Metal Storm logo
Bands you discovered at concerts

Original post

Posted by Warman, 06.08.2008 - 21:34
Please stop me if there's a similar thread.

Yeah, so we have already talked about bands we discovered here at Metal Storm. But what about great bands you first heard at a concert? An opening band or maybe even the headliners (if you by any chance just came for the openers).

For me, the most important surely is Deathstars. I was at the Cradle of Filth concert in Gothenburg and Deathstars were the opening band. I had only heard Cyanide before that, and didn't really listen to it. Why should I have? They looked so damn emo and I instantly thought "not another Marilyn Manson band". But at the concert the band blew me away already with the first song, Tounges. I thought it was so damn good, but felt a little ashamed since all the small girls (typical "emo-fjortisar" as we call them here in Sweden) knew all the lyrics. So I took a look at my friend and saw him moving his head to the music. So I carefully said: "This is kinda good". And he thought so too. When "Play God" came I knew I just had to buy the album ASAP! Good thing I did, today I hold Termination Bliss among my favourites.

What more do we have? Evile at the Megadeth concert were awesome, but I rather complete my Slayer discography first. Mastodon and One Man Army & the Undead Quartet are also great bands I discovered at concerts. The most important after Deathstars is certainly Sepultura at an In Flames show. I had just heard some bad samples from them and thought they sucked. But when they opened up with Refuse/Resist I knew that it was a band for me. Especially since I really recognized the song but couldn't figure out where I had heard it before. Very annoying, I could hum along to the whole song. After a while I realised that Apocalyptica had made a cover of it.
15.12.2009 - 03:51
Sonic MrSumo
Cancer Bats...from Canada. Just good hard rock / punk.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
18.12.2009 - 19:36
Don Martin
le fu-
I heard of them and checked out their myspace but I really first discovered Vader when going to see a Deicide show, I really liked Piotr's voice which is quite comprehensible and simultaneously very loud and brutal!
----
What a tackastrophe!
19.12.2009 - 04:25
Averse Sefira just simply amazing and they sound a whole lot better live then their recordings
----
As if they were tearing through my flesh, it was embedded in my mind
That Jesus died for me... How foolish can they be
19.12.2009 - 23:17
I_Die_Often
Turned on to so many bands that opened for others.
Most recently Obscurra opening for Cannibal Corpse.
Also from the past...
Machine Head, Def Tones and Coal Chamber, all who opened for Pantera

Many openers I have realized I don't need to listen to...
Like The Faceless, they have opened twice and I just can't get into them.
I will do NuMetal, but I can't handle the screamo-emo stuff!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
20.12.2009 - 01:05
The Shape
I discovered the Deftones at the first concert i went to.
----
21.12.2009 - 01:07
I_Die_Often
Written by The Shape on 20.12.2009 at 01:05

I discovered the Deftones at the first concert i went to.

Love The DefTones! Seen them twice now!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
21.12.2009 - 04:16
The Shape
Yeah man they were really good. Before the concert i had heard of them, but never actually heard their music. Glad I went to that show!!
----
07.11.2010 - 00:59
vangosh
Bigelf, good stuff!
07.11.2010 - 17:09
moe5512
Kiuas, Hevisaurus ( ) , gojira, all that remains, amorphis (not really but i started to like them after i saw them live),
08.11.2010 - 22:25
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I saw goatwhore and baptized in blood live and now i love them both.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.11.2010 - 22:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Dangerboner on 03.10.2008 at 01:45

hmm I can't really remember much. In a lot of cases, I check out the band before they play, but the bands that I can think of that I knew pretty much nothing about that impressed me are Warbringer, HMP, Bestial Incarnation, Severed Savior, Desolation, Embryonic Devourment, Suicide Silence, Witchburn, Wild Orchid Children, and maybe one or two more.

