Metal Storm logo
What's the best music to study with?

Original post

Posted by iaberis, 27.01.2008 - 14:05
Every year when the exams start, I'm getting into a big dilemma... I don't know what to do when I study! Listen to music or not at all? Well sure it depends on the subject you're studying, but give me your opinions...

I wish I could have every possible genre in the options, but the options are limited, so I think that's the best way to put this poll...

Poll

When with a book in hands, what's the best music to listen to?

No music at all!
Melodic metal
Instrumental tracks of any genre
Extreme metal
Other - please define
Classical music...
Electronic / EBM / Ambient / Industrial
Rock or glam...
Hardcore / Metalcore

Total votes: 199
21.09.2009 - 15:08
SerratedSyringe
Also when studying a foreign language, listening to music in that language seems to help.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
23.09.2009 - 04:52
ToMegaTherion
A favorite song to study with is Light of Day, Day of Darkness by Green Carnation definately a great study song, it goes for an hour and i don't get sidetracked listening too overly catchy riffs.
26.04.2011 - 15:13
Abattoir
Staff
Since I have been more or less in a study mood lately, I must say that the music that goes pretty well with studying would be definitely post-rock for me...maybe also atmospheric rock. Easy, dreamy melodies...as long as distracts the other noise around me is good for me. Besides, it's also an amazing genre in general, so it fits just perfectly...
26.04.2011 - 21:08
Rigantona
Classical music helped me a lot while attending engineering at the university. I had the best results with Mozart in the background. I also had a list of what music to listen to in which studying occasion. It went like this:

- Math related subjects: Mozart, Bach, Chopin, Haydn
- Physics related subjects: Loreena McKennitt, Blackmore's Night
- Engineering related subjects: all kinds of ballads
- Lab related subject: Kamelot, Manowar, Helloween, Saxon, Stratovarius (power metal mostly)
- Computer science: instrumentals from DIO, Metallica and Satriani
- All the other subjects: no music since the topics were boring and you needed full concentration to manage it to the end

Sometimes handling a small sword when studying physics is so power metal XD
----
"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players."
William Shakespeare
27.04.2011 - 05:25
Yasmine
Classical for sure.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
27.04.2011 - 05:39
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Music distracts from studying. Especially metal. It's hard to study when your head is involuntaraly flaying back and forth.
27.04.2011 - 05:51
Yasmine
Listen to Mozart, or Vivaldi.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
27.04.2011 - 05:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I also like Wagner and Rachmaninoff, but Tchaikovsky takes the cake for me.

Not to study though. Just for a change of scenery momentarily. Studying is a secondary task for me, so what I'm listening to doesn't matter. I'd probably go with atmospheric black or sludge, but it wouldn't throw me off if I threw on something like Prostitute Disfigurement or Khanate.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.04.2011 - 06:27
Yasmine
I like all of them. lol RAchmaninoff is a little chaotic for study though. lol
----
27.04.2011 - 07:13
Void_Eater
Account deleted
...And despite what I said earlier, I'm doing homework while listening to The County Medical Examiners.
27.04.2011 - 10:09
Oracle
Orcinus
None at all, I have a lack of concentration when there is music or even television blaring in the background.
27.04.2011 - 10:38
wormdrink414
Elite
The only times I really listen to Bach et al., I'm pretending to be an academic and studying something for school. Otherwise, if I'm reading something merely for the sake of reading it (something I haven't been doing enough lately), I try not to listen to anything. Especially while reading novels. I think of it as a favor to the author. Let Bellow do the emotion controlling, y'know?
27.04.2011 - 11:36
Luneth
Account deleted
I study best with either classical or extreme doom. I always need music to listen to while working, it motivates me...
27.04.2011 - 14:38
ANGEL REAPER
I'm studding electrical engineering and computing ,and listen to black metal on all subjects.....I think that listening to only the music which you like can improve your study results....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
27.04.2011 - 21:36
Ghostdancer
I don't think I listened to music when I studied during junior high or high school. During my university years I played a lot of Mozart's symphonies, piano concertos and violin concertos when I studied. If I tried to listen to metal, I would not retain any information because I was too into the music to pay attention to what I was trying to study. That even happened with Mozart from time to time.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
02.05.2011 - 02:25
Kennoth
I can't study with music on. I already have short attention span about studying as it is...
----
*insert something deep and profound*
02.05.2011 - 02:45
Ragana
Rawrcat
When you don't get what the song is about ('cause you just don't understand anything)... uh, that's the best. I mean, some death metal and grindcore.
02.05.2011 - 13:18
Kennoth
Written by Ragana on 02.05.2011 at 02:45

When you don't get what the song is about ('cause you just don't understand anything)... uh, that's the best. I mean, some death metal and grindcore.

