Metal Storm logo
New Releases (2009)

Original post

Posted by Deadmeat, 11.03.2009 - 08:47
I was always thinking that something's missing from the General forum, but for months I couldn't find that. So, here you can discuss everything about this years releases. Saying which album is the best or the worst or even which album you found just average. You can suggest good debut albums from unknown bands or resent with a new album which you expexted to be much better!

For me, I liked a lot the new Kreator's album, Hordes Of Chaos, which I think that will be one of the best thrash releases in 2009. I also listened a bit the new Cattle Decapitation's album which is great to, but I've not listened to it enough to have a fair opinion.
27.03.2009 - 21:24
-Soulreaper-
So far this year hasnt been very exciting for metal releases. Sure Kreator's was GOOD but nothing too special. Looked forward to Hammerfall's but was very dissapointed. The only ones that have stuck out to me so far is Yggdrasil-Vedergallning and Black Messiah-First War of the World. But I havent given up hope yet. There are still many many releases this year that I look forward too.
28.03.2009 - 03:58
VPeter
As expected Candlemass is already ruling 2009.
28.03.2009 - 13:27
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by VPeter on 28.03.2009 at 03:58

As expected Candlemass is already ruling 2009.

Agree, their album is great. But I found Isole one slightly better.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
29.03.2009 - 15:15
Elio
Red Nightmare
I don't dig Grindcore a lot, but Mumakil can interest the lovers of this genre. Better than Napalm Death's IMO.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
30.03.2009 - 15:54
InnerSelf
proofread free
Well, after the last album from my dying bride i expected something even better but the album was averagegood and not what i was expecting
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
30.03.2009 - 16:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
What I've heard this year so far, I can't remember a lot of the album names off the top of my head:

Fen - The Malediction Fields <3
Napalm Death - Whatever it's called
Amersouesresrst - However you spell it
Venetian Snares - Filth
The Prodigy - Thingy :[
Cobalt - GIN <3
Wolves in the Throne Room - The Black Cascade :[
Skaldic Curse - Stuff
Absu - Absu
Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II :[
Funeral Mist - Marantha
Merzbow - About 17 already
Isis - Eye-sis
My Dying Bride - Something :[
Tim Hecker - An Imaginary Country <3
Nadja - Something about a TV <3
Tenhornedbeast - Cursed something or other
Candlemass - Moonpigs
Giant Squid - Squidward
Orcustus - Orcustus
Ash Pool - (single)
Khanate - Clean Hands Go Foul <3
The Axis of Perdition - Urfe :[
Wyrd - Kalivägi :[
Lustmord - The Dark Places Of The Earth
General Surgery - Corpus In Extremis: Analysing Necrocriticism
Procer Veneficus - Convoy (Pt. 2)
Boredoms - Super Roots 10 - Ant 10 <3

Obviously the hearted ones are my fave this year so far. I think the Cobalt one is the best of the lot though, they somehow managed to top their sophomore with their slightly progressive but raw black metal. That Fen is also gorgeously melodic and rich in texture. The new Tim Hecker was a brilliant follow up of almost euphoric ambient and the Nadja cover album is a fascinating diversion from their ultra slow dirges; the Slayer and A-Ha covers are great.

Was let down by TAoP's stupid narrative driven ambient and BaN's excercise in nostalgia that got in the way of what BaN do best: experiment.
30.03.2009 - 18:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 30.03.2009 at 16:47

WTF?!?!?!?!?
I heard that there was something they never realesed but last time I checked there were 3 tracks and they would put it sometime on the future. [Although MA isn't the best source, I Know]

But... Damn.
Is it already available to buy? O.O
I'm so looking forward to listen the album.

Thanks for the info, you just got a virtual beer from me
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.03.2009 - 18:58
Elio
Red Nightmare

What I've heard this year so far, I can't remember a lot of the album names off the top of my head:

Venetian Snares - Filth
Cobalt - GIN <3
Skaldic Curse - Stuff
Absu - Absu
Funeral Mist - Marantha
Isis - Eye-sis
Candlemass - Moonpigs
Giant Squid - Squidward
Orcustus - Orcustus
Ash Pool - (single)

Obviously the hearted ones are my fave this year so far. I think the Cobalt one is the best of the lot though, they somehow managed to top their sophomore with their slightly progressive but raw black metal. That Fen is also gorgeously melodic and rich in texture. The new Tim Hecker was a brilliant follow up of almost euphoric ambient and the Nadja cover album is a fascinating diversion from their ultra slow dirges; the Slayer and A-Ha covers are great.

