Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden

Original post

Posted by GT, 25.03.2008 - 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here
10.06.2010 - 01:25
Lord_Regnier
Written by Angelic Storm on 10.06.2010 at 00:16

But you havent enjoyed anything Maiden have done since 7th Son, while I have found merit in every single album they have made since then. Even "Fear Of The Dark" and the Blaze albums, which to me was the worst period for the band, produced some decent songs. Even if the albums themselves were very patchy. Its like saying Megadeth should have called it a day after "Rust In Peace". (although Im sure some people will say they should have done just that lol) they will never top that album, but they've still made some good stuff since then, at least IMO, so I see no reason why they should call it a day.

It's a matter of perspective. Personally, I don't find it interesting and even kinda pathetic at times, when bands become only a pale shadow of their former self and have nothing more than watered down material to offer. I can understand that some bands will stay only for monetary reasons even when they spawned all the good they had already but it's not even an argument in Maiden's case because they don't need the money.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
10.06.2010 - 02:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 09.06.2010 at 11:06

When I heard the song the first thing I noticed was how weird Bruce sounded. And that kinda screws up the whole song for me. If the vocals aren't working, it's always gona hurt the song. Like when Megadeth played here a week ago or so. Dave lost his voice and although they were playing a lot of songs from my fav Megadeth album "Rust In Peace", musically it sounded great but the vocals weren't there and it sounded so weird because of that.

I feel the same way now, only it's in a record and not live.

He's getting older, wanna hear bad old vocalist try Ian Gillan
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.06.2010 - 02:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ok song was weird, but same I thought when hear Recarnation Of Benjamin Greek and Diferent Words, but after time I love it...I gonna judge whole album, when I hear it more how 10 times, now I cantjudge IM after one song, but weekest alnum from band no doubt si Killers, but wht Bruce thay never made week, maybe you need grow up till such music?
----

apos;'
[image]
10.06.2010 - 13:01
Saitenhexerin
Have you seen the setlist already as they played on the first show of the final frontier tour?
01. The Wicker Man
02. The Ghost Of The Navigator
03. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
04. El Dorado
05. Paschendale
06. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
07. These Colours Don't Run
08. Blood Brothers
09. Wildest Dreams
10. No More Lies
11. Brave New World
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden

Encore:

14. The Number Of the Beast
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Running Free

I think it's unbelievable that they leave out The Trooper as well as Run To The Hills. I really like Dance of Death and Brave New World, as they are great albums (especially BNW) but the setlist is just too unbalanced IMHO.
Plus they play only one new song. I think, for people who have not been to the Somewhere Back In Time tour, to listen to all the classics, will be very disappointed. On the other hand, I think it's cool of Maiden to stick to their course and really do what they want. But I'd rather hear some more classics/or old songs they haven't played live that often, than Ghost of the Navigator or Wildest Dreams. Or Benjamin Breeg, for that matter.

source http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/iron-maiden-the-final-frontier-tour-setlist-revealed/
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
10.06.2010 - 13:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Irritable Ted on 10.06.2010 at 12:16
You didn't like Fear Of The Dark? That is the highlight of the average stuff since 7th Son for me.

Talking of the Blaze albums, did you know that Marco Hietala auditioned for Maiden at the same time? Imagine how cool the albums would have been if he had got the position.

I didnt say I don't like "Fear Of The Dark". I just find the album to be a bit patchy. The first Maiden album Id say that about, as I actually love "No Prayer For The Dying". I like most of "Fear Of The Dark", but songs like "Weekend Warrior" pale in comparison to great tracks like "Afraid To Shoot Strangers", and "Judas Be My Guide". (which is one of my fave Maiden songs, and is very underrated)

Marco Hietala? Who's that? Michael Kiske was actually the favourite for the Maiden job at the time Bruce left. The rumour is Steve would not consider him, because he only wanted a British vocalist.

