Metal Storm logo
Kirk Hammett vs Dave Mustaine solos

Original post

Posted by K✞ulu, 22.05.2008 - 11:30
I am a big Metallica fan, but... I have started listening to Megadeth recently, and I have discovered that Megadeth solos are just very different from Metallica. I find them generally more melodic (if this is the right word) while Metallica have a lot of very fast and technical leads. However, if speaking specifically about Kirk vs Dave, I must admit that their playing styles rather similar. There are some differences of course, but they are not that significant. As far as my favorite solos by the two guitarists, they are:

Kirk: Unforgiven, Master of Puppets, Through The Never, Fade To Black
Dave: Five Magics, Holy Wars, Wake Up Dead (2nd)

My vote goes to Kirk just because I find his solos more beautiful, and he has more of those that I really like besides then ones I mentioned.

When I talk about my favorite solos, I am usually guided by how well they fit into a song and by melody (speed is not that important).

Talk about your favorite solos, so that there is no milk and water in your posts and so that we know what you are guided by when you pick one guitarist over the other. So I would like to know your opinion about who is better and why, and... vote! But please don't expand this thread to Metallica vs Megadeth battle; it's not what it was meant to be. Solos, just solos.

Poll

Whose solos do you find better?

Dave
Kirk

Total votes: 296
22.12.2008 - 09:09
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 22.12.2008 at 08:55

Solos are mentioned on every re-release album, and Dave plays a shitloads of them, before friedman came to band.

That's correct. But what we are trying to find out here is whether Marty wrote any solos himself on RIP or whether they were all written by Dave. I think that Dave could not write those solos because if you compare every solo on RIP played by Dave with every solo played by Marty, you'll see the difference in structure. Marty's got his own style. I can always identify his solos.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
22.12.2008 - 11:20
Daniel
Dave. Straight up. Kirks are a joke.
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
22.12.2008 - 13:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 22.12.2008 at 09:09

Solos are mentioned on every re-release album, and Dave plays a shitloads of them, before friedman came to band.

That's correct. But what we are trying to find out here is whether Marty wrote any solos himself on RIP or whether they were all written by Dave. I think that Dave could not write those solos because if you compare every solo on RIP played by Dave with every solo played by Marty, you'll see the difference in structure. Marty's got his own style. I can always identify his solos.

Like I said a couple of posts back, Marty doesn't have a single writing credit on RIP It is only Dave and on some songsDave Jr. as well. So, what I think happened is... Dave wrote the solos and when come recording time Marty gave a twist of his own to them. And if I remember correctly from back in the day I read an interview just after RIP was released and there Dave says that everything was already written just before Marty and Nick joined the band.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.12.2008 - 14:06
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.12.2008 at 13:22

Like I said a couple of posts back, Marty doesn't have a single writing credit on RIP It is only Dave and on some songsDave Jr. as well. So, what I think happened is... Dave wrote the solos and when come recording time Marty gave a twist of his own to them. And if I remember correctly from back in the day I read an interview just after RIP was released and there Dave says that everything was already written just before Marty and Nick joined the band.

I think when it comes to writing credits, the fact that someone wrote a solo for a song does not appear to be enough reason to receive a credit for it, there are thousands of examples of how solos have definitely been written by musicians who have received no credits for the writing of the song. But we don't need to look far to see an example of this, pick up any metallica album and you will see most of the songs have no writing credits for Hammett even though we know he wrote the solo... One dude comes up with the song structure, works everything out and says "hey marty, chuck a solo in their approx 32 seconds long"... in that case the guitarist still wrote the solo but doesn't deserve any writing credits for the song. This seems to be the attitude of most bands, unless you think ulrich and hetfield wrote the solo for "One"

I don't think guitarists should receive writing credits for writing solos either. its about the song, if you want recognition for your solo put it in the footnotes. obviously this does not apply to yngwie malmsteen type music.

EDIT: PS. it is blatantly obvious, that the mustaine solos and the friedman solos were written by two different guitarists.
22.12.2008 - 17:47
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Stuart on 22.12.2008 at 14:06

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.12.2008 at 13:22

I think when it comes to writing credits, the fact that someone wrote a solo for a song does not appear to be enough reason to receive a credit for it, there are thousands of examples of how solos have definitely been written by musicians who have received no credits for the writing of the song. But we don't need to look far to see an example of this, pick up any metallica album and you will see most of the songs have no writing credits for Hammett even though we know he wrote the solo... One dude comes up with the song structure, works everything out and says "hey marty, chuck a solo in their approx 32 seconds long"... in that case the guitarist still wrote the solo but doesn't deserve any writing credits for the song. This seems to be the attitude of most bands, unless you think ulrich and hetfield wrote the solo for "One"

I don't think guitarists should receive writing credits for writing solos either. its about the song, if you want recognition for your solo put it in the footnotes. obviously this does not apply to yngwie malmsteen type music.

