Metal Storm logo
Study shows heavy metal fans are "gentle and creative."

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 07.09.2008 - 00:33
I just read this article and found it was kind of interesting. What do you all think of this study? Article. Are Metalheads really creative and gentle? Are there good examples of this? Or was this "study" based on bad research?

---

Moderator edit: As the link above has ceased working, you can read about it at here instead:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7598549.stm
24.10.2008 - 01:58
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Of course metalheads are creative and gentle! We get our agression out when we listen to metal...all the pent up rage, stress, tension, anger, whatever is released when we thrash around and bang our heads to the metal we listen to...a lot of the interviews of brutal death metal bands feature some of the most calm and assertive people I know...do you ever hear in the news of members from metal bands getting into reckless driving accidents due to a stressful day or going after someone like pop stars, getting into brawls like rappers, etc, etc...? hell no!
24.10.2008 - 03:22
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Guest on 24.10.2008 at 01:58

Of course metalheads are creative and gentle! We get our agression out when we listen to metal...all the pent up rage, stress, tension, anger, whatever is released when we thrash around and bang our heads to the metal we listen to...a lot of the interviews of brutal death metal bands feature some of the most calm and assertive people I know...do you ever hear in the news of members from metal bands getting into reckless driving accidents due to a stressful day or going after someone like pop stars, getting into brawls like rappers, etc, etc...? hell no!

good point. Most of my friends aren't metalheads. I only know about 2 people that actually listen to metal. A lot of the people I know are constantly bringing up drama and rubbing people the wrong way. I on the other hand am very quiet most of the time, talk when talked too and assert myself if if its only necessary.
It may be just who I am but I think it has a good amount to do with the music I listen too.
Metal puts my mind in a very peaceful place and lets some of the impact of stress that comes from everyday life slide away. It allows my mind to think and helps me deal with whatever is troubling me at the moment.
----
Coldgrits
21.11.2008 - 15:45
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker

I never thought about it before, but you are absolutely right
23.11.2008 - 21:01
benvolent
I have to confess, that I also think so and it's one of the parts, which makes metal so sympathetic - especially metal-festivals! Seems to be quite similar to this good old rugby-attitude: first we crush each other's head and then we'll drink a couple of beers together in order to kill the pain.

and an anecdote: I lately was on a metal-concert with a girl and when she was heading towards the scene to get a better overview, she was totally astonished, that all these guys with long hair in black shirts, sweating and pogueing (I don't know, how to write that, but, you know, this mixture of jumping, headbanging and fighting..), were actually protecting her by giving her an one-metre-safety-circle. Yeah, that's how we are - I hope at least most of us metalheads!
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
03.12.2008 - 06:38
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.

That is the same way I think always, I can always get rid of my frustration or anger when listening to metal or attending to a gig, yeah, stimulating.

Written by benvolent on 23.11.2008 at 21:01

I have to confess, that I also think so and it's one of the parts, which makes metal so sympathetic - especially metal-festivals! Seems to be quite similar to this good old rugby-attitude: first we crush each other's head and then we'll drink a couple of beers together in order to kill the pain.

and an anecdote: I lately was on a metal-concert with a girl and when she was heading towards the scene to get a better overview, she was totally astonished, that all these guys with long hair in black shirts, sweating and pogueing (I don't know, how to write that, but, you know, this mixture of jumping, headbanging and fighting..), were actually protecting her by giving her an one-metre-safety-circle. Yeah, that's how we are - I hope at least most of us metalheads!

That is so true! We always try to protect girls in gigs, but sometimes they are part of the action too yeah!
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
03.12.2008 - 18:38
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I've never seen guys protect girls at a metal show...if anything, the girls I see at metal shows are moshing and kicking the crap out of the guys hahaha...
03.12.2008 - 23:01
benvolent
Written by Guest on 03.12.2008 at 18:38

I've never seen guys protect girls at a metal show...if anything, the girls I see at metal shows are moshing and kicking the crap out of the guys hahaha...

I prefer these nice girls, which need to be protected...
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
03.12.2008 - 23:23
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
I agree with the creative part but gentle? hmmm....maybe in some cases but get a bottle of jagermeister in me and I'll punch you in the face. Take me to a metal show and I'll stage-dive and mosh with the rest of you. timid maybe, but not gentle. I heard metal girls like it rough.
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
06.12.2008 - 18:40
Gigginova
Account deleted
At the bottom where it shows the music genres vs personality traits, i listen to more than just metal, so does that mean that I have a combination of the traits.

all the music I like the most say "not hard-working"
06.12.2008 - 20:38
VPeter
Heh, what a joke. metalheads are dumb and obnoxious, annoying, lack hygiene, lack manners and are often just as close minded as the average pop listener.
12.12.2008 - 21:48
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Imho that conclusion is fairly pointless, as it only reflects the type of metalheads who are likely to take such tests in the first place, so their results are hardly surprising.

I mean, what are the chances that a significant number of more aggressive, nihilistic or misanthropic people, who listen to metal/identify theirselves as metalheads/whatever, would bother with completing this kind of survey?
12.12.2008 - 22:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hell yeah Metalheads are creative. I don't think there's a doubt there. Gentle on the other hand, I don't know. But all the Metalheads I know (including myself) are really good people.
----
12.12.2008 - 22:55
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I would not at all say i'm gentle. but then again im not an elitist nazi douche bag like some metal types are so i can partially agree with this finding.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
13.12.2008 - 01:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I am still stupified by the outcome of this survey.

