Metal Storm logo
British Sitcoms

24.07.2009 - 16:33
Hamird
Lieutenant
As I'm getting into this kind of comedies, I open this thread to discuss about your favorite British sitcoms and ones you're watching recently..

I've just got two seasons of "Spaced" and watched two first episodes.. That sounds interesting, especially when it's by Blood & Ice Cream team (Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost)..
Beside this one, I've finished watching Not The 9 O'clock News, and The Blackadder.. And both have became my favorite series (movies) of all time. I watch them over and over..
24.07.2009 - 17:07
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I just watched the whole ''The IT Crowd''.. and its hilarious The third season is a little worse, but the two first are perfect.

That Moss character is one of the most funny in Sitcoms to me. The episode where he meets that German cannibal remains along my favorites.

But thats the only British sticom i've watched, gotta search some information about the ones Hamird write.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
24.07.2009 - 17:10
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Watch Black Books and of course, The Office.

Also, there are a lot of Red Dwarf fans here at MS and we certainly love the show; however, it is not for everyone.
24.07.2009 - 19:05
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yeh, there are countless fantastic comedies from over here. I'm not particularly up-to-date or like a lot of new programmes though.
One show I have given a go recently and really liked is one called "The Inbetweeners". It's basically just some guys at school, but it's funny.
24.07.2009 - 20:58
Hamird
Lieutenant
Have any of you ever seen Mighty Boosh? How is that? I heard from one of friends that's very funny..
24.07.2009 - 21:23
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 24.07.2009 at 20:58

Have any of you ever seen Mighty Boosh? How is that? I heard from one of friends that's very funny..

Lots of people love it. I think it's absolute wank. It's just really random... but not the kind of random things that are actually funny, that are just so ridiculous that they make you chuckle... it's two blokes who look like they're forcing themselves to have some charisma, yet they have none, it's just stolen from other things and isn't genuine, they look like they're trying really hard to be funny, they actually think they are really funny. Well guess what? They arn't very funny at all and it's really painful and sad to watch. A complete waste of time. Yes I hate it, even more so because so many people praise it and it's worthless. In fact it angers me that people like that show.

You said you like Blackadder? You obviously have good taste, so please don't sully your experience of British comedy by exposing yourself to The "Mighty" Boosh (random name that isn't funny).
25.07.2009 - 19:13
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Uirapuru on 24.07.2009 at 17:07

I just watched the whole ''The IT Crowd''.. and its hilarious The third season is a little worse, but the two first are perfect.

Agree, it's really great. :>
11.08.2009 - 20:17
Hamird
Lieutenant
I just finished watching the first season of The Thin Blue Line.. It was awesome. It had many funny moments. Of course it can't beat The Blackadder for sure, but it's so good.. The Rag Week episode was so funny..
13.08.2009 - 03:06
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by [user id=2943] on 24.07.2009 at 21:23

Written by Hamird on 24.07.2009 at 20:58

Lots of people love it. I think it's absolute wank. It's just really random... but not the kind of random things that are actually funny, that are just so ridiculous that they make you chuckle... it's two blokes who look like they're forcing themselves to have some charisma, yet they have none, it's just stolen from other things and isn't genuine, they look like they're trying really hard to be funny, they actually think they are really funny. Well guess what? They arn't very funny at all and it's really painful and sad to watch. A complete waste of time. Yes I hate it, even more so because so many people praise it and it's worthless. In fact it angers me that people like that show.

You said you like Blackadder? You obviously have good taste, so please don't sully your experience of British comedy by exposing yourself to The "Mighty" Boosh (random name that isn't funny).

You are not alone my friend! I also hate that despicable crap with a passion.