EDIT: PS. it is blatantly obvious, that the mustaine solos and the friedman solos were written by two different guitarists.

Thank you very much for reasonable thinking. I was also thinking about the Hammett example. Good point anyway. And the P.S. was really crucial.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

26.12.2008 - 20:38
megatherium
Account deleted
I don't deny that Mustaine also played solos, I just think his solos weren't as good as the other guitarists Megadeth has had. Dave Mustaine takes serious care in selecting guitarists for his band. He spent like two weeks making sure Chris Broderick would be a good fit before having him take over for Drover recently.
13.03.2009 - 02:21
Toast
Account deleted
Kirk is very over-rated imo, probably one of the most over-rated guitarists in metal. The majority of his solos are fairly slow/boring for my taste, but hey that's just me lol.

Megadeth however is another story. I really like the guitar work and solos in their early albums like Peace Sells, so Mustaine gets my vote.
15.03.2009 - 13:32
ToMegaTherion
This I believe to be a good contest. And one that could certainly go either way in the voting because in terms of guitar solo's both are a close match. Kirk get my vote on solo's alone, however with reguards to all round guitar playing Dave has much better timing, rhythm and above all riff's. In all of these area's except guitar solo's Dave Mustaine dances note circle's all around Kirk Hammet.
06.04.2009 - 09:15
Brave
Those two are both my favourite.
But i more like Dave Mustaine's solo
07.04.2009 - 09:45
Cliff 'em all
Account deleted
I think Dave is a better guitar player then Kirk, even though Metallica is my favorite band, so I voted Dave.
Doesn't mean Kirk is bad, he's a great guy and a fantastic guitar player. I really love his bluesy influences he brings to Tallica.
Also I voted for Dave because in Metallica most riffs and solos are written by James so he deserves credit too.
In Megadeth it's pretty much about Mustaine alone.
07.04.2009 - 17:13
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 07.04.2009 at 09:45

Also I voted for Dave because in Metallica most riffs and solos are written by James so he deserves credit too.

In Metallica most riffs are written by James, but most solos are written and played by Kirk, so you are wrong here. And did you read the first post (the bold&underlined part)? And this actually concerns most people who posted here.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

07.04.2009 - 18:04
Cliff 'em all
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 07.04.2009 at 17:13

Written by Guest on 07.04.2009 at 09:45

In Metallica most riffs are written by James, but most solos are written and played by Kirk, so you are wrong here. And did you read the first post (the bold&underlined part)? And this actually concerns most people who posted here.

Yeh i noticed after I posted, so sorry bout that :p. But again i'm talking mainly kea-black album stuff here, and during this era james almost wrote all the riffs, but yeh purely solo-speaking Kirk nearly wrote every one, except maybe for the middle one in puppets and the end solo in nothing else matters I guess.
12.04.2009 - 14:01
RockeRoy
Kirks solos are the moast memerobale, maybe mustain is a little more skillfull, but i would say Kirk winns this battle with a little bit.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
17.04.2009 - 14:06
TormentoR.
Fuck, im sick of these META VS MEGA's topics they re EVERYWHERE!! hahahah

But yea, my vote goes to Dave as always
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
07.05.2009 - 03:36
Wikerman
Account deleted
Written by TormentoR. on 17.04.2009 at 14:06

As am I.

Both guitar players are Great. Dave is locked into the "Mustaine from Megadeth" style of soloing, atacking the guitar with unbridled fury. He can undoubtedly play brilliant solos. You get a glimpse of his ability with songs like She Wolf, Lucreatia , Black Curtians, etc. Take a listen to some of the rhythms he plays, isolate it and its a solo.

My vote is for Dave.
07.05.2009 - 14:33
TormentoR.
Written by Guest on 07.05.2009 at 03:36

Written by TormentoR. on 17.04.2009 at 14:06

As am I

Both guitar players are Great. Dave is locked into the "Mustaine from Megadeth" style of soloing, atacking the guitar with unbridled fury. He can undoubtedly play brilliant solos. You get a glimpse of his ability with songs like She Wolf, Lucreatia , Black Curtians, etc. Take a listen to some of the rhythms he plays, isolate it and its a solo.

