Metal Storm logo
Attracting Pop-listeners To Metal!!!

Original post

Posted by ms68, 16.04.2009 - 22:05
If you want to attract a pop-listener to metal with one track, which track you’ll recommend to him?
05.05.2009 - 12:35
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I think its not worth trying to get anyone into metal who are not actually interested in listening to it. Most have an opinion of it before they know a diverse amount about it (like much of us and rap/r&b/etc). Think of one of your mates trying to get you into that, it most likely will never happen because your not interested in it.
People grow up (after early teen age) usually listening to a certain style and stick to it.
Also, people who say they listen to anything usually implies they dont listen to much music.
Therefore, i dont really have any one song to recommend - if someone was interested, perhaps something related to what they already know helps.
05.05.2009 - 21:19
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Dark Cornatus on 05.05.2009 at 12:35

I think its not worth trying to get anyone into metal who are not actually interested in listening to it. Most have an opinion of it before they know a diverse amount about it (like much of us and rap/r&b/etc). Think of one of your mates trying to get you into that, it most likely will never happen because your not interested in it.
People grow up (after early teen age) usually listening to a certain style and stick to it.
Also, people who say they listen to anything usually implies they dont listen to much music.
Therefore, i dont really have any one song to recommend - if someone was interested, perhaps something related to what they already know helps.

Really? Are you saying that someone who has developed a taste in music, and isn't into metal, won't get into it? Sometimes this may be the case, but not all the time. How do you know you are interested in something if you don't experience it? How am I supposed to know if I like something if I've never heard it? You are right. Most people who say, "Oh, I listen to everything", prob aren't into music and will clam up in their little shell of god-awful music and never listen to anything else. But any intelligent person who considers themselves a music listener should (and probably will) give anything a chance. I think it's worth it to introduce someone to new music. If they are into music and aren't complete tools, why not?
06.05.2009 - 02:03
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.05.2009 at 21:19

Written by Dark Cornatus on 05.05.2009 at 12:35

Really? Are you saying that someone who has developed a taste in music, and isn't into metal, won't get into it? Sometimes this may be the case, but not all the time. How do you know you are interested in something if you don't experience it? How am I supposed to know if I like something if I've never heard it? You are right. Most people who say, "Oh, I listen to everything", prob aren't into music and will clam up in their little shell of god-awful music and never listen to anything else. But any intelligent person who considers themselves a music listener should (and probably will) give anything a chance. I think it's worth it to introduce someone to new music. If they are into music and aren't complete tools, why not?

"But any intelligent person who considers themselves a music listener should (and probably will) give anything a chance. I think it's worth it to introduce someone to new music. If they are into music and aren't complete tools, why not?"

This is a valid point, however, these 'open minded' people are rare, and usually the type we mentioned above who listen to anything as they claim. There are people out there who are open minded with many genres, but most stick to a certain type, or scene.

If you play metal to someone that is not interested, most of the time they will reject it, even if it sounds ok, its human nature. How many people who dont listen to metal of your age (as in mature people) have you got into metal or at least a couple of songs. They might say its alright or they dont mind it, but how often would they actually explore more to actually attract them?

This is a decent discussion hehe.
06.05.2009 - 06:59
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Dark Cornatus on 06.05.2009 at 02:03

How many people who dont listen to metal of your age (as in mature people) have you got into metal or at least a couple of songs?

I have a few friends who's tastes in music have been, if not directly, then indirectly changed because of my tastes in metal over the past couple years. I have a few friends who listen to more poppy music listening to more accessible metal bands like Judas Priest and Black Sabbath.

You can automatically write someone off as close-minded when it comes to music, but I think that it is unfair to judge someone like that. It takes just ONE band to really inspire someone to get more into music. You know what I mean?
06.05.2009 - 16:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I'm sure I wouldn't show them metal that is too chessy and "omg we're metal, we're so rude and shit!"

Naaah.. If they like pop I would gladly show metal with pop or soft influences. Amesoeurs is a perfect example imo. Especially the track "Heurt"
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.10.2009 - 02:03
ToMegaTherion
It's really not worth trying to introduce metal to anyone who is simply not interested. Think about it... do you really want a Maria Carey fan at a Slayer concert?
14.10.2009 - 15:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ToMegaTherion on 14.10.2009 at 02:03

It's really not worth trying to introduce metal to anyone who is simply not interested. Think about it... do you really want a Maria Carey fan at a Slayer concert?

If the Mariah Carey fan truly also likes Slayer then.... yes.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.10.2009 - 17:11
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
That's such a stereotpye, that pop fans can't sincerely like other types of music or that metal fans can't either. Music is just music, what's wrong with a person liking mariah carey and slayer at the same time?

They seem to be looked upon as extremes, but a lot of what you call metalheads listen to chris isaac for instance or whatever.

I for one like The Cure, everybody knows they were commercial at some point even if they had their dark days. They are a peculiar band but they still have songs I consider pop, pop rock, etc.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.10.2009 - 17:24
Elio
Red Nightmare
I like some twee pop bands, such as Belle and Sebastian or mylittleairport, they are way better than most of metal bands so wat, good music is good.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
14.10.2009 - 19:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by BloodTears on 14.10.2009 at 17:11

I for one like The Cure, everybody knows they were commercial at some point even if they had their dark days. They are a peculiar band but they still have songs I consider pop, pop rock, etc.

the cure is awesome. been a fan for over 20 years now. Disintegration is my favorite album ever.

i have some friends in that general area that i have, in past, tried to nudge in a metal direction from time to time... going from Cure and Sisters of Mercy to Fields of the Nephilim is not a big nudge, and the album "Zoon" is already in the metal camp... voila.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.10.2009 - 19:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
There is some extremely good pop going on, you just have to dig good.
Kent is waaaaay better than many metal bands I've seen, way more emotive and can be way more depressive than a lot of gothic and doom metal acts.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.10.2009 - 19:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 14.10.2009 at 19:12

the cure is awesome. been a fan for over 20 years now. Disintegration is my favorite album ever.

i have some friends in that general area that i have, in past, tried to nudge in a metal direction from time to time... going from Cure and Sisters of Mercy to Fields of the Nephilim is not a big nudge, and the album "Zoon" is already in the metal camp... voila.

Yes, that's a good move! I started listening to bands from the gothic rock scene, like people like to call them, sisters of mercy, the cure, even things like the mission, dead can dance, a different variety of bands. After that it was gothic metal and then all the rest.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.10.2009 - 20:27
IronAngel
It's a myth that people grow up with some genre and stick to it. Or that people who'll listen to "anything" aren't really into music.

Much to the surprise of many metalheads, there are people out there who take music as seriously, or even moreso, than metalheads, but don't feel the need to restrict themselves to one boring genre or category. They're not really a minorty, either. That's a teenage way of thinking, to put it bluntly. You had the metalheads, geeks, indie-rockers and cheerleaders in high school or water. I think it shows maturity to grow out of that.

I wouldn't want to get any of my friends "into metal." I like to get them into some bands I think they may learn to appreciate, and have done so. I'll obviously play a song that's representative of the whole band and might catch that unique individual's interest. One size doesn't fit all. And I'd never forgive myself if I had any part in turning one of my friends into a narrow-minded metalhead.
14.10.2009 - 21:08
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 14.10.2009 at 20:27

It's a myth that people grow up with some genre and stick to it. Or that people who'll listen to "anything" aren't really into music.

Much to the surprise of many metalheads, there are people out there who take music as seriously, or even moreso, than metalheads, but don't feel the need to restrict themselves to one boring genre or category. They're not really a minorty, either. That's a teenage way of thinking, to put it bluntly. You had the metalheads, geeks, indie-rockers and cheerleaders in high school or water. I think it shows maturity to grow out of that.

I wouldn't want to get any of my friends "into metal." I like to get them into some bands I think they may learn to appreciate, and have done so. I'll obviously play a song that's representative of the whole band and might catch that unique individual's interest. One size doesn't fit all. And I'd never forgive myself if I had any part in turning one of my friends into a narrow-minded metalhead.

Very good post dude, agree fully
14.10.2009 - 21:29
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 14.10.2009 at 19:12

Yes, The Cure is/was awesome. I am of a huge fan of similar "pop-rock" bands such as Siouxsie and the Banshees and early-era New Order. The creativity that these bands once showcased was awesome.

Also, I've found a certain trend in some of my non-metal friends getting into the genre; Progressive metal seems to be a good gateway genre for them to get into. I don't know if it's because a lot of prog is not as "heavy" as other kinds of metal or what. It became obvious to me when I got picked up my one of my friends the other day. He is a *hardcore* hip-hop and R&B fan. I got in his car to find him listening to The Perfect Element by Pain of Salvation! My mind almost exploded. I asked him where the hell he got the Cd, and he told me that he asked one of my other friends (who I copied the album for) if he could borrow it, because he liked one of their songs I occasionally listen to while hanging out. Considering I don't try to force music upon my friends, and he never asked me about them before... I was really surprised.
14.10.2009 - 22:15
MetallicA
Written by Valentin B on 16.04.2009 at 22:47

Written by -Soulreaper- on 16.04.2009 at 22:12

Ive tried out some metal tracks on pop listeners and the one that I find that most people like is Amon Amarth - Death In Fire

either you're joking or your friends are weird. i heard that song first time when i was already listening to such music and i still don't like it, it's way too damn heavy for me(the vocal delivery especially)

that's my all time favorite song by them haha to each his own!

yeah everything has pretty much been said that I was gonna say about this topic. For me, nobody really introduced metal to me...I remember when I was 16 and still listening to commercial nu metal and thinking that I wanted something harder to listen to. I had no idea about the existence of death metal. One day I heard a death metal show on the radio and just really liked what I heard. I don't remember all of what they played but I do know they played a song by Death.

I guess I skipped all the accessible stuff like the metalcore, goth metal, prog & power metal and just dived straight into the death & black metal! As a result, I'm not a big fan of any of that stuff and just like the extreme stuff (for the most part; I mean I love Iron Maiden...who doesn't? ).

I've tried getting my friends into metal but quit that some time ago. I found it just doesn't work...probably because I have them listen to death metal first As a result, one of my friends hates death metal it's all good though! I brought that same friend to a Slayer show actually and she seemed to enjoy it...she didn't go out and buy Slayer albums or anything but she didn't complain. It's funny cause she likes alot of top 40 music & The Beastie Boys.
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
14.10.2009 - 22:28
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by MetallicA on 14.10.2009 at 22:15

I guess I skipped all the accessible stuff like the metalcore, goth metal, prog & power metal and just dived straight into the death & black metal! As a result, I'm not a big fan of any of that stuff and just like the extreme stuff (for the most part; I mean I love Iron Maiden...who doesn't? ).

I've tried getting my friends into metal but quit that some time ago. I found it just doesn't work...probably because I have them listen to death metal first

I've noticed that a lot of people who are really into Death metal, hear that before any other type of more "accessible" metal. I think in the present day of world of music, less "brutal" types of death metal (specifically melodeath), are fairly accessible to your average music listener.
14.10.2009 - 22:36
Fat & Sassy!
Elite

I guess I skipped all the accessible stuff like the metalcore, goth metal, prog...

Oh, I don't know how I read over this, but how is prog "accessible"? I think it takes quite an open mind and patience to dig a lot of prog rock/metal. :/
15.10.2009 - 01:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 14.10.2009 at 22:36

I guess I skipped all the accessible stuff like the metalcore, goth metal, prog...

Oh, I don't know how I read over this, but how is prog "accessible"? I think it takes quite an open mind and patience to dig a lot of prog rock/metal. :/

Liking something does not equate having an open mind. Having an open mind means that you are willing to listen to something and give it a fair chance. So, someone who only likes brutal death metal but at least gives everything else a fair chance by listening to it is open minded.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.10.2009 - 02:41
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.10.2009 at 01:17

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 14.10.2009 at 22:36

Liking something does not equate having an open mind. Having an open mind means that you are willing to listen to something and give it a fair chance. So, someone who only likes brutal death metal but at least gives everything else a fair chance by listening to it is open minded.

I am aware of that, and it is arguable to say that most prog is turned off by your average person, because of longer, more complex songs. It demands more of an open mind to give it a chance, because it can be very abnormal-sounding to your average Joe. Given from my experiences, I would suggest that your average "pop-listener" (as in that they ONLY listen to pop) is about as close-minded as they come, because:

A) They are spoon-fed music from MTV and radio and only that's all they know; making it hard to listen to anything else.
or
B) They just don't really care about anything beyond a catchy, bubble-gum pop song they can sing along too, and they always keep it that way... Don't give anything else a chance. :/

I hate to generalize, but I find this to usually be true.
Anyway, that's what I meant. Guess I didn't elaborate enough in my previous post.
15.10.2009 - 06:01
FOOCK Nam
Rhapsody - Emerald Sword

I am pretty sure that if you give that song to pop or non metal listeners, they will like it immediately.
15.10.2009 - 06:55
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.10.2009 at 15:32

Written by ToMegaTherion on 14.10.2009 at 02:03

If the Mariah Carey fan truly also likes Slayer then.... yes.

Thats the only answer needed here
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
15.10.2009 - 21:50
InfernoxDeath
Recommending Power Metal or maybe even Gothic Metal?
Goth Metal sounds so mainstream these days. Example, take a look at Within Temptation.
Comparing how they made a breakthrough with "The Silent Force", and before that, "Mother Earth"
15.10.2009 - 23:03
GamlaSonn
Well you could probably get people to listen to In Flames, Sonata Arctica and stuff like that, but if they don't move on to harder stuff, then what have you achieved? It's like no big deal

On the other hand if the subject starts listening to thrash and so on, then I'm excited
15.10.2009 - 23:22
Charly546
Written by GamlaSonn on 15.10.2009 at 23:03

/.../ but if they don't move on to harder stuff, then what have you achieved? It's like no big deal /.../

A weird question perhaps, but why would they have to move on to harder stuff?
15.10.2009 - 23:53
GamlaSonn
Written by Charly546 on 15.10.2009 at 23:22

/.../ but if they don't move on to harder stuff, then what have you achieved? It's like no big deal /.../

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that more people listen to metal whether it's brutal or catchy. But pop and some metal is not very different in style. Now if the subject would listen to some harder metal I would be more certain that I really influenced them with metal.
16.10.2009 - 03:55
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
I think it depends on the pop fan, if it's a cultured music fan who listens to pop, as others have suggested, they will probably have tried metal to some extent. You can talk about what they listened to and see if they missed out on a major genre. It's no use going, so you didn't like Dark Tranquillity, fair enough, try In Flames or Soilwork, that won't work. It's more, so you don't like Dark Tranquillity, have you tried Judas Priest? No, well give it a go. If they like it then it opens up loads of doors and corridors for them to explore. You need to remind them that metal isn't one style but a groupment of lots of different subgenres. If, however, we have a pop fan, who listens to pop because, that is what society dictates them to do, yes, a lot of people are like this (maybe not consciously but are still brainwashed by societies mass marketing of a certain style of music), you can introduce them to rock or alternative things to get them acoustumed to something less pop orientated, then slowly unleash metal upon them. Going mainstream is a good way to introduce as they are used to the mainstream culture, however introducing little unknown bands that aren't to brutal is also a good way, but they must be good. I believe that it is possible to change someone into a full blown metal fan by introducing them to stuff like Deicide, Canibal Corpse or Marduk immediately, however these people generally tend to loose interest in metal pretty quick, from what I've experienced, it's best to introduce them slowly, vastly and knowledgeably. This is just my opinion, if I've sounded to much like everything I put forward is untangible fact then that wasn't my aim, I just wanted to state my view from my personal experience and what I've witnessed through overs.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
16.10.2009 - 08:33
Charly546
Written by GamlaSonn on 15.10.2009 at 23:53

Written by Charly546 on 15.10.2009 at 23:22

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that more people listen to metal whether it's brutal or catchy. But pop and some metal is not very different in style. Now if the subject would listen to some harder metal I would be more certain that I really influenced them with metal.

So it's rather feedback for you to see if they are really gotten into metal? But why wouldn't "just" listening to metal suffice?

I'm sorry if it seems like nitpicking, it's not. I'm just interested why people always try to get others to listen to extreme metal and not just metal in general. (let alone the fact, that trying to get people to listen to metal is quite silly)
16.10.2009 - 20:10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by FOOCK Nam on 15.10.2009 at 06:01

Rhapsody - Emerald Sword

I am pretty sure that if you give that song to pop or non metal listeners, they will like it immediately.

honestly, had that been my initial taste of metal music, i never would have gotten into the genre.

thank god for early ass MTV playing Iron Maiden, Priest, and Ozzy... and my friend for loaning me Anthrax and Megadeth tapes back in the mid-80s.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.10.2009 - 21:14
FOOCK Nam
Written by BitterCOld on 16.10.2009 at 20:10

Written by FOOCK Nam on 15.10.2009 at 06:01

Rhapsody - Emerald Sword

honestly, had that been my initial taste of metal music, i never would have gotten into the genre.

A lot of metalheads that they liked same as your taste, or in my opinion, mostly power metal, some dude I know (even in Metalstorm, ), he liked Sonata Arctica but no longer, even saying he hates it now. Some other listened to very extreme bands like Anaal Nathrakh but no longer liking it. The same thing that they both still have been being metalheads.

Rhapsody also can be said that was my taste for metal, I dont like them anymore, but for in same genre, I still like Sonata Arctica ,only rarely listen to it now.