06. Hours Of Wealth
07. The Grand Conjuration
08. Isolation Years
09. Soldier Of Fortune [Deep Purple cover] [special edition bonus]

Disc II [Special Edition DVD]
+ Beyond Ghost Reveries: A Documentary
+ A 5.1 Mix Of The "Ghost Reveries" Album
+ The Director's Cut Of The Video: "The Grand Conjuration"

Last year, I was at a CD store and this album, for some odd reason, seemed to call out to me. Maybe it's because of the amazing cover art or maybe it was just me, I'll never know. I've only been a metalhead for a short time (2 years). The first real metal band that I listened to was Iron Maiden, then I heard about Slayer, and the Lamb Of God, Children Of Bodom, Tool, In Flames, Trivium, etc. Previous to being in the music store, I had heard about Opeth from a friend and I had actually heard two tracks from the new release, those being, GHOST OF PERDITION, and THE GRAND CONJURATION. I thought that these two tracks were absolutely mindblowing, and so as I was saying, the album called out to me, so I bought it. What a good choice I made.

GHOST REVERIES is definietely one of the best (if not the best) albums from the year 2005. Sure there are some that would give the nod to NEVERMORE'S THIS GODLESS ENDEAVOR, a fine album in its own right. Others yet may give the nod to some of the mainstream releases from the year (Chimaira-Chimaira, As I Lay Dying-Shadows Are Security, Trivium-Ascendancy, The Black Dahlia Murder-Miasma, The Red Chord-Clients, Between The Buried And Me-Alaska Children Of Bodom-Are You Dead Yet?). I do enjoy most of the mainstream bands of metal, but the fact remains that most mainstream metal is not all that great.

With GHOST REVERIES, Opeth does become a bit more mainstream, but they still sound like Opeth, of course. Purchasing this album would be the start of what would become my favorite band. After this album, I bought Still Life and Blackwater Park. Out of these, Still Life is definitely the best, by far.

The highligts of this are GHOST OF PERDITION, THE BAYING OF THE HOUNDS, REVERIE/HARLEQUIN FOREST, HOURS OF WEALTH, and THE GRAND CONJURATION, although all the songs are pretty good. The only track that I never really got into was BENEATH THE MIRE, because I didn't really like the guitar riffs and it just sounds different than most Opeth songs.

The first track GHOST OF PERDITION is absolutely AMAZING. All band members show off their abilities in this song. I especially love the intro. Its quiet with acoustics and then all of a sudden BAM! It gets heavy and there is Akerfeldt's amazing, demonic growl. He may be the best metal vocalist that I have ever heard. How he can growl like so and sing in such a soothing, heavenly clean voice is beyond me. He's up there with Dickinson, Halford, Barlow, Maynard James Keenan, Chris Barnes, George Fisher, Jonas Renkse, and all of the other great metal vocalists there are but I can't think of right now. Anyways, GHOST OF PERDITION is really good and has both of Akerfeldt's vocal styles. Opeth also write good lyrics, but i'm not going to go in depth with them. The acoustic parts are very good and Martin Lopez shows why he is one of my personal favorite drummers.

All other tracks are good, except for Beneath the mire. Atonement with it's weird, eerie, pshychadelic, sound really surprised me actually because Opeth doesn't do stuff like that, but it turned out really good, so I can't complain. REVERIE/HARLEQUIN FOREST is another great song. A great opening riff and it is almost all clean vocals. It is the longest off the album but hey, it's 12 minutes of pure greatness. I love the track after it too; HOURS OF WEALTH is an acoustic track. The best part is the opening two minutes, with the acoustic guitars and the keyboard of Per Wiberg. Acutally, the whole track is great. The single from the album, THE GRAND CONJRATION, is another good track. It starts out with a crushing riff for the first few secong and then starts into another great riff (very similiar to Slayer's ALTAR OF SACRIFICE if you ask me, it too starts out with a crushing riff and leads into a good riff). The almost whispered vocals are great. The main riff here actually reminds me of a riff found in BLACKWATER PARK, the song, found somewhere in the last 2-3 minutes. All in all, THE GRAND CONJURATION is great, but it fails to top GHOST OF PERDITION.

A great album from a great band. Every metalhead should own this album. Probably 2005's best album and it is worth all the money that you pay for it. Yet another Opeth masterpiece.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by spirit_inblack | 12.07.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 57   Visited by: 401 users
12.07.2006 - 19:14
Dr Ikari
Account deleted
If you ask me, I like EVERY MOTHERFUCKIN' TRACK from this album (including Atonement)! And I think The Grand Conjuration has to be the best metal song from 2005. That song is insane: It starts with a creepy riff, then Mikael Akerfeldt creates a psycho feel the way he whispers the first part of the lyrics, and then comes the creepy part again with his powerful voice. Man, Akerfeldt is the best voice in metal.
13.07.2006 - 02:43
Rating: 9
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This is the album that got me into Opeth. It was the second cd of theirs I got and it made me hooked. I think it's their second best album behind Blackwater Park.

Edit - I think I disagree with what I said lol.
13.07.2006 - 02:52
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
This was my vote for best release in 2005. I love every song from it, and really got me hooked even more. Both Akerfeldt's vocal styles are aazing throughout the whole album, very powerful and such presents with them. The album deserves the rating.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
14.07.2006 - 00:20
Damnated
Churchburner
Defenetly one of the best albums in prog metal history. Finally Opeth reached beyond the borders of 'prog-death' and actually reached out to psihedelia.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
14.07.2006 - 17:49
Rating: 6
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I do like the leads and vocals from Beneath The Mire and i actually listened to it the other day for the first time in a long while and it is starting to grow on me. The keyboards are really used to good effect in the song and the outro is pretty cool too.
21.07.2006 - 16:55
Rating: 10
bangladesh
One of the best albuns of 2005 but from Opeth is by the midle. Orchid, Morningrise, My Harms, Still Life and Blackwater park are better because the album is not consistant, it have 2, 3 songs that shouldn´t be on the album. And the "famous" grand conjuration is nothing special, very repetitive, we get bored of it in a couple of times.
If the album was all with the quality of the tree 1sts songs it will be maybe the 3rd best from Opeth
05.08.2006 - 16:06
dark awakening
Great review! mighty album, long live Opeth!
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
12.08.2006 - 16:47
Bulus
the album just great and beautiful
good reviews,
14.09.2006 - 20:21
KUFFAR
Account deleted
My favorite album of theres.
Talks much more to progressive fans.

Tho I think 'My Arms, Your Hearse' and 'Still life' are there best albums for Extreme fans, they have very good riffs.
01.10.2006 - 21:25
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Thanks for the great comments everyone!
07.10.2006 - 18:42
DreamStalker
Account deleted
Beneath The Mire is great, it is not so different from what Opeth does.
It reminds me a bit of Bleak... a bit...
18.11.2006 - 12:46
Talvi
Probably the most accesible Opeth album. Beneath the Mire is my favorite song, it's so different... and I don't really like Baying of the Hounds...
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
26.11.2006 - 22:06
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
The best release of 2005, and a real masterpiece. Deserves 10, maybe the only 10/10 release of 2005. The only song worth a bit less credit is The Grand Conjuration, it's pretty boring... but it was infact made for the video (it seem) so I forgive them ^^ (video/single tracks are of course sellout)
27.11.2006 - 03:21
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
great mainstream album, one of the few albums from roadrunner records, but still not nearly as good as 'still life'
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.12.2006 - 13:32
toXic
Written by Spyroid on 26.11.2006 at 22:06

The best release of 2005, and a real masterpiece. Deserves 10, maybe the only 10/10 release of 2005. The only song worth a bit less credit is The Grand Conjuration, it's pretty boring... but it was infact made for the video (it seem) so I forgive them ^^ (video/single tracks are of course sellout)

this must sound pritty lame, but i agree to everything!!!
----
<You that walk in the night, you are afraid of the light,
from a glorius and fearles night to the shadow of a man beaten in a fight,
ones granted the power of steel the promis he made NEVER to kneel.>
06.12.2006 - 14:22
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by toXic on 06.12.2006 at 13:32

this must sound pritty lame, but i agree to everything!!!

Cheers!
16.04.2007 - 15:58
Suite-Pee
Account deleted
Best album I ever bought, every song is incredable, there is so much to cherish and enjoy here. The vocals alternate between utterly terrifying to delicate and breathy, as do the guitars, and the keyboards add an air of etherality. Top album!
17.04.2007 - 02:56
Bitch Boy
The most notable thing of this album is the production, it's brilliant. Obviously the performance and the lyrics are also great. One of the best albums by Opeth.
17.04.2007 - 05:37
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Thanks for all of the feedback!
18.04.2007 - 02:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 27.11.2006 at 03:21

great mainstream album, one of the few albums from roadrunner records, but still not nearly as good as 'still life'

I hereby apologize for any moronic posts Ive made in the past, this being one of them. This was a great album but everything else I stated in the post was really....stupid.

@Dr.Rock from 5 months ago: You are a moron.
----
- George Carlin
19.04.2007 - 05:01
iaberis
Advice Troll
It's a great album, I liked it really much, some of my favorite songs are in this album. I even liked the front cover so much that I went to get it in a poster for my room! XD

@Dr.Rock: Are you talking to yourself?
----
Bitch! Please
03.06.2007 - 03:32
__Az__
Yeah, I agree with all the above comments, Except Dr. Rock's earlier comment on the quality of RoadRunner records,

Anyway, Ghost Reveries was also the album that got me into Opeth, since then I have managed to get my hands on Damnation, Black Water Park and My Arms...

Although, all of these albums are brilliat albums in their own right, none hit me as much as Ghost Reveries, the production and the range of vocals is particularly amazing...
03.06.2007 - 03:35
__Az__

The best release of 2005, and a real masterpiece.

Yes, definately a real masterpiece, but is it really the best release of 2005? Nevermore, Akercocke, Bolt Thrower, Nile and Kreator all released as amazing albyms this year.. A good year in metal to be honest.
03.06.2007 - 04:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by __Az__ on 03.06.2007 at 03:32

Yeah, I agree with all the above comments, Except Dr. Rock's earlier comment on the quality of RoadRunner records,

Ill have you notice I later apologized for that terrible comment, that was during my ignorant stupid 'tr00 metal' faze. Ive learned to like bands based on the music, not by reputation/or because there on the same record label as Slipknot, which is still a terrible band.

Though I stand by my comment saying this album isnt as good as "Still Life"
----
- George Carlin
03.06.2007 - 12:28
__Az__
Written by Doc G. on 03.06.2007 at 04:39

Written by __Az__ on 03.06.2007 at 03:32

Ill have you notice I later apologized for that terrible comment, that was during my ignorant stupid 'tr00 metal' faze. Ive learned to like bands based on the music, not by reputation/or because there on the same record label as Slipknot, which is still a terrible band.

Though I stand by my comment saying this album isnt as good as "Still Life"

Here, here, I agree whole heartedly with everything You've just said, including how awful Slipknot really are.. haha
03.06.2007 - 18:02
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by __Az__ on 03.06.2007 at 03:35

The best release of 2005, and a real masterpiece.

Yes, definately a real masterpiece, but is it really the best release of 2005? Nevermore, Akercocke, Bolt Thrower, Nile and Kreator all released as amazing albyms this year.. A good year in metal to be honest.

Well... I'm not a big fan at all of either Akercoke or Bolt Thrower, and I don't think it is very fair to compare Kreator and Opeth, although I was more impressed by GR. Nevermore and Nile both released great works, but in my opinion nothing beats Opeth. It's one of my favourite bands, and this is my favourite release with them, so it's not very strange maybe
03.06.2007 - 21:31
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I just noticed I never posted here. And curiously enough Ghost Reveries was the last opeth cd i listened to but i do think its brilliant. Not as special as the other for me but as brilliant musically as the others. Not my favourite cd, Orchid, Still Life and even Deliverance seem to beat that. But then again its hard to choose your favourite Opeth albums really. I prefer to appreciate each one.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.10.2007 - 21:08
FolloweR
Account deleted
Ghost of Perdition is one of the best songs I´ve ever heard...
08.03.2008 - 23:54
Evil Chip
I dont know how can anyone can call this album a bit mainstream?. It has 10+ minutes songs with complex structures. How can that be mainstream?. If this is mainstream My Chemical Romance most be the most elevated music.
09.03.2008 - 00:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
How are Opeth mainstream?
----

Hits total: 20090 | This month: 21