My vote is for Dave.

+ hes sexy haha just kiding. Dave is the man!
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
11.05.2009 - 12:22
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 03.11.2008 at 21:04

To be honest I like em both pretty much the same, but Alex Skolnick rips them in half...

Man, I was listening to The New Order a few days ago, and I was really thrilled by Skolnick's solos, and then I recalled about this post of yours, and I must say you're probably quite right (even if this is a bit off-topic).
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

11.05.2009 - 12:36
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Mustaine is a better guitarist but hammets solos are much better. metallica has some really great melodic solos.

the solo on ride the lightning is magnificent!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
13.10.2009 - 18:12
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Dave is the best metal guitarist in the world according to a book by Joel Mciver.and i agree with him as Dave has always been under-rated n both the rhythm and lead guitar spectrum.and he poured out hid frustration in the some kind of monster doc.rightly so.Kirk i believe is a shadow of his former self.Kirk would have never been what he is today without Dave.Remember Kirk worked on Dave's solos on KEA and refined it.
07.11.2009 - 17:38
SatyriconChick
Kirk. He is more fluid with his solos, and less erratic, and they just sound more melodic. I'm not going to diss Dave Mustaine, because he's great, but to be honest, during the Friedman/Menza lineup, I always liked Marty's solos better than Dave's. But with Kirk and Dave, I just compare their solos in Kill 'Em All songs or in general on Metallica and Megadeth albums, and it's always been Kirk I've found a better guitar soloist.
13.11.2009 - 22:09
Razorback
I voted Kirk,Dave is great guitarist too,but Kirk has some special sence for music,when you listening his solos every tone is on the best possible place,and he is very creative,he knows how to put emotion and energy into solos, i am always touched when i hear it even if i heard it meny times.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
14.11.2009 - 02:16
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Kirk.

Dave is a good player, but his soloing style is incredibly limited. As a guitar player myself, I can attest to the fact that Kirk's solos are harder to play. In spite of the fact some idiots say "Kirk isn't a good guitar player". Kirk can play good melodic and balladic solos, as well as the more crazy stuff. Wheras Dave can only really play good chaotic solos. And when he does play melodic leads, they are usually simplistic. Or at least they are compared to Kirk's. I don't get me wrong, I think Dave is a great guitarist, but he is not better than Kirk.
17.11.2009 - 07:19
IronBlackZepp
Well I picked Kirk because I just cant get enough of some of his solos. Plus I have been a Metallica fan longer, they were the second metal band I got into after Black Sabbath, and it would be a while before I would get into any others. So I know his solos better, but their is just something about them as well. Dont get me wrong Dave is great as well, but solo's on songs like Ride the Lightning and Fade to Black are hard to beat.
17.11.2009 - 13:19
Warman
Erotic Stains
Funny thing about me is that I am a rabid Metallica fanboy. But their solos have never appealed to me, at least not considering the amount of them. Sure there are some stand out ones, but overall... nah.
----
12.12.2009 - 06:39
sbgmetal
Well i see it that both released awesome solos! but c'mon now kirk does awesome solos like in 4 album tops... while dave has been doin awesome solos for many more cds...
24.01.2010 - 02:45
thewall30
Ha this is an easy one, Dave Mustaine all the way! Kirk's also pretty insane at solos but just not as Dave...

Some of Dave's solos are just ridiculous! For example: Tornado Of Souls, Rattlehead, etc. their just all amazing!
----
24.01.2010 - 22:12
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by thewall30 on 24.01.2010 at 02:45

Ha this is an easy one, Dave Mustaine all the way! Kirk's also pretty insane at solos but just not as Dave...

Some of Dave's solos are just ridiculous! For example: Tornado Of Souls, Rattlehead, etc. their just all amazing!

Dude, Marty plays the solo on Tornado of Souls...
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

25.01.2010 - 03:18
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by K✞ulu on 24.01.2010 at 22:12

Yeah, I think a lot of people don't realize that. Kirk is so much better if you just look at that.
25.01.2010 - 15:29
macraigma
I voted Kirk, for his technique of course.
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
25.01.2010 - 16:07
thewall30
Written by K✞ulu on 24.01.2010 at 22:12

Well thank you for pointing that out................ still Dave is a beast!

O and another thing, Dave has to sing all the vocals while playing some crazy ass riffs and solos, while Kirk is just the lead guitarist.

Nothing against Kirk I'm just saying Dave has to do a little more than Kirk does...
----