14. Scorpion Flower [cut][limited edition bonus]

Disc II [Live In Wacken Open Air DVD]
01. Finisterra
02. Memento Mori
03. Blood Tells
+ Finisterra [video]
+ Luna [video]
+ Finisterra [making of the video]

Moonspell has really been gaining popularity over the few years and luckily the good way.
Memorial was a fine album and explored new borders for Moonspell's musical direction and they even managed to win an MTV award with it!
Followed later with a release of their reworked demo which was an nice snack for the wait of their next album.

Night Eternal, the name already sounds pretty cliché but never judge a book by its cover and even clichés can be enjoyable when done right. Bitter disappointment got me later when I was finally listening to the album and the judgement based on the cover turned out to be correct, Night eternal is cliché. Unfortunately a sloppy one as well, the keyboards are terribly corny and the guitars sound uninspired and weak you can hear it painfully well during the opening track "At Tragic Heights". Fernando also tries to cover up the lack of originality by pulling off catchy grunts during many songs and it gets old very quickly.

The cheese factor also reaches new heights with "Scorpion Flower" this terribly over the top cliché cornball of a song doesn't do any justice to Anneke van Giersbergen's sweet voice.
The album finally gets a solid base at the end of "Dreamless" how obvious it is in the name? - it has this nice well built up dreamy atmosphere. "Spring of Rage" continues the solid base and it's a good song, but the best is the closing track "First Light" where everything turns out perfectly and invokes the typical dark Moonspell atmosphere which we all love.
Too bad it's just 1 song among 2 other good songs and the rest average to bad.

Overall Night Eternal is a bitter disappointment and an average sloppy album. Moonspell have to get back to the drawing table and reconsider their choices for the next album.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 7

Written by VPeter | 11.08.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Jeff
Rating:
Since the album "Memorial", I think that everybody considers that Moonspell is definitely back to the top of the best of the best of the Metal scene. This album is considered as one of the best releases of the combo and since that day everybody was waiting for a great new release. We had the chance to listen to last year the re-edition of old songs through "Under Satanae" but now the time to talk about the new original release of Moonspell is coming. "Night Eternal", the new Moonspell is in my hand and luckily, one more time we will not be disappointed!

Read more ››
published 02.06.2008 | Comments (38)

Comments

Comments: 56   Visited by: 234 users
18.08.2008 - 17:56
Rating: 7
Lone Reaper
Agree. My rating is 6.8. I think, this album souns like just an average album of average metal band...
24.08.2008 - 16:27
Rating: 9
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
You're the first person I know of that didn't like the album, I've seen nothing but positive reviews elsewhere, and I totally disagree this album is uninspired or unoriginal - it's cohesive, it's not derivative, it's Moonspell doing Metal with no strings attached. I really can't think of any recent Gothic album that sounds as powerful and well written as this one, Moonspell is second to none in the genre.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
24.08.2008 - 19:30
VPeter
Written by Passenger on 24.08.2008 at 16:27

You're the first person I know of that didn't like the album, I've seen nothing but positive reviews elsewhere, and I totally disagree this album is uninspired or unoriginal - it's cohesive, it's not derivative, it's Moonspell doing Metal with no strings attached. I really can't think of any recent Gothic album that sounds as powerful and well written as this one, Moonspell is second to none in the genre.

There are some people here who also agree with me. I can think of some: Type O Negative - Dead Again a great mix of Goth metal with Doom, Thrash metal, Industrial elements and punk hardcore and all well balanced. while Night eternal is poorly written and has a sloppy performance only the the last 3 songs fall in place and sound well. recent Tiamat, Paradise Lost and The Vision Bleak are better as well.
25.08.2008 - 23:24
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Written by VPeter on 24.08.2008 at 19:30

Written by Passenger on 24.08.2008 at 16:27

There are some people here who also agree with me. I can think of some: Type O Negative - Dead Again a great mix of Goth metal with Doom, Thrash metal, Industrial elements and punk hardcore and all well balanced. while Night eternal is poorly written and has a sloppy performance only the the last 3 songs fall in place and sound well. recent Tiamat, Paradise Lost and The Vision Bleak are better as well.

