Metal Storm logo
Gorgoroth

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 10:18
"In 1994 Gorgoroth released their cult album "Pentagram" and soon became one of the leading acts of the growing scene. "Antichrist", their follow-up release, was even more successful and featured Frost (Satyricon) on drums. The album made a strong impact and consequently led to the bands first live performances in Norway and England (with Cradle of Filth) and finally to their first tour in 1996 with Dissection and Satyricon. With yet another drummer in their ranks, Gorgoroth recorded "Under The Sign Of Hell" and later prepared their first European Headliner-Tour. Nuclear Blast was highly impressed and felt a desire to court the band; by 1998 Gorgoroth had been added to Nuclear Blast's official band roster. The first result of this new marriage was "Destroyer". The band now featured Gaahl on vocals, whose grim and aggressive voice led them to another level. A tour with Cradle of Filth followed, as well as plenty of festival and headlining shows. In 2000 "Incipit Satan" was recorded at Sunlight Studios and showed a new era in the realm of Gorgoroth. The songs, while a bit more refined and far more mature, still maintained their custom unyielding bestiality.

It took another three years, until the follow up to "Incipit Satan" was recorded. After the departure of guitar player Tormentor, Gorgoroth continue on as a four piece, adding another guitar player when it comes time for touring and live shows. "Twilight of the Idols" shows Gorgoroth from several sides and could possibly be the darkest chapter in their career. Finally it is traditional Black Metal of Norwegian origin, performed by the ones who know how it works and who do it the best."

Members:
Infernus (Roger Tiegs) - Vocals, Guitars
Gaahl - Vocals
King Ov Hell - Bass
Dirge Rep - Drums (Live)
Eihwaz (formerly Skagg) - Guitars (Live)

01.07.2010 - 14:26
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Born-2rise: Generic metalheads, bm fanboys and the like are a different story all together. My own personal beliefs are a separate matter and, I very much agree to the actions of the past. Beholding a certain ideology and being prepared to carry out certain actions are what defines true adherents of black metal from all the kiddies on the bandwagon. But, I suppose even then there are exceptions with certain idiots, it's really a fine line.

VezzyRattlehead: Well man, I'll agree with you on Gaahl's fickle mannerisms and kicking up so much drama but, his torturing stint was a necessary action.
I am going to have to strongly disagree with your presumptions regarding what "most" black metal musicians think and feel about church arson. As I was saying earlier about ideology and the like, any true to heart bm musician wouldn't "hate" the past's burning of churches and, murder just for good measure as, true bm ideology is about misanthropy - a large portion being dedicated to the downfall of judeo-christianity. It's also less of a protest and more about setting an example, a "quid por quo" if you will.
03.07.2010 - 15:41
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Bitter Dawn on 01.07.2010 at 14:26
VezzyRattlehead: Well man, I'll agree with you on Gaahl's fickle mannerisms and kicking up so much drama but, his torturing stint was a necessary action.
I am going to have to strongly disagree with your presumptions regarding what "most" black metal musicians think and feel about church arson. As I was saying earlier about ideology and the like, any true to heart bm musician wouldn't "hate" the past's burning of churches and, murder just for good measure as, true bm ideology is about misanthropy - a large portion being dedicated to the downfall of judeo-christianity. It's also less of a protest and more about setting an example, a "quid por quo" if you will.

I'm sorry, but I meant to say that most black metal artists look down to, blaspheme or hate CHRISTIANITY, not church arson. I didn't word it well, I apologize.
I still think this whole "black metal ideology" is utter BS, as it's merely just a style of music. Although tied to such themes, acts and beliefs, forming an ideology on a metal subgenre is stupid to me (I'm not denying that "BM ideology" doesn't exist though).

Also, why do you think Gaahl's torturing a man was necessary?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
03.07.2010 - 17:52
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by vezzy on 03.07.2010 at 15:41

I'm sorry, but I meant to say that most black metal artists look down to, blaspheme or hate CHRISTIANITY, not church arson. I didn't word it well, I apologize.
I still think this whole "black metal ideology" is utter BS, as it's merely just a style of music. Although tied to such themes, acts and beliefs, forming an ideology on a metal subgenre is stupid to me (I'm not denying that "BM ideology" doesn't exist though).

Also, why do you think Gaahl's torturing a man was necessary?

No problem man, I had sort of wondered about the church comment. BM ideology may seem like bullshit to a lot of people but, it's less forming a belief around music and rather music being one facet of having a certain mind frame, one which has unfortunately become quite trendy and watered down because of it's popularity. Now, some one who gets into say Power Metal and has a serious urge to literally seek out and fight fantastical creatures would be stupid lol - I know that's now what power metal is all about but, I'm sure you and others can see my point.

I think Gaahl's actions were both necessary and justified because, he needed to set an example, set a sort of alpha dominance in effect. People need to realize that one can not just go around heckling others with out just cause and/or, with out being prepared for controversy or retaliation. I can see that statement being a run away just waiting but, I'll entertain said notion none the less.
09.07.2010 - 14:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 30.06.2010 at 17:08
At least Glen Benton was being sarcastic.

Yeah, he says that now, but you can be sure in the early days of Deicide, he was deadly serious with the whole ''I'll kill myself when Im 33'' type stuff. He's only backtracking on it now, because he doesnt want to look like a coward. lol

You could actually say at least Gaahl means what he says, and is true to himself. However weird/bizarre that might seem to other people. Im not condoning the torture or any of that stuff, cos thats just wrong. But Glen Benton is all mouth.
09.07.2010 - 15:06
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.07.2010 at 14:30

Written by vezzy on 30.06.2010 at 17:08
At least Glen Benton was being sarcastic.

