Metal Storm logo
Best Grunge Band

Original post

Posted by Hamird, 14.01.2008 - 13:11
Personally i like Kurt Cobain and i was a fan of him for 7 years... so i vote for him and his band.

Poll

which one do you think that is the best grunge band in 90's?

Alice In Chains
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Other ...

Total votes: 154
18.03.2008 - 08:02
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Daniel on 18.03.2008 at 05:32

One of the only reasons Nirvana's music is as popular as it is, Is because Kurt blew his brains out.

Either that, or Courtney Love blew his brains out for him. She became quite popular after Kurt's demise - at least for a short time.

As for the poll, I despise grunge. I have no idea what people hear in it, but my brother is a big fan of AIC so I'll cast a vote for him.
18.03.2008 - 15:12
Hangar XVIII
Other: Mudhoney. I think that's how it's spelled.
Closely followed by Soundgarden.

I'm originally from Seattle, so I feel I know a bit about grunge, rain and coffee.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
19.03.2008 - 00:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How the f*ck I didnt saw poll
Hard to tell because i more love Alice in Chains how other also Temple of Dog butbasicly AiC are myfav
i like nirvana too but thay are overated and also i never was fan of soundgarden, but Pearl Jam i like new albums too
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.03.2008 - 02:30
Daniel
Written by Guest on 18.03.2008 at 08:02

Written by Daniel on 18.03.2008 at 05:32

One of the only reasons Nirvana's music is as popular as it is, Is because Kurt blew his brains out.

Either that, or Courtney Love blew his brains out for him. She became quite popular after Kurt's demise - at least for a short time.

As for the poll, I despise grunge. I have no idea what people hear in it, but my brother is a big fan of AIC so I'll cast a vote for him.

Excellent point.
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
24.03.2008 - 20:22
Replicant
Nirvana. Screaming Trees also worth a mention.
25.03.2008 - 15:07
MetalFäng
Account deleted
AIC is the heavier of them all
08.07.2008 - 16:48
Infurnace
It's either Alice In Chains or Pearl Jam for me. I used to listen to Nirvana, but it's pretty overrated IMO. Alice In Chains is good, because they have metal influences, and Pearl Jam is good because I've always liked them, and I don't know why. Well, I guess I'll go with Pearl Jam, because some people in school think that I look like the young Eddie Vedder.
15.07.2008 - 12:12
Thrash_bt
DEfinetly Nirvana
22.07.2008 - 23:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I just found band Mother Love Bone and saw 2 vids ''Stardog Champion'' and ''Holy Rollel'' IMO quate good grunge band
----

apos;'
[image]
23.07.2008 - 01:10
Gordon Freeman
Alice and Chains and Soundgarden for me.

I'm also partial to Stone Temple Pilots.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
30.07.2008 - 09:01
Asat0r
My vote went to Alice in Chains. I really don't even classify them as Grunge. Yes they came out in the same era, and from the same place. But if Alice came out today, they would just be considered alternative metal, or hard rock.
30.07.2008 - 12:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Asat0r on 30.07.2008 at 09:01

My vote went to Alice in Chains. I really don't even classify them as Grunge. Yes they came out in the same era, and from the same place. But if Alice came out today, they would just be considered alternative metal, or hard rock.

today people even wanna start say that Iron maiden are power metal , so dont mix styles mate, Alice in Chains are GRUNGE
----

apos;'
[image]
02.08.2008 - 21:15
HELL-ME
Account deleted
Yeah!!!
Watever alice in chains are grunge or not... i think it's not a big deal.. i voted for nirvana... Nirvana are for sure grunge, and for sure they are the best in style... And there will never be another kurt kobain til the doom's day... Nirvana influenced the all the musical-scene in the whole world...
03.08.2008 - 15:08
buki of steel
Crystal Ann
Pearl jam because of Ten album... one of my best albums in general...
19.09.2008 - 18:31
Number Juan
I like AIC the best. I think they were the heaviest and the most depressive. They had an uncanny ability to write songs that were so wonderfully depressive (if that makes any sense).
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
20.09.2008 - 22:58
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 30.07.2008 at 12:43

if Alice came out today, they would just be considered alternative metal, or hard rock.

Yes, and alternative metal is a general blanket term for sub-genres of metal...and one sub-genre inside of alternative metal is grunge...
30.09.2008 - 15:37
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Just hearing "Sitting on an angry chair" in that typical Alice In Chains vibe makes me vote for them.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.10.2008 - 12:09
Zero
Account deleted
I voted for 'Other.' I'd have to say early Stone Temple Pilots. I still listen to STP to this day, although I don't really know what's going on in the lyrics, but they are great band nonetheless.
05.10.2008 - 18:33
Branzig
I went with my own choice...

Mudhoney. Love em, and pivotal to all that was grunge in my opinion.

Screaming Trees was a close second for me though, had to really think it through. Almost came down to a coin toss
----
In Grind We Crust
06.10.2008 - 02:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Branzig on 05.10.2008 at 18:33

I went with my own choice...

Mudhoney. Love em, and pivotal to all that was grunge in my opinion.

Yeah man, Mudhoney and Green River are really overlooked.
06.10.2008 - 04:58
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I wonder how such a homoerotic band like Alice In Chains is winning. Pearl Jam would also fit perfectly as the soundtrack for a gay orgy. Nirvana aren't the most heterosexual band I had heard in my whole life, but I used to like them before so that's what I voted for them. And well, my knowledge for grunge is reduced to this shit, I guess.
06.10.2008 - 18:59
Branzig
Written by Guest on 06.10.2008 at 04:58

I wonder how such a homoerotic band like Alice In Chains is winning. Pearl Jam would also fit perfectly as the soundtrack for a gay orgy. Nirvana aren't the most heterosexual band I had heard in my whole life, but I used to like them before so that's what I voted for them. And well, my knowledge for grunge is reduced to this shit, I guess.

Homoerotic? How do you figure that one?

I used to listen to Alice in Chains a lot, and I think Jerry Cantrell is one halluva guitar player. And if you bring up the, "they started as a glam band" argument, I simply don't care. I focus on the music they put out for later in life. Not when they were teenagers who just picked up their instruments.

And as far as Pearl Jam goes, it may not be the cool thing to say, but I have seen them live 3 times, and they never disappoint. They always do multiple encores and have good people on their tours. Last summer when I saw them they played over 5 hours of material and did an entire encore with the Buzzcocks, where they covered some killer punk tunes together. It was an awesome show, and there wasn't anything "homoerotic" about it haha.
----
In Grind We Crust
15.10.2008 - 07:06
DevilBabi
obvious answer, Nirvana. Main stream.
Alternative stream, Alice in Chains.
Although all these bands were big and very very good. If yoru going to vote who's the best band for that era, i guess you would have to judge that on a whole range of things, including popularity across all genres. Which leaves only one choice, Nirvana.
05.02.2009 - 06:50
IronBlackZepp
Soundgarden, but all of these bands have their ups and downs. But Badmoterfinger and Superunknown (both by Soundgarden) own.
06.02.2009 - 03:36
Gigginova
Account deleted
I'm not big on Grunge, but Soundgarden were easily the best!!
06.02.2009 - 06:41
motorhead
Account deleted
This list needs more Mudhoney, Green River, Mad Season, and Temple of the Dog. But if I were to choose out of that list it'd be Alice in Chains.
06.03.2009 - 22:37
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I had to go with "other" for this pick. It is a little known band (not sure why!) that only release one album called Temple of the Dog. I mean this album had Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder on vocals...TOGETHER! I will admit I about crapped my pants when I first heard them sing together.

Hunger Strike video.
----
(space for rent)
06.03.2009 - 23:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
One of my friends/co-workers who used to hate grunge used to have a t-shirt that read:

Stone Temple of the Dog Jam

with some goofy logo on it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.03.2009 - 23:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 06.03.2009 at 22:37

I had to go with "other" for this pick. It is a little known band (not sure why!) that only release one album called Temple of the Dog. I mean this album had Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder on vocals...TOGETHER! I will admit I about crapped my pants when I first heard them sing together.

Hunger Strike video.

Little known? Here in europe that album sold like the proverbial hotcakes.
Btw, Vedder only sings on a couple of songs. Cornell is the main vocalist on it.

My two favourite tracks are Say Hello To Heaven and Call Me A Dog.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.03.2009 - 23:48
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.03.2009 at 23:37

Little known? Here in europe that album sold like the proverbial hotcakes.
Btw, Vedder only sings on a couple of songs. Cornell is the main vocalist on it.

It might be bigger in Europe than here. I've only met a handful of people who have heard of it, and they're all big music fans. And yes, I know that Vedder is only on three tracks while Cornell is the main vocalist.
----
(space for rent)