Metal Storm logo
Opeth: Old vs New

Original post

Posted by , 13.01.2008 - 13:31
Blackwater Park was a turning point for Opeth. Their collaboration with Steve Wilson (Porcupine Tree) yielded a more polished, refined sound - and carried them from obscurity into the mainstream. Yet with the success of Blackwater Park, Opeth drifted away from the raw, edgy sound that characterized their early work and went so far as to produce a non-metal album (Damnation). So is Opeth heading in the right direction under the influence of Steve Wilson? Or is their old stuff superior, and they're just losing ground now?

My vote goes out to Opeth AFTER Blackwater Park. They're sophisticated, focused and ready to break new musical ground. Their original stuff was nothing more than a warm-up for the brilliant music that is now emerging. Am I wrong? Cast your vote and let me know!

Poll

When did Opeth produce better albums?

Before Blackwater Park
After Blackwater Park
Who cares, Opeth is overrated!
I don't know, can I vote anyway?

Total votes: 130
24.03.2008 - 23:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by DevilishSong on 24.03.2008 at 21:53

Written by Guest on 16.01.2008 at 23:00

old by far orchid and mornigrise are the best prog albums ever

This is really True.....
it is too hard to find better album than these in Prog metal

especially "The Twilight Is my Robe" , "Nectar" and "Advent" are amazing.

My favorite Opeth-song is Nectar... a fucking masterpiece.
So, that means that I havre to agree with both of you =)
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.03.2008 - 02:50
Evil Chip
All their career is good. But they have crafted their style and became with every record they put better.
25.03.2008 - 05:33
totaliteraliter
I chose "overrated" since it seems closest to "Opeth are crap." I'm surprised at all the praise the song "Nectar" is receiving here. That song was my introduction to Opeth (back on the Firestarter compilation... kind of out of place on that CD a few tracks after "Necrolust") and though it's pleasant and mellow enough it always seemed like a prime example of the compositionally incoherent cut-and-paste metal that turns up in prog/metal hybrid music. It's representative of a problem that turns up a lot in this band's output as far as I've heard. I can see why Blackwater Park gets praise since it seems the most straightforward of their albums (although again I've avoided exploring their discography to great depth), it makes for alright "easy listening" material I guess.
05.04.2008 - 18:41
Replicant
Going to have to say pre-Blackwater Park, even though Deliverance is my favourite album by Opeth. The gutteral screams on Orchid/Morningrise are incredible and Still Life is for me their overall strongest album with no weak tracks (unless you ignore the final track on Deliverance ). The earliest albums did feel a bit cut+paste at times though, riffwise.
05.04.2008 - 20:15
eximius
Still Life is a great album so I've chosen before Black Water Park
05.04.2008 - 23:56
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Mmmm the last worthy Opeth album was Orchid so I guess I'm voting old.
06.04.2008 - 01:05
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Written by Guest on 05.04.2008 at 23:56

Mmmm the last worthy Opeth album was Orchid so I guess I'm voting old.

Wow, the last worthy album at all? Now that's what I call hard to please.

For those that are interested - knowing that Opeth are my favourite band these days - although my favourite song is Bleak, I cannot decide whether Deliverance, My Arms - Your Hearse, or Morningrise is my favourite album. It's just very difficult for me - but although other songs are incredibly close, and no doubt depending on my mood some are equal to it, Bleak is still my favourite song. For point of interest, songs that regularly come close to toppling Bleak's pedestal in my mind are Deliverance, Face Of Melinda and When. Oh I forgot, also Credence.

Naturally I voted for before Blackwater Park.
----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
11.04.2008 - 22:29
-Soulreaper-
I dont think one time frame is better than another for Opeth. They are an all around great band who has put out greatly intense albums throughout the years.
12.04.2008 - 13:35
Nazgal
Account deleted
All of their cd's have been good, if you ask me. Most of them are pretty easy to get into. I don't think I can choose between their old stuff, and their new stuff. I like both very much. Still I'm wandering what "Watershed" will be like.
12.04.2008 - 21:39
Metal_Militia
//I voted before blackwater park because i prefer Morningrise over every other Opeth album. I just think that all their old stuff was so awesome that they kind of used up all of their best material and haven't been able to top it since//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

03.05.2008 - 18:00
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I like opeth. i dont like years
04.05.2008 - 11:34
The Somberlain
I think that is before blackwater park. The band was better I just think that was the classical opeth period. The past drummer was better to the band.
31.08.2008 - 11:26
Elio
Red Nightmare
I vote before Blackwater Park too. Don't misunderstand me, I find that Deliverance and the following albums are also more than good but my favourites are still Orchid and Still Life so...
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
31.08.2008 - 12:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 31.08.2008 at 12:29

How is this even a thread? I can understand obvious threads like "old vs. new In Flames" but Opeth is so consistent...

