08. Greetings
09. Regulator
10. Funeral
11. Bastard
    1 - Not One Of My Better Days
    2 - The Girl From Blue City
12. The Death Of Music
13. Thing Beyond Things [bonus]

"O earth, what changes hast thou seen.. there where the long street roars, hath been the stillness of the central sea. The hills are shadows, and they flow from form to form, and nothing stands; Like clouds they shape themselves and go."

Lord Alfred Tennyson's poem opens up the aqueous-themed album by Devin Townsend, appropriately titled Ocean Machine: Biomech. The 1997 album consists of thirteen buoyant tracks and avoids many of the pitfalls that plague so many albums in the genre of progressive metal. Rather than saturating the album with overzealous instrumental passages and bombastic vocals, Devin quite humbly allows the different sonic layers to complement one another, yielding an album that drifts along a strong current of transparent inventiveness. The concept elaborates on the malaise of life from an introspective viewpoint and the struggle to find harmony within the macrocosm. There is a sense of displacement conveyed, the uneasiness of being away from home and the pertinent loneliness. The lyrics aren't the most profound or intricately poetic, but they fit within the expressiveness of the music.

Mr. Townsend explains about his concepts and topics, "Honestly, I don't really know. As a knee-jerk reaction to what I feel, the lyrics are whatever I feel works -- put together in the best way to make things "strange", and that's what it ended up being. The question for me was always centered around what would create a weird energy both for the music and for the lyrics."

The vocals are conducted in a tasteful manner, and everything you could expect from one of the most versatile voices in the industry. Anyone who has listened to Ayreon's The Human Equation will understand the distinct way that Devin's chaotic, multi-layered vocal tracks make you feel like you have just entered the eye of the storm. The sheer aggression in his heavy voice is often paired with the melancholy of his melodic harmonizing, giving fans of both ends of the heavy metal spectrum (like myself) the best of both worlds.
Many fans of Strapping Young Lad will be surprised to hear "Life" two songs into the album, starting off with a distorted, underwater guitar that rises up into a cheerful melody, then sinks back down into the depths only to reemerge for a sing-song chorus that is almost on the verge of poppiness. The great instrumentation of this track keep it from becoming too soggy, along with the way it develops and unfolds into pain felt climax. In the tradition of mad science, "Hide Nowhere" manages to incorporate some wacky background voices throughout, which complement the intensity of the relentless driving guitar rhythm. "Voices In The Fan" mixes heaviness and atmosphere perfectly, ending with a beautiful choir piece, in continuation of the album's fluid balance of machine and nature. The transition from "Greetings" into "Regulator" is one of the most intense moments of the album, if not Devin's entire career. Through this album we catch a glimpse of what is to come in the future productive, off-beat career of our beloved musical maniac.

Back to the subject of Strapping Young Lad, which is how I personally came to learn about Devin Townsend, it is important to understand that in his solo works the "Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing" attitude is no longer present. These outings are more of a focused attempt at musical expression, with more atmosphere, variation, and emotion.

In summation, this album is filled with surprises, everything that "Progressive" is supposed to represent is epitomized within Biomech's 1.2 hours. Unlike anything heard before, the culmination of Devin's musical genius is combined with many influences from all corners of music. Although labeled "Industrial Progressive Metal", many songs are reminiscent of lighter, alternative rock, similar to bands like Filter, while others channel the mystic sonic experimentation of Pink Floyd. Each song often passes through many different genres so it is difficult to pin down any one label, ultimately confirming Devin Townsend's ability to trumpet originality while remaining listen able and coherent.

I highly recommend that you submerge yourself in these turbulent, yet calming waters... just remember to breathe!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by Introspekrieg | 12.03.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 210 users
23.08.2008 - 19:25
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, I am intrigued, especially by that description of Life. I guess I need to listen to this one. Here you go. There is your first review comment
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
11.10.2008 - 23:21
marillionfan
Account deleted
This album is the first Devin Townsend music experience for me and I'm blown away - such an amazing talent in songwriting, the sound is original, you can hardly see such a thing these days. I'm looking forward to listening to more albums from him.
15.01.2009 - 17:04
Rating: 9
Elio
Red Nightmare
Wow, mate, awesome review for a just brilliant album
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
21.01.2009 - 01:45
Rating: 10
pandator
Briliant, Devin is absolutely best progressive componist ever. His music make me just fine. I love him and this album started finaly something unconventional but yet great in the world of music! (I'm sorry for my English) I just wanted to tell you, enjoy this album!
----
Life is all dynamics
31.01.2010 - 13:21
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
A very Legit album. As much of a, Delicious Melody Explosion as his other great works
----
Coldgrits
29.06.2010 - 22:36
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Great review for a great album!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
04.07.2010 - 00:36
Rating: 9
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Only just got around to listen to this last month. absolutely great review to complement a great album
----
loves 小巫
05.07.2010 - 15:51
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I'm still yet to listen to this album. But I will. I promise. In due time.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.10.2010 - 03:03
Rating: 10
Aetherius
This is an amazing album, truly for any prog fans ^^
"The 1997 album consists of thirteen buoyant tracks and avoids many of the pitfalls that plague so many albums in the genre of progressive metal. Rather than saturating the album with overzealous instrumental passages and bombastic vocals" - This part of the review was especially true!
17.10.2010 - 04:13
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 05.07.2010 at 15:51

You're kidding?! You better have to.
----

I am awake"
17.10.2010 - 11:45
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Darkside Momo on 17.10.2010 at 04:13

Written by BloodTears on 05.07.2010 at 15:51

You're kidding?! You better have to.

Actually I still haven't. I know, I'm a bad girl. I like "Terria" though. I should really made this week Devin Townsend week and just listened to the them all over again,
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.10.2010 - 13:46
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 17.10.2010 at 11:45

Actually I still haven't. I know, I'm a bad girl. I like "Terria" though. I should really made this week Devin Townsend week and just listened to the them all over again,

Yeah, bad, bad girl

Seriously, if you like Devin's work, you should like this one too... It's different from the rest. But that can be said for almost every Devin album anyway
----

I am awake"

Hits total: 14772 | This month: 27