Was let down by TAoP's stupid narrative driven ambient and BaN's excercise in nostalgia that got in the way of what BaN do best: experiment.

wow that's more or less the same album I listened too. I had great expectations on Venetian Snares but it was bad. And I didn't know Boredoms has a new album
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
31.03.2009 - 09:36
Throne Dweller
The only thing I'm aware of that's got my blood tingling is Ensiferum and Wintersun's new albums. As un-informed as that is.

I'd love to know about more debuting black metal acts, and such. I'm finding a lot of new perspective and love for the genre.
31.03.2009 - 15:55
frontpage
So many good shit coming out this year

and has has been great so far:
OBSCURA - COSMOGENESIS
Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
Samael - Above
Waco Jesus - Sex drugs & death metal
Ektomorf - What doesn't kill me
Archgoat - The Light devouring darkness
Wolves in the throne room - black cascade

all rule. april is going to be great too ( eluveitie , crimson falls, god dethroned and hacride)
----
http://www.last.fm/user/frontpage2
31.03.2009 - 16:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Elio on 30.03.2009 at 18:58

Venetian Snares - Filth
Cobalt - GIN <3
Skaldic Curse - Stuff
Absu - Absu
Funeral Mist - Marantha
Isis - Eye-sis
Candlemass - Moonpigs
Giant Squid - Squidward
Orcustus - Orcustus
Ash Pool - (single)

wow that's more or less the same album I listened too. I had great expectations on Venetian Snares but it was bad. And I didn't know Boredoms has a new album

The Boredoms album is really jolly and pleasant 8] and yeah, the Venetian Snares album was pretty average, there was a couple of good songs but it really wasn't anything special.
31.03.2009 - 16:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.03.2009 at 18:20

WTF?!?!?!?!?
I heard that there was something they never realesed but last time I checked there were 3 tracks and they would put it sometime on the future. [Although MA isn't the best source, I Know]

But... Damn.
Is it already available to buy? O.O
I'm so looking forward to listen the album.

Thanks for the info, you just got a virtual beer from me

Heheh, no prob, I really like it, very dark ambient orientated.
03.04.2009 - 23:35
Elio
Red Nightmare
I'm just hearing new Peste Noire's, Ballade cuntre lo Anemi Francor...well, we all know this year is going good for black metal and I expected this to be really good, despite Neige's leaving. So, the music is awesome but the vocals are really not my thing here. I hope I'll digest them with more listenings.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
06.04.2009 - 12:45
optimus
Account deleted
Greetings from Nottingham!

Sorry if this isn't the best place to introduce myself, but I am currently unable to start a topic. Please correct me or move the topic if it shouldn't be here.

The debut, self-titled album by The Engines of Armageddon has just been released.

www.enginesofarmageddon.com
www.myspace.com/enginesofarmageddon

Album is available to order now, please see website/myspace for further info. Album sampler will be uploaded soon, followed by the single release 'FUCK THIS CHIP'.

See you on the road : )
11.04.2009 - 21:28
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I've heard so far:

Abrogation - Sarggeburt: It's a german death metal band, but this album isn't really good (although I liked "Das Blut Der Toten).
Absu - Absu: Also nothing outstanding.
Agathodaimon - Phoenix: I still have to find out if I like that one
Ajattara - Noitumaa: My favourite so far. Very interesting acoustic BM, you should try that one out!
Black Messiah - First War Of The World: Not bad, but something is missing
Candlemass - Death Magic Doom: I have to admit that I'm not the biggest Candlemass fan, but it was actually quite good
Ektomorf - What Doesn't Kill Me...: Meh, I think it's their worst one and I don't even like the others...
Eluveitie - Evocation I - The Arcane Dominion: Actually the song where everyone shouted "Oh my god, it's so poppy!" is imo by far the best of the album, but in a whole it's their worst one for sure.
Finsterforst - ...Zum Tode Hin: One of my favourites up to now! I really liked their first one and that one is even better!
Hatesphere - To The Nines: Not that what I usually like, but not bad.
Isis - Wavering Radiant: Another good album of this really great band
Lacuna Coil - Shallow Life: Not that bad, but they can do a lot better!
Lunatica - New Shores: Same as their previous albums, not bad, but there are better symphonic power bands out there
Mastodon - Crack The Skye: It's actually the first album I heard of Mastodon and it's simply not my style, so I can't say if it's good or not
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire: It's as good as everyone aspects of them
Nachtgeschrei - Am Rande Der Welt: The singer has a very strange voice (although I already knew that from there first album), but somehow I like them
Old Man's Child - Slaves Of The World: Solid album by one of my favourite bands.
Samael - Above: Hmm, difficult to say something about that one, but if you like industrial stuff then it's not bad
Subway To Sally - Kreuzfeuer: I like it because I'm a big fan of them, but they can do a lot better!
The Gathering - The West Pole: I like their previous works more, but it's still not bad at all.
Trollfest - Villanden: An often overlooked band which I really like
Vreid - Milorg: Solid BM stuff, I like it
Wyrd - Kalivägi: I really like that band and imo this album is a lot better than the previous one!

