Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden

Original post

Posted by GT, 25.03.2008 - 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here
17.04.2010 - 01:19
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
If I was on the FB wagon I would sign that
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
17.04.2010 - 02:13
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
If Iron Maiden is allowed to open at the Olympics than that would make other well known metal bands from their respective countries stand up and say that they want to open up for the Olympics when it comes to their country...which would be pretty cool...
17.04.2010 - 10:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I think the time is right and it's about time! Let's hope that happens.

You know how dedicated Maiden fans can be. They'll do everything to make that happen. Pretty sure.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.04.2010 - 11:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by BloodTears on 17.04.2010 at 10:43

You know how dedicated Maiden fans can be. They'll do everything to make that happen. Pretty sure.

actually i'd expect a campaign for Maiden to play in the beginning of the 2014 Brazil World Cup match. South America is pretty much Maiden Heaven.
17.04.2010 - 12:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 17.04.2010 at 02:13

If Iron Maiden is allowed to open at the Olympics than that would make other well known metal bands from their respective countries stand up and say that they want to open up for the Olympics when it comes to their country...which would be pretty cool...

Well, I know Hammerfall played at the opening ceremony for the European athletics championships when it was held in Gothenburg. But metal is more in the mainstream in Sweden, than it is in Britain. And only mainstream acts could ever hope of being able to play at an event like that.
17.04.2010 - 16:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.04.2010 at 12:23

Well, I know Hammerfall played at the opening ceremony for the European athletics championships when it was held in Gothenburg. But metal is more in the mainstream in Sweden, than it is in Britain. And only mainstream acts could ever hope of being able to play at an event like that.

Well yes they did one but I hate any think whats connected whit Goteburg sport like IFK , GAIS , Orgyte also Frolunda (well not hate but dont like Goteburg hockey), and HF is big name in swe but IM is much bigger in Ullevi(gosh i hate Scandinavium name) stadion there was 81 000 listen IM in 2005 so IM is much much bigger name in Swe and I hope they open Olympics whit Trooper
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.04.2010 - 16:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

what was 1th one Brian Adams open Vancouver, dint remeber Torino , Atenas, Sydney , china OG openings , nagano and Atlanta I was to small for knowing
----

apos;'
[image]
17.04.2010 - 17:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Bad English on 17.04.2010 at 16:05
Well yes they did one but I hate any think whats connected whit Goteburg sport like IFK , GAIS , Orgyte also Frolunda (well not hate but dont like Goteburg hockey), and HF is big name in swe but IM is much bigger in Ullevi(gosh i hate Scandinavium name) stadion there was 81 000 listen IM in 2005 so IM is much much bigger name in Swe and I hope they open Olympics whit Trooper

Why do you hate anything connected with Gothenburg sport?

The big difference between Britain, and a lot of other european countries, is metal is accepted as part of the mainstream in countries like Sweden, and Germany. Even Iron Maiden, who are a huge band, you will not see on mainstream tv, or hear them on mainstream radio in the UK. And the rare occassions Metal is on, its always really late at night, or in the early hours of the morning! Hammerfall is just one example, but I know they have been on mainstream Swedish TV, as well as doing the opening ceremony for the EU championships. Another example is Rage having a song entered into the Bundevision song contest, (German version of Eurovision ) which is a much publicised, and televised mainstream music event in Germany. And they played the song live at the televised event. That sort of thing would never happen in the UK. Metal just isnt popular enough for any of those sorts of things to happen here. Which is why I think its highly doubtful any metal band, even a huge one like Maiden, would open a major sporting event in this country.
17.04.2010 - 17:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.04.2010 at 17:15

Written by Bad English on 17.04.2010 at 16:05

The big difference between Britain, and a lot of other european countries, is metal is accepted as part of the mainstream in countries like Sweden, and Germany. Even Iron Maiden, who are a huge band, you will not see on mainstream tv, or hear them on mainstream radio in the UK. And the rare occassions Metal is on, its always really late at night, or in the early hours of the morning! Hammerfall is just one example, but I know they have been on mainstream Swedish TV, as well as doing the opening ceremony for the EU championships. Another example is Rage having a song entered into the Bundevision song contest, (German version of Eurovision ) which is a much publicised, and televised mainstream music event in Germany. And they played the song live at the televised event. That sort of thing would never happen in the UK. Metal just isnt popular enough for any of those sorts of things to happen here. Which is why I think its highly doubtful any metal band, even a huge one like Maiden, would open a major sporting event in this country.

1) Stockholm-Malmo-Goteburg - rivery even there much bigger inside in Stoclholm it self AIk-Djurgarden-Hammarby, and I prefere Stockholm
and besides They have goiod hockey team and historicaly has no ice and are better how Lulea.., thets why grr Per-Johan Axelsson was born there

in Swe IM is huge name, even non metalhead more hip hop fan whit eminem t shirt singing once im prissoner , im free man LOL and metal here its accepted, long hair is offen , but in tV whit out VH1 and VH1 Classic (where narrow mindet vesrions) and maybe some time in one of Swe channels its hard fin anyrthing whit metal, even muisc shops in Lulea there non where you can buy underground only those mainstreem ,
----

apos;'
[image]
17.05.2010 - 11:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
WOOOHOOO Maiden announced a show in Cluj-Napoca!! now the only thing i have to decide is: plane or train?
17.05.2010 - 14:02
Angel Of Mercy
Glad I'm going to see them on the first european date. /m
----
Your time will come.
31.05.2010 - 10:51
vezzy
Stallmanite
I'm desperately awaiting the release of The Final Frontier.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
31.05.2010 - 16:33
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hope that they will release the album before the Sonisphere festival here in Stockholm.

Let him hate! Being from Stockholm I have to HATE everything connected to Gothenburg... except for some metal. When I saw Avatar (being from Gothenburg) live (and hated them) I shouted "GO BACK HOME TO F-ING GOTHENBURG". Several dudes in the audience turned to me and applauded.
Deathstars, being mainly a Stockholm band, also mocked Gothenburg when they played there. So you see, there's a big traditional rivalry between these towns.
----
02.06.2010 - 13:39
Storchillarn
Gothenburg is like the retarded younger brother of Stockholm. Besides, Opeth (STHLM-band) beats the hell out of the whole Gothenburg-scene. @Warman: Det var ju ganska oförskämt av dig men Avatar suger ju så kan inte direkt komma med några invändningar. =)

To get back on topic, I made the effort of making my favorite Maiden album top-list and I even surprised myself on some places.
Best Iron Maiden album top list (live albums not included):
1. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
2. The Number of the Beast
3. Somewhere in Time
4. Iron Maiden
5. Powerslave
6. Killers
7. Piece of Mind
8. Brave New World
9. A Matter of Life And Death
10. No Prayer For the Dying
11. Fear of the Dark
12. Dance of Death
13. Virtual XI
14. The X-factor
02.06.2010 - 21:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Warman on 31.05.2010 at 16:33

Deathstars, being mainly a Stockholm band, also mocked Gothenburg when they played there. So you see, there's a big traditional rivalry between these towns.

A shit band mocking other bands is of course hilarious.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.06.2010 - 11:48
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.06.2010 at 21:46

A shit band mocking other bands is of course hilarious.

Just shut up, old man.
----
08.06.2010 - 09:49
Saitenhexerin
SO, what do you say about the new song? I do not really know what to make of it. It's not bad, far from that, but yeah I dunno...
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
08.06.2010 - 10:21
Angel Of Mercy
Written by Saitenhexerin on 08.06.2010 at 09:49

SO, what do you say about the new song? I do not really know what to make of it. It's not bad, far from that, but yeah I dunno...

It's not bad, it's not bad. When I heard the intro I was like, "what the heck is this" I thought it was another band apart from maiden, but when Bruce started I knew it was him!. I only have three minor quibbles with the track,

1. I cant make out the lyrics,
2. Bruces voice sounds weak (or at least weaker than it did, hope the whole albums not like that).
3. All of Bruces Double tracking made it impossible to tell the state of his voice.
----
Your time will come.
08.06.2010 - 12:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"El Dorado" absolutely rocks! It sounds more like Bruce's solo material than Maiden, but seeing as I love Bruce's solo stuff, Im not complaining AT ALL! I will be happy if the rest of the album is in a similar style for sure. I loved "A Matter Of Life And Death", but after that, I thought Maiden needed to inject more fun and excitement back into their music, and "El Dorado" definitely does the trick. Really looking forward to the new album now! \m/
08.06.2010 - 16:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Angel Of Mercy on 08.06.2010 at 10:21
It's not bad, it's not bad. When I heard the intro I was like, "what the heck is this" I thought it was another band apart from maiden, but when Bruce started I knew it was him!. I only have three minor quibbles with the track,

1. I cant make out the lyrics

What? I thought the lyrics were very easy to make out! lol There's one line Im not sure of, but the rest was easy. Here are the lyrics:

El Dorado:

Gonna tell you a story, on a cold winters' night
You'll be sailing for glory, before you know it is light
So come over here now, I've got a vision for you,
It's my personal snake oil, it's just something I do...

I'm the jester with no tears, and I'm playing on all your fears,
I'm a trickster smiling, underneath this mask of love and death...
The eternal lie I've told, about the pyramids of gold,
Ive got you got hooked at every turn, your mind is left to burn...hahaha!

You'll be wanting a contract, huh, well You'll be waiting a while
I'd like to give you my contact, but that isnt my style!
Well, you only get one chance, and it's too good to miss,
If I didnt lie to ya, then I wouldn't exist...

