Metal Storm logo
Clean vocals: Men vs Women

Original post

Posted by MétalNoir, 16.02.2009 - 19:40
NB: CLEAN vocals...

Pretty simple... I personnally prefer male vocals, except for operatic vocals, where Tarja and that girl form D:S:O kick asses! But the guys from Symphony X, Vintersorg, Turisas, Tiamat and many other bands manage to send chills down my spine when they sing. Male vocalists can sing with both beauty and aggresivity, what women can hardly do, except if they growl, but we're talking about clean vocals, here, so...

Poll

Do you usually enjoy female or male vocalists the most?

Male
Both
Female
Clean vocals suck in metal

Total votes: 112
21.02.2009 - 14:48
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 21.02.2009 at 01:28

Written by [user id=1909] on 20.02.2009 at 17:26

Its too fairy and "phantom of the opera", which is gay.

May it be known! Liking women sing is sooo gay! Real man prefer trolls over fairies! They're more cuddly.

And there just had to be a tool voting "Clean vocals suck in metal".

Well if you cant keep ur panties on if someone disagrees with you or have a different opinion then you better get the fuck off this forum, cozz I PROMISE you I will disagree with you on many things and we dont want you to waste your panties now do we?
21.02.2009 - 15:11
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Written by [user id=1909] on 21.02.2009 at 14:48

Well if you cant keep ur panties on if someone disagrees with you or have a different opinion then you better get the fuck off this forum, cozz I PROMISE you I will disagree with you on many things and we dont want you to waste your panties now do we?

So, when you disagree that woman should sing clean vocals in metal, because that's errr...gay, that's okay? But not the other way around?
And what's with the PROMISE thing, are you trying to "scare" me out of discussion?
I just mocked your silly women = fairies = gay statement with an even sillier statement, no need to get all worked up.

Also, my 'tool'* remark, wasn't aimed at you, since I can't know what did you vote for. It was an observation. If you found yourself in it, well that's your problem.

*This remark was made for a simple reason - maybe there would be no growls/shrieks if there were no clean vocals at start. With growing popularity, metal evolved and came to musical and vocal diversity we have today. Therefore if the voter doesn't like clean vocals, he should acknowledge them as part of metal.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
21.02.2009 - 18:06
Ernis
狼獾
Written by [user id=1909] on 21.02.2009 at 14:48

Everyone has got the rights for having an opinion....if I think something is poor for me, then it's my opinion and my own business, if someone else disagrees, then that's fine....that's matter of taste....Nobody has condemned you for having an opinion of yours....and nobody has disagreed with your opinion either, to be honest...

The reason you draw the attention was that you expressed your opinion in a very banal way....(yes we've spoken among friends "Oh, this band X is so shitty!" but that's speech and we basically take our words back immediately since we're joking anyway....) If you write something in the style "Oh, it's so shitty and gay!" then in written form that looks really bad....that's the only thing that irritated and not your opinion itself...

And your reaction "you better get the fuck off this forum, cozz I PROMISE you I will disagree with you on many things and we dont want you to waste your panties now do we?" is even more banal than your argument before.....You are virtually addressing a fellow user in an inappropriate manner just because you were shown how inappropriately you expressed yourself previously.
21.02.2009 - 18:58
Nardy7
Personally, I am a fan of all styles of singing, whether it be clean vocals, growls, grunts, etc. and by no means are clean vocals in metal "gay." Sure, everyone has their opinion, but that's just the type of thing a person that hasn't the slightest clue would say.

Anyway, back on subject. In the debate of men and women singing clean vocals, I would have to say I like female vocals better. But hey, that's just me. They just sound a lot more "crisp." I do also like females that don't don't sing clean vocals. (Arch Enemy, Straight Line Stitch)

That doesn't mean I don't like male clean vocals, either. I mean, Tobias Sammet is a great clean vocalist. (I'm sure I'll get some unpleasant comments on that statement.)

But, I guess that about wraps it up. There's my opinion.
21.02.2009 - 20:30
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Nardy7 on 21.02.2009 at 18:58

That doesn't mean I don't like male clean vocals, either. I mean, Tobias Sammet is a great clean vocalist. (I'm sure I'll get some unpleasant comments on that statement.)

Yeah you predicted it right!

Tobias Sammet is barely a male. I figured you'd list off some interesting male singers, but Tobias has just pretty bland flower-power vocals. Which is another reason female clean vocals are really forgettable - half of them sound identical to one another.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.02.2009 - 20:47
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 21.02.2009 at 15:11

So, when you disagree that woman should sing clean vocals in metal, because that's errr...gay, that's okay? But not the other way around?

The difference is I just came onto the thread and voiced my opinion and then god knows who started throwing their sarcastic crap around about "real men like metal that sound like trolls" or whatever. When I said its gay I meant it out of personal opinion, I wasnt having a go at people who like it, to each their own its just not my cup of tea because I think it makes the music sound crap - ive always thought that and I will, and I wont pretend that I like it just for being agreeable.

And Im sorry for my earlier remarks, no threats intended but I felt I was being attacked for not liking female vocals. And whats wrong about someone expressing their dislike for female vox? Or do people on this thread expect everyone to react like robots: "i like female vocals", I dislike female vocals" - ending up with 100 identical responses without elaborating? But again, just because I say its gay, its stupid for people to go on some wild goose chase about me calling them gay.

Marcel H and I have learned by agreeing to disagree and same should go for other people as well - if people are gonna have a fit about me slagging off things they like then things are gonna get heated - thats what i meant with the whole "PROMISE" statement, because I do tend to be very disagreeable and of different opinion than many on here. So again sorry if I "flamed" or whatever the term is.
23.02.2009 - 22:10
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
What the hell does sexual orientation have with music tastes, anyway??? Some straight men go nuts for Village People or Madonna and some gay guys love Brutal Death metal, so give it a break, dudes...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
24.02.2009 - 19:54
IronBlackZepp
I dont listen to alot of female singers, but my friend likes nightwish which is a pretty cool band with a great female singer, well the original singer was good anyway. But in metal their are more men singing. But female fronted bands are cool, I dont listen to enough of em, but I do prefer male vocals in metal.
24.02.2009 - 22:11
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
There are a lot of good female fronted bands that i enjoy, yet i voted for males, all the vocalists that make me go "wow, the vocals in this part is sooooooo AWESOME" are male
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
27.02.2009 - 20:11
jd-inflames
Account deleted
I enjoy both. Personally, I prefer clean vocals over growling, and I prefer to let the instrumentalists take over the sound over the vocalist. I like a little screaming in there every once in a while, but will always prefer a smoother sound.
02.03.2009 - 21:17
I really prefer female voices..male aren't bad but i just like female voices a lot more
----
26.06.2009 - 11:34
Bleak
Account deleted
Written by face_your_demons on 02.03.2009 at 21:17

I really prefer female voices..male aren't bad but i just like female voices a lot more

yeah me to...i think they are better...
26.06.2009 - 19:03
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I voted for both
26.06.2009 - 21:50
If clean vocals are the option, I have to go with females. This isn't always true, but clean vocals on dudes tends to piss me off. Females can pull it off better IMO

If we were talking about death metal growls though, I definitely prefer male.
27.06.2009 - 20:40
tulkas
el parcero
Well, I do admire the fact that many women have very nice voices, and can hit really high notes and whatever more, but I still enjoy more a man singing (even more when it's guttural vocals). When it's a woman singing, yes, she can put a lot of emotion to what she's singing, but so can many male singers, so... yeah, I voted male.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
19.08.2009 - 01:36
Razorback
Definitly male,even if i am girl i don't think female vocals are good in metal music.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
11.09.2009 - 08:55
Kimiwind
Speed Metal God
Female vocals rules only in black metal bands !! when the clean vocals come out after a real kick ass harsh vocals !!
----
Wintermoon Calls you, Follow It And You Will Be Proud Forever.
13.09.2009 - 06:13
VPeter
Both, but sadly most metal bands don't use it corectly or just use a generic soprano.
16.09.2009 - 00:17
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
I love male clean voices. Women don't mix with my ears.
08.10.2009 - 02:37
ToMegaTherion
I like both. But I think it depends on the individual more than anything. I must say though a good quality female vocalist is always an asset, but then you could say the same for male as well. I suppose the best way to judge might be to list your favorite five singers. For me in no particular order...
Mat Barlow (Iced Earth) - Male
Simone Simons (Epica) - Female
Roy Khan (Kamelot) - Male
Ralf Sheepers (Primal Fear) - Male
Laura De Luca (Tystnaden) - Female
08.10.2009 - 18:54
Hamird
Lieutenant
It's complicated.. For instance, Mikael Akerfeldt beat every single woman/man in Metal as a clean vocalist.. But in other hand, Anneke van Giersbergen is better than many male vocalists.. So not both, but it's can not consider which one overcome to the other as well..
08.10.2009 - 19:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Easy, male vocals.
It is very very very very very rare I like a female's voice in metal. The reason being is that they lack what is totally necessary in metal imo, namely... POWER. 99% of the women singing in metal lack the power to equal the instrumentation. Yes, I know it seems like they possess the power, but that is only on albums. Live they downright suck in 99% of the cases.

