05. Officer Nice
06. Subterfuge
07. Kill On Command
08. Phobophobia
09. Bodies On Bodies
10. I Profit
11. T.D.S. (Take It As You Will)
12. Parapalegic

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the quintessential thrash album. If you thought that Kill 'em All was relentless, then you obviously haven't heard this adrenaline-pumping masterpiece yet. Not even the pure speed and intensity of Reign in Blood can touch the fury of Vio-lence's 1988 debut album Eternal Nightmare. Led by present Machine Head guitarists Robb Flynn and Phil Demmel, along with the unique vocal contributions of Sean Killian, Eternal Nightmare is an album that will live on in thrash circles forever.

Now when I say quintessential thrash album, I'm not talking about an album with an inclusion of ballads or mid-tempo numbers. What I'm talking about is an album with the brutal crunch of overdriven guitars quickly slamming tremolo-picked, palm-muted riffs through your ears, one after another, with surprising fluency. I'm talking about an album with vocals that would make any singer on Broadway cower in fear. And of course, I'm talking about an album with lyrical content that is both terrifying and grotesque. With those credentials in mind, this album fits the bill better than any other thrash album.

From the opening track, it is clear that these credentials are met on Eternal Nightmare with an onslaught of powerful thrash and a twisted tale of the onset of insanity. "Phobophobia" is my personal favorite, as it contains an array of truly infectious riffs, along with a maniacal delivery of vocals by Sean Killian, who at times barks out the lyrics with impressive speed and ferocity on the track. "Kill on Command" wraps up the album well and brings it home with an all out speed metal assault in the final minute. But to be honest, words can't really do the songs justice. No properly placed adjective can truly encapsulate their power.

What really sets this album apart from others is the vocal performance by Sean Killian. At first listen, it might be enough to garner a chuckle out of the wildest metal lunatic. However, when the power of the production and songwriting come together, it truly makes for a unique experience. Killian does well to not only deliver the lyrics, but to deliver their essence. With all his heart and soul he spills out a truly insane and original performance that is worth noting even after an incidental laugh or two.

So once again, if you're looking for an album that defines the thrash genre, look no further than Eternal Nightmare. It is truly one of the more underrated metal albums ever made and a thrash classic that no metal fan should overlook.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by Nosurper | 28.03.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 35   Visited by: 136 users
24.04.2009 - 20:52
Rating: 9
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I love the album - it's been on heavy rotation the last two weeks -good review but the score is a bit high. it's an awesome album, but not quite that close to perfect.

i'd probably score it between 8.5 and 9.

definitely worth buying if you like the whole 80's thrash movement.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.04.2009 - 08:03
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
I hear ya, it is a little short and there definitely isn't much in the way of variety, heh. I like your score too, but wouldn't be sure about a rating any lower than that. It's just one of those albums for me, every time I put it on im just blown away by the intensity of it. Each time I'm sitting there after 'Kill on Command' ends, I just have this grin of satisfaction. The lyrics are actually fairly clever, although they're definetly nothing that "artsy" or have anything deeper to look into. Personally, I probably give this the boost from 9 to 10 out of guilty pleasure. I really do love me some thrash
----
07.07.2009 - 21:33
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Alright, I'm gonna back-track really quick. Not that a 9 isn't a fine rating for this album, but there is no guilty pleasure here, this album gets a 10 from me. No guilty pleasure included

I would probably change the overall in the review to a 9.6 though...
----
26.10.2009 - 05:01
Rating: 8
sbgmetal
Definitely a cd defines that thrash metal
18.12.2009 - 16:47
SatyriconChick
Love this album and always loved this band! I also loved the Torture Tactics EP and Oppressing the Masses.
14.05.2010 - 15:08
@gent_-_orange
A class album, Too many great riffs
13.03.2011 - 23:03
Rating: 10
Cryzpin
I have been thrash-banger for more than 20 years and now i have found this one? Gosh! Master Of Puppets has been dethroned finally, this is beating heart of thrash metal - relentless, agressive, merciless and straight, the essence...great review!
13.03.2011 - 23:12
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Cryzpin on 13.03.2011 at 23:03

I have been thrash-banger for more than 20 years and now i have found this one? Gosh! Master Of Puppets has been dethroned finally, this is beating heart of thrash metal - relentless, agressive, merciless and straight, the essence...great review!

Are you serious? That's is one of the most unbelievable statements I've ever heard (regarding 20 years and just discovering Vio-Lence). Seriously, that is impossible. What have been listening all those years?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
14.03.2011 - 10:08
Cryzpin
Written by K✞ulu on 13.03.2011 at 23:12

Are you serious? That's is one of the most unbelievable statements I've ever heard (regarding 20 years and just discovering Vio-Lence). Seriously, that is impossible. What have been listening all those years?

Heh not that impossible, there are still the other metal branches and regarding thrash, you can live on big thrash four plus Testament almost forever not being aware of such treasures as this one.
14.03.2011 - 11:18
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Cryzpin on 14.03.2011 at 10:08

Written by K✞ulu on 13.03.2011 at 23:12

Heh not that impossible, there are still the other metal branches and regarding thrash, you can live on big thrash four plus Testament almost forever not being aware of such treasures as this one.

Well, I thought Eternal Nightmare was an absolute must for any thrash fan, and everybody into the genre would know about that album. But just listening to the Big Four plus Testament is just not enough. I'd get bored for sure. There was a lot of good underground bands at the time plus the whole technical/progressive thrash scene as well.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

14.03.2011 - 11:44
Cryzpin
Written by K✞ulu on 14.03.2011 at 11:18

Well, I thought Eternal Nightmare was an absolute must for any thrash fan, and everybody into the genre would know about that album. But just listening to the Big Four plus Testament is just not enough. I'd get bored for sure. There was a lot of good underground bands at the time plus the whole technical/progressive thrash scene as well.

You know at 1988 I was 9, living in communist Czechoslovakia, no money, no Internet, no metal periodicals, i had big troubles just for having long hair how could i possibly put my hands on underground thrash metal? Now for some years i'm catching up what i have missed and it's a lot of fun and great discoveries!
14.03.2011 - 13:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Ive never got the big deal about this album. *shrugs* The riffs are highly generic, and all the songs sound very similar to each other.... for me, it's certainly not in the same league as albums like "Darkness Descends", "Forbidden Evil", and "Pleasure To Kill", which to me are definitive thrash classics.
14.03.2011 - 13:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.03.2011 at 13:36

Ive never got the big deal about this album. *shrugs* The riffs are highly generic, and all the songs sound very similar to each other.... for me, it's certainly not in the same league as albums like "Darkness Descends", "Forbidden Evil", and "Pleasure To Kill", which to me are definitive thrash classics.

It pisses all over Pleasure To Kill imo. But then again I am biased cause I find ALL of German thrash from that period total crap.
Imo Eternal Nightmares is also better than Forbidden Evil. At least Vio-lence doesn't have that tyical Bay Area sound to them which Forbidden does have.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.03.2011 - 13:53
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.03.2011 at 13:41
It pisses all over Pleasure To Kill imo. But then again I am biased cause I find ALL of German thrash from that period total crap.
Imo Eternal Nightmares is also better than Forbidden Evil. At least Vio-lence doesn't have that tyical Bay Area sound to them which Forbidden does have.

I am aware of your views on German thrash. hehee

"Eternal Nightmare", to me at least, is highly generic with very similar sounding riffs. At least on "Forbidden Evil", you can tell the difference between each individual song. Listening to "Eternal Nightmare", is like listening to one long continuous song, which lasts the length of the whole album. There's absolutely no variation on it whatsoever. It is only my opinion of course, but Ive never got why that album is regarded so highly. To me it's not even a good thrash album, let alone a classic one. *puts flame suit on*
14.03.2011 - 14:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.03.2011 at 13:53

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.03.2011 at 13:41

I am aware of your views on German thrash. hehee

"Eternal Nightmare", to me at least, is highly generic with very similar sounding riffs. At least on "Forbidden Evil", you can tell the difference between each individual song. Listening to "Eternal Nightmare", is like listening to one long continuous song, which lasts the length of the whole album. There's absolutely no variation on it whatsoever. It is only my opinion of course, but Ive never got why that album is regarded so highly. To me it's not even a good thrash album, let alone a classic one. *puts flame suit on*

Imo there is way more variation on eternal Nightmare than on Pleasure To Kill, that album is purely one noisy ramshackle untight piece of garbage
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.03.2011 - 15:01
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Cryzpin on 14.03.2011 at 11:44

Written by K✞ulu on 14.03.2011 at 11:18

You know at 1988 I was 9, living in communist Czechoslovakia, no money, no Internet, no metal periodicals, i had big troubles just for having long hair how could i possibly put my hands on underground thrash metal? Now for some years i'm catching up what i have missed and it's a lot of fun and great discoveries!

Well, makes sense. Yeah, and also listening to Thrash at 9? Were you? That would be quite "disturbing," but maybe not, I don't know Anyway, this album is quite good. But I might have to agree with Angelic Storm in saying that it's a bit repetitive. Need to listen to this one some time again.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

14.03.2011 - 15:28
Cryzpin
Written by K✞ulu on 14.03.2011 at 15:01

Well, makes sense. Yeah, and also listening to Thrash at 9? Were you? That would be quite "disturbing," but maybe not, I don't know

Actually (sweet memories) it was in 4th grade of elementary school when i secretly traded 3 magnetic tapes (copies fo course) from older guys: Metal Church debut, Walls Of Jericho and Master Of Puppets - these turned me into headbanger for life, i have been totaly stunned by the music and it was not disturbing, i would say it was extatically liberating , and so empowering. I had to have them hidden all the time from the fear that my parents teachers would get into troubles if found by some pro-government freak, strange times...
12.12.2011 - 14:55
Haiwaan Das
This one goes to Cult status.
----
Gr Gr Gr Gr Gr
17.12.2011 - 21:29
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.03.2011 at 13:36

I never understood the fuss around it either. Imo, this album is totally overrated. Boring music with atrocious vocals.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
17.12.2011 - 22:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Actually I checked them out too after hearing the praise in the hope it might click, but it didn't.
17.12.2011 - 23:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Hmmm sad... I totally dig the music but the vocals... awful tbh.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.12.2011 - 23:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I wouldn't give it a 9.7 but I definitely love this album. What's the deal with the hate on the vocals?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.12.2011 - 00:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.12.2011 at 23:35

I wouldn't give it a 9.7 but I definitely love this album. What's the deal with the hate on the vocals?

It was like that back in the day as well, the vocals were either loved or hated. I for one love the vocals cause Sean Killian doesn't sound like any other thrash vocalist out there.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.12.2011 - 00:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.12.2011 at 00:00
Sean Killian doesn't sound like any other thrash vocalist out there.

Agreed, although being unique doesn't always equate to good quality.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.12.2011 - 00:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.12.2011 at 00:07

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.12.2011 at 00:00
Sean Killian doesn't sound like any other thrash vocalist out there.

Agreed, although being unique doesn't always equate to good quality.

That is true but here it does.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.12.2011 - 00:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I love his vocals, this is one of my favorite thrash albums. just love the reckless energy.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.12.2011 - 00:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 17.12.2011 at 22:25

Actually I checked them out too after hearing the praise in the hope it might click, but it didn't.

but then again you don't like thrash 99% of the times
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.12.2011 - 00:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.12.2011 at 00:18

but then again you don't like thrash 99% of the times

True but the way people spoke about this I was expecting to be at least marginally impressed but it sounded like most other things, with extra bad vocals.
18.12.2011 - 02:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 17.12.2011 at 21:29
I never understood the fuss around it either. Imo, this album is totally overrated. Boring music with atrocious vocals.

It's a relief to find that I'm not the only one who finds this album highly overrated, when I originally posted in this thread, I thought I'd be the only one who thought that.

Oh, and I can't really remember the vocals, but I do know that they weren't the reason I hated it. The riffing was highly generic, and the songs very samey all the way through. If the vocals were awful, they just contributed to a bad album, not made it so.
18.12.2011 - 17:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
^I have no problem what so ever in distinguish the different riffs. Songwritting is pretty top notch here, coming from someone that doesn't even like most of the "awesomse" and classic thrash releases. Just the vocals put me off.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 7698 | This month: 29