Greed, lust, envy, pride, it's the same old, same old way
The smoke and mirrors, visions that you see are just like me...
And my clever banker's face, is just a little out of a place
I know someone just like you, knows someone jokes like me

(chorus)

El Dorado - Come and play,
El Dorado - Step this way,
Take a ticket for the ride

El Dorado - Streets Of Gold,
See the ship is over sold (?)
You've got one last chance to try

(Solos - Smith/Murray/Gers)

So gone is the glory, and gone is the gold...
Well if you need a story, how come it has to be told?
Well, you can say I'm a devil, and I wouldnt say no!
But out here on the dark side, Hey! On with the show

So now my tale is told, big and bad and twice as bold
This ship of fools is sinking, as the cracks begin to grow...
There is no easy way, for an honest man today
Which is something you should think on, as my lifeboat sails away...

I think those lyrics are at least 98% correct. I think this song was written by Adrian and Bruce. Purely because it does sound so much like Bruce's later solo stuff, but in standard tuning. lol xD
08.06.2010 - 18:53
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Bruce sounds really, REALLY bored. Not really digging the sing-talk vocals of the song. :/
09.06.2010 - 11:06
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
When I heard the song the first thing I noticed was how weird Bruce sounded. And that kinda screws up the whole song for me. If the vocals aren't working, it's always gona hurt the song. Like when Megadeth played here a week ago or so. Dave lost his voice and although they were playing a lot of songs from my fav Megadeth album "Rust In Peace", musically it sounded great but the vocals weren't there and it sounded so weird because of that.

I feel the same way now, only it's in a record and not live.
----

My Instagram
09.06.2010 - 14:35
Lord_Regnier
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 08.06.2010 at 18:53

Bruce sounds really, REALLY bored. Not really digging the sing-talk vocals of the song. :/

Imo, it's not something new. He started sounding weaker on "Fear Of The Dark" and all the albums since his comeback feature lots of weak vocals. Compared to the 80s stuff, his vocals barely have any power left.
His vocals in the 80s were much more high-pitched, operatic in some way, sharp and raw.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
09.06.2010 - 15:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I think criticising Bruce for not being as good a singer now as he was in his 20's is a bit ridiculous. Especially for the type of singer he is. His vocals may be "weaker", but that doesnt mean they are weak. He has sung with a more aggressive, less operatic tone since "No Prayer For The Dying", although he has toned that down since his comeback with Maiden, where I thought his vocals were sounding strong again, if not the way they were at his peak. His vocals on "El Dorado" are nothing mindblowing, but they are definitely not bad enough to ruin the song for me. He sounds fine. But maybe I have no expectations of him singing in the awesome way he did in the 80's. To expect that IMO is being unrealstic. Its like slating Rob Halford's voice now when he is way past his prime.
09.06.2010 - 15:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I agree that it is unrealistic to expect him to sound like he did in his prime too.

Maybe I was being a bit too harsh and didn't even consider that but I do think it hurts the song, at least for me.
----

My Instagram
09.06.2010 - 17:43
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Warman on 31.05.2010 at 16:33

Hope that they will release the album before the Sonisphere festival here in Stockholm.

Let him hate! Being from Stockholm I have to HATE everything connected to Gothenburg... except for some metal. When I saw Avatar (being from Gothenburg) live (and hated them) I shouted "GO BACK HOME TO F-ING GOTHENBURG". Several dudes in the audience turned to me and applauded.

i'm surprised you have In Flames as one of your favorite bands in that case... but i'm not surprised you don't like Hammerfall haha
09.06.2010 - 18:18
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Just listened to the new song. Really liking the music, but not sure about the rest yet. Have to give a few more plays on a prober stereo to be able to give it fair judgement I think
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
09.06.2010 - 21:50
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 09.06.2010 at 14:35

Imo, it's not something new. He started sounding weaker on "Fear Of The Dark" and all the albums since his comeback feature lots of weak vocals. Compared to the 80s stuff, his vocals barely have any power left.
His vocals in the 80s were much more high-pitched, operatic in some way, sharp and raw.

Eh, I usually dig his vocals from BNW to MoLaD, but this... His vocals in El Dorado sound very uninspiring, which is very odd coming from Bruce. Imo, although his vocals haven't been as "raw" since the 80's, I believe it still can be just as powerful in a more booming and bombastic sense.
10.06.2010 - 00:11
Lord_Regnier
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.06.2010 at 15:10

I have no expectations of him singing in the awesome way he did in the 80's. To expect that IMO is being unrealstic. Its like slating Rob Halford's voice now when he is way past his prime.

Well, that's precisely the core of the problem. Maiden are way past their prime now and, imo, should have called a quit a few decades ago.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
10.06.2010 - 00:16
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 10.06.2010 at 00:11
Well, that's precisely the core of the problem. Maiden are way past their prime now and, imo, should have called a quit a few decades ago.

But you havent enjoyed anything Maiden have done since 7th Son, while I have found merit in every single album they have made since then. Even "Fear Of The Dark" and the Blaze albums, which to me was the worst period for the band, produced some decent songs. Even if the albums themselves were very patchy. Its like saying Megadeth should have called it a day after "Rust In Peace". (although Im sure some people will say they should have done just that lol) they will never top that album, but they've still made some good stuff since then, at least IMO, so I see no reason why they should call it a day.