Metal Storm logo
Burzum

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 09:54
This band needs no introduction.

To start things off, what do people think of Vargs' writings about paganism that are posted on his website ((www.burzum.org)?
17.01.2010 - 00:41
Detric
King Of Twilight
Haha okay thats why I didnt understand
04.02.2010 - 23:45
rageing atheist
Account deleted
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belus/dp/B0036Y88YW

New Burzum samples. Sound boring imo, also the vocals sound like Average Joe black metal (read: generic as fuck).

I do hope that the full album forces me to eat my own words when it comes out, but somehow I doubt it. I don't think that I'm going to buy it without listening to it first.
05.02.2010 - 20:48
Slayer666
Written by [user id=23267] on 04.02.2010 at 23:45

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belus/dp/B0036Y88YW

New Burzum samples. Sound boring imo, also the vocals sound like Average Joe black metal (read: generic as fuck).

I do hope that the full album forces me to eat my own words when it comes out, but somehow I doubt it. I don't think that I'm going to buy it without listening to it first.

Hmm.... You're right, this has the potential to be Burzum's very worst. But I won't judge it before I hear all of it.
Vocals sound pretty good, though. I like 'em better than the vocals before "Filosofem".
07.02.2010 - 11:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I didn't mind the Burzum samples, then again I was never a particularly obsessed with them so I've no real precedent to be disappointed which is in contrast to Beherit's recent one which was the disappointment of last year despite not sounding a million miles away from the new Burzum.
07.02.2010 - 12:46
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I will wait for full album to make judgements
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.02.2010 - 20:06
Inlé
Same as Ellrohir.

I mean, it stands to reason that the début album, Det Som Engang Var and even Filosofem would probably sound shit as a cluster of disembodied X-second-long samples.
08.02.2010 - 10:06
Elfeder
I hope that the album won't be lame, because as you see he changed the logo to something more gay =) I guess he had harsh time in jail
hope that didn't changed his music
08.02.2010 - 12:01
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
People i know who have listened to some "preview album version" are quite content so far...i cant confirm, i want to wait for the final version
----

20.02.2010 - 23:19
Detric
King Of Twilight
All the songs are up on Youtube already. I think it sounds just as I was hoping for. Like a Burzum album recorded in 94, but wasnt released until now. Fucking amazing. Does anyone know if he used programmed drums for this release? Sounds like it in some parts..
21.02.2010 - 05:24
Morka Graven
I personally found Vargsmal very baseless. He is arguing that norse culture needs to be kept by removing all of the judeo-christians yet he doesn't explain WHY norse culture needs to be kept.

As a nihilist however, I disagree with most people's arguments.
----
We can't keep on fighting in a world where nothing is of importance.
23.02.2010 - 11:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well Belus sounds more or less exactly like I pictured it would and for that reason I have to say I really like it. I had no real expectations of it, I didn't think it would be anything revolutionary (after all this comes from an archaic, old-fashioned mind -but - it doesn't exactly stink of unoriginality either) and it's a very easy album to slip into; quite melancholic and melodic with just enough of a nod to his earlier stuff to keep most fans happy. I don't think it's out of place at all by today's standards.
23.02.2010 - 19:49
Slayer666
So far, Belus strikes me as quite boring. Perhaps I need to give it some more time, but after these 2 listens I gave it, it completely fails to impress me.
The vocals are pretty cool now, though. I was always annoyed by the pre-Filosofem vocals.
23.02.2010 - 23:31
Lord_Regnier
Written by Slayer666 on 23.02.2010 at 19:49

So far, Belus strikes me as quite boring. Perhaps I need to give it some more time, but after these 2 listens I gave it, it completely fails to impress me.
The vocals are pretty cool now, though. I was always annoyed by the pre-Filosofem vocals.

Vocals are indeed not godawful like they were on the old albums. However, the music is utterly boring because it follows the 'take a riff and stretch it to an entire album' formula.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
24.02.2010 - 00:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Lord_Regnier on 23.02.2010 at 23:31

it follows the 'take a riff and stretch it to an entire album' formula.

which was always the reason why i like Burzum so much...
----

24.02.2010 - 00:17
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Slayer666 on 11.01.2010 at 21:52

A fail so epic, it's almost a win...

You do know that the video is just a joke?
----
24.02.2010 - 01:34
Lord_Regnier
Written by Ellrohir on 24.02.2010 at 00:17

Written by Lord_Regnier on 23.02.2010 at 23:31

it follows the 'take a riff and stretch it to an entire album' formula.

which was always the reason why i like Burzum so much...