Yeah, and their progression is very gradual. It's not like they all of a sudden changed their sound drastically after Blackwater Park. This poll could f.e. also have said "before Still Life", "after Still Life"
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.08.2008 - 13:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 31.08.2008 at 12:54

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.08.2008 at 12:43

How is this even a thread? I can understand obvious threads like "old vs. new In Flames" but Opeth is so consistent...

Yeah, and their progression is very gradual. It's not like they all of a sudden changed their sound drastically after Blackwater Park. This poll could f.e. also have said "before Still Life", "after Still Life"

Right.

And for me the only difference between old and new stuff (if "Still Life" and "Blackwater Park" mark the change) is production quality. I like a fuller sound, so I admit to listening mostly to the new stuff, but the compositions are amazing throughout their whole career and very much Opeth in style.

True the mostt noticable difference is the production which starts to become fuller and clearer. I don't know who did the production on everything before Still Life, but for Still Life I think it was Swanö and after that Steve Wilson.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.08.2008 - 21:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.08.2008 at 12:43

I agree... their change wasn't that big on Blackwater Park. BUT I do think that there's a mark...
Right after Ghost Reveries IMO... that album doesn't sound like anything before it. ANYTHING.

The new album has also a similar sound to it.. I can't describe it though. It just feels diferent [and bad for my tastes tbh]

I guess they were just too experimental on GR...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.09.2008 - 07:04
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.08.2008 at 13:01

True the mostt noticable difference is the production which starts to become fuller and clearer. I don't know who did the production on everything before Still Life, but for Still Life I think it was Swanö and after that Steve Wilson.

Steve Wilson's involvement was basically the point of this poll. Also, the choice of before vs. after Blackwater Park was a natural division because any choice that included Blackwater Park would obviously win.

When I made this poll I was having a lot of trouble getting into Opeth's early work and wanted to find out how many people preferred their more recent stuff. I have since developed a greater appreciation for their older albums. Admittedly, I would now have a much tougher time making a decision.
10.09.2008 - 07:17
Harmonic
Account deleted

Opeth's consistency does make it a challenge to respond to the poll. But how does this invalidate the thread? Does a poll have to be obvious to be worthwhile? Or has the simple act of thinking gone out of fashion on account of requiring too much effort?

10.09.2008 - 15:31
Anathemani@c
I think that Opeth were simply hilarious while releasing Damnation and Deliverance albums.. The last two albums are not that good as the older ones for me... Especially ghost reveries... Last opeth album was better than I expected it to be...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
10.09.2008 - 15:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Anathemani@c on 10.09.2008 at 15:31

I think that Opeth were simply hilarious while releasing Damnation and Deliverance albums.. The last two albums are not that good as the older ones for me... Especially ghost reveries... Last opeth album was better than I expected it to be...

