Album: Obscure Rising
Release date: February 2010

01. Sweet Little Sin
02. Phantom Pain
03. Astral Cathedral
04. Land Of Ashes
05. Sister Of Obscurity
06. Slave

Whoa, another Epica meets Nightwish band.

Seriously?
OK, I have to admit, this is a pretty bad way to start a review. Even if it's true, it's a limited statement, as there's thankfully more more to say on this Obscure Rising EP?

You've guessed, Entropia are a symphonic metal band with a female singer. As stated before, Epica and Nightwish are the two main influences, but one can catch glimpses of things a bit different: a little whiff of craziness not unlike Unexpect, and maybe some Dismal Euphony on the most extreme parts.
The musicians are already quite good, but the one who shines all throughout this EP is singer Marie Rouyer. She does all the vocals, from the clean, clear singing (quite superb), to the operatic stuff (which do sound a bit forced, contrary to the rest), to the death grunts? So yes, she's quite impressive as she's very varied. In a way, she does remind me of Tarja on Angels Fall First, as she reaches her limits quite often, but I'm sure it's nothing some more practice won't overcome.

The songwriting is not bad in itself, but it still bears too strongly the marks of the style's masters. There are already hints at some originality however, in some keyboards parts, or with the quite heavier tone of this release.
However, it's quite high to really appreciate this perks, because of the production. Symphonic metal must have a clear, powerful and well produced sound to be effective and interesting, right? And that's sadly not the case. While not muddy in any way, it's a bit blurry, particularly the guitars, which have almost no edge at all. And the keys quite often sound totally over-the-top, a bit too pompous compared to the rest...

So, despite its inherent flaws, this EP made me feel that Entropia are quite promising, in no small part due to Marie's raw talent. Both the songwriting and production problems can be solved, and they will have to, if the band wants to be recognized worldwide?

Written on 23.07.2010 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 116 users
23.07.2010 - 13:43
Ag Fox
Angel No More
In the live video they posted, the guitarist was doing the grunts. but anyway, nice review. my interest has obviously perked up. hopefully they can improve with their full length
----
loves 小巫
23.07.2010 - 13:56
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Ag Fox on 23.07.2010 at 13:43

In the live video they posted, the guitarist was doing the grunts. but anyway, nice review. my interest has obviously perked up. hopefully they can improve with their full length

I didn't check the videos... And for all I know, Marie is credited with all the vocals... I'll have a look later!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
23.07.2010 - 14:00
GT
Coffee!!
Sounds pretty interesting. I'll check them out
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
23.07.2010 - 17:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ag Fox on 23.07.2010 at 13:43

From their MySpace bio:
Quote:

In November, 2008 the band released a 4 titles CD The Dark Pages and played in Paris at the Metal Ladies Fest. On that occasion Marie had a go at grunt and impressed the audience with her ability to shift from a lyrical voice to a throaty one.

Sure it isn't the greatest translation offered by a band, but the fact that she does all vocals is right there.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.07.2010 - 20:36
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Well... I was merely referring to the video that I saw they posted on their official website. Anyway, I guess who does the grunts is not too important to me, but how the growls sound.
----
loves 小巫
24.07.2010 - 04:11
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Definitely like the first track on the EP, thanks for reviewing, Momo It's a lot more aggressive than the Nightwish/ (or even Epica really) reference suggests. I really like the vocals starting around 2:16, as they are devoid of the background harmonies and allow Marie to become increasingly aggressive as the verse goes on. Could be worth picking up for a good price
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley

Hits total: 4014 | This month: 2