Those albums pale in comparison to Night Eternal, but to each his own
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
25.08.2008 - 23:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Well, it is not often that I agree with Tir but in this case I do. Okay I wouldn't say that Type O Negative - Dead Again was a great album though.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.09.2008 - 14:05
Mull666
night eternal is cliche in only one way...[cue cliche] if it aint broken dont fix it. they are following the same formula as memorial as well as wolfheart! if you listen closely all these albums have similar sound and feel, none of the bizarre loose shit released in the middle of their career...what im trying to say is that this album is excellent by an excellent band and i think critics aka tir should do better then criticise just for the sake of it or rephrased because its 'popular'. to end, if you like memorial or wolfheart buy NE and enjoy
05.09.2008 - 14:38
VPeter
Written by Mull666 on 05.09.2008 at 14:05

night eternal is cliche in only one way...[cue cliche] if it aint broken dont fix it. they are following the same formula as memorial as well as wolfheart! if you listen closely all these albums have similar sound and feel, none of the bizarre loose shit released in the middle of their career...what im trying to say is that this album is excellent by an excellent band and i think critics aka tir should do better then criticise just for the sake of it or rephrased because its 'popular'. to end, if you like memorial or wolfheart buy NE and enjoy

If you actually read the review, then you should know that it is also an cliche preformed badly to mediocore. The keyboards are set way to high, the drums sound flat and boring and the guitars weak and the vocals repeat it self with catchy grunts "NNNNNNIIIIGGGHHHTTTT ETERRRRNNNNAAAL!, MMMMMOOOONNNN INNNN MEEEECURY! at TRAAGGGIICCC HHHHEEIIGTHSS" Memorial toned the(some of it) Gothic cliches down and had way better performance. And no, I liked Wolfheart and Memorial but did not enjoy Night eternal in the slightest.
Oh yeah, I like many popular music such as the Gorillaz so saying that I bash Night Eternal because of it's popularity falls to not.
12.09.2008 - 06:22
konstans
Account deleted
I think there is some a misunderstanding here it's a ridiculous to give this album 5.5 I almost didn't buy this album because of this but review from my experience people don't listen what they say just listen yourself and make your own judgment this is not the best album of the year by the think is very good I am glad that I haven't I agree with Jeff 100% who is this tir na nog he is a musician if he is maybe he can hear things that we don't I found everything very normal and that's how metal music sounds and that's why I love it
24.09.2008 - 10:52
Mull666
Written by VPeter on 05.09.2008 at 14:38

Written by Mull666 on 05.09.2008 at 14:05

If you actually read the review, then you should know that it is also an cliche preformed badly to mediocore. The keyboards are set way to high, the drums sound flat and boring and the guitars weak and the vocals repeat it self with catchy grunts "NNNNNNIIIIGGGHHHTTTT ETERRRRNNNNAAAL!, MMMMMOOOONNNN INNNN MEEEECURY! at TRAAGGGIICCC HHHHEEIIGTHSS" Memorial toned the(some of it) Gothic cliches down and had way better performance. And no, I liked Wolfheart and Memorial but did not enjoy Night eternal in the slightest.
Oh yeah, I like many popular music such as the Gorillaz so saying that I bash Night Eternal because of it's popularity falls to not.

What you say is fair enough i guess but i still enjoyed it so if you liked memorial, give NE a try and if you dont like it dont buy it
24.09.2008 - 18:36
Mr.Wilson
How can someone rate an album like this 5.8?..it's ridiculous, i am not an often participant here in metalstorm but sadly i realized that some people here dis everything that is popular, if a band it's popular it sucks.Okay the underground is good but there are lots of popular bands that are very good, Moonspell is the case, i have seen worst albums here with higher ratings, And if you want to think it is cheesy, everything in the Gothic scene is too, all are based in cliches , darkness, beauty, despair are all common themes. I think this album is well written, with very inspired guitar riffs, with a beauty atmosphere and it's a logic extension of Memorial,and as a Portuguese man i am damn proud of this album in spite of some arrogant people say, they wish to do better.In conclusion this review shows why the reviewer is not an official reviewer of metalstorm, because is nonobjective, and it's solely based in his disgust for the album and the review by all means don't represent the album at all, as far as i am concerned this review is pointless.I am studying to be a journalist and i know that a good critic/journalist has to be objective, focus and and more important Professional, and i don't see those things in this review.This is an excellent album
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
24.09.2008 - 19:18
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Gosh, seriously, yea.... I mean, Moonspell, popular?! I know like... 5 people who know who Moonspell are and they all heard it from me!

I mean yea, Night Eternal hits off right where Memorial started but it does it DAMN FREAKING AMAZING.

Fuck cliches and darkness and all that crap; there's more copycat gothic bands out there that STDs and luckily Moonspell remain there with their own sound. Nonetheless, I loved Memorial so much when it came out and I still do; it's the same with Night Eternal. The songs have great melodies and I have always loved that specific Moonspell sound, combining rawness and sophisticated ambientalism with more tender melodies.

So I say: Night Eternal Definately far from 5.8, more like 8.5
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
24.09.2008 - 19:29
VPeter
Written by Mr.Wilson on 24.09.2008 at 18:36

How can someone rate an album like this 5.8?..it's ridiculous, i am not an often participant here in metalstorm but sadly i realized that some people here dis everything that is popular, if a band it's popular it sucks.Okay the underground is good but there are lots of popular bands that are very good, Moonspell is the case, i have seen worst albums here with higher ratings, And if you want to think it is cheesy, everything in the Gothic scene is too, all are based in cliches , darkness, beauty, despair are all common themes. I think this album is well written, with very inspired guitar riffs, with a beauty atmosphere and it's a logic extension of Memorial,and as a Portuguese man i am damn proud of this album in spite of some arrogant people say, they wish to do better.In conclusion this review shows why the reviewer is not an official reviewer of metalstorm, because is nonobjective, and it's solely based in his disgust for the album and the review by all means don't represent the album at all, as far as i am concerned this review is pointless.I am studying to be a journalist and i know that a good critic/journalist has to be objective, focus and and more important Professional, and i don't see those things in this review.This is an excellent album

For the 835235252 time learn to read! I don't bash it for the sake of it being popular, I listen to The Gorillaz and Micheal Jackson for christ sake. Has to be objective? ha! in your biased Moonspell fanboy book it means rating every Moonspell a high grade. It also comes clear that you know absolutely nothing about the Gothic scene if you claim EVERYTHING is cheesy/cliche. Since when does NE suck? I gave it a 5,8 which becomes a 6 - a decent score. if it sucked it would get a 4 or lower. If you are trying to become a good critic/journalist keep on studying, since your biased post is clear proof you need a lot of improvement.
23.10.2008 - 02:49
amo_del_merol
Totally agree with psychopeth! non professional work in this review ... should be banned from metalstorm ... pointless to even read it. a good reviewer accepts criticism and i don't see that in any of the comments, but whatever die bitter it's your choice ... we all will continue loving NE! in spite of lame reviews ... lamo
----
... let evil rise ...
23.10.2008 - 14:44
VPeter
Written by amo_del_merol on 23.10.2008 at 02:49

Totally agree with psychopeth! non professional work in this review ... should be banned from metalstorm ... pointless to even read it. a good reviewer accepts criticism and i don't see that in any of the comments, but whatever die bitter it's your choice ... we all will continue loving NE! in spite of lame reviews ... lamo

