Metal Storm logo
What turned you into a Metal Head?

Original post

Posted by Bleed4Metal, 26.03.2010 - 19:39
I was never really into music as a kid. Than my uncles gave me some old school metal albums (Sabbath, Metallica, Pantera) and ever since its been metal through and through.
27.02.2014 - 15:00
Innika
Honestly just got bored of the music I was listening to (I'd progressed from pop music to Marilyn Manson, Korn etc) and thought out of curiosity I'd check out metal. I just started to listen to everything. I probably got into Iron Maiden and Megadeth first and then just started to listen to heavier stuff.
01.03.2014 - 05:10
ADIresiduos
I actually started with some pop and rock in the late 70's... then a friend from elementary school lend me a cassette that started it all for me: the number of the beast!! I immediately loved the fast and heavy guitars!!..... and the rest is history.
02.03.2014 - 03:28
Diverge
I initially got into metal through the popular 80s groups, especially Def Leppard and Van Halen. But when my friend recommended Noumena and Blood Stain Child, I knew that metal was something I needed to seriously consider.
And while I've tried to give other genres of music a chance, very few of them deliver masterpieces as consistently as metal does for me. There are consistently 9-level albums every year and, on a good year, maybe a 10 or two.
02.03.2014 - 04:45
Darth Revan
I used to just not listen to music at all. Then I found Dragonforce... mostly because the name sounded cool to my 13 year old tastes. I slowly progressed from there, going from power, to thrash, to gothenburg to death. I still have a soft spot for Dragonforce to this day, they introduced me to metal.
04.03.2014 - 07:54
Gawain
Account deleted
I downloaded Anathema's Weather Systems because I liked the album art and the review on Allmusic. That was probably the first rock album I've listened to. After that I downloaded their discography and after that I've been listening to metal almost exclusively.

Oh and it helped a bit that my dad had been occasionally listening to metallica's Master of Puppets and the Black album and he was the biggest fan of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

But he didn't influence me a lot I think since when he was listening to those guys I was like 12 so I hated it. I mostly came by myself into metal.
07.03.2014 - 08:05
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
I started with listening to Nu-Metal on the Radio in elementary school, mostly KoRn/Linkin Park type stuff. In middle school got more into it when my bro and friend got into Metallica. I admit I almost didn't like it as first as it wasnt as accessible as Nu-Metal but after a few months I ditched the Nu and exclusively listened to Metallica and Black Sabbath for like a year. Then one night on the internet me and my bro discovered that Metallica was only one of many "Metal" bands, blew our minds and have been a Metalhead ever since. Started with the old school 80's bands and then eventually branched into more modern extreme metal thanks to Children of Bodom(back before HCDR). The rest is history.

I think Metal is one of those things in your blood, when I listened to KoRn as a kid I got this indescribable adrenaline rush, most people get turned off by the stuff. At the same time Metal is bit of an aquired taste, Every time I get into a new genre there is always a learning curve and often I'll be exposed to something but will take several months before I go back and really get into it, like with Metallica the first time.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
07.03.2014 - 08:25
angel.
Evil Butterfly
The love of long-haired fabulous bastards
----
The Fangirl.
15.03.2014 - 13:40
MDM87
My dad is a big metal fan so i grew up with this music so i would say metal for life
16.03.2014 - 23:30
Eddie Leyton
The film "xXx".

Rammstein is featured in the first scene. They are playing in a Russian underground club.

Rammstein was ever since my favourite metal band.
22.03.2014 - 05:13
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Xxx film? yeah, I watch a lot of these too.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
22.03.2014 - 13:53
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Karlabos on 22.03.2014 at 05:13

so you really get turned on by Vin Diesel
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
25.03.2014 - 07:46
Jtbmetal123
Written by MDM87 on 15.03.2014 at 13:40

My dad is a big metal fan so i grew up with this music so i would say metal for life

Same story for me, My dad introduced Metallica to me. Ever since then, Metal for life!
25.03.2014 - 21:09
MDM87
Written by Jtbmetal123 on 25.03.2014 at 07:46

Written by MDM87 on 15.03.2014 at 13:40

Same story for me, My dad introduced Metallica to me. Ever since then, Metal for life!

yea metallica were one of the first bands i listened too but the really first for me were black sabbath , led zeppelin, motörhead...
26.03.2014 - 11:48
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 22.03.2014 at 13:53

Who doesn't?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
26.03.2014 - 11:53
ANGEL REAPER
Written by M C Vice on 26.03.2014 at 11:48

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 22.03.2014 at 13:53

Who doesn't?

my grandma...she says that he looks like fish ....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
01.04.2014 - 19:15
Jtbmetal123
Written by MDM87 on 25.03.2014 at 21:09

yea metallica were one of the first bands i listened too but the really first for me were black sabbath , led zeppelin, motörhead...

The classics. Once I heard Slipknot and metallica. I got into the classics. Both of those bands got me into classic rock. All of those bands rule by the way
01.04.2014 - 21:02
MDM87
Written by Jtbmetal123 on 01.04.2014 at 19:15

The classics. Once I heard Slipknot and metallica. I got into the classics. Both of those bands got me into classic rock. All of those bands rule by the way

today i listen to almost every rock and metal genre from queen to dying fetus all
07.04.2014 - 19:46
Jtbmetal123
Written by MDM87 on 01.04.2014 at 21:02

Written by Jtbmetal123 on 01.04.2014 at 19:15

today i listen to almost every rock and metal genre from queen to dying fetus all

Same here, I am open to all types of music. I give all music one chance.
21.04.2014 - 21:04
telephonebear
Account deleted
I know a lot of people hate it as they say its false and stuff like that, but for me it was playing guitar hero. i got better at it and needed harder songs to play so i played the metal ones and really grew to like the music. iron maiden's 2 minutes to midnight from GH5, then the Metallica spin off game and then i started my collection delving deeper into the different areas of metal.
30.04.2014 - 22:49
jeffhayden
Make sure you know about metal before you educate someone else on the subject.
23.05.2014 - 17:43
Schizoid6.6
Already being an avid classic rock/hard rock fan, it was only logical that I'd follow metal as well. Particularly thrash and classic heavy to start with. But my recent interest with extreme metal tends to be most alleviating of my daily frustrations whilst in the navy. Like beer, I had to develop a taste for it. Too much great music out there to be an exclusive 'metalhead' though.
23.05.2014 - 18:47
Wingtorte
My mother was into Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd, Queen, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin etc and my father into a lot of 60s/70s rock like Jethro Tull, The Eagles etc. Metal/rock was always around me as a kid (as well as music in general since my father was a musician who played a variety of genres and instruments, and also had a big cassette/vinyl collection). Like a lot of kids I listened basically to whatever my parents listened to until I was in middle school at which point I had a very brief/short punk phase before I discovered Slayer's Show No Mercy shortly after. Was at that point that I became a metalhead "proper," became obsessed and started exploring for myself at CD shops and in magazines (funny enough in the beginning a lot of those magazines I would just sit in the store and read until they kick me out lol I did by a lot of magazines back then, though...especially compared to now).
26.05.2014 - 12:32
kewn
A friend introduced me to Korn. As an angsty teenager i thought it was awesome, obviously. then another friend introduced us both to In Flames and one thing led to another
29.05.2014 - 05:33
Delvestius
My dead was an 80s metalhead. He got to see Black Sabbath, Dio, Black Sabbath with Dio, Metallica, Megadeth, Kiss, Accept, Mercyful Fate, Iron Maiden (six times), Judas Priest, Deep Purple and a few others I (and he) can't remember.

My first favorite band in grade school was Linkin Park. By freshman year of highschool I was into Dragonforce, but I quickly outgrew that and started listening to Iron Maiden, who my dad took me to see in '09, best concert of my life. The first genre I got really into was Folk Metal, though I was still never partial to the more extreme vocalists.

Amon Amarth is the band that started getting acclimated to dirty vocals, saw them in '11. I started listening to death and groove and dirty thrash, but it took me until the past year to fully appreciate black metal, and now some of my favorite bands include Immortal, Rotting Christ and Belphegor. I now consider myself a sifter of all metals, of which Industrial, Nu and Metalcore are not.
29.05.2014 - 17:59
ditmas_duke
Used to listen to Queen, AC/DC, Zeppelin in the mid 80's. Then got into Sabbath by hearing "Paranoid" and "Master Of Reality." Then I discovered your Judas Priest, Metallica, Maiden, etc. Then later on I got into the 2nd Carnivore LP and got way into playing fast. Started listening to more hardcore/punk as well. 6 months later Napalm Death released "Scum" and it blew my mind. Started getting more into death metal after that. Death and Bolt Thrower quickly became favorites.
20.06.2014 - 08:23
Ganondox
While living in Brazil Iron Maiden came, and I started listening to them. I also got my first iPod and headphones around the time I started watching MLP:FiM., and after I discovered SlutFox's remix of "Your Gonna Go Far Kid" I started listening to PMVs, which exposed to many bands, first DragonForce Skillet, then System of a Down, Disturbed, and Breaking Benjamin. (the first PMV I actually saw was for Battlefield by Blind Guardian, but I forgot about it). First metal genre I liked was power metal, and it just continued from there.
21.06.2014 - 21:51
JayMo4
The internet. Don't get me wrong; I loved a lot of the heavier music I had been exposed to before that: Metallica, Black Sabbath, 90's grunge stuff... But once I got online in the late 90's and started exploring I was shocked at how much was out there that I had never heard of before. I remember hearing Opeth for the first time and being actually angry that such music existed but no one had ever let me hear it before then. I truly felt like I had been deprived, like I was finally allowed to breathe fresh air and watch the sun set after spending a lifetime locked in a dark basement somewhere.

So I became a metalhead, and more than that an addict to exploring music in general. Having the ability to stream music, talk to people in forums, etc opened my ears to metal, classical, jazz, music from around the world, obscure releases off of smaller labels, etc. The only downside with so much available is that I know I can never come close to hearing everything I'd like to. In metal alone, I still feel like I haven't heard but maybe 10% of what I want to.
22.06.2014 - 06:07
-Quatropus-
Written by JayMo4 on 21.06.2014 at 21:51

The internet. Don't get me wrong; I loved a lot of the heavier music I had been exposed to before that: Metallica, Black Sabbath, 90's grunge stuff... But once I got online in the late 90's and started exploring I was shocked at how much was out there that I had never heard of before.

You know I was exactly the same. I listened to albums in my step dad's collection which consisted albums of Dio, Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Megadeth, but I realized how much other things existed outside of what I was just listening to on MTV2 at the time (which was nu-metal stuff). I didn't even know there were so many genres and I really didn't get into them until years after.
24.06.2014 - 15:27
Mad Arab666
Listened to songs. Liked them enough to check them out. Simples.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
25.06.2014 - 07:17
The Rabbit
Rob Zombie was my gateway drug into the world of metal.