Metal Storm logo
Is there a "World greatest metal band"

Original post

Posted by arwestromen, 18.07.2010 - 16:06
What I mean with the topic is is there a metal band that are above every other metal band out there
If you think you know the answer describe why you think this band are the #1 band...and please don't take an underground band that only you and three other knows about.
I want serious answers why you think the band is on top of the metal mountain, is it because of their music, fan size, live shows, record sale, popularity, legacy etc
01.08.2011 - 19:57
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Author on 01.08.2011 at 19:51

Well acquired tastes occur in every facet of music: black, death, doom, noise etc. I had to learn to like black metal.

I am not sure whether we're talking about the same thing here. For me, getting into any genre is simple enough once I discover a great band in that genre just like getting into a band is easy enough once I discover a great song from them. In the case of black metal, there were several artists that I liked immediately, such as Enslaved, Bal-Sagoth and Immortal. But with Opeth, I had heard many of their albums over and over again and still didn't care for them, until suddenly I did. I still can't quite explain it to this day.
01.08.2011 - 20:00
arwestromen
FUCK...I forgot about this thread....I appreciate everyones contribution.....eventhough some of the discution has gone waaay to far on the philosophical side.....I'm also quite ashamed to say this but one of our members used the N-word in this thread (N-word = NOOB or noob or NooB or nOOb etc.
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
01.08.2011 - 20:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Author on 01.08.2011 at 19:57

I am not sure whether we're talking about the same thing here. For me, getting into any genre is simple enough once I discover a great band in that genre just like getting into a band is easy enough once I discover a great song from them. In the case of black metal, there were several artists that I liked immediately, such as Enslaved, Bal-Sagoth and Immortal. But with Opeth, I had heard many of their albums over and over again and still didn't care for them, until suddenly I did. I still can't quite explain it to this day.

Personally I wouldn't say those 3 bands are sufficiently representative of black metal to say you're really into the genre frankly (I'm gonna assume your tastes of those bands are limited to the lighter black metal sides; later Enslaved, Immortal's Heart of Winter etc. Especially as there's a precedent to suggest later Enslaved and Bal Sagoth isn't black metal anymore. I can't see you listening to Frost or Pure Holocaust for example). As I was saying some things need to learned as it were, repeatedly listening to something you don't quite get until you do. An acquired taste. I forced myself to listen to Transylvanian Hunger until it clicked. Like you with Opeth.
01.08.2011 - 22:02
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by thrashtilldeaf on 01.08.2011 at 17:27

Written by Author on 01.08.2011 at 04:40

No, they're not the only thrash band to incorporate nu metal elements, Destruction did it several years before Metallica, as did Sepultura. And of course it's ridiculous to respect a band for conforming to the trends of the time.

LOL. U DNT NO ANYTHING ABUT METAL. METTALLICCA AND SEPLTURA ARE NOT NU METAL. SUCH NOOB.

Roots was a full on nu metal album, and St. Anger incorporated some elements of nu metal. I assume that you're trolling though, so this post is meaningless. Oh well.
02.08.2011 - 08:18
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Author on 01.08.2011 at 22:02

No, they're not the only thrash band to incorporate nu metal elements, Destruction did it several years before Metallica, as did Sepultura. And of course it's ridiculous to respect a band for conforming to the trends of the time.

LOL. U DNT NO ANYTHING ABUT METAL. METTALLICCA AND SEPLTURA ARE NOT NU METAL. SUCH NOOB.

Roots was a full on nu metal album, and St. Anger incorporated some elements of nu metal. I assume that you're trolling though, so this post is meaningless. Oh well.

This looks like another one from Cynic's posse
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
03.08.2011 - 11:25
Written by Author on 01.08.2011 at 22:02

Roots iz nt thhat poser nu metal stuffs. its death metal. And st anger is just manestream.
07.08.2011 - 05:52
Misfit74
If there is a 'most talented muscial deathmetal band that can blow you away with how good they are' it would surely be Opeth. They are on a plane of their own, but only specific to what they do. They are the best at what they do.

Unfortunately, one large umbrella doesn't serve the differences in various styles of music/genre/sub-genres. And, labels for bands are another Pandora's box. Is Decapitated the same genre as Destruction and Sodom? Etc.

There can never be one. Music is too diverse. There are a fantastic number of excellent, special bands that are good (or, even the best) at what they do.
07.08.2011 - 06:02
Mattybu
People, there is. STRYPER.

To someone out there. And to another person, it's Metallica. And to another person, it's The Backstreet Boys... Maybe not them, but the point is, "Greatest Band" is totally opinion, therefore this thread doesn't need to exist. No matter how I slice it, I can't see a way for greatness to be tangibly measured... Fans? No, people are stupid, and like music for the wrong reasons a lot of the time. Album sales? Pffftt. Puh-lease. A lot of that ties in with the luck or getting discovered, other bullshit like "the british steal!" and bands getting album sales for crap just because they're the band they are *cough Iron Maiden cough*. So what's left. Quality of the music? Well, that's up to the listener. So back to the beginning, it's an opinion.
15.08.2011 - 14:21
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Why not? We all see the world the way we want to. and with different views and perspectives on the World around us,why not having a few highlights in different aspects of our world?
I mean art, sports, literature, politics, Anything that exists on the real world!
(of course much is to be discussed about the Term "World", like whether is it an umbrella name for everything or a term to define a part of what exists around us?)
and IMO, the greatest band in the world is...Judas Priest!
15.08.2011 - 14:33
Yavanna
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 06.06.2011 at 16:43

Written by JÄY on 06.06.2011 at 16:23

Yes... dethklok, of course

DETHKLOK! \m/... Thats br00tal.....

