07. A Simple Mistake
08. Get Off Get Out
09. Universal
10. Hindsight

The Best Alternative Metal Album Of 2010

Additional info
Produced by Anathema
Mixed by Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree)
Mastered by Jon Astley (The Who, Led Zeppelin)

Backing vocals on 5 by Ville Valo (H.I.M.)
String arrangements by Dave Stewart (Stewart/Gaskin, Porcupine Tree)

The vinyl edition version of the album comes on double 180gr. black vinyl with a
gatefold sleeve on heavyweight card with printed inner sleeves. The vinyl will
be limited to 2000 numbered copies and will come with drop card with a link to
download a digital version of the album.

Recorded at the Bunglaow, Yorkshire; and Propagation House, Cornwall.
Strings recorded at Angel Studios, London.
Produced by Anathema.
Mixed by Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree).
Mastered by Jon Astley (The Who, Led Zeppelin).

Re-released as a Special Edition by The End Records in 2011 with the following bonus material:
11. Angels Walk Among Us (demo mix) (5:06)
12. Presence (demo mix) (2:36)
13. A Simple Mistake (demo mix) (8:15).

7inch:
Side A: Dreaming Light (Orchestral Version) (5:33)
Side B: Universal (Orchestral Version) (7:25).

Download Only Track:
01. Everything (demo mix) (5:14).

Staff review by
jupitreas
Rating:
N/A
Anathema have long since abandoned their trademark style and their current eclecticism is as much of a trait as it is a fault. Willingness to experiment and grow as a band is, of course, always praise-worthy; however, Anathema have a distinct stench about them - the unmistakable, shiver-inducing stench of being a follower.

Read more ››
published 27.07.2010 | Comments (43)

Found in 27 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 73   Visited by: 1288 users
04.06.2010 - 03:17
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Argônio on 04.06.2010 at 00:28

Peaceful and great songs! Only the last one "Hindsight" remind me Porcupine Tree (a lot), but still terrific.

Steve Wilson had a lot of input on this album - why there are so many prog elements
----
rekt
04.06.2010 - 06:34
Rating: 5
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Argônio on 04.06.2010 at 00:28

Peaceful and great songs! Only the last one "Hindsight" remind me Porcupine Tree (a lot), but still terrific.

and I think thats why they are not even new Anathema. I think this is their third era and they finally succeeded to make me feel sick about them too! because I was one of those who loved their whole works, but now I cant take this last brilliant album.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
06.06.2010 - 00:41
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
This is the opening of a new ere for Anathema - a more serene, peacefula nd optimistic one.

For now I've listened to it once, and I've ot to come to to terms with what they've done...
Beautiful, but I'm not sure it's really to my liking. Respectable and a success, as it was what they aimed for, sure.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
07.06.2010 - 06:52
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Darkside Momo on 06.06.2010 at 00:41

This is the opening of a new ere for Anathema - a more serene, peacefula nd optimistic one.

and to be honest they have to search their fans out of Metal community, when someone thinks like that and when someone is not even a hard rock band, why they are playing in some Sonisphere fests?

I cant explain, but they are really bothering after their simple mistake single and all of those stuff after that. cant say why but I think they are really cheap now and it happened suddenly because their whole carrier was very nice IMO.
----
07.06.2010 - 23:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Even more serene and peaceful? That is impossible cause the albums were already the epitome of peaceful and serene for me. And this one continues in the exact same way.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.06.2010 - 23:38
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.06.2010 at 23:29

Even more serene and peaceful? That is impossible cause the albums were already the epitome of peaceful and serene for me. And this one continues in the exact same way.

Well, I don't really consider their previous albums to be totally peaceful and serene, even if there some (or a lot, depends on the album) moments like that. But if you take A Fine Day To Exit, for example, I consider it on the whole a bit more depressing than luminous...
That's why I say that this WHBWH is much more peaceful, as this feeling permeates the whole album, and not only some parts. IMO, of course!
Differences of perceptions I guess!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
08.06.2010 - 05:28
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
@Darkside Momo, Im agree with you, for example ''Pressure'' is a song which is talking about stress and emptiness and you cant see these in its music video too, the man embarrassed an ... , and at least they had some good lyrics IMO.
----
10.06.2010 - 19:39
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
"I that I know is I love you" hahahaha, what an Anathema.
----
11.06.2010 - 13:41
Rating: 8
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Seems to me that some of you forgot they turned to atmospheric Rock since 2001. The last 3 albums (including Hindsight) were really good in the general opinion, and this one is not exception. I like the early Anathema, but I really like what they have become in the last few years as well.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
11.06.2010 - 17:35
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Dark Blood on 11.06.2010 at 13:41

Seems to me that some of you forgot they turned to atmospheric Rock since 2001. The last 3 albums (including Hindsight) were really good in the general opinion, and this one is not exception. I like the early Anathema, but I really like what they have become in the last few years as well.