It's really strange when one second no one knows anything about a band, and then their popularity shoots up overnight because of a certain tour, and you begin seeing their albums in mainstream CD stores. Take Warbringer and Suicide Silence for example...

or the Faceless
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.12.2010 - 00:02
JD
Account deleted
Blaakyum
05.01.2011 - 09:01
Jim Fear
First heard a band called Long Distance Calling at a Katatonia gig. Good stuff.
10.01.2011 - 16:23
heresiarch
Forever Dead
2009 Jalometalli festival I found Rage , Peavy Wagner is one charismatic performer , he really love to be on stage

Just 4 months ago I saw Primal Fear on stage , damn those germans can do heavy metal
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
14.01.2011 - 00:05
Zenzero
Zenzero
Pain.... At the Nightwish's concert in Milan! Amazing!
14.01.2011 - 10:51
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 14.01.2011 at 05:12

The singer from BBB spent the last hour and a half hitting on my friend, which we will continue to tease her about forever.

From what I've heard, she's not the only one.

Apparently he does that a lot.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
14.01.2011 - 19:56
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 14.01.2011 at 19:21

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 14.01.2011 at 10:51

The singer from BBB spent the last hour and a half hitting on my friend, which we will continue to tease her about forever.

Response

A whole bunch of musicians are apparently very good at this. Heard some stories about Vital Remains too, for example. Can't blame them though. What would you do if you had some female fans?

I'd also say that only making a few moves on a girl is something there's nothing inherently wrong with. If you don't take no for an answer though, then you're probably a latent homo.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
14.01.2011 - 21:08
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 14.01.2011 at 19:56

Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 14.01.2011 at 19:21

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 14.01.2011 at 10:51

Response

A whole bunch of musicians are apparently very good at this. Heard some stories about Vital Remains too, for example. Can't blame them though. What would you do if you had some female fans?

I'd also say that only making a few moves on a girl is something there's nothing inherently wrong with. If you don't take no for an answer though, then you're probably a latent homo.

Blegh
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
25.06.2011 - 07:30
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Skeletonwitch, Black Label Society and a band I'm growing rather fond of: Hail the Villain.
25.06.2011 - 22:53
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
I went to see Deicide and Vital Remains at a bar a couple years ago. Order of Ennead played with them. Had no clue who they were until that show, fucking amazing band.
25.06.2011 - 22:58
Void Eater
Account deleted
I found out about Malevolent Creation, now my favorite death metal band, by seeing them open for Exodus. I also discovered Vader and God Dethroned by seeing them open for Overkill. Great bands, helped me get into extreme metal.
25.06.2011 - 23:24
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.06.2011 at 22:58

I found out about Malevolent Creation, now my favorite death metal band, by seeing them open for Exodus. I also discovered Vader and God Dethroned by seeing them open for Overkill. Great bands, helped me get into extreme metal.

What was your experience with the Vader discovery?
22.05.2012 - 15:44
Amorphis and Finntroll
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
23.05.2012 - 03:21
Thrashette
I discovered Wolven Ancestry when I saw them with Negura Bunget. They're one of the best Canadian bands in my opinion.
23.05.2012 - 04:40
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Never heard Melvins until i went to see Isis
----
08.10.2013 - 10:24
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I'll just list them off here:

Coheed and Cambria - Iron Maiden Concert
Stolen Babies - Katatonia/Paradise Lost/Devin Townsend Concert
Varg - Wintersun Concert
Sadism - Xanthochroid Concert
Bestial Slaughter - Xanthochroid Concert
Vesterian - Xanthochroid Concert
Through These Gates - Xanthochroid Concert
Helen Money - Agalloch Concert
Worm Ouroboros - Agalloch Concert
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.10.2013 - 12:18
Guib
Thrash Talker
Basically... Revocation, Barn Burner, Insurrection and Skeletonwitch... that I can think of.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
08.10.2013 - 13:04
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I don't know if I mentioned this before, but the last one I discovered was a Portuguese band called "Last One Standing", they played like an interesting tech death type of thing from what I can remember and it was very entertaining. It was a lot of months ago but I just remembered that now. It was a local gig here, so it was surprising.

Another good band I discovered in Moita Metal fest was Atentado, really bad/destructive for your ears, but amazing stuff.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
19.10.2013 - 08:53
MockTheCross
A big one for me was Decrepit Birth. As they've become one of my favorite bands of all time. Their performance completely blew my mind. I felt like Bill was reaching into my soul. The dude is insane on stage but chill and cool off stage.
30.10.2013 - 14:53
Jtbmetal123
I saw Gemini Syndrome live and I was blown away. I had to check them out.