Metal Storm logo
Best Grunge Band

Original post

Posted by Hamird, 14.01.2008 - 13:11
Personally i like Kurt Cobain and i was a fan of him for 7 years... so i vote for him and his band.

Poll

which one do you think that is the best grunge band in 90's?

Alice In Chains
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Other ...

Total votes: 154
06.03.2009 - 23:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 06.03.2009 at 23:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.03.2009 at 23:37

Little known? Here in europe that album sold like the proverbial hotcakes.
Btw, Vedder only sings on a couple of songs. Cornell is the main vocalist on it.

It might be bigger in Europe than here. I've only met a handful of people who have heard of it, and they're all big music fans. And yes, I know that Vedder is only on three tracks while Cornell is the main vocalist.

Okay, most people here seem to think it the other way around with Cornell and Vedder. And tbh Cornell just sings Vedder straight out of the water on this album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.03.2009 - 00:58
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Actually, Dane, it was on the air all the freaking time out here in the mid-90's, around 94ish.

they might be less well known now, lost to the sands of time, but back then they were the "Grunge Supergroup"...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.03.2009 - 04:08
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 07.03.2009 at 00:58

Actually, Dane, it was on the air all the freaking time out here in the mid-90's, around 94ish.

they might be less well known now, lost to the sands of time, but back then they were the "Grunge Supergroup"...

Ah, I did not know that. I was never into grunge when it was popular. I was a born and breed Metalhead. I mean in kindergarten when we had to do show and tell for the letter "P" I brought a copy of Paranoid. I didn't get into grunge untill about a 7 or 8 years ago.
----
(space for rent)
07.03.2009 - 20:09
DayFly
I really don't like this poll. It's like giving only Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and Slayer as options in a poll for the greatest thrash metal band.
08.03.2009 - 05:35
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Its a hard choice between Soundgarden and Alice In Chains. I'll go with Alice, just because of the better overall mood.
----
Coldgrits
08.03.2009 - 14:48
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
I grew up listening to grunge. Hell, I'm only 20. My instinct says to stick to Nirvana but my pyscho side says Alice In Chains so its hard to decide between the two. I don't think any other bands compares to the two of them. They both have awesome lyrics. Why isn't Stone Temple Pilots on this? Aren't they grunge or just alternative?
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
19.07.2009 - 14:45
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Soundgarden

SuperUnknown is a classic
----
rekt
25.07.2009 - 14:25
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Has to be Nirvana, Bleach is an amazing first album with raw energy. Surprised no one has mentionned aussies Silverchair, they're first album is really good. Hole's first two albums are good too, Pretty on the Inside is just raw, simplistic and really representative of underground grunge, Live through This is an album entirely written by Kurt Cobain, although Courtney Love takes some of the credit, and is very remniscent of Nirvana. I also like the Foo Fighters first album and Bush's first, Sixteen Stone, which I also consider grunge. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains are all good bands, but to me know one matches the energy Cobain showed in his vocals, no matter how good singers Vedder and Cornell are.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
30.07.2009 - 00:09
Andresopeth
My favorite: Pearl Jam, because i love her music. In atmosphere and the way they did things, Alice In Chains, but Nirvana eventhough i think they're not the as talentous as Pearl Jam and his ideas were more desorganized they have something that makes them unique. So i voted them
04.08.2009 - 19:35
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Andresopeth on 30.07.2009 at 00:09

My favorite: Pearl Jam, because i love her music

her?
04.08.2009 - 21:43
Andresopeth
Written by Guest on 04.08.2009 at 19:35

Written by Andresopeth on 30.07.2009 at 00:09

My favorite: Pearl Jam, because i love her music

her?

Sorry man, it was supoussed to be "Their" but i guess i wrote it very fast and without care, thanks for cheking it anyway.
And, yes it is Pearl Jam, albums like Ten, Vs. and Yield are not found that often.
03.09.2009 - 21:46
Panterica
Soundgarden. Chris Cornell is such a great musician, he wrote most of their music and he's one of the best vocalists I've ever heard. My second pick is Pearl Jam, also for their great vocalist and for the cool music. Third place is Alice in Chains which also had a great vocalist (RIP) and kick ass riffs, but I don't like them much as the other two.
All the bands that are included in the options has great vocalists, I don't know why but all of them are at the top of my alltime favorite vocalists.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
06.10.2009 - 14:21
therest
Nirvana. At least to me, grunge is like monotheism .. there's Nirvana and false gods.
----
"It's because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everybody does everything." - Homer Simpson

"Then hold to the fading colors
The grayest of life is yet to come"
- Întunecatul
07.10.2009 - 06:58
Derwood
To have left Mother Love Bone off this poll is a massive insult to the fathers of grunge. I still would have voted for Alice in Chains, though. There is an appealing darkness to their music that I don't find in the other bands. "It Ain't Like That" remains one of my favourite songs in any genre.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
14.10.2009 - 06:02
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Since before i listen to metal pearl jam was one of my fav bands sooo its really simple.. eddie's voice and energy is awesome and its funny i think i predicted how this thread would go given a metal forum
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
16.10.2009 - 15:50
nic
Always loved Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. Though I never was a grunge fan before but you do start to appreciate it now.
02.11.2009 - 12:35
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
AIC and no one.
02.11.2009 - 17:59
JD
Account deleted
I grew up listening to Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Temple of the Dog
it's very hard to choose one..........
i think Nirvana and Alice In Chains
27.11.2009 - 19:35
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I think its Nirvana cause I dont have no way man! cause Ive just heard last album by Alice in Chains which is a nice album but didnt heard its important album song by Layne Staley which are the most important albums I think. I will try them for sure. Ive read a nice interview in Metal Hammer magzine about them. I recommend it to be read for fans.
27.11.2009 - 22:14
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 27.11.2009 at 19:35

I think its Nirvana cause I dont have no way man! cause Ive just heard last album by Alice in Chains which is a nice album but didnt heard its important album song by Layne Staley which are the most important albums I think. I will try them for sure. Ive read a nice interview in Metal Hammer magzine about them. I recommend it to be read for fans.

Well I've heard many of Grunge bands but still think Nirvana's the best band through all.. But if you want to hear something good, try some Pearl Jam albums. Specially their first two albums, 10 and Vs . They're so great.. Vs is one of my all time favorite Rock album..
27.11.2009 - 23:40
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Alice In Chains released a new album that why they have more votes than Nirvana I think. just a guess. but for sure with such a poll I will try them as well to know them better.
28.11.2009 - 17:35
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 27.11.2009 at 23:40

Alice In Chains released a new album that why they have more votes than Nirvana I think. just a guess. but for sure with such a poll I will try them as well to know them better.

Well, no. It's not the reason.. Because their (I guess) best album backs to 1992. Talking about the Dirt.. But the main reason Alice in Chains have got more votes rather than Pearl Jam and Nirvana is because they're less Grungy and more Heavy Metal.
28.11.2009 - 17:51
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 28.11.2009 at 17:35

Well, no. It's not the reason.. Because their (I guess) best album backs to 1992. Talking about the Dirt.. But the main reason Alice in Chains have got more votes rather than Pearl Jam and Nirvana is because they're less Grungy and more Heavy Metal.

but this last album kicks ass man I liked it, at least better than recently rock albums.
28.11.2009 - 18:25
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 28.11.2009 at 17:51

Written by Hamird on 28.11.2009 at 17:35

but this last album kicks ass man I liked it, at least better than recently rock albums.

I haven't listened to their latest album yet, but it's not strange that they sound better than other Rock bands, because they're Alice In Chains, lol..
Anyway Alice in Chains was one of the bands that Kurt Cobain himself named as one the bands which can achieve great successes in Grunge music..
14.12.2009 - 07:17
prk
Voted AIC because after 10 years theyre the band i still listen to the most of. as for the others, PJ has a decent number of songs i still enjoy, nirvana got old after a while. rip layne staley
----
well that's just like... your opinion, man...
14.12.2009 - 10:19
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I voted AIC...incredible band.

Would Soul Asylum be considered grunge? They deserve to at least be on the poll..
----
Brujerizmo!
30.01.2010 - 07:49
Edible Autopsy
A majority of the grunge bands I've heard are/were great. But Alice in Chains definately takes the top prize.
----
So let it be written
So let it be done
I've be sent here by the chosen one

So let it be written
So let it be done
To kill the first born pharoah son

I'm Creeping Death
04.11.2010 - 16:16
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Queens of the stone age (although i dont like them )
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
04.11.2010 - 21:43
JD
Account deleted
Written by Zombie on 04.11.2010 at 16:16

Queens of the stone age (although i dont like them )

Not Grunge they are similar to Kyuss.
07.11.2010 - 12:58
JD
Account deleted
I wanted to start a topic about "Recommend me Grunge bands i don't know" but since this topic is dead am gonna post is here, so any grunge bands i should know about exept "AiC, Sound, Nirvana, Pearl, Temlpe of the dog, Stone Temple, Mother love bone, Mad Season, Melvins, Gruntruck, My Sister's Machine, Paw, Mudhoney"