wierd because if pll like thrash metal thay usualy dont like power metal

well, i like almost all kinds of metal.
22.06.2007 - 06:32
UpTheIrons666
I love power metal the most for a couple of reasons. I like the clean vocals, with the high pitch and the emphasis on guitars. Sometimes the doom and gloom of other genres gets a little depressing and to me, there is nothing like some Helloween or Blind Guardian to put me in a good mood.
26.06.2007 - 09:35
Torture Killer
Account deleted
Thrash metal, I love the speed and intensity of it, and I love to play it.
26.06.2007 - 12:47
Abattoir
Staff
I Prefer death metal, because it's powerful, striking and i like vocals - a lot of growling...
26.06.2007 - 12:47
Abattoir
Staff
I Prefer death metal, because it's powerful, striking and i like vocals - a lot of growling...
27.06.2007 - 21:47
Unpoet
Account deleted
I would chose DOOM METAL, but as we can see there isn't that option on the poll, so I voted Other. I also like the other types, except Power Metal and Heavy Metal.
27.06.2007 - 22:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=16244] on 27.06.2007 at 21:47

I would chose DOOM METAL, but as we can see there isn't that option on the poll, so I voted Other. I also like the other types, except Power Metal and Heavy Metal.

DOOM poll are here
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=5012
----

apos;'
[image]
26.07.2007 - 18:25
-Xul-
Death Metal, with its subgenre like melodic death, progressive death, atmospheric death, brutal death, death/grind....
----
08.08.2007 - 21:36
In Chaos

now I have changed my mind, Gohtenburg metal is best
09.08.2007 - 23:46
Infurnace
It's pretty hard, because it's always switching between Black Metal and Death Metal for me. I can't choose between those two, so I guess I'll pick both. I'm really into a lot of metal subgenre's though. I'm a big Power Metal fan, i'm really into Thrash Metal, I like a lot of Progressive Metal bands. Folk Metal is also one of my favorites.
10.08.2007 - 00:01
selken
Irreligious
I voted thrash because I like a lot the aggression it holds.
But I also like power, black, gothemburg, death, speed, folk, heavy, gothic, progressive, symphonic and nu in that specific order, read my profile, I'm really into those genres but thrash is what I love the most
I'm also trying to get into doom
----
10.08.2007 - 00:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by selken on 10.08.2007 at 00:01

But I also like power, black, gothemburg, death, speed, folk, heavy, gothic, progressive, symphonic and nu in that specific order, read my profile, I'm really into those genres but thrash is what I love the most

Just like me thats why I vote for other becase its hard to choose, IMO I and Aronax are into all metal genres hehe
----

apos;'
[image]
10.08.2007 - 01:07
selken
Irreligious
Written by Bad English on 10.08.2007 at 00:25

Written by selken on 10.08.2007 at 00:01

Just like me thats why I vote for other becase its hard to choose, IMO I and Aronax are into all metal genres hehe

nice, metal is too great to ignore a genre its soo good that both you think like me
----
28.08.2007 - 16:53
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Death Metal. I think it's great, the speed (mostly the drummers), the technique that the guitarrists have, those riffs...
28.08.2007 - 17:35
Skurut
Doom metal. Then black and some progressive.