Metal Storm logo
What's the best music to study with?

Original post

Posted by iaberis, 27.01.2008 - 14:05
Every year when the exams start, I'm getting into a big dilemma... I don't know what to do when I study! Listen to music or not at all? Well sure it depends on the subject you're studying, but give me your opinions...

I wish I could have every possible genre in the options, but the options are limited, so I think that's the best way to put this poll...

Poll

When with a book in hands, what's the best music to listen to?

No music at all!
Melodic metal
Instrumental tracks of any genre
Extreme metal
Other - please define
Classical music...
Electronic / EBM / Ambient / Industrial
Rock or glam...
Hardcore / Metalcore

Total votes: 199
14.08.2008 - 20:10
Piro
I generally listen to very atmospheric metal (like Nazgul, Summoning, Burzum) when I study, though sometimes stuff of the doom genre comes in as well. Classical is also very nice for studying, though I still personally prefer some sort of metal.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
15.08.2008 - 11:52
Dark Blood
The Avenger
When I was at school I must've studied like only for 1 or 2 weeks lol, I usually go with instrumental game soundtracks like MGS or Silent Hill music. Or some good cheesy gothic or suomi metal. Worked nicely for me.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
15.08.2008 - 18:02
Jigoku Shoujo
Account deleted
I can't study with music. If I put music on while studying, I just keep listening to it and stop studying. So in the end I end up studying just a bit and listening to tonns of albums... That's good for me, but bad for my grades.
15.08.2008 - 18:11
Janne
Hugin
It absolutely makes no difference what type of music do you listen to during studying because the music that you hate most is still better than studying and you will concentrate on music....So I usually choose my favourite
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.08.2008 - 18:41
Jigoku Shoujo
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 15.08.2008 at 18:11

It absolutely makes no difference what type of music do you listen to during studying because the music that you hate most is still better than studying and you will concentrate on music....So I usually choose my favourite

Well, I'd rather study than listen to the music I hate and despise.
15.08.2008 - 18:48
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 15.08.2008 at 18:41

Written by Janne on 15.08.2008 at 18:11

Well, I'd rather study than listen to the music I hate and despise.

Sorry, I didn't say what I want. The 'music that you hate most' is wanted to be 'your music that you hate most' or i don't know maybe somebody has some music he/she hates, but I still like music which is the worst of mine. I thought about not so good metal, not rap or something like that.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.08.2008 - 18:52
MathC
Account deleted
I don't have to study. Ever.

But when I'm reading or stuff like that I usually play some depressive black metal, post-rock/post-metal or idm. Or rap.
17.08.2008 - 10:24
keli
When I'm studying for the exams, then I don't listen to music. This way I can concentrate better and it will take less time. Listening to music doesn't help at all.
----
i demand nothing, but i want it all
what privilege do we have under the sun,
that gives us the right to the throne?
-In Flames

bubblefucker junior
17.08.2008 - 21:56
Janne
Hugin
Written by keli on 17.08.2008 at 10:24

When I'm studying for the exams, then I don't listen to music. This way I can concentrate better and it will take less time. Listening to music doesn't help at all.

It's true but this way is not so enjoyable...
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
17.08.2008 - 22:19
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Studying and music, not good IMHO. If I ever listen to music while studying, it's some instrumental I've never heard before (so I don't keep humming all the time instead of studying) or classical music such as Bach, but I almost always study with my stereo turned off.
----
18.08.2008 - 02:29
Number Juan
I agree with those who say they can study with almost every genre of music. I have studied with the Rurouni Kenshin music soundtracks which are mostly classical music. I have studied with classic and melodic metal and the more extreme metal genres as well. So, it all depends on my mood.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
21.08.2008 - 11:03
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
the only metal i listen to when i study is some good old eyehategod

i really cant listen to anything else because i start to pay attention to the music instead of studying
24.08.2008 - 05:21
Sorg
Account deleted
I use ambient music to study, which I don't do often.
25.08.2008 - 16:33
5.T.4.L.k.E.R
some Gothic or symphonic Gothic metal song usually does it for me. or may be a melodic death/black/[or whatever melodic] song.

for example:
Tristania - Wormwood
Theatre of Tragedy - And When He Falleth
Dimmu Borgir - Mourning Palace
Sirenia - The Thorn
----
...enter by the Mystical Gates of Reincarnation
25.08.2008 - 17:35
Galar
Wicked Mung
Anything from jazz-funk-folk metal.... Nothing to brutal that makes you lose focus though. Ironiclly I fall asleep to brutal/death.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
25.08.2008 - 19:46
armageddon
I listen to classical sometimes.

It doesn't take my attention away and i believe some like Mozart even help you study.

I've studied with extreme metal too though...
----
"Whenever you're pissed off, just remember that it's better than being pissed on"
25.08.2008 - 20:35
Piro
Personally, if I study without music, I start to look outside my window (usually that equals foggy forest and a few houses) my mind starts to wander, when I play some kind of music, I for some reason am able to focus on my work more. Actually, most of my reports and assignments for school have been done while listening to some sort of music.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
29.08.2008 - 17:20
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 29.08.2008 at 16:05

For me it's definitely Moonsorrow, whenever thier music is playing I find it easier to focus on everything becuase I feel so calm and complete.

I agree, maybe this is the best music to study with! and the best music to calm down is the album "A'arab zaraq-Lucid dreaming" from Therion!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
29.08.2008 - 20:08
Nazeef
While studying, you have to focus on your papers, so that your brain will put all other kind of noises as a background... otherwise, you won't appreciate a song or get the lyrics while analysing a thesis
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
05.09.2008 - 08:16
nana.MD
Star-Queen
i like to hear classical music & death metal...i love playing the lord of the ring's soundtrack while i'm studying
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
14.10.2008 - 18:42
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
melodic metal is the best to study too. though it can sometimes throw people off because of the intricacies involved but as a whole its a good genre to listen to if studying.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
14.10.2008 - 18:47
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Tangerine Dream, Jean Michel Jarre, Brian Eno, Cusco, Vangelis
Ambient music works well at cutting out background noise without distracting me

Metal + Studying = Fail (At least in my experience... )
14.10.2008 - 18:50
smcl369
ambient music, cos its like background noise anyway...
14.10.2008 - 19:37
iaberis
Advice Troll
Doom metal seems to work a bit for me...
----
Bitch! Please
15.10.2008 - 05:20
Barbaydos
Account deleted
it really depends on what kind of music your into but i prefer melodic metal, i find it helps me with my train of thought when im studying or working on an assignment or something
15.10.2008 - 15:36
Janne
Hugin
a new question: what's the best music to read with?
I must read a really boring book and I can't choose any music to listen to while reading because I always start concentrating on the music instead of the book even if I don't like the music and the volume is nearly 0...
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.10.2008 - 15:48
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Janne on 15.10.2008 at 15:36

a new question: what's the best music to read with?
I must read a really boring book and I can't choose any music to listen to while reading because I always start concentrating on the music instead of the book even if I don't like the music and the volume is nearly 0...

I listen to a lot of Ambient/Electronic music while reading. Last Burzum album, some Ulver, Wongraven... It's not distracting, but on the downside it can sometimes put you to sleep if the book sucks (hence why I don't listen to so much Ambient while studying anymore!).
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
15.10.2008 - 15:51
Janne
Hugin
Yeah, maybe Ulver would be good, I'll try with it! but the book sucks and fucking long. :/
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.10.2008 - 19:02
-Soulreaper-
Written by Piro on 14.08.2008 at 20:10

I generally listen to very atmospheric metal (like Nazgul, Summoning, Burzum) when I study, though sometimes stuff of the doom genre comes in as well. Classical is also very nice for studying, though I still personally prefer some sort of metal.

The same here. But doing anything while listening to Summoning always makes whatever you are doing better.
15.10.2008 - 19:58
MetalSpider
I used to listen to any metal really while studying but I found that I would just end up being too engrossed in the music and not studying haha! So now I listen to no music while studying.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!