08. Streets Of Tomorrow
09. Evil Warning
10. Lasting Child
    1 - The Parting Words
    2 - Renaissance
11. Evil Warning [edited version] [bonus]
12. Angels Cry [remixed version] [bonus]
13. Carry On [remixed version] [bonus]

1994. When one first get in touch with the bases of Metal, some country names clearly emerge such as Germany, Sweden and the USA. But very soon, these list expands to other lands and if Brazil doesn't come to one's mind at first [at least for Europeans], bands like Sepultura back then in the 90s made themselves a worldwide fame and soon after another Brazilian phenomenon known as Angra broke through the European Heavy/Power Metal scene with their acclaimed debut release, "Angels Cry".

Recorded and engineered in Germany by master Sascha Paeth, the first effort from the Sao Paulo-based combo quickly conquered fans throughout the old continent, mainly due to their original style, groundbreaking songwriting and flawless production. The leader of the band, extraordinaire singer and talented pianist Andre Matos, along with the duo of guitar players Kiko Loureiro and Rafael Bittencourt was the core of the band.

While the CD's cover could have been the most appealing thing at first, memorable songs confered "Angels Cry" its status of cult album. The powerful 'Carry On', which is still regarded as Angra's finest composition by some, and excellent acoustic guitar work coupled with the beautiful voice of Andre on 'Time' and 'Stand Away' come to mind as highlights. It wouldn't make this record justice to resume it to these three songs though, as lots of efforts and different influences were put into track such as 'Evil Warning' or 'Angels Cry'.

A touch of progressive elements, a pinch of folk elements and a hint of orchestration here and there, this debut album has the merit to try diverse and daring things. They even went as far as recording a cover of Kate Bush's 'Wuthering Heights' and you have to hear it to believe it, but Andre Matos is actually doing a good job if you consider that it was written to be sung by a woman. While it isn't an essential track on the record, it's still fun and if you aren't bipolar when it comes to your music, you may even like it yourself!

"Angels Cry" has a couple of somewhat experimental songs such as 'Never Understand' and 'Streets Of Tomorrow' but none of them are as powerful as the delightful 'Evil Warning'. Finally, the album end on a quieter note with the piano-led 'The Lasting Child', during which Andre Matos is once again showcasing his talents as a singer.

Although Ricardo Confessori already appeared in the booklet as Angra's drummer, the drums were performed by Alex Holzwarth, future drummer of the band Rhapsody. As usual when Sascha Paeth is producing, lots of guests are credited on the album among which Kai Hansen [of Helloween/Gamma Ray/Iron Savior fame] and? Sascha himself.

The results are in, "Angels Cry" is an incredible release for a first album, and it's part of the great success that Angra knew before their split. It doesn't stand the test against their following famous release, "Holy Land", but it remains a solid effort.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 26.08.2003 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Guest review by
hottercraft
Rating:
If we look in the Metal world, we won't find a lot of well-known Brazilian bands... but there are two bands that almost every Metal fan knows: Sepultura and Angra. Angra is probably lesser-known than Sepultura, but in my opinion they're definitely better.

There are two types of Power Metal: the one which is powerful, thrashy and the one which is melodic and beautiful. Obviously, Angra plays the second type of Power Metal. They have really great melodic songs along all their discography, but here I will talk only about "Angels Cry". Angels Cry is a good album, there's no doubt about it. The best things in this album are probably the rhythm changes and the great melodies. They are playing a beautiful and slow ballad but...surprise!! They suddenly turn up the intensity of the song and you can hear a completely different song in the time of 30 seconds, it's great!! I love these rhythm changes, specially in "Stand Away", which is probably the best song of this album. It has an awesome and really progressive and melodic interlude.

Read more ››
published 13.04.2008 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 62 users
22.06.2006 - 04:46
Pianoman
Account deleted
Awesome album it desearves a 10! A truely masterpiece!
For me its the third best album of Angra. The second is Temple of Shadows and obviously the first its Holy Land I recommend it for every taster of the good power/prog metal.

The Highlights of angels cry are: Carry on, Angels cry, time

The best: Never understand, stand away, evil warning
03.09.2006 - 19:11
Rating: 9
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Thomas Nack from Iron Savior/Gamma Ray plays the drums on Wuthering Heights
31.10.2006 - 19:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
dammit the wuthering heights cover sucks so much!!!!but their drummer is among the best i have heard(i don't know his name,but he's got three arms)
01.11.2006 - 02:30
Baz Anderson
Staff
the very first time i heard this i couldnt get over that they had covered 'Wuthering Heights' and how cool that was
but i have lsitened to the album many many times now and know it very well indeed, and i can say it is probably my second favorite Angra album only behind 'Temple Of Shadows'
almost every track on this album is fantastic!
31.03.2007 - 11:19
Grey_Dandelion
the wuthering heights cover is excellent....this album is a must-have....brilliant
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
13.11.2007 - 02:47
fat.n
This angra's debut is absolutely a masterpiece, melodious music and their godly main singer ,I really love this ablum, this piece could be listened again and again, never be bored.
05.03.2008 - 23:34
Rating: 8
Evil Chip
One of angra's best album with temple and holy land, andre matos was in goop shape here though he still sounds great in his solo album. The best songs are carry on, wuthering heights, stand away and never understand.
27.11.2008 - 15:09
Rating: 7
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Really good debut album by Angra, 4 or 5 good tracks
10.04.2009 - 12:42
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Perfect begining for a band that would become the greatest brazilian band ever.

''Wuthering Heights'' feels really weird at the begining, but its easy to enjoy after some listened. ''Time'', ''Evil Warning'' and ''Lasting Child'' are my favorite tracks...

Its really not easy to find something to criticize about Angra's work, but ''Never Understand'' end up really boring despite being the only song with folkloric influence (and it's possible to see some similarity with Holy Land).
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
23.02.2011 - 23:34
BlankFile
It´s a classic in this kind of Metal. One of the best Angra cd´s, altough some of the screams of André Matos are annoying in some parts...

Hits total: 9451 | This month: 16