pointless is your comment. this review is unbiased, if I hated moonspell I would give it a low grade. I already have said a 4234234312 times my reasons to you mindless Moonspell fanboys. And it is very clear you are one. if you have seen the comments, the admin agrees with me - so I highly doubt it will be banned. And a good reader will give good criticism and not biased up the arse pathetic, useless fanboy criticism. Any other Moonspell fanboy who wants to show his biased opinion? please do, these kind of comments really make me laugh.
23.10.2008 - 23:10
Elio
Red Nightmare
I check this review at least once a week cause all the comments, and especially the reviewers' answers are great!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
24.10.2008 - 00:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Okay to those who want it banned... why the hell would we want a well-balenced review to be banned, just because you fns disagree? Come one,,, here is a review which states why it thinks it isn't a good album and all you fanboys/girls can do is cry and run to mummy.
For bands fanboys/girls are actually a bad thing cause they always think no matter what a band records it is fucking great.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.10.2008 - 05:00
amo_del_merol
Written by VPeter on 23.10.2008 at 14:44

pointless is your comment. this review is unbiased, if I hated moonspell I would give it a low grade. I already have said a 4234234312 times my reasons to you mindless Moonspell fanboys. And it is very clear you are one. if you have seen the comments, the admin agrees with me - so I highly doubt it will be banned. And a good reader will give good criticism and not biased up the arse pathetic, useless fanboy criticism. Any other Moonspell fanboy who wants to show his biased opinion? please do, these kind of comments really make me laugh.

fanboy ? LOL dude you've got issues, better go and listen some michael jackson, or even better start reviewing his work, probably you'll do a better job
----
... let evil rise ...
29.10.2008 - 12:05
VPeter
Written by amo_del_merol on 29.10.2008 at 05:00

fanboy ? LOL dude you've got issues, better go and listen some michael jackson, or even better start reviewing his work, probably you'll do a better job

Thanks for your uber stupid reply again only showing again your a fanboy in denial now please buzz off because I sure as hell won't take you serious.
05.11.2008 - 01:19
amo_del_merol
Written by VPeter on 29.10.2008 at 12:05

Written by amo_del_merol on 29.10.2008 at 05:00

Thanks for your uber stupid reply again only showing again your a fanboy in denial now please buzz off because I sure as hell won't take you serious.

lame
----
... let evil rise ...
09.11.2008 - 13:21
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
People need to chill out a little bit, damn. Does someone else's opinion really hurt you that much? This review is perfect and hits the nail exactly on the head... hackneyed recycling bin.

Let's just ban everyone who doesn't stick to reviewing their favorite albums with 10s, that way it will save time and we don't even have to read them!
11.11.2008 - 00:18
Rating: 8
Morphis
This album rocks and im happy that it follow the same style as Memorial. Most of the reviews i've seen are saying positive things about the album. But for me reviews means nothing. What counts is what turns us on and Moonspell latest work definily hits the spot.
11.11.2008 - 11:32
DanielViking
Written by AnGina-- on 24.09.2008 at 19:18

Gosh, seriously, yea.... I mean, Moonspell, popular?! I know like... 5 people who know who Moonspell are and they all heard it from me!

I mean yea, Night Eternal hits off right where Memorial started but it does it DAMN FREAKING AMAZING.

Fuck cliches and darkness and all that crap; there's more copycat gothic bands out there that STDs and luckily Moonspell remain there with their own sound. Nonetheless, I loved Memorial so much when it came out and I still do; it's the same with Night Eternal. The songs have great melodies and I have always loved that specific Moonspell sound, combining rawness and sophisticated ambientalism with more tender melodies.

So I say: Night Eternal Definately far from 5.8, more like 8.5

she said it all... i would say more, IMO, one of the best albuns of the year, 10 to be nice.
02.12.2008 - 18:44
Hentges
Account deleted
Why the reviewer need this space too? Let the amateurs fight, please!
13.12.2008 - 01:32
Rating: 6
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Although I enjoy this album, this is a great, OBJECTIVE review. It's refreshing to read well-written negative reviews on generally beloved albums... oh, and especially some of these comments.

Again, good job on the review.
18.12.2008 - 18:35
Kinetic
I have reviewed hundreds of albums and even of genres I didn't like. Personal taste must be set aside and there's alot of loose points in this poor written review.
I am a fan of Moonspell but NE hasn't been growing on me either. Not surprising, but a very solid release nevertheless.

Don't get me wrong, I defend the right of any reviewer to post his/her opinion. But most lack constructive argumentation and good ear to apreciate the technicism., overall structure or even the complexity of it. You basically just posted what you like or not...and follow ur reasoning for liking Memorial, then this must have at least above/equal 7.5 because it can't lack quality if its equal to their previous like you stated. It's simple logic.
18.12.2008 - 19:43
VPeter
Written by Kinetic on 18.12.2008 at 18:35

I have reviewed hundreds of albums and even of genres I didn't like. Personal taste must be set aside and there's alot of loose points in this poor written review.
I am a fan of Moonspell but NE hasn't been growing on me either. Not surprising, but a very solid release nevertheless.

Don't get me wrong, I defend the right of any reviewer to post his/her opinion. But most lack constructive argumentation and good ear to apreciate the technicism., overall structure or even the complexity of it. You basically just posted what you like or not...and follow ur reasoning for liking Memorial, then this must have at least above/equal 7.5 because it can't lack quality if its equal to their previous like you stated. It's simple logic.

hi! my name is Hater of Gods and I'm a biased Moonspell fanboy, but I try to hide this fact by showing my so called objective side, despite being obivious I am a fanboy. Because siriously who reviews hundreds of albums of genres he or she doesn't like?! And eventhough I am 24 I still have to realise that reviews are made of likes and dislikes and personal taste is what makes every review unique. Damn I am such a dumbass! and Arutha also wrote about the techincal problems in his review but ofcourse I didn't read. If I only read the review, so simple logic.
18.12.2008 - 20:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

...and follow ur reasoning for liking Memorial, then this must have at least above/equal 7.5 because it can't lack quality if its equal to their previous like you stated. It's simple logic.

Why should that be? Arutha has only rated and reviewed Night Eternal by Moonspell.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.12.2008 - 14:11
Kinetic
Written by VPeter on 18.12.2008 at 19:43

hi! my name is Hater of Gods and I'm a biased Moonspell fanboy, but I try to hide this fact by showing my so called objective side, despite being obivious I am a fanboy. Because siriously who reviews hundreds of albums of genres he or she doesn't like?! And eventhough I am 24 I still have to realise that reviews are made of likes and dislikes and personal taste is what makes every review unique. Damn I am such a dumbass! and Arutha also wrote about the techincal problems in his review but ofcourse I didn't read. If I only read the review, so simple logic.

Apparently anyone who criticises your reviews is subject to childish attacks.
Why don't you enlight us all about those specific "technicisms" in your review because no one seems to notice what they are...admit it, there's nothing at all beside you not liking it. Amateur to say the least.

And if you were coherent enough like any competent reviewer, you would of answered my reply in a good manner. NE is of the same breed of Memorial (an album which you love) and yet you rate it average. It's ilogical considering your reasoning. Why don't you reply this constructive argumentation without resorting to "fanboy"? That's what seperates intelligent people from the rest.
19.12.2008 - 14:18
Kinetic
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.12.2008 at 20:13

...and follow ur reasoning for liking Memorial, then this must have at least above/equal 7.5 because it can't lack quality if its equal to their previous like you stated. It's simple logic.

Why should that be? Arutha has only rated and reviewed Night Eternal by Moonspell.

So what? If she liked Memorial then it's above or equal to 7.5. Therefore a solid album like NE which has the same agressiveness and concept but a more varied sonority, should have the same score or at least 7. After all, she finds it similar and not inovative.
19.12.2008 - 14:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Kinetic on 19.12.2008 at 14:18

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.12.2008 at 20:13

So what? If she liked Memorial then it's above or equal to 7.5. Therefore a solid album like NE which has the same agressiveness and concept but a more varied sonority, should have the same score or at least 7. After all, she finds it similar and not inovative.

Why does liking an album equate to a 6.5 with you. I like some albums and I wouldn't even rate those above a 6. Cause 6 does mean it is above average actually. But let me guess you think there are hundreds of albums around worthy of a 10?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 8165 | This month: 13