Hmm...Ive just had a look at that setlist. Too many songs from AMOLAD for my liking, and I like that album. I am glad that the band now want to concentrate more on the later songs, but Id prefer more stuff from the 90's, which are very rarely aired live anymore, to be added to the setlist. I am sick of seeing Maiden play the same songs every time I see them, but I wish they'd vary their setlist a lot more. Where are the rare songs that hardly ever, or even never get played live? Like "Sea Of Madness", "Back In The Village", or "Fates Warning"? They need to take a leaf out of Metallica's book when it comes to making setlists.
10.06.2010 - 13:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 10.06.2010 at 13:30

Written by Irritable Ted on 10.06.2010 at 12:16
You didn't like Fear Of The Dark? That is the highlight of the average stuff since 7th Son for me.

Talking of the Blaze albums, did you know that Marco Hietala auditioned for Maiden at the same time? Imagine how cool the albums would have been if he had got the position.

Marco Hietala? Who's that? Michael Kiske was actually the favourite for the Maiden job at the time Bruce left. The rumour is Steve would not consider him, because he only wanted a British vocalist.

Nightwhish bass/vocals , but he's also Tarot bassist vocalist,, his firts band , start at 80's maybe lik Fin vesrion about IM< where he and his brother(guitars) start at 80's.
80's was bass/vox, guitar, guitar, drums
now bass/vox, guitars, keys and drums
Try song Pyre Of The Gods+ in home page are many 80's live songs avalible for download(was when I don it)
----

apos;'
[image]
10.06.2010 - 14:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Woah, that guy can sure sing! When he sings harsh, he reminds me a lot of Jorn Lande, but he sounds more operatic when he sings clean. Yep, Marco would have been awesome in Maiden. His style would have been a perfect fit for them.
10.06.2010 - 14:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Irritable Ted on 10.06.2010 at 14:15
Michael Kiske in Maiden. That would have been a disaster. I love his voice, but he is the perfect example of power metal. Far too clean for heavy metal.

I totally agree with you. Im also a massive Kiske fan, but you'd need a dirtiness and attitude in your voice to be good for Maiden, and Kiske is too sweet and clean, so he wouldn't have fitted. Though at the time when Bruce left, most people seemed to think he was the favourite for the position. Although Kiske is miles away a better singer than Blaze, Blaze fitted Maiden better than Kiske would have.
10.06.2010 - 15:01
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Saitenhexerin on 10.06.2010 at 13:01

I think it's unbelievable that they leave out The Trooper as well as Run To The Hills. I really like Dance of Death and Brave New World, as they are great albums (especially BNW) but the setlist is just too unbalanced IMHO.
Plus they play only one new song. I think, for people who have not been to the Somewhere Back In Time tour, to listen to all the classics, will be very disappointed. On the other hand, I think it's cool of Maiden to stick to their course and really do what they want. But I'd rather hear some more classics/or old songs they haven't played live that often, than Ghost of the Navigator or Wildest Dreams. Or Benjamin Breeg, for that matter.

I totally agree with all of this, and I hope it's not the same setlist for when they play to the show I'm going to. The only two Maiden shows I've been to have been during both "classic" tours, but no Trooper? But instead, Wildest Dreams? The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg? Ugh... No songs from PoM, SSoaSS or SIT? :/ ALTHOUGH, I have actually been saying to my friends that I REALLY hope they open with The Wickerman, cus let's face it. It kicks ass and I imagine it would be an awesome opener! :O
10.06.2010 - 22:38
Derwood
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 10.06.2010 at 15:01

Written by Saitenhexerin on 10.06.2010 at 13:01

I totally agree with all of this, and I hope it's not the same setlist for when they play to the show I'm going to. The only two Maiden shows I've been to have been during both "classic" tours, but no Trooper? But instead, Wildest Dreams? The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg? Ugh... No songs from PoM, SSoaSS or SIT? :/ ALTHOUGH, I have actually been saying to my friends that I REALLY hope they open with The Wickerman, cus let's face it. It kicks ass and I imagine it would be an awesome opener! :O

Yeah, I've got to agree I'm not very excited about that set list. I put together a rather generous 78 song "best of" disc a couple months ago and two of the songs on that set list didn't make the cut for that, even ("No More Lies" and "Brave New World"). After the last tour, I was expecting a set list heavy with newer material, so I'm not all that surprised. I'm really disappointed, however, that "The Nomad" isn't on there. One of my top five Maiden songs, certainly my favourite since Bruce's retrun, and I was really hoping it would make the set list. Not one track from Powerslave is a pretty bitter disappointment as well. "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" was just too much to hope for.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
10.06.2010 - 22:40
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Derwood on 10.06.2010 at 22:38

Not one track from Powerslave is a pretty bitter disappointment as well. "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" was just too much to hope for.

Luckily, that was on the set list last tour. FUCKING EPIC. :O Too bad you couldn't see it live. D:
10.06.2010 - 22:45
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 10.06.2010 at 22:40
Luckily, that was on the set list last tour. FUCKING EPIC. :O Too bad you couldn't see it live. D:

I wasnt able to catch them on the last tour, and seeing as that might be the last time they ever play that song, I'll probably never see it live now.

Now that they are playing a lot more new songs, I really wish they'd take the opportunity to start playing rare/unheard gems. As great as Maiden are live, they never mix up the setlist, just keep playing the same songs over and over, which has always been a bugbear of mine. With such a great and vast catalogue that Maiden have, they shouldnt be limiting themselves to the same small amount of songs all the time.
10.06.2010 - 22:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Terrible setlist and then endign the encores with the worst DiAnno era song as well. My God. Imagine having bought a ticket to this tour of theirs then your screwed.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.06.2010 - 23:26
Derwood
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.06.2010 at 22:50

Terrible setlist and then endign the encores with the worst DiAnno era song as well. My God. Imagine having bought a ticket to this tour of theirs then your screwed.

I'm guess I'm not quite as cynical as you, yet Marcel. Though "Running Free" is a weak track from Iron Maiden, it was one of my favourites from Live After Death. Some songs are better live.

As for being screwed, yeah, well, at least a couple of the songs will act as lubrication...

I wouldn't mind so much if the tickets had been $50 each instead of the $110 each I paid for them. The only hope is that the band really brings the performance because the setlist is so underwhelming.
----
10.06.2010 - 23:41
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Aw man, I JUST remembered. Dream Theater is opening for them. Although I do like them, they CERTAINLY aren't the most exciting live band ever. After them, I will be so ready for Maiden to rock my face off... but not with a set list like that. *Crosses fingers that it changes by mid-July* -_-
11.06.2010 - 00:58
BattleHamster
So, what do you guys think of the new song, "El Dorado"?
11.06.2010 - 01:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BattleHamster on 11.06.2010 at 00:58

So, what do you guys think of the new song, "El Dorado"?

Bad and booooooooooooring.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.06.2010 - 01:08
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.06.2010 at 22:50

I agree that the setlist is horrible. It looks to me as they avoided as much as they could to play their faster and more complex songs.
Imo, it's a sign that they're simply too old.

Only songs I'd like to hear among the list are "Iron Maiden", "The Number of the Beast" and "Hallowed Be Thy Name".
----
11.06.2010 - 01:17
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 11.06.2010 at 01:08

It looks to me as they avoided as much as they could to play their faster and more complex songs.

Uh... Blood Brothers? Paschendale? Not my top favorite Maiden songs, but I think they got the complex Maiden songs covered.
11.06.2010 - 01:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 11.06.2010 at 01:16

I've listened El Dorado a heavy track but nothing mindblowing,I'm waiting for the whole album to judge overall

same do I
----

apos;'
[image]
11.06.2010 - 01:20
Lord_Regnier
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 11.06.2010 at 01:17

Written by Lord_Regnier on 11.06.2010 at 01:08

It looks to me as they avoided as much as they could to play their faster and more complex songs.