I agree man, but new Opeth is not so bad like other bands after style changing, its less changes how Sentenced, Amorpfis, Paradise Lost, emo band Lacrimas Perfondum and others
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.09.2008 - 16:47
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I'd say before Blackwater park.. My favourite albums are Still Life and Blackwater, but Watershed is damn close to perfection.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
10.09.2008 - 17:00
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I've only known them for about a month and I pusposefully chose to start with their latest work and advance backwards through their history. Funny enough to this day I've exactly come to Blackwater Park. So technically I'm not even allowed to post here. I apologize in advance
But I read this thread carefully and listened to every song anyone of you mentioned as being good from the albums I don't yet know. From what I've gathered so far their new sound is somewhat more distinct. If you haven't known them before and start with Watershed you have to love it. I bought this album one morning and didn't leave my room for two days listening to it. It's just pure perfection. Maybe not musically (not from the infamous technical aspect), but listening to it put me in this dreaming state of enjoyment that only few bands' music can provoke. Then advancing backwards I was bit disappointed at first, rapidly going through Damnation and Deliverance until Blackwater Park hit me. And there I'm stuck for now, loving what I already know and enjoying it so much that I don't want to ruin it by putting more and more of their albums on top. Therefore I voted after for now. But I won't be finnished with this band for a long time and things may change for me.
----
23.02.2009 - 17:45
EzeKyeL
I remember when I first heard opeth it was back in 1996 one of my friend buyed Morningrise and I 've listen Black Rose Immortal, it was really intense, maybe because I had to much THC in blood but all my perception of music turn in a very different way so opeth change my life. album after album it's totally a perfect evolution every new album are my best so now with watershed.... I say with Blackwater park, I voted After
----
KeeP ThE MeTaL FaTe AliVe!!!
03.03.2009 - 08:29
ms68
I think watershed is the best work of opeth. this album is more progressive than other albums. progressive drum caused somebodies think it's jazzy drum but being unpredictable is a trait of progressive.
moreover using keyboard in all music resulted more melodic album
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
03.03.2009 - 21:38
Kโœžulu
Seeker of Truth
I have voted for new Opeth as think their have matured since that time and their post-Blackwater Park albums have better songs. And Watershed may easily be their best album.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
04.03.2009 - 03:09
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I definitely like older Opeth. The new stuff is great but it just lacks so much vision and potential. The older albums, you can just feel all the fresh ideas and it sounding a bit purer and undefined. The newer albums seem like Opeth have found their niche in music, they have found their sound and are gonna keep it that way. Old albums held a bit more wonder and just better musicianship in my opinion.... did that make sense?
----
Coldgrits
04.03.2009 - 03:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by -DC-002- on 04.03.2009 at 03:09

I definitely like older Opeth. The new stuff is great but it just lacks so much vision and potential. The older albums, you can just feel all the fresh ideas and it sounding a bit purer and undefined. The newer albums seem like Opeth have found their niche in music, they have found their sound and are gonna keep it that way. Old albums held a bit more wonder and just better musicianship in my opinion.... did that make sense?

Definitely. Explains why Watershed was so freaking bland.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.03.2009 - 03:32
Warman
Erotic Stains
Although "Blackwater Park" probably is their best and one of my all time favourites my vote has to go to their old days. "Orchid" to "Blackwater Park" was definetly their best period. Every single Opeth album from that period are highlights in my album collection. Sure, after "Blackwater Park" we got "Damnation" and "Watershed" but also the weaker Opeth releases: "Deliverance" and "Ghost Reveries". Great albums, but "Opeth great"? Don't think so.
----
04.03.2009 - 06:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Warman on 04.03.2009 at 03:32

Although "Blackwater Park" probably is their best and one of my all time favourites my vote has to go to their old days. "Orchid" to "Blackwater Park" was definetly their best period. Every single Opeth album from that period are highlights in my album collection. Sure, after "Blackwater Park" we got "Damnation" and "Watershed" but also the weaker Opeth releases: "Deliverance" and "Ghost Reveries". Great albums, but "Opeth great"? Don't think so.

You mixed up Deliverance and Damnation in the wrong order.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
05.03.2009 - 01:16
ForeverDarkWoods
I don't like Opeth. They sound pretentious, boring, uninspired and dull. And then on top of that they always seem like they're trying too hard. Ok, so they want to appear to be the next big thing to happen to metal and act all artsy and progressive and shit. Problem is they ain't got the proper inspiration to pull it off. It just comes off as a wannabe strange variant of bland Gothenburg melodeath that's been subjected to some kind of failed experiment to make it even more cringeworthy. It was maybe a nice idea, but it's a shame they couldn't pull it off. I also hate Åkerfeldt. Can't stand his vocals whatsoever, especially not his clean vocals. I've really never understood the appeal of Opeth.

I've found that this applies to different degrees no matter what era of opeth we're talking about. The only album which shows a glimmer of quality IMO is Orchid, and even then it's not enough to make it something I'd like to listen to. As such I don't care much about what era of Opeth sounds in what way, since it's crap anyway. "Who cares, Opeth is overrated!" seemed like a good choice to vote for.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America