So that's right. Top tip: never watch The Mighty Boosh.
13.08.2009 - 17:04
Warman
Erotic Stains
"The Office" is probably one of the best sitcoms out there, gotta love David Brent. And I have never understood the american version.
----
13.08.2009 - 19:48
Hamird
Lieutenant
So according to folks here, I'm not going to get The Mighty Boosh..
While I was searching on the net I found Britain's Best Sitcom.. In that list there's Only For Fools and Horses is on top of the list.. How is that one?
25.08.2009 - 21:41
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I've been a lifelong fan of British sitcoms

Yes Minister , absolutely brilliant political satire

Yes Prime Minister , read above

Dad's army , group of old farts wants to give their efforts aganist nazi germany with often hilarious results

Allo Allo , brilliant parody of French resistance during occupation in WWII

Not the Nine O'Clock news , brilliant comedy sketch show Rowan Atkinson,Mel Smith,Griff Rhys Jones

British sitcom are 10 times better than US equivalent shows
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
25.08.2009 - 21:53
Baz Anderson
Staff
I've just got into "Bottom".
I love Rik Mayall, and this is just genius. It's a guy's program, and it is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen.
You must see "Bottom".
26.08.2009 - 00:08
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I saw some parts of a couple of series, but i have to say, i am somehow not into this genre...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.08.2009 - 16:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
My favourites are:

The New Statesman brilliant political satire with Rik Mayall as Tory MP and in season 4 as member of the European Parlaiment.

Men Behaving Badly anyone who has lived inone house with another guy will certainly recognize loads of things in there. Martin Clunes and Neil Morrisey are absolutely brilliant in there.

Bottom for my thoughts on it I refer to Baz's and The Shape 1973's posts

The Young Ones another great Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson vehicle. Totally anarchic show, and typically early 80s in setting and all. Totally off-the-wall sort of humourm, and just like Bottom actually mainly for guys imo.

and of course

Black Adder all four series are brilliant but my favourite is probably the WWI one.

Of course I have these five series complete on DVD.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.08.2009 - 04:10
kesh
Account deleted
Many a night i've sat through series after series imagining I'm 3 million years into space tracking/on the mining ship Red Dwarf.

Bottom's great, specially the one where there camping out in Wimbledon common. Fishing with Eddies vest and hunting with a blow pipe. Was choking with laughing.

Father Ted - too many brilliant episodes to pick from.

Some good programs later at night on BBC2 or Channel 4 years ago that were underated like Operation Good Guys - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdBl0uAIa_s ; with some great characters like D.I. Beach. The bit with the dwarf is hilarious Things like Spaced, that are normally on BBC3 now like The Inbetweeners. Alan Partridge: "Smell my cheese you mother!" Fawlty Towers.
29.08.2009 - 04:30
kesh
Account deleted
League of Gentlemen.
29.08.2009 - 12:55
Baz Anderson
Staff
Hahaha yes, I saw the new Shooting Stars. I used to love that when I was a little kid - my mum would never let me watch it, but conveniently I spent Friday's over at my granny's house and I could watch it there. Hahaha. Looking back, it is still totally crazy what they put their guests through.

Yes, Red Dwarf and Blackadder are also two of my absolute favourites. Mr Bean is also a top favourite, but people probably already knew that, hahaha.

Father Ted is a good one, but does it count as British? It was shown on our TV, but it is an Irish show isn't it?
30.08.2009 - 00:23
Baz Anderson
Staff
I also agree about Ricky Gervais and Catherine Tate. I don't find these people funny at all - they way they act is like they are performing to idiots or something.
30.08.2009 - 02:47
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I watched the pilot for The IT Crowd and it was so bad that I had to turn it off. The story seemed fine and the opening was really funny (camera zoomed in on the picture haha), but that one character with glasses and an afro annoys the hell out of me. I thought I could just ignore him but he became too much for me to handle.

But the main dude looks like Barney from Napalm Death so that's pretty cool
31.08.2009 - 08:58
kesh
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 30.08.2009 at 02:47

I watched the pilot for The IT Crowd and it was so bad that I had to turn it off. The story seemed fine and the opening was really funny (camera zoomed in on the picture haha), but that one character with glasses and an afro annoys the hell out of me. I thought I could just ignore him but he became too much for me to handle.