they had really good lyrics, they were not about I love you I love I love, Anathema has lost their little respect which was left in metal community. I really cant love a band who is against its Past. do you know what ''A Simple Mistake'' means to me? they mean their whole career was a simple mistake! take a look at the 100% opposite lyrics of the song. ''we are just a moment in time''. then go to hell and find new fans.
----
11.06.2010 - 19:24
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Elyar S. on 11.06.2010 at 17:35

they had really good lyrics, they were not about I love you I love I love, Anathema has lost their little respect which was left in metal community. I really cant love a band who is against its Past. do you know what ''A Simple Mistake'' means to me? they mean their whole career was a simple mistake! take a look at the 100% opposite lyrics of the song. ''we are just a moment in time''. then go to hell and find new fans.

Well, I respect your opinion and how you see their lyrics.. but I think its a little too harsh to say they're claiming that their career was a mistake.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
11.06.2010 - 20:03
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Dark Blood on 11.06.2010 at 19:24

Well, I respect your opinion and how you see their lyrics.. but I think its a little too harsh to say they're claiming that their career was a mistake.

if its not, so why they didnt play even a song from Eternity and before it in the last concert (a month ago) when I saw them? not even from Eternity, but they played all love songs one last goodbye and so on. I really disappointed from their A Simple Mistake single (or better to say their first site release song). We're not just a moment in time.. (in my ex post Ive made a mistake and wrote ''we just moment in time'' which is the lyrics about the song called ''Shroud Of False'' from Alternative 4 album). so it has a meaning for me, it means the lyrics and thoughts in Alternative 4 album were all just a simple mistake

the other sign is their Hindlist album look at the Track list just one song from Eternity album and nothing about before that album. they didnt even include the ''Far Away'' or and ''Eternity Part III'' but they were almost ready because they had already released them in their Digipack version of Eternity. (at least as a bonus again, but they didnt)

I think if they even release a Compilation album they wont include the masterpiece songs like Sleepless, A Dying Wish, The Silent Enigma, They Die, Sweet Tears or my loved song Ascension. (there are a lot more)
----
11.06.2010 - 22:01
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Elyar S. on 11.06.2010 at 20:03

if its not, so why they didnt play even a song from Eternity and before it in the last concert (a month ago) when I saw them? not even from Eternity, but they played all love songs one last goodbye and so on. I really disappointed from their A Simple Mistake single (or better to say their first site release song). We're not just a moment in time.. (in my ex post Ive made a mistake and wrote ''we just moment in time'' which is the lyrics about the song called ''Shroud Of False'' from Alternative 4 album). so it has a meaning for me, it means the lyrics and thoughts in Alternative 4 album were all just a simple mistake

the other sign is their Hindlist album look at the Track list just one song from Eternity album and nothing about before that album. they didnt even include the ''Far Away'' or and ''Eternity Part III'' but they were almost ready because they had already released them in their Digipack version of Eternity. (at least as a bonus again, but they didnt)

I think if they even release a Compilation album they wont include the masterpiece songs like Sleepless, A Dying Wish, The Silent Enigma, They Die, Sweet Tears or my loved song Ascension. (there are a lot more)

I understand the contradiction from the lyrics in 'A Simple Mistake' and 'Shroud of Fate', but honestly I don't think it was their intention to say they made a mistake on their career. People tend to change their opinions over time and the way they think about life and other stuff. The experience changes throughout time, and that can cause a change of opinions on some subjects and how we see certain matters. Besides, those lyrics were written by different members, so it's normal that there are different points of views, you know. I completely understand what you are saying and feeling, but maybe you're being a little harsh on them: just because there is a contradictory phrase on a song called 'A Simple Mistake' doesn't mean they are referring to their career.

I understand that they only used one song from Eternity on Hindsight and none from previous albums... and yeah I know its bad and it sucks, but you know how music business is... All artist will have to do something do gain new fans sooner or later unfortunately, so it's normal to see some bands leave their early work behind (besides its an acoustic cd and they had to choose which songs to play... it would take a double cd to include all their good songs - they can't please all the fans). It pains me to see that in some bands as well (look at Evergrey, Within Temptation.. even Metallica and many others), but what can we do? Money talks louder to some people unfortunately.
BTW, they used 2 song from Alternative 4 on Hindsight. I guess it proves they're not entirely regretful of their work, right?
----
11.06.2010 - 22:34
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Dark Blood on 11.06.2010 at 22:01

Written by Elyar S. on 11.06.2010 at 20:03

I understand the contradiction from the lyrics in 'A Simple Mistake' and 'Shroud of Fate', but honestly I don't think it was their intention to say they made a mistake on their career. People tend to change their opinions over time and the way they think about life and other stuff. The experience changes throughout time, and that can cause a change of opinions on some subjects and how we see certain matters. Besides, those lyrics were written by different members, so it's normal that there are different points of views, you know. I completely understand what you are saying and feeling, but maybe you're being a little harsh on them: just because there is a contradictory phrase on a song called 'A Simple Mistake' doesn't mean they are referring to their career.

