Metal Storm logo
Judas Priest

Original post

Posted by Demonizer, 17.05.2006 - 17:11
ha! now I've got the opportunity to open a thread for my fav band, I'll certainly take it!!

So who else is curious about the new album?? apparantly the band is hoping to start their next tour in early 2007
12.06.2008 - 20:54
Baz Anderson
Staff
I shall see Judas Priest for the very first time tomorrow - wow, it shall be an experience!
12.06.2008 - 22:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 12.06.2008 at 20:54

I shall see Judas Priest for the very first time tomorrow - wow, it shall be an experience!

I have only seen them once and that was on the Painkiller tour where they were supported by Pantera and Annihilator, so I am not going to seee them again since they can now only disappoint me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.06.2008 - 01:14
Lord TJ
Marcel - Even though I never saw them live, I completely understand what your saying.

Written by Baz Anderson on 12.06.2008 at 20:54

You make me jealous! Promise me you'll make a concert review when you come back?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
13.06.2008 - 01:15
Baz Anderson
Staff
Haha of course, I have to in a way - it will be at the Download festival. it starts tomorrow.. I am packing (or should be) now.. I will be gone in the morning!
13.06.2008 - 01:23
Lord TJ
I really wanted to go to Download fest (that and plane tickets are a bitch of a cost!) because there were metal bands that I like, and punk bands my girlfriend likes (she is into punk rock).
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

13.06.2008 - 01:50
Baz Anderson
Staff
Haha, would have been perfect for you then..
Although I will miss half of the first day because I am setting off around midday sort of time.. I will miss Stone Gods and Firewind probably.. but we'll just have to see.
13.06.2008 - 06:15
Lord TJ
That'd be a bummer if you missed them, but hell, the other bands you will see will make up for it!
----

14.06.2008 - 01:30
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
The title track from 'Nostradamus' gets more and more epic every time I hear it. I wonder if the rest of the album will stand up to it?
----
The force will be with you, always.
14.06.2008 - 17:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 14.06.2008 at 01:30

The title track from 'Nostradamus' gets more and more epic every time I hear it. I wonder if the rest of the album will stand up to it?

IMO it is a very very mediocre album, overly long and everything mid-paced to ballads. Interludes which are even more boring. A 100+ minute bore. The albums with Ripper rip Nostradamus to shreds. Even Turbo is better than this one.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.06.2008 - 01:36
sonofdeath
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.06.2008 at 17:47

IMO it is a very very mediocre album, overly long and everything mid-paced to ballads. Interludes which are even more boring. A 100+ minute bore. The albums with Ripper rip Nostradamus to shreds. Even Turbo is better than this one.

yup, same opinion here. only 2 songs stand out, the rest is all similar. perhaps it still needs to grow a bit on me.
witch is sad, coz l was really looking forward to this one, defenitly because angel of retribution was a very fine album. they experimented a bit on that album, same as they are doing now. well, l've could have guessed it a bit (thinking of loch ness, the last track on aor) that they were going on a very epic tour. too bad it's not really my cup.
on to the next album shall we they allways bring good stuff after an experiment ^^
----
----When I drop dead, could you place a sixpack of beer besides me? I've heard it's quite hot in hell----
16.06.2008 - 21:43
Hellish Star

I don't agree at all. In my opinion this is a masterpiece. Listen to the album without thinking it is Judas Priest and you'll dicover, after multiple listens, a first class CD. This album contains superb vocals, shredding guitars, a dark atmosphere, .... I hear Heavy metal, epic metal, power metal, doom metal.... As a concept album it is very strong, give it a fair chance!

No, it isn't a typical Judas Priest album but that doesn't mean it is outstanding! Just as with "Jugulator", another masterpiece, the album shouldn't be released under the name of Judas Priest.

"Nostradamus" is one of the biggest surprises of the last years...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
16.06.2008 - 21:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hellish Star on 16.06.2008 at 21:43

I don't agree at all. In my opinion this is a masterpiece. Listen to the album without thinking it is Judas Priest and you'll dicover, after multiple listens, a first class CD. This album contains superb vocals, shredding guitars, a dark atmosphere, .... I hear Heavy metal, epic metal, power metal, doom metal.... As a concept album it is very strong, give it a fair chance!

No, it isn't a typical Judas Priest album but that doesn't mean it is outstanding! Just as with "Jugulator", another masterpiece, the album shouldn't be released under the name of Judas Priest.

I have given it about 30 spins now and still it doesn't do a thing and I find it boring and overdrawn. Especially the interludes fuck things up immensely. It is well produced and such but just too middle of the road it seems.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.06.2008 - 21:47
Hellish Star
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.06.2008 at 21:45

I have given it about 30 spins now and still it doesn't do a thing and I find it boring and overdrawn. Especially the interludes fuck things up immensely. It is well produced and such but just too middle of the road it seems.

Well, everybody has his opinion.

BTW; were you at Arrow yesterday? Didn't see you. Twisted fucking Sister ruled the festival!
----

16.06.2008 - 21:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hellish Star on 16.06.2008 at 21:47

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.06.2008 at 21:45

Well, everybody has his opinion.

BTW; were you at Arrow yesterday? Didn't see you. Twisted fucking Sister ruled the festival!

Alas, I couldn't be there. I wanted to go because of Twisted Sister, Whitesnake, Journey and Kiss but had prior obligations.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.06.2008 - 03:32
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
So, among others, I bought the new album today! I was so excited that I broke the case :/ Goddammit I hate those fucking stickers...I couldn't get it off so I just pulled the case apart, like I usually do, and it blew up and stabbed my poodle in his eye. I'm not very far into it yet, but it's not really hitting me so far. Of course it's good, but it kinda sounds like a generic version of Judas Priest but with a lot of weird keyboard *gets off so that 2 Mexicans can check their MySpace* uuhhm, well now I've lost my train of thought. I turned it off and played some brutal shit to get people with illegal shit away from me. Oh well...I'll listen to it tomorrow I guess >:(

The booklet is really tight.
18.06.2008 - 05:59
Judas
The Amputator
Well, after the first song I was very apprehensive about the new album. It shitted me off no end, what with the irritating "I am Nostradamus" chorus and the boring mid-paced guitars etc etc. But each song after that brought the smile back to my face, which was most pleasing. 'Revelations', despite the incredibly unoriginal track name and the obvious rhymes, turned out to be really cool, and 'Pestilence and Plague' made me cream my proverbial pants. I don't think any of the other songs captured me quite as much as this one though, except for perhaps the title track. A solid release, I reckon, with the only complaints being the lack of variation in tempo and too many fucking interludes.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
18.06.2008 - 13:43
Neige
I'd agree the tempo variation is very lacklustre. However, it's still the same Halford, and he sounds as excellent as ever. (As well as K.K. and Glenn of course!) It's an enjoyable listen, and is really pretty bitchin' for a concept album (compared to W.A.S.P's- Kill Fuck Die for instance.) I actually like the second track with the "I am Nostradamus" chorus line. It's kinda catchy.
18.06.2008 - 22:29
destroyah
supercharger
Elite
Ok, "Nostradamus"...

Despite it being an awfully tedious and boring album, I actually went through it in one go. It almost killed me. But I understand that it is a concept album and in that sense it possibly may hold some value to die hard Priest fans. Alas, even if it is a concept album, I found it just too darn boring in the long run. The songwriting may be rather decent, but that just don't cut it for me. i expected more variation, and specifically, much more heavyness. Instead, "Nostradamus" was one massive ballad-pack.

23 tracks, clocking in at 1h 40m is way too much.
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
18.06.2008 - 23:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I listened to more of it and I think it's my least favorite album by them. It's such a boring piece of shit filled with useless ballads. Even though Judas Priest are one of my favorite bands ever, I can't say I'm really disappointed because concept albums and double disc albums usually fucking suck, and I wasn't impressed with their single before the album came out. I still haven't heard the last three songs on both discs though.

The one positive thing I can say is that it flows really well. I can rarely tell when a track starts or stops.
19.06.2008 - 00:34
mankvill
OOH, they just announced a one-off concert here in Kansas City! I can't wait!
19.06.2008 - 00:41
mankvill
Oh, and I've only given Nostradamus really one listen-through, but I thought it was okay. Although it definitely is long and boring in some parts.
19.06.2008 - 03:58
I'm seeing Judas Priest for the first time in August!!!!! I might get their new album
20.06.2008 - 17:37
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Baz Anderson on 13.06.2008 at 01:50

Haha, would have been perfect for you then..
Although I will miss half of the first day because I am setting off around midday sort of time.. I will miss Stone Gods and Firewind probably.. but we'll just have to see.

well, how was it?
21.06.2008 - 02:22
OneSnareHit
Account deleted
There last album was a real disappointment to me...
Hope they will comeback from this
21.06.2008 - 03:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Their latest is just PURE crap. If you suffer from insomnia then you should put this one oin cause it will put you to sleep within one to three songs max.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.06.2008 - 05:58
Lord TJ
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.06.2008 at 03:07

Their latest is just PURE crap. If you suffer from insomnia then you should put this one oin cause it will put you to sleep within one to three songs max.

I expected that...

Written by [user id=33366] on 21.06.2008 at 02:22

Their glory days are long over my friend, that and they are going to need walkers soon.
----

21.06.2008 - 06:01
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I wouldn't say their glory days are over just yet. Angel of Retribution is a killer album, so I'm hoping their next album will be a return to greatness. Rob still sounds good!
21.06.2008 - 12:30
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by Lord TJ on 21.06.2008 at 05:58

I expected that...

Written by [user id=33366] on 21.06.2008 at 02:22

Their glory days are long over my friend, that and they are going to need walkers soon.

I should agree to all that.
well...we can always open a classic disk
21.06.2008 - 18:49
Lord TJ
Written by Dangerboner on 21.06.2008 at 06:01

I wouldn't say their glory days are over just yet. Angel of Retribution is a killer album, so I'm hoping their next album will be a return to greatness. Rob still sounds good!

Their glory days were late 70's and throughout the 80's when heavy metal was new and big. When Owens entered it basically killed their popularity, without Rob they are not Judas Priest. When they came back with AoR you could tell just by hearing the vocals that Rob is getting old, he can still scream, but not like before.

Times change, they aren't as popular like back then, but they are still legends and will always be respected amongst many.
----

22.06.2008 - 09:31
Hellish Star

I've told you before; that's your meaning! A lot of other people adore this new disc... At least let the people decide for them self

@Lord TJ: Judas Priest didn't lose that much of their popularity and is still one of the most respected bands. The problem is that the metal scène is overcrowded nowadays and they have to share the popularity with a lot of other bands. About Tim Owens; bashing him ain't fair. He was there when Halford decided to leave Judas Priest and Owens did a fantastic job. "Jugulator" is a fantastic album... Same counts for Tim Owens and Iced Earth...
----