Uh... Blood Brothers? Paschendale? Not my top favorite Maiden songs, but I think they got the complex Maiden songs covered.

Those songs are nothing in terms of complexity compared to the material on "Powerslave", "Somewhere In Time" and "Seventh Son...".
----
11.06.2010 - 01:24
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 11.06.2010 at 01:20

Those songs are nothing in terms of complexity compared to the material on "Powerslave", "Somewhere In Time" and "Seventh Son...".

Yeah, but how often do they play those songs live? I'm not defending them for the sake of fanboyism or anything like that (Cus I'd rather here those songs than what's on the set list), but I don't think the set list is TOO much different in terms of number of more "complex" songs for a normal Maiden show.
11.06.2010 - 04:01
Lord_Regnier
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 11.06.2010 at 01:24

Written by Lord_Regnier on 11.06.2010 at 01:20

Yeah, but how often do they play those songs live? I'm not defending them for the sake of fanboyism or anything like that (Cus I'd rather here those songs than what's on the set list), but I don't think the set list is TOO much different in terms of number of more "complex" songs for a normal Maiden show.

Alright, then. I get your point. And I know you're not a Maiden fanboy. What I think is missing is faster songs like "Aces High", "Moonchild", "Run To The hills", "Killers", "Children Of The Damned" and epics like "Powerslave" "Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner", "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son", "Caught Somewhere In Time", "Alexander The Great", etc.

It's only my opinion but I think the setlist plain sucks.
Also, as they play only one song from the new album, it leads me to believe the album will be only an excuse (one more time) to make a new tour and the album will most likely be quite mediocre.
----
11.06.2010 - 04:36
Derwood
After reading some concert reviews and how coordinated their backdrops, etc are (as usual), it ooks like the only way we'll get to hear something from Piece of Mind is if Dream Theater decide to play their cover of "To Tame a Land."

The more I think about it, and listen to the songs they're playing, the more pissed I am about how much I paid for tickets to the Vancouver show. Even if they wanted to keep the same ratio of songs from the albums they chose, they could have put together a much better set list. Dropping "Brave New World" in favour of "The Nomad" and "No More Lies" for "Montsegur" would be a good start.

Having no songs from either of their two best albums (Powerslave and SSoaSS) is an insult to their long time fans, especially those of us who have never had a chance to see them before. I guess one fucking song out of the sixteen tracks on those albums is too much to expect.

Maybe I'll get lucky and DT will decide to do one of their cover album sets and perform Piece of Mind[ in its entirety.

I'm fucking pissed about this. I really never thought Iron Maiden would disappoint me this badly.
----
11.06.2010 - 06:25
Son of Odin
The new song...is ok I think but not more then that.
I really hope that all other songs on the upcoming album is going to be better, otherwise its going to be the wekaest album they have released so far.
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
11.06.2010 - 07:02
doomvendor
Hey I'm new to this site, Iron Maiden and heavy metal in general. I'm one of those guys who just discovered them playing Rock Band, but there so awesome that I've gone back to thier "classic" three albums (# of the beast through powerslave) and have listed to a good amount of stuff off their other albums, too. The whole point of this post was to maybe get some advice from the IM faithful where to search next. A list of like ten songs not from the albums I've already mentioned would be greatly appreciated. Here's a list of my current favorites if that would be helpful

In no particular order:
Aces High
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Trooper
Revelations
Where Eagles Dare
The Number of the beast
Killers
be quick or be dead
pachendale

powerslave was my favorite album so far for it's sheer consistancy
thanks in advance and UP THE IRONS!!!
11.06.2010 - 09:01
Saitenhexerin

