Metal Storm logo
People you have influenced to get into metal?

Original post

Posted by -Soulreaper-, 19.11.2008 - 19:30
I was just wondering if there is anyone in your life that you have inspired or influenced to get into metal? For example, I got my 13 year old brother into a few metal bands and now he can't get enough of it. I introduced bands like Amon Amarth, Tyr, Opeth, and Slayer. He had been listening to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth and a couple others before but I think I gave him the nudge he needed to get into a little heavier stuff. Also I got my wife into some more extreme bands like Burzum, Darkthrone, Bloodbath, Morbid Angel and others. Now she we will come home and I hear her blasting Cancer of the Soul or some other heavy stuff. Anyways, would like to hear you experiences.
19.10.2009 - 18:58
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
I can't think that I have ever influenced a completely non metalhead to get into it. but i did broaden a dudes mind outside of slayer, metallica, megadeth....that sort of thing.
24.10.2009 - 21:37
Hanyuchan
My little brother, he used to listen to linkin park, now listens to all power metal.
28.10.2009 - 22:38
MetallicA
Nobody really.

The only thing I have done is introduce people to bands they have never heard of cause I have a pretty big knowledge of bands (these people were already metalheads).

Maybe my oldest brother...when I was DJing one night, he called up and requested Children of Bodom and I was like WTF you heard of them? That threw me off cause he went through this techno stage for several years. haha BUT years ago, he was the one who introduced me to Metallica. Funny how that works out
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
28.10.2009 - 22:46
-Soulreaper-
Recently I have gotten my brother-in-law into some metal. I introduced him to Candlemass, Opeth, Nevermore, Dimmu, Dissection, Immortal, Ensiferum, Testament, and some other stuff. He seems to be getting into alot of it.
01.02.2010 - 05:30
flickaa
My ex.. haha
02.02.2010 - 21:17
SerratedSyringe
Written by flickaa on 01.02.2010 at 05:30

My ex.. haha

Yeah, same.
I've also been responsable for getting some "junior metalheads" (The ones who only listen to Linkin Park, Disturbed, etc.) into more underground stuff.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
02.02.2010 - 23:38
Valdyr Nordvindr
Account deleted
I got two of my friends into metal, one only likes the lighter stuff but the other has embraced everything eagerly. I also got my mom into Therion, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, and Blind Guardian.
05.02.2010 - 20:08
Tormentor666
I'm always trying to get younger kids into metal... when I have the chance, I let them listen to the albums I got and, from time to time, I even lend some. Some of them would stay in metal and they are very thankful, but some others just quit as if it was just fashion. That's life.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
16.02.2010 - 01:43
bandozes
It's nice to know there's lots of people about like me who don't know too many metalheads. I tried to show my friends some metal - Iron maiden, and some underground stuff too, but it's all dismissed . Ow but, what hope did i have for my friends who like metalcore AND the Jonas Brothers???
05.03.2010 - 01:39
whatsacow
I got my 58 year old grandmother into metallica and opeth; and she can tolerate behemoth.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
07.03.2010 - 20:14
Don Martin
le fu-
I'm getting my friend into BETTER METAL. At first he listened to BMTH and Slipknot (still does akshuly) but now I give him 3 cd's out my collection every week to listen. He really digged Rompeprop and Devourment so I think I'm doing it well This week I gave him The Faceless (Planetary Duality) , Repulsion (Horrified) and Devourment (Butcher The Weak).
----
What a tackastrophe!
07.03.2010 - 21:13
Some dorks at school that were listening to whiney crap, then i put on maiden and they asked what is was.
08.03.2010 - 13:52
Skøllgrim
Northern
I originally come from a tiny island, where pretty much no-one stand out in any way.
I turned some friends into metalheads there, they are pretty much the only people who listen to metal on it. (Population 3000...)
11.06.2010 - 14:10
busta5000
Account deleted
I influenced all my classmates & also 4 of my relatives to listen to metalcore they didn't like thrash metal nor any other metal genre.
On the other hand I have a relative who already loves death metal in which I like so much specially behemoth & be'lakor.
11.06.2010 - 14:53
Mikyz
I got on of my best friends into metal, he is more into the melodic faction of metal as in bands like In Flames, Be'lakor, Amon Amarth and Edge of Sanity, lately I got him into the whole Depressive/atmospheric Black Metal scene (Drudkh, Wolves in the Throne Room) and the Post-Black Metal wave like Caina, Altar of Plagues and whatnot. I also got another one of my friends into Folk Metal namely Eluveitie. I never bothered to really push people into becoming metalheads, I just make them listen to what I think they might enjoy, if it clicks then good for them.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
25.01.2011 - 03:28
TheCryingOrc
Over the years I have gotten my mostly Indie/Rock/Hip-Hop friends into Fintroll - Trollhammaren, Korpiklaani - Let's Drink, Turisas - Rasputin and Those were the days, but they mostly like these for the comedic value of them. I also gave one of my friends Rust in Peace and now he likes Hangar 18. So I'm getting there. Slowly, but surely. Also I concur with those who find it hard to not have anyone to talk about metal with.
----
Amber streams from Sol
Are not unlike the waves of the sea
Nor the endless horizon of ice
27.04.2011 - 01:59
Ghostdancer
In the 80s I got my brother into Metallica and Slayer and away from glam crap like Ratt. Over the years he would seek out and find new bands and introduce me to them.