When looking at myself an close friends we are all gentle, yes I am actually a really nice guy ask people that have met me in real life But creative we are NOT.
Then again I do know quite a few metalheads who ARE creative but toally not gentle. And then you have the metalheads that try to backstab everyone and fuck them over. And there are als the gentle AND creative ones and the non-gentle non-creative ones...

Mmmm, doesn't this just sound like every day people on the street or in any other music genre?
Nope, studies/surveys like this are just total bullshit. One can only draw the right conclusion when looking at every single metalhead on their own and in groups for quite a few will be a totally different person when on their own or operating in a group.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.03.2009 - 07:53
muztayne
I believe the creative part. But GENTLE?! It's just hard to believe that metalheads are gentle.
14.03.2009 - 22:01
ForeverDarkWoods
These etudies are pretty much crapshit and I've seen studies indicating that metalheads are pretty much anything and everything in the world. I guess that's the truth. From what I've experienced metalheads don't need to have shit in common except they've listened to metal. I know pretty much all kinds of metalheads. I don't see much of a pettern.

In fact the only pattern I've observed both IRL and on forums is that not a lot of metalheads I know have an average level of intelligence. From my experience I'd say they tend to be either very intelligent or very stupid. Most metal forums have a huge overweight of the intelligent kind (especially Metalstorm and MA).
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
14.03.2009 - 22:33
Zooluke
Account deleted
The study is just a generalization. Gentle and creative are a lot of people wether its metal, hiphop, classical, rock or country. This study is as reliable as al gores theory that the sunshine is out to rape me. :p
15.03.2009 - 07:36
ToMegaTherion
The study is a broad generalization; however, it is one that is not entirely inaccurate. Many metal fans I have met in the past have fallen into that category, and in many respects i think i would fit some of the criteria. But certainly beyond a shadow of a doubt creativity seems to be incredibly common amongst metal fans.
16.03.2009 - 18:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
This kind of studies are like the others said, bullshit.

I know metalheads who are really nice people. But there are some metalheads that are assholes, as simple as that... Just arrogant people who think they're the shit.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.04.2009 - 01:40
RockeRoy
In the article every genre was creative and gentle so what is the big deal? and Metalheads where also suposed to be Low self-esteem, not hard-working, and not outgoing too
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
11.04.2009 - 06:13
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by RockeRoy on 11.04.2009 at 01:40

In the article every genre was creative and gentle so what is the big deal? and Metalheads where also suposed to be Low self-esteem, not hard-working, and not outgoing too

noo....but there were some music genres that were opposite. Just look at Rap and Country.
11.04.2009 - 17:46
Conservationist

Either that or: we're more realistic, and therefore have no need for drama. We see reality in all its beauty and ugliness, and accept both, so aren't of "divided mind" and simply do what needs be done. We're also not caught up in politically correct pretense or the idea of herd/hive morality.
12.04.2009 - 19:19
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Metalheads still have drama though...I'm sure in what context you mean politically correct pretense...
12.04.2009 - 23:40
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
True metal heads have high self esteem and are introvert(I guess that those 2 characteristics are equivalent)

I guess that classical fan characteristics fit me more than metal fan characteristics.
14.04.2009 - 09:54
Throne Dweller
It does describe me, but I've seen some incredibly stupid metalheads in my day, or people who don't take it seriously [not that it's a bad thing] as the ones who do take it seriously are normally very intelligent.

People can always break generalizations though.
15.04.2009 - 02:11
Winterfog
Damn.. Low self steem..??? I don't know about that, and what about not-hard working that maybe got confused with hip hop or maybe rap
16.04.2009 - 16:44
TormentoR.
Written by Winterfog on 15.04.2009 at 02:11

Damn.. Low self steem..??? I don't know about that, and what about not-hard working that maybe got confused with hip hop or maybe rap

Hell yeah! what the fuck? no doubt that he confused it with rap
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
16.04.2009 - 17:16
-Soulreaper-
The low self esteem and not hard working is complete bullshit to me. A lot of the metal heads that I have met have been neither. Sure, there are the exceptions who just want to live in their mothers basement for the rest of their life and not make anything of themselves. But for me, I'm very outgoing, hard working, and like to think that I am creative. But also, I am not gentle. If someone says something cross to me ill defend myself or If I think someone is being a fucking retard, I'll tell them they are. So, I'm not sure where the guy got these statistics but I think he needs to start over.
16.04.2009 - 18:12
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by -Soulreaper- on 16.04.2009 at 17:16

But also, I am not gentle. If someone says something cross to me ill defend myself or If I think someone is being a fucking retard, I'll tell them they are.

Mm, yeah, I'm not a real fluffy bunny as well. :/

About being outgoing... I think there are 70% of metalheads that really are outgoing and those 30% who aren't, or maybe less than that because most of them are outgoing. As for myself, I'm a strange person - I like to meet friends but there are times when I just hate when someone appears around and I'm not coming out of my house, heh.
About creativity I may agree.
16.04.2009 - 21:23
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ragana on 16.04.2009 at 18:12

Written by -Soulreaper- on 16.04.2009 at 17:16

But also, I am not gentle. If someone says something cross to me ill defend myself or If I think someone is being a fucking retard, I'll tell them they are.

Mm, yeah, I'm not a real fluffy bunny as well. :/

About being outgoing... I think there are 70% of metalheads that really are outgoing and those 30% who aren't, or maybe less than that because most of them are outgoing. As for myself, I'm a strange person - I like to meet friends but there are times when I just hate when someone appears around and I'm not coming out of my house, heh.
About creativity I may agree.

lol creativity i don't know, but if metal fans were renown for being easy going and LAZY it'd sure as fuck be true in my case