06. To Tame A Land [Iron Maiden cover]

Disc III [Black Clouds & Silver Linings Instrumental Mixes]
01. A Nightmare To Remember
02. A Rite Of Passage
03. Wither
04. The Shattered Fortress
05. The Best Of Times
06. The Count Of Tuscany

One of my all-time favorite bands, Dream Theater, has been mildly disappointing me since 2002 with their newfound musical direction. After a step in the right direction with their previous album Systematic Chaos, I was anxious to get my hands on their new offering Black Clouds & Silver Linings. With an album title suggesting aggression and great melodies, I thought this would be a real treat.

With the same steady lineup, the progressive masters have not altered their recent sound very much with this release. Same setup, same incredible display of musicianship, and unfortunately same patchwork of bridges and chorus with way too many passages of pure technical display that are close to ruining the whole thing.

While some songs manage to get catchy, the second part of those are purely formal soloing that is abject on some level. The same heavy guitar sound is kept alive by John Petrucci, and you can tell that Mike Portnoy and John Myung are having a blast with the rhythmic section. Jordan Rudess provides the keyboard mastery and James LaBrie is his usual self-assured vocalist. But overall, while I remain impressed by their abilities, there is not a single track that makes me jump out of my seat. And this has been the same pattern of their albums of late. Bands such as Circus Maximus are blowing my mind while my Progressive Metal icons are getting softer in the songwriting department.

Two of the six tracks are ballads (or close to it) and most of the other tracks feature rock choruses at best, rendering this album too soft for my current tastes. And I do like progressive rock usually. The artwork is beautiful, I will give them that.

Don’t get me wrong though, the album has its moments. The opening track ‘A Nightmare to Remember' and ‘Rite of Passage’ probably feature most of those moments of magic. If only they had another couple of songs like those two on the CD, I would probably have stopped bitching a long time ago and would praise them right now.

Black Clouds & Silver Linings is interesting just because it is a Dream Theater album. However, where is the constant inspiration or great songwriting throughout heard on some of their previous albums? I much prefer Systematic Chaos than this new album. In my opinion, it sounds like their attempt to fulfill the album title failed along the way. It will be interesting to see them on the North American tour, they will get a second chance to change my mind about this album. Give it a listen and have your own opinion, I am known to be extra-critical with their albums.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 30.06.2009 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Guest review by
Iron Nostarion
Rating:
After revisiting Dream Theater's discography and particularly recently setting my eyes on this album, it was my album of choice to review, for there are really a lot of notes and opinions I'd like to speak out about it. With Black Clouds & Silver Linings released in 2009, Dream Theater vowed to hearken back to the days of 2003's Train Of Thought, with more heavy melodies, a straightforward metal approach, calm ballad-like songs in between with the obvious progressive elements, solos and some experimentation; though, after so many jams and extended solos, are we to say that their approach to experimentation, too, hasn't become something too ordinary and expected?

Read more ››
published 12.09.2013 | Comments (4)

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 105   Visited by: 637 users
01.07.2009 - 11:09
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Written by Nicko's Nose on 30.06.2009 at 05:52

The Count Of Tuscany is one of their best songs (musically) and The Best Of Times gets better and better with every listen. This review fails.

"but like an album from these guys, I wait at least 6 months to fully review it"

Yeah, you should always listen to a prog album for atleast 2 weeks before reviewing it.

should i buy it?
01.07.2009 - 19:21
Rating: 9
Nicko's Nose
Of course. It's their best album since Six Degrees imo.
02.07.2009 - 02:14
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Powerslavex on 01.07.2009 at 11:09

should i buy it?

As always, I'd say: listen to it first.
But I do consider that it's their best since 6 Degrees, because From Train Of Thought onwards they just were uninspired.
And now now it seems the inspiration (the magic?) is here again.
However, it does have their 2000's sound, so don't look for another Images & Words or Awake in there...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.07.2009 - 02:32
Rating: 10
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
One question, for the connoisseurs: don't you all think The Best Of Times is the most Rush-sounding track Dream Theater have ever come up with? One more reason why it's awesome, obviously, but I feel like putting Permanent Waves on my CD player right after it ends
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
02.07.2009 - 03:07
Nicko's Nose
Yeah, the verses sound a lot like Rush, but I think Status Seeker is their most Rush-sounding song.
02.07.2009 - 03:46
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Ag Fox on 01.07.2009 at 01:20

The new Riverside totally beats this imo

I was trying to get into Black Clouds and Silver Linings, but I've been really distracted from it.
Once that Riverside was released I can't take it out of the CD player and haven't listened to much else...
02.07.2009 - 04:55
Quinaitor
I'll give a good review in 2 or 3 weeks... details on every song... but on my three times listening to this album it actually does NOT sound like every other album... It's a lot darker... if you get out wither you have a really agressive album with DAMNED GOOD LYRICS... wft is wrong with that miserable 6 on lyrics?... =S... wft about The Shattered Fortress?... jus my opinion...
----
Metal is flowing through my veins...
02.07.2009 - 06:32
Rating: 6
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Quinaitor on 02.07.2009 at 04:55

wft is wrong with that miserable 6 on lyrics?...

Songwriting isn't just about lyrics. It's mostly about the overall composition of the songs on the album.
02.07.2009 - 06:49
MetalMac
My top DT albums:
1. Images and Words
2. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
3. Metro. Pt. 2
02.07.2009 - 10:02
Quinaitor
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 02.07.2009 at 06:32

Songwriting isn't just about lyrics. It's mostly about the overall composition of the songs on the album.

Certainly... but still... the composition of the lyrics of DT are fitted into the songs... this has been their modus operantis since Falling Into Infinity... so... songwriting on this method is all about lyrics dude =)
----
02.07.2009 - 10:41
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Quinaitor on 02.07.2009 at 10:02

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 02.07.2009 at 06:32

Certainly... but still... the composition of the lyrics of DT are fitted into the songs... this has been their modus operantis since Falling Into Infinity... so... songwriting on this method is all about lyrics dude =)

I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at, because I've listened to the whole album without the vocal tracks... and I think it's quite obvious that the vocal track was one of the last things taken into account when arranging the songs. Lyrics is one aspect of vocal composition, right? And vocals are one piece of song composition, no?

I agree, the vocals fit very nicely with the music, but if you read over the review, he seems to be more concerned with Petrucci and Ruddess's floaty, some-what uninteresting parts during the instrumental parts. I would guess that plays a big part in why he gave the song writing a 6...

("...and unfortunately same patchwork of bridges and chorus with way too many passages of pure technical display that are close to ruining the whole thing.")
02.07.2009 - 13:07
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Introspekrieg on 02.07.2009 at 03:46

Written by Ag Fox on 01.07.2009 at 01:20

The new Riverside totally beats this imo

I was trying to get into Black Clouds and Silver Linings, but I've been really distracted from it.
Once that Riverside was released I can't take it out of the CD player and haven't listened to much else...
exactly I can't stop listening to "Anno Domini High Definition" as well. It's not I don't like Prog, but I don't want to force myself to like an album if I don't find it captivating. Yeah, sure they are really technical musicians and I appreciate it, but there are ways to be technical and captivating at the same time. My personal thoughts anyway
----
loves 小巫
02.07.2009 - 19:18
nb
The album is getting better and better with every listen. Especially The count of Tuscany is a great song. Important thing here: regardless of comparison to other DT albums, the music is very good and enjoyable.
02.07.2009 - 19:41
JohnDoe
Account deleted
The 5th listen - I'm counting, it's ridiculous I know - well I was wrong, the album is growing on me, I like it more and more. Still, I dislike Portnoy's vocals on the first song, he should stick to his drumming, nothing to complain there.

I've got the 3 cds album, so I hope I make time today for the covers and the instrumentals.
02.07.2009 - 20:07
HyperDrifter
The album is great, but i agree that the lyrics could be a little better

I was also disapointed to find that the instrumental mixes cut out more than just the vocals, both Rudess and Petrucci solos are cut too so it sounds really empty. Dammit.
02.07.2009 - 20:28
Quinaitor
To Fat and Sassy...

I said that the lyrics are made to fit into the song!! I mean... they make the instruments... then they fit the lyrics into the song... inverse method than the traditional one...

To JohnDoe...

I also got the 3cd =D... the covers are AWESOME!!!

To DreamingDesire...

I still don't understand what is the problem with lyrics =S
----
02.07.2009 - 22:44
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Well, I've just finished listening to all 3 cds - album-covers-instrumental mixes. The covers are nice, special mentions for Queen's cover (unexpectedly great, for me at least) and the Dixie Dregs cover (for those who don't know, Steve Morse was the guitarist of Dixie Dregs).

The instrumental mixes are OK, enjoyable.
02.07.2009 - 23:36
Rating: 7
Morphis
I found the album enjoyable. Liked very mutch the instrumental CD.
Saw them live last month, they just played Rite of Passage from this new album and sound quite good.
I see this album as a 3 CD album so overall i think 7.5 is a fair rating.
03.07.2009 - 00:26
HyperDrifter
I dont really know, theres something about the lyrics that aren't quite right but im not sure what xD
03.07.2009 - 03:07
x-avier
It's hard to rate a Dream Theater album. Everyone will have their own perspective of the new sound that DT is giving us, but off course like fans like me is hard to understand why they don't sound like awake or I&W or SFAM? they changed so much, this album has so many TOOL PANTERA OPETH and some of DT finest moments. But overall as said in the comment is the same 2000's new DT music direction. I still think that since Kevin Moore left the band DT lost the soul of the music the feeling that we used to feel. I hope some day they will come back to that, I still like this heaviest sound that they are creating but still their old stuff is unique.
03.07.2009 - 06:53
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by HyperDrifter on 03.07.2009 at 00:26

I dont really know, theres something about the lyrics that aren't quite right but im not sure what xD

Hmm... could this be it?

"Your spirit led my life each day
My heart is bleeding bad
But I'll be okay"

These lines make me cringe each time I hear it.
03.07.2009 - 11:00
kaos666
Funny the score about the songwriting, I think that is quite appropriate as even one of the songs themselves on the album is about struggle to write songs
03.07.2009 - 19:03
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
People need to get over the fact that Images and Words, Awake, When Dream & Day Unite and Metropolis part II were already made. They're not gona be made again.

I'm not even speaking about the new album. It's just that this "bring it back syndrome" is unrealistic.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.07.2009 - 23:33
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 03.07.2009 at 19:03

People need to get over the fact that Images and Words, Awake, When Dream & Day Unite and Metropolis part II were already made. They're not gona be made again.

I'm not even speaking about the new album. It's just that this "bring it back syndrome" is unrealistic.

Good point, but I think that some fans (including myself) want the opposite. Maybe see the band go in a new direction. I seriously don't think they will, because they are clearly enjoying making the music they are putting out.

Personally, I'm starting to get tired of their current sound. That doesn't, by any means, mean that I don't like them anymore. Their music's just getting a bit stale to me.
04.07.2009 - 00:12
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 03.07.2009 at 23:33

Good point, but I think that some fans (including myself) want the opposite. Maybe see the band go in a new direction. I seriously don't think they will, because they are clearly enjoying making the music they are putting out.

Personally, I'm starting to get tired of their current sound. That doesn't, by any means, mean that I don't like them anymore. Their music's just getting a bit stale to me.

I understand you. I don't feel like you but I know where you're coming from. I see that you don't have the "bring it back syndrome" lol

I'm not seeing a big change ahead right now, but I'm not closing any doors.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.07.2009 - 02:55
Quinaitor
Written by BloodTears on 04.07.2009 at 00:12

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 03.07.2009 at 23:33

I understand you. I don't feel like you but I know where you're coming from. I see that you don't have the "bring it back syndrome" lol

Erm... i agree with you... Still we are forgetting that DT is a PROGRESSIVE BAND!!! so they do not repeat the pattern of the albums dude... holy shit if you dont like new sound then you are not a fan of DT you are only fan of the albums you liked.. so... make a reflection... and think if you really are into progressive music... or just a few good albums... this is the soul of Progression... ALWAYS CHANGING... EXPERIMENTAL SOUNDS!!! REFRESHING!! not boring repeating =)
----
04.07.2009 - 09:22
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 04.07.2009 at 00:12

Me neither! Dream Theater fans to the death... and "Beyond This Life"!!! >:[ >:[ >:[

Written by Quinaitor on 04.07.2009 at 02:55

... holy shit if you dont like new sound then you are not a fan of DT you are only fan of the albums you liked.. so... make a reflection... and think if you really are into progressive music... or just a few good albums... this is the soul of Progression... ALWAYS CHANGING... EXPERIMENTAL SOUNDS!!! REFRESHING!! not boring repeating =)

I'm not sure if you really thought about what you are saying... but your statement is pretty outrageous.
06.07.2009 - 06:04
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
So... because they are categorized as a progressive band their music is automatically experimental? The Bebot usage was cool though...
06.07.2009 - 08:46
IronBlackZepp
This is a great album guys, I think that all of the band albums are great though. The new DT sound, or the sound thay have had for the last ten years is just as good as their old sound, just more metal. All of the songs here rock, in fact I ended up loving all of the songs. As a whole this is one of the bands best albums, pick it up as soon as possable. Do not listion to this review because it was written to early, this is prog you need to wait a while before you get a clear view of the album as a whole because you might miss things.
06.07.2009 - 21:39
Quinaitor
Written by IronBlackZepp on 06.07.2009 at 08:46

This is a great album guys, I think that all of the band albums are great though. The new DT sound, or the sound thay have had for the last ten years is just as good as their old sound, just more metal. All of the songs here rock, in fact I ended up loving all of the songs. As a whole this is one of the bands best albums, pick it up as soon as possable. Do not listion to this review because it was written to early, this is prog you need to wait a while before you get a clear view of the album as a whole because you might miss things.

that absolutely rocked XD
----

Hits total: 17016 | This month: 38