I understand that they only used one song from Eternity on Hindsight and none from previous albums... and yeah I know its bad and it sucks, but you know how music business is... All artist will have to do something do gain new fans sooner or later unfortunately, so it's normal to see some bands leave their early work behind (besides its an acoustic cd and they had to choose which songs to play... it would take a double cd to include all their good songs - they can't please all the fans). It pains me to see that in some bands as well (look at Evergrey, Within Temptation.. even Metallica and many others), but what can we do? Money talks louder to some people unfortunately.
BTW, they used 2 song from Alternative 4 on Hindsight. I guess it proves they're not entirely regretful of their work, right?

what is your opinion about I love youS in this new album? its not annoying that a good band like anthema cant write deeper lyrics? Flying or Are You There both have love themes and a lot of other songs but now they are talking about love like a pop band, I love you anyway its not my taste at least.
----
17.06.2010 - 20:48
the stranger
After many listens, this album is indeed a new direction, a much more optimistic vibe than on all their previous releases.
23.06.2010 - 15:52
Andresopeth
Well, i have listened the album some times and now i think that is good but it does not have that shocking Anathema's impact, it has some good songs but others are just in the average, i like a lot "Dreaming Light", "A Simple Mistake" and "Universal".

I guess this album is lacking of feelings and it has an overdose of progressive elements that do not fit with Anathema's releases, i miss guitar solos like in "Flying" and i miss desperate and sad voices like in "Are You There?", "Anyone, Anywhere" or so, i was expecting something like their previous 2 albums.

"Get Off Get Out" is not a Porcupine Tree song? the sound is exactly to that band.
29.06.2010 - 16:54
paulo figueiredo
Account deleted
The more i listen to it, the less i like...
30.06.2010 - 11:06
InnerSelf
proofread free
Actualy the more I listen to it I am finding it more beautiful some bad songs but the rest is very good
still better than 80% of the mainstream pop\rock acts
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
04.07.2010 - 09:12
Rating: 10
Album of the year!!
05.07.2010 - 19:42
Slyfang

what a sorry immature dumbf*ck you are. until you grow up, don't think that the world to respect your idiotic lowbrow opinions
07.07.2010 - 00:45
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Slyfang on 05.07.2010 at 19:42

what a sorry immature dumbf*ck you are. until you grow up, don't think that the world to respect your idiotic lowbrow opinions

A very nice way to explain yourself
----
is not bold enough
08.07.2010 - 15:53
Slyfang
Written by InnerSelf on 07.07.2010 at 00:45

can't get a message through if you don't speak in their language. i may be immature too in many ways, but it doesn't get any more retarded than someone thinking that anathema has to do what their "fans" want and only sing about misery and sadness. at least i'm not a type of person who would have a problem with people finding happiness in their lives, like some 13 year old tough guy wannabe who thinks love is for girls and sissies
08.07.2010 - 22:38
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Slyfang on 08.07.2010 at 15:53

Written by InnerSelf on 07.07.2010 at 00:45

can't get a message through if you don't speak in their language. i may be immature too in many ways, but it doesn't get any more retarded than someone thinking that anathema has to do what their "fans" want and only sing about misery and sadness. at least i'm not a type of person who would have a problem with people finding happiness in their lives, like some 13 year old tough guy wannabe who thinks love is for girls and sissies

I know his opinion is a bit immature and I totally agree with you " would you have posted this posty before I wouldn't have said anything "
I would not give a shit about the lyrical content as long as it is well written which in this case it is
----
is not bold enough
05.09.2010 - 09:37
IYAD
In this album .anathema had find finaly them hope....it was lost fom long time ago
23.09.2010 - 21:28
Vonpire
A simple Mistake is a great song!
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
14.10.2010 - 16:20
Glabrezu
Finally Anathema are back with a new album
Even if it's influenced by many bands, they kept their unique and magnificient songwriting.
My fav song is A simple mistake
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
20.10.2010 - 19:51
EtaArgus
Amazing album!!
27.10.2010 - 13:01
IYAD
SOME PPL ARE REALLY FROM OTHER PLANET AHAHAHAHAHHAHAA
29.12.2010 - 23:45
Kropy
Musicianship: 9
Vocal: 9
Atmosphere: 9
Melody: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10
CD Covers: 8

Best Songs:
03. Dreaming Light
05. Angels Walk Among Us [feat. Ville Valo]
09. Universal

Interesting Comments:
Elyar S.
Dark Blood
07.01.2011 - 07:47
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Definetly growing on me the more I listen to it...really sounding like Porcupine Tree which is fine by me!
----
rekt

Hits total: 31737 | This month: 39