Metal Storm logo
Therion

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 04:56
....So, taking into account that I am feeling somewhat un-original right now, I shall start this thread with a description, stolen from Wikipedia.

"Therion is a Swedish symphonic metal band. Its name originates from Greek, where therion means simply beast; the name refers to the beast of the Christian Book of Revelation, however the band's name itself originates from the Celtic Frost album To Mega Therion. Therion was founded by Christofer Johnsson in 1987. Beginning as a death metal band, they later turned to combining orchestral elements with their metal music employing heavy use of choirs and classical musicians.

Therion's music takes its themes from different mythologies and is based on concepts ranging from occultism, magic and ancient traditions and writings. The majority of their lyrics are written by Thomas Karlsson, head and founder of the magical order Dragon Rouge of which Johnsson is a member. The band has seen many changes in line-up and style throughout its history"

This band to me, are absolutley sublime. The elements they combine are not only multifarious, but beautiful in the way they are placed and presented. Lemuria / Sirius B was an instant classic for me, so much more so than the bands previous endevours.

What do you all think of this terrific ensemble?
17.07.2007 - 01:53
Sunioj
Im listening to Le pacca Kliffoth and I must say its very interesting stuff. More DM driven, well I did expect that reading the reviews for their older works. But its damn good already, Melez has a great instrumental break and the first track is a great intro for the album especially when the song changes tempo...I like the way therion plays with aggressive riffs, just adding them where they are needed and most effective.
02.09.2007 - 08:40
Lupas
Maximus
Can someone suggest me which is the best album from this band ?
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
02.09.2007 - 16:14
baldur
Written by Lupas on 02.09.2007 at 08:40

lemuria is the best one and then sirius b
02.09.2007 - 22:07
wrathchild
Staff
I would say Theli is the absolute Therion album, at least it is to me. That's why I'm happy they'll be playing the entire album on their next tour
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
02.09.2007 - 23:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

It depends what music you like thay are lil like Hagaard, who us eto play death metal and then change style, firts 3IMO was good old school death metal whit phylosophic lyrics awsome, watch videos in MS
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.09.2007 - 02:32
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

Just try reading what everyone has said prior to your post.

I don't think there is a best Therion album. My favorites are Theli and Secret of the Runes, but everyone seems to have a different opinion. Personally, I hate the two newest releases, but other people seem to like them...
03.09.2007 - 11:32
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Dangerboner on 03.09.2007 at 02:32

I don't think there is a best Therion album. My favorites are Theli and Secret of the Runes, but everyone seems to have a different opinion. Personally, I hate the two newest releases, but other people seem to like them...

Dude i'm too lazy to read all these posts
At least this have shorten up my time , thanks to all of you who post to my reply
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
03.09.2007 - 11:57
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Lupas on 03.09.2007 at 11:32

Written by Dangerboner on 03.09.2007 at 02:32

Dude i'm too lazy to read all these posts
At least this have shorten up my time , thanks to all of you who post to my reply

It doesnt really matter what album you buy, i mean they are all great, they are one of those bands that havent really released anything poor.

I rank the studio albums as so:
Theli (10/10)
Deggial (9/10)
Secret Of The Runes (9/10)
Lemuria (9/10)
Volvin (8.5/10)
Symphony Masses (8.5/10)
Gothic Kabbalah (8.5/10)
Of Darkness... (8/10)
Beyond Sanctorum (8/10)
Lepaca Kliffoth (7.5/10)
Sirius B (7/10)
03.09.2007 - 13:02
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I also think that "Theli" is Therion's best, it is my favourite by miles. Nor can they or will ever capture what they have captured in Theli, in my opinion. It is a must-have.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.09.2007 - 18:25
Lupas
Maximus
I have listen so far both Theli and Volvin , and they are great . I think Dark Cornatus is right, they are great and they have all albums great also:)
Thanks Dark and to Blood Tears
----
03.10.2007 - 02:23
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I have recently taken a great liking to Therion. It's absolutely magnificent how they combine symphony and metal so eloquently. I've ordered their albums "Theli" and "Vovin" off of Amazon. Now I just have to wait for them to arrive.
05.10.2007 - 16:33
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Lupas on 03.09.2007 at 18:25

I have listen so far both Theli and Volvin , and they are great . I think Dark Cornatus is right, they are great and they have all albums great also:)

You're welcome. I'm glad you liked it. They truly are magnificent.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.10.2007 - 17:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lupas on 03.09.2007 at 18:25

Old albums was old school death metal like Eos Nihilist, Entombed, Grave and so on
----

apos;'
[image]
05.10.2007 - 19:03
Warman
Erotic Stains
The new vocalist Thomas Wikström is my best friends dad Other than that, not a big fan of Therion.
----
05.10.2007 - 22:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 05.10.2007 at 19:03

The new vocalist Thomas Wikström is my best friends dad Other than that, not a big fan of Therion.

Do you tell us truth?
----

apos;'
[image]
06.10.2007 - 06:12
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Warman on 05.10.2007 at 19:03

Other than that, not a big fan of Therion.

Have you only heard that one album...uh...whatever it's called? If so, then I don't get why you're judging them. I don't like that one album either, but Therion is one of my favorites. Check out Theli!
06.10.2007 - 21:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
@K7: Yes I do. His son is member here too (not active though).

@pyro: Yeah, Lemuria is the only album I've heard (expect some other songs here and there) but I figured since it seems to be so popular I wouldn't like the rest. But my friend has some more album that I'll check out.
----
06.10.2007 - 22:15
wrathchild
Staff
Yep, Theli is my favorite album from Therion. Not that I know them all but I've heard many and Theli was way above the others (that aren't bad either, for sure).

I saw the last show with Mats Levén and one of the first show with Thomas Wikström and IMO, the latter is better for Therion and the theatrical aspect of their show.

I'll try my best to attend their show in December, as they will play the whole Therion album, a great gift for Christmas
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
07.10.2007 - 11:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Does Therion in shows play something from old death metal era, or thay ignore that time of music
----

apos;'
[image]
07.10.2007 - 16:29
wrathchild
Staff
Written by Bad English on 07.10.2007 at 11:55

Does Therion in shows play something from old death metal era, or thay ignore that time of music

I'm afraid that they ignore this early period of the band.
In fact, they even give me the impression that those early albums are just demos and that Therion really began with Theli. I'm not saying it's true, it's just what they make me think.
----

Txus, Mägo De Oz
07.10.2007 - 16:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by wrathchild on 07.10.2007 at 16:29

In fact, they even give me the impression that those early albums are just demos and that Therion really began with Theli. I'm not saying it's true, it's just what they make me think.

I never had seen them life but somehow I had feelings thay ignore them and also I had feeling that thay wont remastered them and only way how get em be dounloud from those who has them
Seems all changed bands ingnore early albums and songs(Sentenced, Katatonia, Amorphis and so on, seems Paradise Lost play old songs in concerts)

But i dont say newer and new stuff are bad, its good but only DM what I anjoy are old school, whut lyrics what say something(like Therion, EoS, Sentenced...)
----

apos;'
[image]
19.10.2007 - 05:31
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by wrathchild on 07.10.2007 at 16:29

I partially agree. IMo they began seriously in Lepaca Kliffoth. But Theli was a masterpiece, deffinitely a great "1st" album. I still think Deggial is their best, though
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
19.10.2007 - 12:42
Fuath
my number one favourite band of all time, theyr in a league of their own if u ask me, my favourite album would have to be sirius b and my favourite song would have to be all of them;D , i have never been able to them.
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

08.11.2007 - 09:16
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Brazil's "Stay Heavy" TV show conducted an interview with mainman Christofer Johnsson. You can watch the 10-minute interview at this location.
24.11.2007 - 11:53
ylside
Staff
Written by Bad English on 07.10.2007 at 16:52

I never had seen them life but somehow I had feelings thay ignore them and also I had feeling that thay wont remastered them and only way how get em be dounloud from those who has them

In fact they were remastered and re-released pretty long ago, (2000/1 I think ?) with bonus tracks (except Symphony Masses) with a poor artwork and no booklet.
Yes infact it's pretty weird to hear a death metal band singing about ecology haha.

@White Winter SUn : thanks again for the link, you always provide useful stuff
25.11.2007 - 14:24
VPeter
Oddly enough I found the latest album of theirs in the pop music store's here, was thinking about getting it, but after hearing some songs on their myspace I
was pretty dissapiontent so I decide not to buy it. I dig Therion's other albums tough.
26.11.2007 - 18:24
villain
I've only listened to "beyond Sanctorum" which is a good epic-death metal collection with good use of melody.
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
26.11.2007 - 21:26
ylside
Staff
Written by villain on 26.11.2007 at 18:24

I've only listened to "beyond Sanctorum" which is a good epic-death metal collection with good use of melody.

Beyond Sanctorum is really unique and awesome indeed.
30.11.2007 - 07:24
ChasingEuphoria
Account deleted
one of my favorite bands
i have secret of the runes, vovin and sirius b/lemuria
all great to me especially vovin
23.12.2007 - 20:01
ylside
Staff