+ 1
DIE FOR DETHKLOK
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
16.08.2011 - 15:51
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
I don't think there is, but if I should choose one then I select the mighty Iron Maiden.
30.01.2012 - 00:09
lordchadi
There s no no: 1 metal band
each no 1 for any1 wont be no1 for other
the people here say opeth no 1 for me i hate opeth & i will never listen to em they kill me with boring
& some bands have some good moments & reach the top
i remember when metallica make the live shit i thought then they r no 1 with this huge success they made
& for another thing when u make a comparison it must be between two or more things from the same type & thats not happen in metal cause metal is many genre & sub-genre so the rules that work for trash didnt work for black etc...
01.02.2012 - 11:46
listmor
Granted, it is not possible to name the alltime worlds best metal band, however, when Agent Orange was released for that moment in time Sodom was the world's greatest metal band.
01.02.2012 - 13:59
Zombie94
No such thing. Art isn't something you can measure and put a number on, it's subjective. But in my opinion Amon Amarth are really kicking ass at this moment in time. I have yet to listen to a shitty album of theirs and they have a perfect combination of melody and heaviness; songs you can sing along to and headbang to, much like Iron Maiden and Metallica of the 80s. Of course my opinion will probably change when I discover a new and even more awesome band. That's the beauty of music: the old stuff never changes and always stays classic and yet every year somebody does something new that completely blows your mind.
03.02.2012 - 00:04
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
The answer is obviously Manowar. No one is greater than they are at being or playing metal. And everyone loves them.
03.02.2012 - 00:28
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Author on 03.02.2012 at 00:04

The answer is obviously Manowar. No one is greater than they are at being or playing metal. And everyone loves them.

obvious troll is obvious.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.02.2012 - 00:53
Zombie94
Why no love for Manowar on this forum?
03.02.2012 - 01:50
Opan
Account deleted
For me that was Iron Maiden, until last stupid album.

That is 100% worst Iron Maiden stuff...Long Live 80's albums and great 80's bands...UP THE IRONS
03.02.2012 - 02:14
RavenKing
Written by Author on 03.02.2012 at 01:50

That is 100% worst Iron Maiden stuff...Long Live 80's albums and great 80's bands...UP THE IRONS

As much as I dislike "The Final Frontier", it's still not as bad as "Virtual XI". You can't get any shittier than that.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
03.02.2012 - 02:32
Lit.
Account deleted
What is it with you people?
It's obviously Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden or Judas Priest.
03.02.2012 - 02:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I am a casual fan of them but isn't it Metallica?
----
rekt
03.02.2012 - 23:34
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Author on 03.02.2012 at 02:32

What is it with you people?
It's obviously Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden or Judas Priest.

Great, now we have bronies telling us who is the world's greatest metal artist.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
03.02.2012 - 23:59
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by Zombie94 on 03.02.2012 at 00:53

I do enjoy Manowar, but they are not the worlds greatest metal band.
04.02.2012 - 00:10
Zombie94
Written by Author on 03.02.2012 at 23:59

Nah I was just highlighting that a lot of metal heads on this forum seem to totally abhor them
04.02.2012 - 00:48
Opan
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 03.02.2012 at 02:14

Written by Author on 03.02.2012 at 01:50

As much as I dislike "The Final Frontier", it's still not as bad as "Virtual XI". You can't get any shittier than that.

Don't get me wrong, Blaze sucks I know that, but on the Virtual there are some great song like Lightning Strikes Twice andThe Clansmen, but on Frontier there is no one thet my ears can stand...That's why I say TFF is the worst...
04.02.2012 - 00:52
Opan
Account deleted
Written by Zombie94 on 04.02.2012 at 00:10

Written by Author on 03.02.2012 at 23:59

Nah I was just highlighting that a lot of metal heads on this forum seem to totally abhor them

I also like Manowar and it's one of my favorites...but also I like Savatage (people dislke them a lot like Manowar)...I always say to people every band in the world, bad or god, hated or loed, mush have one great song...so we can't say that there is greatest metal bend in the world...
04.02.2012 - 01:06
SSM
Massacred
The world greatest metal band is... I just forget it's name...
They are the best and the greatest musicians... but I just don't remember their names...

Conclusion: IMO, People have different attitudes and distinct thoughts.
As a result, there are different bands and diverse music out there and there's no "need" to compare them
and title one of them "the greatest metal band" or something like that. They are just different, you know what I mean?
So, IMO, the world greatest metal band is a band which I can't remember.
04.02.2012 - 01:08
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Everyone has a number one band, that's impossible to say. And nay band suck in something... ANY BAND!

Metallica...er... You already know!
04.02.2012 - 01:45
Opan
Account deleted
Written by Author on 04.02.2012 at 01:08

Everyone has a number one band, that's impossible to say. And nay band suck in something... ANY BAND!

Metallica...er... You already know!

Nice words you are the man...

any band have they sun shining but they also have their bad moments...
04.02.2012 - 01:49
Zombie94
Written by Author on 04.02.2012 at 00:52

I also like Manowar and it's one of my favorites...but also I like Savatage (people dislke them a lot like Manowar)...I always say to people every band in the world, bad or god, hated or loed, mush have one great song...so we can't say that there is greatest metal bend in the world...

All I have from Savatage is 'Hall Of The Mountain King'. It's a pretty good heavy metal record. They're old school, I like 'em too. But I think the Manowar hate comes more from their image and perhaps the themes of their songs. Oh well, good music is something different for everyone and I love Manowar