Yeah, he says that now, but you can be sure in the early days of Deicide, he was deadly serious with the whole ''I'll kill myself when Im 33'' type stuff. He's only backtracking on it now, because he doesnt want to look like a coward. lol

You could actually say at least Gaahl means what he says, and is true to himself. However weird/bizarre that might seem to other people. Im not condoning the torture or any of that stuff, cos thats just wrong. But Glen Benton is all mouth.

I guess you're right. Benton never took it as far as Gaahl, although Benton did burn an inverted cross on his forehead, which makes him look hilarious.
----
21.07.2010 - 16:31
DarkBlooded
This is kind of unrelated. ive been going crazy for the past few days trying to figure out the name of this band, and this topic has a lot of posts and its about something similar so i figured maybe someone here knows what im looking for.

theres this black thrash band that i think had or has a member of immortal and i feel like its like black or blood or dark and then a weapon like hammer or axe or blade or sword or something. i know this is broad, and its not like hellhammer or something. it may not have a member of immortal in it, but its definitely a black thrash band and definitely something at least somewhat like what im talking about. any help would be appreciated so i can stop going crazy.
21.07.2010 - 16:38
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by DarkBlooded on 21.07.2010 at 16:31

This is kind of unrelated. ive been going crazy for the past few days trying to figure out the name of this band, and this topic has a lot of posts and its about something similar so i figured maybe someone here knows what im looking for.

theres this black thrash band that i think had or has a member of immortal and i feel like its like black or blood or dark and then a weapon like hammer or axe or blade or sword or something. i know this is broad, and its not like hellhammer or something. it may not have a member of immortal in it, but its definitely a black thrash band and definitely something at least somewhat like what im talking about. any help would be appreciated so i can stop going crazy.

The band, Dead to this World, has an ex-Immortal and ex-Gorgoroth member, and they're black/thrash. That album fucking rules too, so check them out even if that's not the band you're thinking of
21.07.2010 - 16:40
DarkBlooded
It may have dead in it actually, youre right. thats not them, but i will check them out. sounds awesome.
28.07.2010 - 07:48
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
28.07.2010 - 13:16
FOOCK Nam
Lol, is that real and Gaahl is there ...?
29.07.2010 - 08:55
Javier_000
Written by FOOCK Nam on 28.07.2010 at 13:16

o_O !!!! they are humans too.
----
i freaks my draulics phuckin' hoes in college... beetches swinging on my nuts is so stylish...
29.07.2010 - 11:49
FOOCK Nam
Written by Javier_000 on 29.07.2010 at 08:55

Yeah, of course, they are and always, I dont mean anything bad, just find it funny and cute .
29.07.2010 - 16:23
Javier_000
Written by FOOCK Nam on 29.07.2010 at 11:49

Written by Javier_000 on 29.07.2010 at 08:55

Yeah, of course, they are and always, I dont mean anything bad, just find it funny and cute .

i guess i knew that so i made up that joke. Heh.
----
i freaks my draulics phuckin' hoes in college... beetches swinging on my nuts is so stylish...
29.07.2010 - 19:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
That pic is awesome! xD
27.11.2011 - 02:10
king_matt
What's the best album by them to start with?
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
27.11.2011 - 02:38
Savopipo
Gaahl is gay and not even in the band any nore. Pest is the new vocalist I think and the best record to start with is "Under the Sign of Hell" or "Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt". SATAN!
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
27.11.2011 - 03:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by king_matt on 27.11.2011 at 02:10
What's the best album by them to start with?

Antichrist. At least that's where I'd recommend any newcomers to start.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.11.2011 - 14:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.11.2011 at 03:26

Antichrist. At least that's where I'd recommend any newcomers to start.

Pentagram > Antichrist

IMO.
----
27.11.2011 - 14:32
Slayer666
Written by vezzy on 27.11.2011 at 14:28

Pentagram > Antichrist

This.

Pentagram > Under the Sign of Hell > Antichrist > everything else by Gorgoroth.

Although, Pentagram > 95% classic (unmodified in any shape or form) black. That album is concentrated awesomeness.
27.11.2011 - 14:36
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Slayer666 on 27.11.2011 at 14:32

This.

Pentagram > Under the Sign of Hell > Antichrist > everything else by Gorgoroth.

Although, Pentagram > 95% classic (unmodified in any shape or form) black. That album is concentrated awesomeness.

See, Troy?

Even fascist, traitorous Serbs like S666 know what's blacker.

And it ain't Turkish coffee, I might add.
----
27.11.2011 - 14:39
Slayer666
Written by vezzy on 27.11.2011 at 14:36

See, Troy?

Even fascist, traitorous Serbs like S666 know what's blacker.

And it ain't Turkish coffee, I might add.

You backstabbing Bulgarian crackhorez should know even better.

I swear I heard someone say "He went Bulgarian on us" when referring to a buddy who acted like a total bitch and went behind everyone's back.
27.11.2011 - 14:44
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Slayer666 on 27.11.2011 at 14:39
I swear I heard someone say "He went Bulgarian on us" when referring to a buddy who acted like a total bitch and went behind everyone's back.

The Balkans never were brothers to begin with. But yeah, the Bulgarian mentality is one of the more humorous and chauvinistic ones.

Not as much as you dumbfuck Serbs though, WHY I'LL-

...hey, Turkish coffee is blacker.

Antichrist still is kickass though.
----
27.11.2011 - 14:46
Slayer666
Written by vezzy on 27.11.2011 at 14:44

Antichrist still is kickass though.

Yup. Got myself an Antichrist shirt too, straight from Bergen.
My favorite piece of clothing, ATM.
27.11.2011 - 19:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Don't get me wrong, Pentagram is still a great release, I just prefer Antichrist. It's basically a high 8 vs. mid 8 kind of difference, something subtle. Either release is worth listening to if you're getting into the early Norwegian scene.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."