Or that dreadfully annoying Chinese music my friend has to put up with in work.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
02.05.2011 - 13:48
Rigantona
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 27.04.2011 at 14:38

I'm studding electrical engineering and computing ,and listen to black metal on all subjects.....I think that listening to only the music which you like can improve your study results....

That only helps you mess around and loose focus on the potential engineering offers. I had many friends doing the same as you during college days and actually it made them be somehow a little outcast from the variations outside. While the every genre listeners are better engineers today
It also helped me as well listen to particular genres for particular subjects. Never listen to black metal while studying XD
----
"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players."
William Shakespeare
02.05.2011 - 14:25
Yavanna
I don't really study at all... I only listen to Metal (or play video games, or surf on web, or do it all at same time). Anyway my grades are better than mostly of my classmates at university.
If I really have no choice and have to study anything, I choose Children of Bodom or Dragonforce.
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
02.05.2011 - 14:45
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
For some reason Prog Rock helps me study, either that or classical. I find it more difficult to study and listen to metal at the same time.
02.05.2011 - 19:32
Quendastil
I'm my case, diagnosed as hyperactive in my childhood, while I was studying engineering I required music to study for two reasons: a) noise isolation from anything outside the room and b) music managed to occupy most of my "mental hyperactivity" so the rest of me could focus on the subject.
Because of my tastes I tried first with melodic death, wich proved to be quite a good choice for a few reasons:
- Lyrics aren't that clear to understand (at least for me) so they didn't distract me.
- It doesn't sound too chaotic or complex.
- It has a fair amount of double bass drumming, wich manages to occupy my motion hyperactivity. Extreme cases of hyperactivity may require a more extreme metal.
----
He walks... slipping feet from steps at random... he falls
02.05.2011 - 20:42
Iriki
Written by Yavanna on 02.05.2011 at 14:25

I don't really study at all... I only listen to Metal (or play video games, or surf on web, or do it all at same time). Anyway my grades are better than mostly of my classmates at university.
If I really have no choice and have to study anything, I choose Dragonforce.

You seriously defined me about 5 years ago.

Nowadays, when I really have to study, I put some Classical/(Soft)Jazz Fusion/Ambient/Dark Metal when it's easy to study, and Tech Prog when it's something hard and I need some stimulus.
02.05.2011 - 21:09
JD
Account deleted
It depends on my mood:

Grunge
Polish Rock\Pop
Katatonia, Isole...
Old School Thrash Metal (some bands)
Brutal Death Metal (some bands)
03.05.2011 - 14:09
Sophist
I listen to music before studying to motivate myself, and after to relax because most of the time I feel like my head's on fire after.
03.05.2011 - 19:57
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Rigantona on 02.05.2011 at 13:48

That only helps you mess around and loose focus on the potential engineering offers. I had many friends doing the same as you during college days and actually it made them be somehow a little outcast from the variations outside. While the every genre listeners are better engineers today
It also helped me as well listen to particular genres for particular subjects. Never listen to black metal while studying XD

but i keeps me focused so i listen to it.....btw i really hate classical so Mozart will be worst choice
BTW i am the "headphone" kind of listener of metal so i dont see how i could waste an energy....and also i find this engineering things as natural for me as breathing
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
03.05.2011 - 20:54
Ghostdancer
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 03.05.2011 at 19:57

.....btw i really hate classical so Mozart will be worst choice

lol... If you really hate a form of music, you cannot concentrate on anything other than turning the shit off!
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
03.05.2011 - 20:56
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Ghostdancer on 03.05.2011 at 20:54

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 03.05.2011 at 19:57

.....btw i really hate classical so Mozart will be worst choice

lol... If you really hate a form of music, you cannot concentrate on anything other than turning the shit off!

exactly ...
----
04.05.2011 - 08:52
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
When it comes down to it, any music that is "engaging" is pretty bad to study for me. I find myself listening to every little discernible nuance in any kind of "intelligent" music such as classical, and pof course music as energetic as most electronica or metal is just distracting. Oddly enough I find Iron maiden's Piece of Mind good study music, considering its a fairly melodic yet might I say smooth album. Another song I've found good at drowning out "other" music when trying to study in my car with someone blasting music is Ulver's "Perdition City". Nothing too discernible and the smooth sax just sooths me to focus more.
04.05.2011 - 10:00
whatsacow
Generally, something more ambient. Extreme doom metal, depressive black metal, post metal, shoeglaze, post rock, dark ambient, drone metal etc.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?