I also listened to some live albums, but there was nothing really interesting I think.
13.04.2009 - 23:01
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I'm listening to Adagio's Archangels In Black...this album is the heaviest of all their albums...they brought on a new vocalist in 2008 and he does a lot more growls and simply has a huskier voice then their three previous vocals...I guess the album is less progressive? Maybe it's still as progressive as their last albums but it's more straight forward and heavier...it is still of an epic nature and very melodic and with a lot of virtuosity...it's a catchier album I guess...this is a lot better than Dominate...
13.04.2009 - 23:02
tulkas
el parcero
So far i'm just waiting for novembers doom new abum. specially after listening to the new song thy posted on their myspace site, which i really liked a lot
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
02.05.2009 - 15:26
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
The new pestilence rules!!! also the new obscura!!! great new releases!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
03.05.2009 - 11:51
Hamird
Lieutenant
Not a good year so far for my Metal. Subway to Sally released a good album. And Crucified Barbara's new album was just great..
Just these two albums for me were satisfying. But I'm still hopeful about 2009, because Marduk, Pain of Salvation, Orphaned Land and Hypocrisy are still to come.
04.05.2009 - 23:18
รŸ
Problem?
Croire, Décroître by Unholy Matrimony sounds quite good. Unholy Matrimony is another project by Vladimir Cochet who I think is a musical genious. I still have yet to check out his other project Weeping Birth so that will be on my music to do list.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
05.05.2009 - 03:03
Konrad
Mormon Storm
My favorite release this year has probably been Kreator's. I think it is the most hard-hitting albums they have engineered in a long time, and I give them extra points just because they have been around for so long and haven't really deviated from their original albums...but they have certainly progressed.

Napalm's "Time Waits for No Slave" was also brutal as hell, and has great groove and as always a good meaning.

Cosmogenesis has also been in my rotation, and although I am kind of bored by the genre, Obscura really has some heart behind their solos. I'm not going to come down on them like people from metalreview.com just because the album came out after a bunch of others like it.

Dark Moor was an upsetting release because the first song is incredible and then it just kind of tapers off into mediocrity. Still, they've got talent.

Finsterforst's new one was the first effort i've heard from the band. I liked it, and hope they will get more original with their next LP.

Cattle Decapitation continues to progress with every album, and I really like the emotion added into The Harvest Floor. The music is starting to become one with the lyrics.

The new Absu is interesting, I need to put more time into it before I say anything about it.

Finally, the new Blut Aus Nord finally went back to their traditional style. I love this band, and this album. This is also one of my favorites this year...a great release!
----
Brujerizmo!
05.06.2009 - 23:11
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
I was kind of disappointed by both Lunatica and Delain. New Shores and April Rain, their new albums respectively, show very little if any innovation. In fact, new Delain is dangerously close to Gothic Rock instead of Melodic Metal. However, I was glad to discover Storm Over Scaldis by Angeli di Pietra, a Belgian band which sounds nothing like what I am used to. They have a mezzosoprano operetic singer and some growls, but the instrumentation matches Folk and Power Metal elements more than anything else. Highly interesting if you are a Melodic Metal fan.

Ön the other hand, I cannot wait for Amberian Dawn's second release, The Clouds of Northland Thunder. River of Tuoni showed that they are a very promising band in the world of Symphonic Power Metal.
06.06.2009 - 19:04
annodomini
Written by Taktsekte on 05.06.2009 at 23:11

I was kind of disappointed by both Lunatica and Delain. New Shores and April Rain, their new albums respectively, show very little if any innovation. In fact, new Delain is dangerously close to Gothic Rock instead of Melodic Metal. However, I was glad to discover Storm Over Scaldis by Angeli di Pietra, a Belgian band which sounds nothing like what I am used to. They have a mezzosoprano operetic singer and some growls, but the instrumentation matches Folk and Power Metal elements more than anything else. Highly interesting if you are a Melodic Metal fan.

Ön the other hand, I cannot wait for Amberian Dawn's second release, The Clouds of Northland Thunder. River of Tuoni showed that they are a very promising band in the world of Symphonic Power Metal.

I dont want to dissapoint you, but as Lunatica and Delain dissapointed me too, Amberian Dawn did the same Nothing catchy this time.

ok now The best this year:

Mannder Mortem - Eight Ways
Did you hear that The most awesome album i have heared this year. What a songwriting, what bass rythms. And...mmm. what Agnettes vocals. Tango, Fussion, Swing... Retro atmosphere. The combiunations of all previous albums and a new sound. This is absolutely fantastic.

Have anyone heard it? Whats you thoughts?
----
the riddle wants to be...
06.06.2009 - 19:44
Sunioj
Written by Guest on 26.03.2009 at 00:17

Has anyone listened to the new My Dying Bride album? Or the new Absu, Ephel Duath or Saxon albums?

New Absu, yes. It's pretty good, but not as good as Tara IMO. Though a few people who I know that heard it are crazy about it
06.06.2009 - 20:46
Abattoir
Staff
Written by Taktsekte on 05.06.2009 at 23:11

I was kind of disappointed by both Lunatica and Delain. New Shores and April Rain, their new albums respectively, show very little if any innovation. In fact, new Delain is dangerously close to Gothic Rock instead of Melodic Metal.

I was little dissapointed by Lunatica, nothing special indeed. But opposite with Delain's ''April Rain'', witch I found it as a realy good release, it's kind of countinuing of their first work/album. It's true that the sound gets closer to the gothic rock, but that isn't realy such a bad thing if you ask me. The only thing that bothers me by this album is that you can get pretty soon enough of it (of you listening to it constantly day by day)...it's more like every weekend listening album to me
07.06.2009 - 17:04
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Can't wait for the new Redemption album, that being said :

My albums of the year so far:

3. Lacuna Coil - Shallow Life
2. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
1. Riverside - Anno Divini HD
----
rekt
07.06.2009 - 20:36
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Today I listened to the new Skyclad album and it's pretty good
07.06.2009 - 22:27
Valentin B
Iconoclast
The new Candlemass album is pretty sweet, so is the Heaven and Hell album from what i've heard so far(also Atom and Evil and The Turn of the Screw are great traditional doom tracks)
07.06.2009 - 23:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 07.06.2009 at 22:27

The new Candlemass album is pretty sweet, so is the Heaven and Hell album from what i've heard so far(also Atom and Evil and The Turn of the Screw are great traditional doom tracks)

I agree with you on those two although I don't hear that much doom in Heaven and Hell at all (just some slight influences). But great heavvy metal nonetheless.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.06.2009 - 03:53
TormentoR.
So far so good. now... next releases that im awaiting are :

Slayer - *unknown name* release date : somewhere in summer 2009 *makes a drool flood*

Destruction - The Curse Of The Antichrist - Live In Agony. A double live album *drools*
I hope they ll play some songs from after year 2000 like "Metal Discharge" "The Butcher Strikes Back" "Nailed to the cross" "Killing Machine"...
and from old albums id like to hear again "Curse The Gods" "Tormentor" "Life Without Sense" "Invincible Force" but im sure they play these. anyway.. release date : september 2009

Immortal - ALL SHALL FALL october 2009 finally new stuff from Immortal. im so eager to hear this new shit

Nile - *unknown name* october 2009 damn, i cant wait to hear something new after Ithyphalic... a god damn extreme and epic, brutal, fast, intense master piece, i really cant imagine how the new stuff will sound like but i know for sure it will be fcking awesome !!!!!

Hollenthon - intresting band i've got into some time ago. hm.. i dont think they will release anything in 2009, last album was in 2008 - but i wish so much to hear something new from them!

Necophagist - *unknown name* somewhere late 2009.
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain