Metal Storm logo
What I hate about my country

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 19.08.2008 - 14:32
new thread! something i don't like about Romania is the fact that compared to other countries there are some really expensive shit, at least relative to the normal salary(mostly the utility prices) and of course the EXPENSIVE stuff(musical instruments , PC software and IT stuff like I-pods, playstations etc.), of course music albums goes without saying, they're ridiculously expensive, and then there's really cheap stuff(mostly food, which compensates with low quality).. you can't be sure of anything here!

haterz hate on!
17.11.2010 - 01:03
Luneth
Account deleted
@Kesh: We all know that when we sit down and logically assess the cuts that they will indeed achieve the desired effect, but at what cost? As I've already stated [and won't spoon feed you] the poorest are being hit the hardest, I don't have to be a world leading economist to deduce that; it isn't a biased opinion because I'm some 'psuedo-liberal left wing hippie', it's a FACT.
17.11.2010 - 10:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by [user id=107773] on 17.11.2010 at 01:03

@Kesh: We all know that when we sit down and logically assess the cuts that they will indeed achieve the desired effect, but at what cost? As I've already stated [and won't spoon feed you] the poorest are being hit the hardest, I don't have to be a world leading economist to deduce that; it isn't a biased opinion because I'm some 'psuedo-liberal left wing hippie', it's a FACT.

Again, completely spot on. The independent elvaluations of the cuts all state that the poorest will be hit the hardest by them. The only people who are denying this, are Osbourne, Clegg, and Cameron. And apparently, Tory supporters/apologists like Kesh. Of course, some will accuse you of being a "leftie" for stating the cold hard fact of the matter, but I guess that's just another way of weedling out of the finer points...

@Kesh: About the homeless, I highly doubt it is THAT easy for a homeless person to aqquire housing. They'd all be doing it, if it were! And even if it were, without being able to secure a decent job that pays a decent wage, they may as well stay on the streets, cos they'll probably just end up back there anyway. As for your statements on the very lowest paid getting hosuing benefit, while that indeed may be true, most only get part of their rent paid for, not all of it. And if it weren't for that, believe me, there'd be far more homeless people on the streets. Which may actually come to fruition now, with the tories making drastic cuts to housing benefit. And besides, the state that some of our hosing/council estates are in, with rampant anti social behaviour problems, some would actually be better off on the street. What are you talking about, people on £40,000+ a year not getting their child benefit stopped? They are! I agree with this though, because people earning that much shouldn't be getting benefits of any kind.

And your "big bad labour, tories are getting the blame for their mess" nonsense wont wash with me, Im afraid. While what you are saying may have some element of truth in it, the tories "solution" to Labours' mess hardly covers them in glory either. They are choosing to punish the poorest, and most vulnerable in society, for Labour's mistakes. Labour isnt forcing them to do that, they have chosen that course of action themselves, and they alone should carry the can for that decision. You could say, at least Labour made an effort to help the vulnerable in our society, it was just the way they chose to do it that was foolish, and allowed many unscrupulous individuals to take advantage of the system. (although Im defending Labour helping the vulnerable here, I definitely wont for their "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" promise, which was complete hogwash. Not that I expect the tories to be any better in this respect, with David "hug a hoodie" Cameron at the helm, either!) Thatcher's Conservatives ground down our working classes, which you are once again, blaming on the previous Labour government. Even if what you saying is true, that still doesn't justify the course of action taken to solve the problem. Many decent, hard working people were forced into hardship, because of the actions of Thatcher. So Labour cannot be blamed for that.

The tories attacks on the working class, and the vulnerable cannot be blamed on Labour. They could have chosen a different course of action, but instead chose to make the worst off in society have to bear the brunt of the harsh cuts. It is in simple terms, looking after the rich, while not giving a damn about the poor, and the needy. You may not like the blunt way that I put that, but it is a fact.
17.11.2010 - 12:52
kesh
Account deleted
Going by what your saying, with or without cuts the poor are been punished the hardest. Is that the fact? By definition the 'poor', which you make sound like some Dickins character, are poor whether your making cuts or not. Neither of you have given me an example of how the poorest are been hit the hardest or how you think things should be done differently. I'll have to give some examples, i suppose. VAT going upto 20%: that'll hit the poor, but it'll also hit someone buying a new Jag too. 20% on a new Jag is more than 20% on a new fridge. Plus VAT isn''t on things such as food, kids clothing and something else. So no-ones going to starve. Theres a theory going, and i hope it's true, that the Tories ultimately want to get ride of income tax and raise VAT. So it'll be a purchasing tax. Not sure of the details with that though... off topic.

Believe it or not, but the government got far too big. It couldn't sustain itself, the private sector got murdered in the recession with everyone thinking house prices could only go one way (using money borrowed cheaply from China - as they've got a currency that is far too cheap, with a goal to industrializing themselves and under-cutting everyone else' jobs) and it needed cutting or you end up in Greece style spiral of needing to lend to pay the workers, while cutting harder because the interest on this dept grows, getting bigger and bigger as bondmarkets don't think you can pay. You can default, sure, get kicked out of all trade agreements and end up desolute for a decade like North Korea did. Or, do as we did, print money as we have, encourage inflation and a weak currency to provide cheap manufactoring goods to trade and sell abroad. Pay off debts so your not getting your margins hammered by interest (as is now the case). Problem with printing money though, is that goods are international, wheat, corn, Toyotos are all sold everywhere, if your printing money its not as valueable as it once was, so it cost more to buy the same goods. So even though it looks like your poor but not losing out on your handouts or whatever, they are actually worth less. That's an example. But, and i totally agree with this, if your living in high rent central London, were 40% of the rental market is actually controlled by the government and were average rents are astronomically higher then in the rest of the country, why pay it? Why just keep letting it grow? If these people aren't working why should they enjoy living in a house most other people in the country can't afford at those same working peoples expense?

The hoodie thing, your saying thats a Tory fault? There not going to give them an asbo or gaybo, plus flat and the rest for nothing, there going to get them sweeping leaves or they'll have there benefits cut.

Luneth, you were saying about "fair and just", statistically on average going to University and getting an degree will mean that over a life-time you'll earn 200,000 pounds more then someone who didn't. Your more likely to go into management and therefore be the boss of the people who essentially paid for you to be there boss and earn more. As, even in the public sector there are less chiefs then indians. Is that fair? Universities weren't always subsidized and people managed.

Personally, if i was Cameron i wouldn't of even tried to win the election, i'd of let Labour keep spending till we hit crisis point next year. Which, even with the cuts, could still happen.
22.11.2010 - 21:18
JAGEagent
I don't like the way that people here don't really view themselves as European. I don't like our policy towards the Balkans.
22.11.2010 - 22:29
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by JAGEagent on 22.11.2010 at 21:18

I don't like the way that people here don't really view themselves as European. I don't like our policy towards the Balkans.

Further reinforced by the governments reluctance to bailout Ireland because they vote to join the EU.
22.11.2010 - 23:59
JAGEagent
I wasn't actually referring to the EU when I said European. I meant culturally and ethnically really.
23.11.2010 - 11:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by JAGEagent on 22.11.2010 at 21:18

What about Balkans, you mean Kosovo shit?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.12.2011 - 23:35
Ernis
狼獾
Estonia. Avoid it.

You are forced to wear a shiny thing on your clothes (for instance in the shape of a star, snowflake or a heart) which makes you visible for the cars so they won't hit you. If the cops catch you not wearing it, they may fine you (40 euros). If you're especially unlucky and return from a bar having had a beer and get caught NOT wearing the thing plus being intoxicated, they may make you pay 400 euros. That's a monthly salary for many people here, oh wait... many people don't even get 400 euros...

After the new law was enforced, some cops already harassed a woman who WAS wearing the thing, it wasn't visible enough at first. Some poor bloke had to pay a fine of 191 euros for not having one.

I've got nothing against shiny stars or snowflakes. They look pretty. But as a mandatory "fashion accessory", it feels extremely sick. They say tourists won't be touched but you never know...
25.12.2011 - 00:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 24.12.2011 at 23:35

Estonia. Avoid it.

You are forced to wear a shiny thing on your clothes (for instance in the shape of a star, snowflake or a heart) which makes you visible for the cars so they won't hit you. If the cops catch you not wearing it, they may fine you (40 euros). If you're especially unlucky and return from a bar having had a beer and get caught NOT wearing the thing plus being intoxicated, they may make you pay 400 euros. That's a monthly salary for many people here, oh wait... many people don't even get 400 euros...

After the new law was enforced, some cops already harassed a woman who WAS wearing the thing, it wasn't visible enough at first. Some poor bloke had to pay a fine of 191 euros for not having one.

I've got nothing against shiny stars or snowflakes. They look pretty. But as a mandatory "fashion accessory", it feels extremely sick. They say tourists won't be touched but you never know...

WTF it is stupid law, I never have and never will wear it its my style such shit ruin my style, wonder what cops do if trhey carch Hells Angel biker hahaha
Some contries realy make stupid laws
----

apos;'
[image]
25.12.2011 - 12:01
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Ernis on 24.12.2011 at 23:35
You are forced to wear a shiny thing on your clothes (for instance in the shape of a star, snowflake or a heart) which makes you visible for the cars so they won't hit you.

Wait, what the fuck? That's the most retarded thing I've ever read.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
25.12.2011 - 12:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by vezzy on 25.12.2011 at 12:01
Wait, what the fuck? That's the most retarded thing I've ever read.

I was waiting for a "gotcha" or something but then I remembered Viggo's got a firm no-trolling stance. It's legit.

And it's fucking stupid.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.12.2011 - 12:06
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.12.2011 at 12:05
I was waiting for a "gotcha" or something but then I remembered Viggo's got a firm no-trolling stance. It's legit.

Wait, what the fuck?

That was the second most retarded thing I've ever read.

What exactly did you mean?
----
25.12.2011 - 12:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by vezzy on 25.12.2011 at 12:06
What exactly did you mean?

The first time Viggo mentioned the star/snowflake/whatever the fuck it is.

I was waiting for him to pull a trollface or something.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.12.2011 - 12:10
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.12.2011 at 12:09

The first time Viggo mentioned the star/snowflake/whatever the fuck it is.

Yeah, it kind of sounds like those badges that concentration camp detainees were forced to wear.
----
25.12.2011 - 16:57
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.12.2011 at 12:05

And it's fucking stupid.

The idea is noble. The shiny thing reflects the car lights which makes you visible to the driver from a longer distance which reduces the chances of being run over. The sick thing is that the new traffic regulation considers the absence of the shiny thing a violation of the law and makes it equal to "creating a dangerous situation on the street". That is, a pedestrian will be punished for not making himself visible for the cars, therefore causing a potential car crash. Intoxicated state will make it more severe because in Estonia consuming and possessing alcohol in public places is forbidden (if you have a bottle, hide it in the bag or something) as is being intoxicated (nevertheless numerous drunkards and junkies roam the streets). It's almost as if "drunk walking = drunk driving".

As I understood, wearing the light reflector is now mandatory not just in winter but also in summer. When the sun sets, you've gotta wear it even in downtown where the streets are well lit.
26.12.2011 - 01:57
whatsacow
You know what I hate about my country? We have no problems. Now that may not seem like a problem, but when the politicians go looking for problems to make themselves look less problematic, then we have a problem! What do they do when they have no problems? They censor shit. "Black Metal bands arent coming into the country because their name is politically incorrect due to the fact they are white." "The Violence in Mortal Kombat is too realistic, so we're going to ban the game..." etc. And worse still, people like me, because we have no wars and shit, come in threads like this where people are from countries that actually have problems and whinge about their lack of problems! We make us sick!
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
26.12.2011 - 02:10
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by whatsacow on 26.12.2011 at 01:57

You know what I hate about my country? We have no problems. Now that may not seem like a problem, but when the politicians go looking for problems to make themselves look less problematic, then we have a problem! What do they do when they have no problems? They censor shit. "Black Metal bands arent coming into the country because their name is politically incorrect due to the fact they are white." "The Violence in Mortal Kombat is too realistic, so we're going to ban the game..." etc. And worse still, people like me, because we have no wars and shit, come in threads like this where people are from countries that actually have problems and whinge about their lack of problems! We make us sick!

I think Australia has a big problem with censoring stuff, i think it's the isolation taking its toll haha

as far as I know they banned Cannibal Corpse's first 3 albums for a while
26.12.2011 - 04:24
whatsacow
Written by Valentin B on 26.12.2011 at 02:10

I think Australia has a big problem with censoring stuff, i think it's the isolation taking its toll haha

Yeah, there was a big uproar about how cannibal corpse wasnt allowed to tour here and a band that had explicit language in its title (anal cunt) was allowed to. We got the most butchered version of left 4 dead 2, where there is no blood, and enemies dont die, they disappear the moment you touch them.
Also, we're only just getting an 18+ rating for games, but my state is the only one going against it.

Edit
Its probably because we have a redheaded bitch running our country. Nothing against women, just her. Fucking slut. Oh well, the other guy wanted to ban violence from videogames fullstop and make christianity the main religion in schools again...
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
26.12.2011 - 05:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff

They're also a bunch of pussies when it comes to violent games.
----
26.12.2011 - 05:30
Kennoth
Bizarre and fiendishly low criminal sentences. There was a huge public uproar here few years back when a son of a wealthy guy ran over someone (the person in question died), and the judge gave him some shit sentence like a year of parole and elaborating it with the fact that he's from "socially acceptable family". In those exact words. I suppose the victim was deemed "unacceptable".

Maximum penalty is 40 years in prison, but hardly anyone will ever do all of it (good behavior can get you off as early as 20), and the sentence is reserved for only the grizzliest of murders. Whole criminal system needs retouching. Year or two back some kid died near the tram station as a result of deadly beating some punks gave him. Rumor has it, they didn't like his longish hair. I'm not completely factual about the aftermath, but I'm ALMOST sure they didn't get any real prison sentence. Especially so because some of them were minors. So, just some slapping on the wrist and that's it. We need a better way of dealing with the perpetrators of violent acts, regardless of their age.

Other than stuff like that, I don't have any major complains. Life is hard, but so is fucking everywhere, and there's a common rule of thumb: if you don't fight for yourself, nobody else will do it for you. Economy is bad, jobs are few, but it's the common picture across the globe. People forget that there are far, far worse places to live. Even as one of the lesser developed European countries, we have the privilege of living in the wealthiest continent in the world, where even the poorest countries are far, far wealthier and better to live in then a lot of countries across the Asia, Africa and so on. At least I'm free to express my opinion, for what's it worth.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
26.12.2011 - 21:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I get conflicted feelings about our patriotic or at least semi-nationalist songs/initiatives. For example this next song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeFb0iPq8mI is really beautiful and the guy sings it so amazingly clear, it really strikes a chord. Only problem it has the chorus which says "We are Romanians, we are the masters of this domain forever", refering of course to the Romanian territory, on which there's a 13% (or so) Hungarian minority which gets heavily discriminated against using this very song as a propaganda tool. or rallying cry if you will

Similarly, there's an initiative now going on saying that, in order to avoid confusion between the Roma people and Romanians, the European Parliament or something needs to change their legal definition of ethnicity from "Roma" to "Gypsies". I see their reasoning but this is such a blatant example of the rampant racism in our society it makes my guts twist and turn.

There's no real middle of the road here, any positive initiative regarding the Romanian people is either too soft and politically correct, or downright racist lol.
26.12.2011 - 21:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by JAGEagent on 22.11.2010 at 23:59

I wasn't actually referring to the EU when I said European. I meant culturally and ethnically really.

there is no such thing as a culturally and ethnically europe. It is way too dvierse for that. The Blakans are nothing like, for example, Scandinavia both culturally and ethnically. I really don't get this so-called big european type thinking. hell, even the Netherlands and Belgium or Germany are quite far a[part culturally and in a lesser extent ethnically.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.12.2011 - 21:36
Ernis
狼獾

I wish I found a way to Sydney. After all 'twas my grandfather's home town. I've never had the chance of getting there. I'm sure life in Australia would've been a lot better than in the USSR...

Written by Kennoth on 26.12.2011 at 05:30

Bizarre and fiendishly low criminal sentences. There was a huge public uproar here few years back when a son of a wealthy guy ran over someone (the person in question died), and the judge gave him some shit sentence like a year of parole and elaborating it with the fact that he's from "socially acceptable family". In those exact words. I suppose the victim was deemed "unacceptable".

Just like Estonia. It's interesting to see how nearly all the countries that used to be behind the iron curtain once all became more or less corrupt during the chaos of the 90ies. You get a ridiculously high sentence for stealing food or having pot but at the same time serious criminals (murderers) are feared, they get a short sentence, get released and repeat their crimes. Usually "professional" criminals arrange their crimes so that when they're caught, the period of being in jail is going to be beneficial for them (free food and living in the prison where they can create their own mafia rules). There are numerous women who are scared to death of suing their abusive husbands because the police won't do anything before the woman and kids are actually already dead.
26.12.2011 - 21:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

So did Germany. Those albums should be banned due to the boring music on it, not for their lyrical content.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.12.2011 - 00:23
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Why I hate Poland:

On the 24th of December I turned on the TV to watch some news and lo and behold, the first news item of the day (ie. the most important news) was the speech of some religious figure (a cardinal or something). I am amazed that a modern country would think that such nonsensical babbling from a man that has no authority to speak about anything besides myths and imaginary people living on clouds would be the most important news item of the day. I was completely floored by this and it made me think that my country is nothing more than an elaborate cult.

Since it was Christmas day, I'd understand that what some religious conman has to say would be somewhat news-worthy but only as a joke. I am appalled by how stupid the people in this country are to allow for this sort of thing to happen.
27.12.2011 - 01:15
Ernis
狼獾
Written by jupitreas on 27.12.2011 at 00:23

Why I hate Poland:

What was the speech about then?

I got speeches bout being kind to people and about sharing love and happiness with others. Quite positive things. All in all, in Russia you get mass transmissions too on holidays. It's completely normal. Why should we distance ourselves from the spirituality and traditions?

Didn't watch the church transmission tho. I'm afraid it's a bit fake here. A chubby reverend holding a generic holiday speech and people singing along. Many of those people probably don't even know why they've come to the church in the first place. Is it so also in Poland?
Instead I read the sermon I get on my e-mail from a priest who's set up this brilliant e-mass conception. That was a nice and fun thing to read as usual.

I'm kinda sad I missed the night mass tho. We have a monastery here where the priest is Chuck Norris. His masses are also grand.
27.12.2011 - 01:37
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Ernis on 27.12.2011 at 01:15

Why I hate Poland:

What was the speech about then?

I got speeches bout being kind to people and about sharing love and happiness with others. Quite positive things. All in all, in Russia you get mass transmissions too on holidays. It's completely normal. Why should we distance ourselves from the spirituality and traditions?

Didn't watch the church transmission tho. I'm afraid it's a bit fake here. A chubby reverend holding a generic holiday speech and people singing along. Many of those people probably don't even know why they've come to the church in the first place. Is it so also in Poland?
Instead I read the sermon I get on my e-mail from a priest who's set up this brilliant e-mass conception. That was a nice and fun thing to read as usual.

I'm kinda sad I missed the night mass tho. We have a monastery here where the priest is Chuck Norris. His masses are also grand.

It is common for priests to offer positive banal truisms in order to distract away from the fact that they are just making sure people continue to go to their churches and give them money. Besides, it makes no difference what the speech was about, its the principle that counts. A priest should not be broadcast on public television because he preaches irrational and non-factual things. If there are people out there who enjoy being duped by this, let them sign up for e-masses or go to churches. Well OK, let me actually reiterate this: a priest can be broadcast on public tv since freedom of speech is very important for democracy. What I object to is the fact that this kind of irrational rhetoric is somehow seen as so important in my country that it is the number one most important news of the day.
27.12.2011 - 01:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Why I hate Poland:

On the 24th of December I turned on the TV to watch some news and lo and behold, the first news item of the day (ie. the most important news) was the speech of some religious figure (a cardinal or something). I am amazed that a modern country would think that such nonsensical babbling from a man that has no authority to speak about anything besides myths and imaginary people living on clouds would be the most important news item of the day. I was completely floored by this and it made me think that my country is nothing more than an elaborate cult.

Since it was Christmas day, I'd understand that what some religious conman has to say would be somewhat news-worthy but only as a joke. I am appalled by how stupid the people in this country are to allow for this sort of thing to happen.

it hepen in latvia to all time LTV1 what is nat Tv show church 18:10 then is some cardinal oir other hight ranging church man speech, generaly LTV1 and 7 (who's Nr 2 nat TV) show religioss programss, same whole Christmas long , same in aster
But I dont watvh LTV so I dont care, and Swe nat TV actualy I dont know I did not watch it at all at non Christmas what I ve been in Sverige
----

apos;'
[image]
27.12.2011 - 17:13
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.12.2011 at 21:38
So did Germany. Those albums should be banned due to the boring music on it, not for their lyrical content.

By that logic, they should ban 90% of music in general.
----
27.12.2011 - 17:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by vezzy on 27.12.2011 at 17:13

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.12.2011 at 21:38

By that logic, they should ban 90% of music in general.

well, yes indeed it should. First and fooremost Japanese Power Pop that Flower Metal likes
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996