Metal Storm logo
Who's your favorite dead Artist?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 30.07.2006 - 11:53
My favorite dead artist is the everlasting DIMEBAG DARRELL or Darrell Lance Abbott most famous for his guitar playing in the world famous PANTERA ... R.I.P. 12/8/2004 ex- (Damageplan, Tres Diablos, Gasoline, David Allen Coe/Rebel Meets Rebel)
What about you?

21.07.2008 - 21:59
Gordon Freeman
Written by K✞ulu on 21.07.2008 at 21:23

Written by Gordon Freeman on 21.07.2008 at 20:15

But there were many death metal bands before Death so the idea that he invented the genre or named it is a misconception.

Like what?

After further research I realize that I may have put my foot in my mouth here.

But in my defense there were several bands that started around the same time as Death. Necrophagia, Possessed (Who's album "Death Metal" I believe was what gave the genre it's name. I could be wrong but I think the album pre-dates Death's switch from their original name Mantas), and Slaughter.

So I suppose, like the creation of Progressive Death metal, the creation of Death Metal itself was largely a collective effort of several bands.

See...I can admit when I'm wrong...or at least...not entirely right...
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
21.07.2008 - 23:08
Tamara
Account deleted
I won't say that Chuck Schuldiner invented Death Metal, but I will tell that he left the most influence on DM bands...
So, I choose Chuck!

Support music, not rumors!
22.07.2008 - 07:31
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
recently ive been listening to an irrational amount of windir. valfar is a goddamn madman just like his brother, vegard, who sang in the sognametal DVD.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
22.07.2008 - 08:33
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Gordon Freeman on 21.07.2008 at 21:59

Written by K✞ulu on 21.07.2008 at 21:23

Written by Gordon Freeman on 21.07.2008 at 20:15

But there were many death metal bands before Death so the idea that he invented the genre or named it is a misconception.

Like what?

After further research I realize that I may have put my foot in my mouth here.

But in my defense there were several bands that started around the same time as Death. Necrophagia, Possessed (Who's album "Death Metal" I believe was what gave the genre it's name. I could be wrong but I think the album pre-dates Death's switch from their original name Mantas), and Slaughter.

So I suppose, like the creation of Progressive Death metal, the creation of Death Metal itself was largely a collective effort of several bands.

See...I can admit when I'm wrong...or at least...not entirely right...

good job man. Probably noone can actually prove that "band x" started Death Metal, so I think we could just all agree with you that it was "a collective effort." But Death recorded their first demo in 1983 as opposed to Possessed, who did that in 1984. But I think it doesn't matter much. Actually Chuck himself listened to a lot of Possessed and liked it.

And when was asked about being called the father of death metal, he said, "i don't think so... I think probably Venom started it (like using down-tuned guitars bla bla bla." This is not a very accurate quote, but he says that in this video at 3:25-4:00. And it's a good interview overall to unveil the real Chuck, so watch if you haven't already.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
22.07.2008 - 18:00
Gordon Freeman
Written by K✞ulu on 22.07.2008 at 08:33

good job man. Probably noone can actually prove that "band x" started Death Metal, so I think we could just all agree with you that it was "a collective effort." But Death recorded their first demo in 1983 as opposed to Possessed, who did that in 1984. But I think it doesn't matter much. Actually Chuck himself listened to a lot of Possessed and liked it.

And when was asked about being called the father of death metal, he said, "i don't think so... I think probably Venom started it (like using down-tuned guitars bla bla bla." This is not a very accurate quote, but he says that in this video at 3:25-4:00. And it's a good interview overall to unveil the real Chuck, so watch if you haven't already.

Thanks. I'll check it out...when I'm not at work.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
27.07.2008 - 15:24
k1tu
There are many of the best who have fallen...
R.I.P - Darrell "Dimebag" Lance Abbott.
R.I.P - Cliff Burton.
R.I.P - Lane Staley.
R.I.P - Kurt Cobain.
R.I.P - Audrey Pitre.
R.I.P - Jimi Hendrix.
R.I.P - Bon Scott.
R.I.P - Gunnar Graps.
22.08.2008 - 09:21
Anarchist
If we're talking metal probably Quorthon from Bathory. But John Lennon, Kurt Cobain and Jimi Hendrix would have to be my top 3.
22.08.2008 - 10:51
Oracle
Orcinus
My favourite dead artist is Chuck Schuldiner because he is a great guitarist and vocalist. He influenced alot of DM bands too. Death is also a really awesome band so yeah definitely chuck
22.08.2008 - 11:42
TheBigRossowski
Written by Anarchist on 22.08.2008 at 09:21

If we're talking metal probably Quorthon from Bathory. But John Lennon, Kurt Cobain and Jimi Hendrix would have to be my top 3.

Absolutely! Quorthon...Bathory....:thumbup: and Jon Nödtveidt.

That list is pretty good too except for Cobain, he's better off dead. I would have added Johnny Cash. His cover of 'Hurt' is one of the greatest.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
22.08.2008 - 13:54
Knightrider
The Sorcerer
Since I am Metallica's fan and also play bass, it is surely the one and only Cliff Burton.
22.08.2008 - 15:18
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Knightrider on 22.08.2008 at 13:54

Since I am Metallica's fan and also play bass, it is surely the one and only Cliff Burton.

Well, that's a good reason indeed...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
22.08.2008 - 23:42
Anarchist
Written by TheBigRossowski on 22.08.2008 at 11:42

That list is pretty good too except for Cobain, he's better off dead.

how so?
18.09.2008 - 00:12
Number Juan
Chuck Schuldiner. It pains me to think I will never see Death live.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
18.09.2008 - 00:15
Number Juan
Written by Anarchist on 22.08.2008 at 23:42

how so?

Lots of metalheads don't like Nirvana or grunge in general. I personally think he and his band are overrated but I will not say I am glad he is dead. I just think he guaranteed his band's immortality by blowing his brains
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
18.09.2008 - 01:31
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
Written by Number Juan on 18.09.2008 at 00:15

how so?

Lots of metalheads don't like Nirvana or grunge in general. I personally think he and his band are overrated but I will not say I am glad he is dead. I just think he guaranteed his band's immortality by blowing his brains

personally i think kurt cobain was really talented i enjoyed nirvana and was a big fan of some of there songs
18.09.2008 - 01:51
Number Juan
Written by Author on 18.09.2008 at 01:31

how so?

personally i think kurt cobain was really talented i enjoyed nirvana and was a big fan of some of there songs

Well to each his own. I just think that if he was alive today, he would not be nearly as legendary. His band would have disbanded like most grunge bands or gone the way of Pearl Jam, aging gracefully but not nearly as lauded or critically acclaimed. To be honest, I think Dave Grohl has more talent since he is a good drummer and can play guitar and sing better than Cobain could. Plus, he was able to have success and step out of the shadow of his former band.
----
18.09.2008 - 02:23
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
Written by Number Juan on 18.09.2008 at 01:51

Written by Author on 18.09.2008 at 01:31

how so?

Well to each his own. I just think that if he was alive today, he would not be nearly as legendary. His band would have disbanded like most grunge bands or gone the way of Pearl Jam, aging gracefully but not nearly as lauded or critically acclaimed. To be honest, I think Dave Grohl has more talent since he is a good drummer and can play guitar and sing better than Cobain could. Plus, he was able to have success and step out of the shadow of his former band.

you know i cant really disagree Nirvana i think is mostly well known as the band who blew his brains all over the ceiling.but yea i think they would have disbanded i read in this guitar mag that he was about to end the band due to being so pissed and angry from his heroin withdrawal.
21.09.2008 - 17:43
Jonnz of Steel
Gar Samuelson. His drumming on the first Megadeth albums is simply lethal. RIP
23.09.2008 - 11:05
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Probably Cliff Burton and Jimi Hendrix for obvious reasons. RIP guys..
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
23.09.2008 - 17:30
-Soulreaper-
Would have to say Chuck, Valfar, Jon Nödtveidt, and Quorthon. Some of the most influential musicians that have ever lived in my opinion. They will be missed.
08.10.2008 - 11:55
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Cliff Burton, Lane Staley , Kurt Cobain , Quorthon , Chuck ,Matsumoto Hideto
----
Stay Metal !!!
11.08.2009 - 18:23
Razorback
Dimebag,at least that i can bring back someone it would be him.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
12.08.2009 - 15:11
Smurfophagist
RIP Dead, Quorthon, Valfar, my favorite deceased artists
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
12.08.2009 - 18:32
TheOwl
Quorthon, Midnight, Chuck Schuldiner, Cliff Burton........
13.08.2009 - 09:19
Eeric
Account deleted
Freddie Mercury without a doubt
15.08.2009 - 00:52
Urizen367
Quorthon and Chuck Schuldiner

those two are some of my biggest influences as a guitarist and songwriter. i would not be the musician i am today without them. no doubt about it.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
15.08.2009 - 02:07
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
That would be the great Layne Staley. A lyrical genius and one of a kind vocalist, he was a tortured guy but oh so talented and even more of an understanding person from what I have noticed and heard.
----
15.08.2009 - 02:21
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
I would have to go with Chuck Schuldiner, who seems to be a favorite here, and Cliff Burton.
16.08.2009 - 03:09
Glower
Valfar would have to be my favorite. His work in Windir is amazing and is what got me listening to black metal in the first place. I'm so upset that I'll never get to see Windir live.
Chuck Schuldiner, too.
17.08.2009 - 17:36
dEAthB3D
Dimebag Darrell (i love Pantera and his skill was amazing)

Vitek ( Craziest drummer)

Valfar of Windir ( genius musician, my favourite black metal artist of all time)

Cliff Burton ( like hell u won't pick this guy he's the soul of metallica , also the one encouraged me to play bass guitar)

Chuck Schuldiner (The one and only Lord of Death Metal truly one of the best musician ever)
rest in peace
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason