07. Henchmen Ride
08. Killing Season
09. Afterlife
10. F.E.A.R.
11. Leave Me Forever

Disc II [Special Edition DVD]
+ The Making of "The Formation Of Damnation"
+ Photo Gallery

Nine years has passed since these legends of thrash metal last released a studio album, and so after an undeniably long wait Testament return in glorious form with "The Formation Of Damnation", picking up where "The Gathering" left off almost a century ago. The album has the Testament stamp all over it, this is thrash metal like Testament always deliver with both more melodic and modern elements as well as a slight peek back to how things were done in the late-eighties.

The theme of "The Formation Of Damnation" is solidarity and a very firm base, everything is very controlled at a steady pace and this theme can be traced through the duration of the entire album whether it be the steady opening galloper of "More Than Meets The Eye" or up-tempo tracks such as phenomenal "The Persecuted Won't Forget" or "F.E.A.R.". Testament explore the fruits of both new and old sounds and weave these into the sound the band achieved on "The Gathering" album to create the sound of "The Formation Of Damnation". Fruits of the new include an overall more full and melodic sound to the guitar riffs showing a slight tinge of the sound modern thrash bands crop up with these days, but also songs such as the previously mentioned "The Persecuted Won't Forget" go all-out with the double bass drums as fast as Testament has ever been before and frantic guitaring to keep up with the times.

The fruits of the old may be a little more prominent in this album as we have almost sing-along, stomp-along song "Dangers Of The Faithless" packed full of tune but also makes you want to bang your head or tap your foot at the same time, and also the immense title track of the album "The Formation Of Damnation" is just a slab of solid gold taken from the Testament of the old-school, with its stabbing guitar riff and solid, nicely paced snare bringing the thrash along to the party.

After nine years it would be somewhat of an anticlimax if "The Formation Of Damnation" did not deliver the goods, but not only does the album deliver the goods but it does it in such professional and elegant style showing every band Testament influenced just how to do it properly one more time. Aside from only one or two songs that never really get going, the album feels like a classic after the first fifteen minutes with each song contributing a part to the whole mix. "The Formation Of Damnation" is going to bring Testament back up to heights they once had and place them right at the top of the top of the thrash metal food chain once again. This is a more than successful return of old-school thrash metal with a modern spin, and it does exactly what it says on the tin; makes you want to thrash!

Written on 22.04.2008 by Member of Staff since 2006

Guest review by
Hermann Langke
Rating:
Testament is the biggest band to emerge form the second wave of thrash metal in the mid 80's and is also perhaps the only band from that wave still making superb music for its dedicated fans. Testament is the only band that I know that's still making convincing thrash metal not to mention that they are also a Semi-Death Metal band. I say so because they are perhaps the only band that I know (apart from Trivium) that combines death and thrash metal elements to near-perfect harmony(although Trivium are not yet that good at it).

Read more ››
published 17.10.2009 | Comments (59)

Comments

Comments: 47   Visited by: 494 users
22.04.2008 - 06:53
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Good review. I've listened to their album a bit since it's been up on their myspace and am liking it more than my previous listens. The only thing that I don't like much are Chuck Billy's vocals, which I usually really like. They sound, at least on the first real track, a bit too much like Randy Blythe for my tastes. Obviously, there is a distinction but I just get a feeling. Regardless the album sounds pretty good so far.
----
The force will be with you, always.
22.04.2008 - 07:59
Rating: 10
everonn
Nice review, this album is a classic...Trash Metal at its best.

22.04.2008 - 11:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
7 at most for me for this one. Proficiently played but nothing shocking, totally devoid of any feeling and soul. But then again what could someone expect from a band who ONLY released 1.5 good albums. Namely The Legacy and half the songs on The New Order.
The last Exodus, Death Angel, Machine Head albums were way superior to this.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.04.2008 - 17:29
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Boring album, I find nothing in it to keep me interested.
23.04.2008 - 20:26
Rating: 4
Charly546
Listened to it when it was on Myspace, repeatedly. I think it sucks. There are exactly 0 good riffs to be found. And even few decent solos and leads from Skolnick (I really expected better from him.) can't save this one.
Too bad, but then again Testament haven't released anything good since "The Legacy".
23.04.2008 - 20:56
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Definately getting it. Just got Practice What You Preach and absolutely love it. Especially the instrumentals and Envy Life.
----
THRASH!!!
23.04.2008 - 20:58
blackthor
Excellent album, you can hate or like this album. I'm in the second category. Very well crafted, it sounds as a whole, you have to listen all the songs to come with a conclusion. This band is evolving, so those of you nostalgic Testament fans will probably be disappointed, maybe it's time for you to look in the mirror and realize that you are not the same as yesterday, so let your music preferences evolve with you, don't make them prisoners of time.
23.04.2008 - 21:38
Abattoir
Staff
Well, I find this album as quite good...but not such a blast...I would rate it somewhere between 7 and 8.
23.04.2008 - 22:49
Nazgal
Account deleted
I heard a few songs of the album, and it's pretty good. Perhaps I'll buy the whole album. I'm getting curious now.
24.04.2008 - 00:18
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Oh shit! Testament made a new album? Why didn't anyone tell me about this?!
24.04.2008 - 03:20
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I really like the album. Unlike some people, I think that it has some awesome songs, and it is very catchy too.
24.04.2008 - 08:02
Metal George
I really liked Testament's the Legacy, New World Order, Low, and The Ritual even though all Chuck sang were clean vocals. Demonic had some okay songs. I though The Gathering was good too, it had Dave Lombardo on drums! I only heard one track from the new album, but if it is as good as The Gathering then I am all for it.
24.04.2008 - 11:32
BrightNight
Very Good Review.

This Album is on the same level as The Gathering. Its really back to the old Testament roots. This really is one of the best albums released this year already! And im going for the best Trash album of the year. Very Heavy and Fast with lots of melodic solo's. Everyone Should listen the Whole Album...not just one or two songs and then judge because you simply cant.

Testament at its best with their old line up. They are back and Kicking all other bands away with ease. They are easely on the Trash Throne Again....as if they never left
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
24.04.2008 - 19:08
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Testament > Metallica, Slayer, Exodus, Anthrax, Death Angel, Machine Head, Annihalator...
24.04.2008 - 20:46
andrejmy
Account deleted
Fantastic album. Professional work. The top thrash metal production by highly experienced metal musicians, fantastic drumming and perfect vocal performance by Chuck. For me one of the leading metal bands these days. Only 10 points is possible here !!
24.04.2008 - 22:31
Desertman
Account deleted
cant waittttttttttt!!!
25.04.2008 - 16:20
BrightNight
Written by Guest on 24.04.2008 at 20:46

Fantastic album. Professional work. The top thrash metal production by highly experienced metal musicians, fantastic drumming and perfect vocal performance by Chuck. For me one of the leading metal bands these days. Only 10 points is possible here !!

You are totally right
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
27.04.2008 - 18:36
Iced Angel
This is my favorite testament album. It's just great ... yeaaaaaaaah
27.04.2008 - 22:11
Harmonic
Account deleted
If it sounds like The Gathering then I'm in. Haven't seen it in any music stores yet, though...
28.04.2008 - 03:07
Iced Angel
Written by Guest on 27.04.2008 at 22:11

If it sounds like The Gathering then I'm in. Haven't seen it in any music stores yet, though...

it's kind of hard to say which one sounds better ... they both are great albums
this one is more "head bang worthy" though lol
28.04.2008 - 05:36
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Iced Angel on 28.04.2008 at 03:07

Written by Guest on 27.04.2008 at 22:11

it's kind of hard to say which one sounds better ... they both are great albums
this one is more "head bang worthy" though lol

Head bang worthy? Even better!

29.04.2008 - 04:15
Rating: 9
Dominus
The Shooter
Great Album!
29.04.2008 - 05:17
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I didn't listen to this album with high hopes, but I have to say that I was positively surprised... it's good to listen to good thrash albums in these years so poor for the genre.
29.04.2008 - 07:11
Metal George
Now that i have heard the title track i will get this album!
30.04.2008 - 15:23
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Good review,this is a awesome album!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
01.05.2008 - 14:19
Slaytan
Account deleted
10/10 album is AWESOMEE!!!!
02.05.2008 - 23:27
Caveman
A compact, powerful album. It's like Blackthor (see above) said, it sounds like a whole. Just love it.
25.05.2008 - 08:40
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.04.2008 at 11:09

7 at most for me for this one. Proficiently played but nothing shocking, totally devoid of any feeling and soul.

I agree with you on this There isn't anything I hate about the new album - I just don't care about anything in it. I feel like I've heard everything before. I think of this new album as "inoffensive thrash metal," which is not a good thing really.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
27.05.2008 - 05:58
wooten
Account deleted
I love this record all the way through. Great tunes, lyrics and melodies. Chuck's sounding better than ever too.
27.05.2008 - 06:03
Harmonic
Account deleted
Now that I've heard this album, I'll pass. It lacks the hard-driving intensity of Testament's better work. Age takes it toll yet again.

Hits total: 16450 | This month: 23