Only exceptions for me to this rule are:

Dawn Crosby - Détente & Fear Of God (may you finally have found your peace, girl. Still thinking of you after all these years)
Rachel Heyzer - Occult, Sinister, Infinited Hate
Corinne v.d. Brand - Acrostichon
Dana Duffey - Mythic, Demonic Christ
Runhold Gammelsäeter - Thorr's Hammer

yep, only five. And NO, the little troll from Arch Enemy does nto possess power and is not extreme and is not good at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.10.2009 - 23:54
FOOCK Nam
I like both clean Men and female but for clean I dont like too much symphonic or tenor II (or maybe I) male vocal, for female clean I like just merely vocal like Within Temptation, as for again opera high tone symphonic, no not my favorite.
27.12.2009 - 19:24
Sunn174
Written by Hamird on 08.10.2009 at 18:54

It's complicated.. For instance, Mikael Akerfeldt beat every single woman/man in Metal as a clean vocalist.. But in other hand, Anneke van Giersbergen is better than many male vocalists.. So not both, but it's can not consider which one overcome to the other as well..

I was reading, you gave that example, and you have no idea how much I just facepalmed. And I love the voice of a female, even in metal, it sounds so ....enticing. Really grips you unlike more generic male vocals, which are the most prevalent. (And most of the male vocals sound painfully alike)
29.12.2009 - 04:22
I_Die_Often
Written by [user id=28338] on 10.09.2009 at 02:15

I prefer both but it depends in my mood

yeah! What he said!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
30.12.2009 - 22:23
mortjoyeux
Clean vocals? Male for sure, even if their vocals are clean you can totally hear the emotion going on behind their words.
The only female I like who can srsly own in a metal band (imo) is Marta Gabriel from Crystal Viper. Her voice is killer and was made for heavy metal.
I tend to find most clean female vocals in metal to be a bit...boring. They don't really mix well with the music most of the time, comes out sounding TOO clean oppose to clean with metal.
HMMM..
05.01.2010 - 12:54
YIN
KYO from dir en grey.
06.01.2010 - 17:19
Arrwyn
Written by Doc G. on 21.02.2009 at 20:30

Written by Nardy7 on 21.02.2009 at 18:58

Yeah you predicted it right!

Tobias Sammet is barely a male. I figured you'd list off some interesting male singers, but Tobias has just pretty bland flower-power vocals. Which is another reason female clean vocals are really forgettable - half of them sound identical to one another.

Hahaha, I absolutely concur.
23.11.2012 - 09:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by CobiWan1993 on 23.11.2012 at 08:53

I don't want to sound sexist or anything, but i definitely think men in general put more effort into metal singing than women do.

I'm sorry, but that is totally a sexist comment. I myself totally dislike clean female vocals in metal, though that has nothing to do with thinking that men "put more effort" into singing metal than women do. To me, it's a very simple case of men's voices being a much better fit for metal music than women's voices. I only enjoy a tiny number of female metal vocalists, and they all have harsh vocals, and ironically, sound much more like men than women. Clean female voices just don't work in metal for me, it has nothing to do with effort though, it's just nature.
23.11.2012 - 09:58
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.11.2012 at 09:37

Written by CobiWan1993 on 23.11.2012 at 08:53

I don't want to sound sexist or anything, but i definitely think men in general put more effort into metal singing than women do.

I'm sorry, but that is totally a sexist comment. I myself totally dislike clean female vocals in metal, though that has nothing to do with thinking that men "put more effort" into singing metal than women do. To me, it's a very simple case of men's voices being a much better fit for metal music than women's voices. I only enjoy a tiny number of female metal vocalists, and they all have harsh vocals, and ironically, sound much more like men than women. Clean female voices just don't work in metal for me, it has nothing to do with effort though, it's just nature.

Yeah, I had a feeling this would backfire. I apologize for this, I didn't mean for it to come out that way. I'll delete my comment.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).