I introduced several of my friends to death metal in the late 80s early 90s era and they're still into metal.

I also introduced my wife to metal in the early 2000s and she's pretty diehard now. Back then it was Opeth, early Cradle of Filth, early Dimmu Borgir...but then she got into stuff like Behemoth, Marduk and a lot of other stuff...crossing into different subgenres. She also started listening to older metal just to see where it all came from.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
27.04.2011 - 02:43
Void_Eater
Account deleted
My older brother. The first time I heard a metal song was when he played Fade To Black on the computer, and I thought that it was awesome. Some time later, he played Symphony of Destruction, and I thought it was awesome. Throw in a couple of Maiden songs in the mix, and my interest in metal was perked enough to get more into it. Unfortunantly, he can't handle vocals harsher than Pantera, and isn't really a metalhead, but I got him into Overkill and Toxik at least.
06.07.2011 - 19:49
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
My brother always listen what i am listening (althought the always say that the current music isn't all the rage). I have some friends that listen metal when i am with their....

Speaking the truth, those youngs of today make me angry.
06.07.2011 - 22:48
Smriti
I have tried, but to no avail. Though, a friend of mine pushed a mutual friend to listen to Rammstein. That guy dissected each and every recommended song on his wall, mostly in a depreciating manner. The only songs he liked were in which guest singers appeared. Obviously, he didn't take very pleasantly to Lindemann's singing. That's the catch here. Can't recommend metal to every average person out there. You don't choose, you sieve.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/-Smriti-
06.07.2011 - 23:58
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
I have tried alot, but it's hard. I was able to get one classmate who listened to slipknot into Maiden. Now, he listens to them more than me. Also, I got another guy who used to listen to Iron Maiden into Nightwish and Agalloch. I gave them their discographies on a disc. It had some Opeth and Amon Amarth too. I told him to check 'em out, but he said that they "growled" too much. I laughed and said:"Hey man, what will happen to you if you listened to Cryptopsy?" I was really disappointed, because he was one of the most open minded people around me. Still, I ain't givin' up. I'll keep trying. (Although the mainstream rules supreme here and people think of ALL metal as satanic and refuse to hear it).
07.07.2011 - 01:52
blacktooth85
No one really. I'm pretty much the only one in my circle of friends that listens to metal. A few people like more of the mainstream stuff like Metallica and Pantera.... Well now that i think about it i got one friend into Dream Theater
18.09.2011 - 06:07
Gelare
My younger sister. she used to listen to industrial and Nu stuff. now she has expanded her musical taste and she listens to some heavy, melodeath and BM stuff.
18.09.2011 - 23:54
dr.doom
I got a few friends into the easy-listening kind of stuff, like Opeth, Agalloch, Kvelertaak etc. None of them seem to really care for the more harsh BM that I usually listen to though, but some tolerate it.
24.09.2011 - 16:05
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I worked at a Fnac store for 2 years, where i managed the Hard n' heavy section. There i influenced a lot of people to listen to metal.
Example: i remember this 12/13 year old kid that came to me with his mom. He was learning how to play drums, and wanted something cool to listen to. He was into pop/rock and those were already too easy to play, so i made him listen to some melodic power metal bands such as Kamelot, Rhapsody and progressive bands as Dream Theater and Symphony X. The kid was instantly hooked, and so was his mom! ahah
27.09.2011 - 02:37
Ankläger
Well, I got my older brother in Iron Maiden and Rush in 2007, and my cousin into System of a Down... in 2004 or 2005 I think (before Mesmerize)

Tried to get my other (also older) brother into Nile and Gorgoroth, which he dug for a little bit, but then he completely dropped them (also, I tried to get him to listen to Gallhammer's Ill Innocence, but he wouldn't even touch it)

My old school friend is one of those mallcore "LOOK AT ME!!! I LISTEN TO MEHTULLLLL!!!" kind of guys, and his reaction to Immortal was priceless...
I've recommended at least 100 thrash/death/black metal bands for him to check out, but he thinks his Lamb of God, Disturbed, Slipknot, and HIM albums are heavy enough.
01.10.2011 - 01:30
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Well, school has started since two weeks, and until now, I got a "Lamb Of God" and "A Day To Remember" poser to listen to Nile and Cryptopsy.
04.01.2012 - 02:49
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
I've gotten my two best female buddies to listen to a lot of metal, but they never were the exploring types, nor music junkie types, so they just have a pile of metal among their regular upbeat 80's pop/rock stuff. I also got my best male buddy who had listened to hardcore and punk to start on some Finnish bands, and he is a full-on metalhead now, converting a lot of people himself.

My boyfriend is the first person that showed me enjoyable bands with harsh vocals almost three years ago (never had a problem with them, but his bands were the first I liked) and I returned the favor by getting him into prog in the past year. I pretty much try to keep him updated with all the shizzle I review and discover here, but he is of the slow-absorbing types and tries to savour his albums much longer than I do. I tried the similar treatment on my brother and sister but to no avail :/ My mom also tolerates every ballad I play her, and also some non-slowish stuff as well.
----
7.0 means the album is good
04.01.2012 - 20:21
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Proud to say I made my three little cousins metalheads, now we go to the concerts together and they started a band...amazing!!
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
04.01.2012 - 20:24
NLthrasher
My mother and Brother kind of and we have a group of friends that we hang out with regularly with mostly metalheads and most people that join our group eventually turn into liking metal.