But the main dude looks like Barney from Napalm Death so that's pretty cool

It was wrote by the writers who wrote Father Ted, which is waaay funnier imo. If you like the idea of 3 mad priests on a tiny island full of mad people in Ireland, then it's right up your street.
31.08.2009 - 09:05
kesh
Account deleted
Written by Irritable Ted on 29.08.2009 at 11:35

I know it is not really a sitcom, but Shooting Stars with Vic and Bob is back.

It was a very surreal comedy quiz show, you had to see it to see how mad it was. It was where Matt Lucas from Little Britain first became known.

Yea, it was brilliant at times. There was a period of about 4-5 shows were it was just constantly funny the whole 30 minutes. The time when Matt Lucas sang 'his song' called Peanuts dressed in an green costume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch09WDM1Fsg

This series they all seem abit too self-conscious to me, the audience isn't laughing as much, Vic & Bob look abit nervous having been off air for so long. Though the new panel guy (not Jack Dee) with Ulrika is hilarious.
02.09.2009 - 01:08
MetalSpider
I dont really watch any British sitcoms....except for Sorry. If you guys have never heard of Sorry...you should definitely check it out. Its hilarious!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
02.09.2009 - 03:18
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
COUPLING!!!!

Get the first 3 series of this. Fourth one is rubbish. Awesome comedy.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
02.09.2009 - 17:52
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Baz Anderson on 25.08.2009 at 21:53

I've just got into "Bottom".
I love Rik Mayall, and this is just genius. It's a guy's program, and it is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen.
You must see "Bottom".

Rik Mayall is just brilliant.. I liked Flash Heart character more than any other one in Blackadder series.. Wooooof, wooooof..
He's one the funniest personal in this business.
OK, so I'll get this one..
06.09.2009 - 11:46
Baz Anderson
Staff
Series 2 of Bottom was my favourite. They are all good but they seem to be doing the same thing over in the third series.

I just watched my first episodes of Peep Show last night - I'd never bothered with it before. I thought it was quite amusing and very good in places. The constant camera switching was a little annoying at first though.
14.09.2009 - 00:41
Baz Anderson
Staff
Peep Show.

This is one of those programs that I didn't know before it got really popular, and then when it did get really popular that put me off it. Over the last week I have pretty much watched all (current) five series' of it and I think it is fantastic. Hahahaha, I can't do anything in life any more without thinking like these two guys would.
One of the most consistently funny programs I have seen for a long time - hopefully this new series 6 will be just as good.
14.09.2009 - 17:05
ylside
Staff
Written by Baz Anderson on 14.09.2009 at 00:41

Peep Show.

This is one of those programs that I didn't know before it got really popular, and then when it did get really popular that put me off it. Over the last week I have pretty much watched all (current) five series' of it and I think it is fantastic. Hahahaha, I can't do anything in life any more without thinking like these two guys would.
One of the most consistently funny programs I have seen for a long time - hopefully this new series 6 will be just as good.

Same here, went through the whole 5 series last June or May. Hope the 6th season would be great too!

Also, That Mitchell and Webb Look season 3 was awesome
Green Wing is also a favorite of mine.
24.09.2009 - 12:48
Hamird
Lieutenant
I just finished the first season of Bottom. And today I've got the second one.. Rik Mayall's performance is outstanding.. And that Edmondson guy plays very nice as well. I haven't seen anything before by him, but in Bottom he's so funny.
25.09.2009 - 17:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hamird on 24.09.2009 at 12:48

I just finished the first season of Bottom. And today I've got the second one.. Rik Mayall's performance is outstanding.. And that Edmondson guy plays very nice as well. I haven't seen anything before by him, but in Bottom he's so funny.

You should check out The Young Ones that also has Edmondson and Mayall in it and it is from before Bottom.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996