An a reason why I always found it tedious. Way too repetitive.
----
24.02.2010 - 05:17
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Detric on 20.02.2010 at 23:19

All the songs are up on Youtube already. I think it sounds just as I was hoping for. Like a Burzum album recorded in 94, but wasnt released until now. Fucking amazing. Does anyone know if he used programmed drums for this release? Sounds like it in some parts..

You have to be pretty desperate to hear the album on YouTube quality
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
24.02.2010 - 08:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Dont know how about you, but i usually dont mind YT quality of sound... sometimes it is really bad, yes, but most of the uploads are just "ok"...
----

24.02.2010 - 15:14
Slayer666
@Regnier
I like that formula of his, only this time the riffs are.... crap. I didn't have the time to give it one more listen, so my earlier impression about it being boring as fuck still stays.
@Warman
Haha, yeah, of course, my post was also somewhat of a joke as well.
24.02.2010 - 17:56
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I don't see what's wrong with Youtube quality, good enough for making sense of the riffs and the way the songs are composed.
24.02.2010 - 18:02
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
But well... the album (probably) already has a raw production, and listening to it in a quality that is not the best possible can make it difficult to hear the album and make a fair judgement.

Sure, you can notice the riffs and song structures, but will most likely not enjoy it the same way you would in a good quality mp3 or flac.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
24.02.2010 - 18:24
rageing atheist
Account deleted
That's right but imo it's good enough for a preview, to get an idea whether something's worth downloading/buying or not. If I won't like something with Youtube quality I probably won't like it with better quality either. Then again, perfect sound quality is not very important me, I still sometimes enjoy listening to 10+ years old tapes.
24.02.2010 - 18:54
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Yeah, its a matter of taste after all.

But to me it feels like listening to a preview (whether on YouTube or Myspace), is like spoil the album, you'll not get surprised. You kill the feeling of simply lying down, press play and drown in the album. And you kill that feeling with something that's not even the best representation of the band's performance.

That's why im still waiting to have proper listen in one of my favorite bands comeback.
----

----
25.02.2010 - 00:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Slayer666 on 24.02.2010 at 15:14

@Warman
Haha, yeah, of course, my post was also somewhat of a joke as well.

Good, I almost worried.
----
25.02.2010 - 17:15
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Don't know what's with the YT thing, you can find stuff on their with pretty good quality actually and, there is definitely a lot of absolute shit quality as well.

Just downloaded a compilation of all the preview samples off Belus.... I'm fairly intrigued by what I heard, seems to retain that old low-fi quality that the genre was founded upon. Obviously it's hard to really make much of a judgement based off 29 second clips but, the riffs sound decent, the vocals will hopefully incorporate some of the signature wails that Varg became known for because, otherwise the vocals are rather plain. Should be a good release none the less.
25.02.2010 - 18:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Bitter Dawn on 25.02.2010 at 17:15

Just downloaded a compilation of all the preview samples off Belus.... I'm fairly intrigued by what I heard, seems to retain that old low-fi quality that the genre was founded upon. Obviously it's hard to really make much of a judgement based off 29 second clips but, the riffs sound decent, the vocals will hopefully incorporate some of the signature wails that Varg became known for because, otherwise the vocals are rather plain. Should be a good release none the less.

Pretty sure the album is devoid of any of his trademark angry wails, instead, in its place are a smattering of clean vocals. The whole thing is surprisingly subdued.
28.02.2010 - 16:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
My opinion in a review here.

After so many years of prison, it's pretty clear that the (Depressive) Black metal movement has surpassed him. Burzum is now reduced to a second-rate version of itself.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.02.2010 - 16:32
Mikyz
Written by Lucas on 28.02.2010 at 16:30

My opinion in a review here.

After so many years of prison, it's pretty clear that the (Depressive) Black metal movement has surpassed him. Burzum is now reduced to a second-rate version of itself.

Makes you wonder what he would have sounded like if he didn't go to prison.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
28.02.2010 - 16:35
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Me wonder if someone would know him now if he didn't go to prison...and how the black metal scene would look like...
----

28.02.2010 - 16:45
Lord_Regnier
Written by Ellrohir on 28.02.2010 at 16:35

Me wonder if someone would know him now if he didn't go to prison...and how the black metal scene would look like...

I think Burzum would be known nevertheless nowadays, because Black Metal grew bigger with time and because of the internet and all. And I think the scene would be the same.

However, Burzum would only be a second-rate band among the lot, instead of being so ridiculously overrated.
----