Yeah the Wickerman is a great opener, I'd say. But I just don't get it, because there are no new songs, and so much interchangeable material from the newer albums. There is so much missing, I'd like to hear some less known songs from their late 80s/90s albums (I'd kill for Judas Be My Guide live, absolutely awesome song!). Plus, what Maiden rarely do, is changing the set. I'm collecting bootlegs for quiote some while now and they have the principle - one tour one setlist - as it seems.
So I really hope they vary the whole thing a bit.
I know we had all the classics in 2008 but I think it's unfair for new fans/fans who haven't been to a Maiden show before to not even play the Trooper and Run To The Hills. (I personally really liked the 2007 a matter of the beast summer tour where the set was halfway classic halfway new material)
and so they'll have to do a tour after that again anyway. Because this can't pass as Farewell Tour. At least something lol

Nevertheless I am disappointed by that new song and the setlist and that is a horrible feeling because Maiden always were my favourite band...and I just hope that the album is going to rock my socks off.
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
11.06.2010 - 13:56
Lord_Regnier
Lots of people seem to be deceived by Maiden but only NOW. I find it so weird. I was there in the 80s and it was my favorite band at the time. Maiden began to deceive me with "No Prayer For The Dying" and never failed to deceive me all the way to "Virtual XI". After that, they never deceived me because I opened my eyes and realized that this band went down the drain. When I heard of Bruce's comeback and new album (BNW), I had no expectation at all and when I listened to the album at a music store, it only confirmed that this band was over, as far as I'm concerned. After that, I checked every new album of them. Never have I been deceived because I expect only boring crap. And that's all I heard since Bruce's comeback. Somewhere in my mind, a little voice told me "perhaps they will take you by surprise one day even if you don't believe in it". It never happened. All I heard is sleep-inducing, watered down garbage from a bunch of pathetic old men who stretched their musical career way too much.

The problem with famous bands like Maiden (bands who were great many years ago) is they are tremendously overrated in their current form. I'm absolutely sure if a young band came with the kind of material Maiden release since "The X Factor", almost everyone would say "this band sucks donkey balls" and would not care at all for it.
I mean...The setlist, the new song, etc, etc.
What else do people expect? Maiden are a worn-out old band and, when it comes to studio albums they are washed out has-beens.

I just can't understand the attitude so many people have to clutch at old metal bands as if they were an artificial breathing device and their lives depend on this device. It makes no sense at all. It's as if trying to fight the natural order of things or stopping the course of the wheel of life.

I understand that some people like the new material and are realistic and it's not a case of 'clutching desperately at old metal bands' but some people really give me the feeling to be unrealistic and refuse to accept that time passes and things change.
----
11.06.2010 - 13:56
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've just happened to stumble across this fan made artwork for the new Maiden album, and I have to say, it's miles better than the actual artwork for the album is. This guy is a real talent!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7QyUhiMtBtk/S5vhKzYALOI/AAAAAAAAASM/ChE3fkedXjI/s1600-h/37FinalFrontier.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7QyUhiMtBtk/S5vhKSz_p5I/AAAAAAAAASE/5GippnEtPMM/s1600-h/36FinalFrontier.jpg
11.06.2010 - 18:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Saitenhexerin on 11.06.2010 at 09:01

Yeah the Wickerman is a great opener, I'd say. But I just don't get it, because there are no new songs, and so much interchangeable material from the newer albums. There is so much missing, I'd like to hear some less known songs from their late 80s/90s albums (I'd kill for Judas Be My Guide live, absolutely awesome song!). Plus, what Maiden rarely do, is changing the set. I'm collecting bootlegs for quiote some while now and they have the principle - one tour one setlist - as it seems.
So I really hope they vary the whole thing a bit.
I know we had all the classics in 2008 but I think it's unfair for new fans/fans who haven't been to a Maiden show before to not even play the Trooper and Run To The Hills. (I personally really liked the 2007 a matter of the beast summer tour where the set was halfway classic halfway new material)
and so they'll have to do a tour after that again anyway. Because this can't pass as Farewell Tour. At least something lol

Nevertheless I am disappointed by that new song and the setlist and that is a horrible feeling because Maiden always were my favourite band...and I just hope that the album is going to rock my socks off.

Actually, I love playing Wickerman on guitar, because it's so easy and catchy ahah
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram