Metal Storm logo
Foreigner

18.01.2008 - 20:14
marillionfan
Account deleted
No topic about Foreigner yet; so I thought why not make one.
A very brief history: formed in 1976, as a sextet; Lou Gramm (vocals), Ian McDonald (guitars, saxes,keyboards - in King crimson once BTW), Mick Jones (guitars), Al Greenwood and drummer Dennis Elliott. They released their best work in this line-up that unfortunately lasted only till 1980 - 1977 -selftitled debut album, 1978 - Double vision and 1979 - Headgames. Sinnce then, they released several albums as a quartet, Mick Jones became the leader of the band and main composer. their 1981 album - IV - is also great.
Foreigner still exists today unfortunately Lou Gramm is not in the band anymore; he is one of the greatest singers in rock music, I can't imagine Foreigner without him. In fact Foreigner's least inspired album - 1991 - Unusual heat (although it's a good album) does not feature Gramm on vocals but it's funny and ironical that Jones found a Lou Gramm "clone" - one Johnny Edwards that sounds a lot like Gramm.

Foreigner may not be everybody's cup of tea, but for some (me included) they are a great band; so feel free to express opinions about them here.
19.01.2008 - 00:42
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Foreigner is a band that has a lot of songs I enjoy: Cold As Ice, Hot Blooded, Dirty White Boy, Urgent, Waiting For A Girl Like You, and I Want To Know What Love Is (the last three being very poppy 80s tunes which are still quite enjoyable)

I haven't actually sat down and listened to any one of their albums from beginning to end though...
19.01.2008 - 05:47
Number Juan
Written by [user id=2084] on 19.01.2008 at 00:42

Foreigner is a band that has a lot of songs I enjoy: Cold As Ice, Hot Blooded, Dirty White Boy, Urgent, Waiting For A Girl Like You, and I Want To Know What Love Is (the last three being very poppy 80s tunes which are still quite enjoyable)

I haven't actually sat down and listened to any one of their albums from beginning to end though...

Pretty much the same with me.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
19.01.2008 - 18:44
Ascalon
Quite good band, with some enjoyable and memorable 80's pop/rock hits ... like Say You Will or I Wanna Know What Love Is ... I like that kind of songs to relax and enjoy ... XD ...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
19.01.2008 - 20:48
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Ascalon on 19.01.2008 at 18:44

Quite good band, with some enjoyable and memorable 80's pop/rock hits ... like Say You Will or I Wanna Know What Love Is ... I like that kind of songs to relax and enjoy ... XD ...

Foreigner are not just about 80 hits, they did 3 amazing albums in the 70s - I mean amazing for the melodic hard rock genre.
19.01.2008 - 23:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like this band but only werry firts realises, I dont like those pop songs what all like, i prefere more rocking works of band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.04.2009 - 22:02
Crimson Lily
Account deleted
I personally like Foreigner a lot, though I only know a few songs so I judge from that. My sister likes the a lot as well, so definitely see me buying their albums in the near future, as of yet I sadly do not own any of them. The only songs I know are ''I Wanna Know What Love Is'', ''Waiting For A Girl Like You'' and ''Headgames'' and I like all of them very much, especially ''Headgames'' while my sis likes the other two. I can't really judge, since I have to listen to all of the albums first, but they do seem like a very good band. now the off-topic part: yaay, my 20th post!
04.11.2012 - 02:11
AndMetalForAll
kual21
They aren't just the 80's, in my opinion, their best albums are their first four. Although their style is representative of the 80's their 70's albums are really good, with some amazing performances (Lou Gramm is an amazing voice, one of the best singers of his generation).
----
greets,
kual21
10.11.2012 - 08:59
slinx
I saw Foreigner a few years ago when they had a new singer called Stacy? (A guy) and their back catalog sounded good even with him. Mick Jones? was the only original member left, unless you counted a few guys who had been around for ten years or so. (They've basically pulled a Journey and toured for over 20 years with similar singers without making new albums) Foreigner was a big stepping stone on my way from listening to classic rock on the oldies\rock stations before I made my way to heavier stuff. I love their pop stuff and really haven't listened to individual albums, except their first.

I only have their Complete Greatest Hits, but on that they have many hits that I still like to this day.
----
'You're short, you're fat, and even for a film critic you are ugly.' - The Critic